Solskjaer's legacy and his future

redflash

He did the job he was asked to do and people are too quick to forget that. When he arrived we were in disarray. Fans at the game spent more time in the terraces than watching the matches and most I spoke to had stopped enjoying game. The squad was bloated with over paid dross and the team had lost its way big time. Ole turned that around big time and got us in the right direction.

Now I'm not for one second saying he should/could have kept his job. Having turned us round we needed to kick on and start winning and although he could get us close he couldn't take that extra step. In the end the players let him down massively with some shocking performances but with hindsight maybe that's what was needed to take action on a situation before it came truly toxic.

I'll always love Ole, as a player and as a manager he always gave this club everything and he's the true definition of a legend.

So sad as well that we lost Carrick this week. Not enough praise has ever been given to that man, but he's given us 15 year.

Thank you Ole and Michael

RUCK4444

Typical predictable negative posters jumping in on cue. Ironically they will probably miss Ole more than the posters who like the guy.

They will have to find something else to feed their full time negative posting.

Im worried for some, hope Ralf gets a good start or it will be ‘what’s he actually won’ and ‘why hasn’t he managed a big club before.’

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I hammered Ole for his managerial shortcomings, but I was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon and sentenced to 25 years in prison.

MalaysianRed7

Most of us fans know what he is. A Legend. He gave his all for the dream job not his fault the directors are idiots. Nothing but respect for Ole. But his tenure is a typical example of not overstaying your welcome.
This is spot on. He should have been sacked long before he was, maybe even after the Villarreal debacle. However, he never ever stopped working and is not giving the new man any advice he is qualified to. I was a fervent critic because some games, especially the Liverpool and City ones were genuinely putrid and disgraceful, but I don’t think it’s right for anyone to continue digging him out now. I’ve seen people criticising him (in a serious way) for speaking to Ralf.

When he arrived we were in disarray.
As opposed to how we were when he left :lol:. On less points, in worse league position, worse GD and after 4 humilations to Leicester, Liverpool, City & Watford.

Ole’s an absolute legend and seems a genuinely lovely bloke, but he did nothing remotely special here as manager, and ultimately left the club more in disarray than Mourinho and with zero trophies to show for it.

Last edited:

Salford_Red83

He was a great player, a legend that helped us win the treble. By all accounts a good person.
But he was a terrible manager who's successes with us, in whatever form they took, are vastly overstated.

However, it's done. It's over. Ole is gone. Let's just move on.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole will always be a legend at the club. Just look at OT singing his name against Arsenal. The man loved the club and gave it his all, it wasn't good enough and yeah that happens in life.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in what people write on here. They don't really represent the true opinions of Utd fans. Caf is now full of smart arse wannabes who think they are tactical masterminds because they watch some YouTube videos and read a few Twitter threads.

The fans at OT and guys you meet in person would be a better representation of the real fans of this club. Most of them still do and will always hold Ole in high regard, and recognise his efforts for the club, both as a player and as a manager.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He was a difficult trainer but a great personality. Also think he performed ok at a national level.

Polar

Ole was centimetres or a EC trophy from a superb season (20/21). He had a good record against better teams, silver in PL and new away record:)

He obviously struggled to find the right balance in the team and things were not perfect, but to many on this forum was disrespectful and didn’t give him the credit he deserved (last season).

This season everyone could see Ole wasn’t able to bring us further; shortcoming principles.

Anyway… I think he left United in a much better state than Jose. Today the team at least have great potential. So in my opinion Ole managed to build a great foundation for the next manager.

Ralf is the right person to bring the team further and harvest the fruit of Ole’s work. He likely complements Ole’s shortcomings perfectly and I’m not surprised if United is on fire very very soon.

Top 3 and a trophy… Here we come:cool:

Eplel

Some facts.

1. Ole is a club legend, and that will not change. His contribution as a player is outstanding, and all fans should be thankful for it.
2. Ole is not a good manager, and should not have been given 3 years. It was apparent early on that he lacks the managerial chops to manage in this level.
3. Manchester City suck
4. Ole probably stuck with the club not out of ego, but out of sheer tyranny of will to try and improve the situation

Jackal981

The man has walked from the club. Just let him be. No need for more bashing and insults. This is coming from one of “OleOut” posters. You can check my post history regarding him.

Smores

Don't think he reads the caf. You probably want to write to the club directly preferably in blood and newspaper clippings so they know your love is really true.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
i hammered ole for his managerial shortcomings, but i was right.
:lol:
I’m looking forward to Ole soon being praised for any success that Ragnick achieves. :drool:
A mate of mine, on a WhatsApp group have already said as much :lol:

“Foundations”!

But yeah, Ole will always be a club legend in my view. His managerial stint didn’t tarnish that for me - even though it was clear as day that he was way out of his depth.

passtheball

Ole was centimetres or a EC trophy from a superb season (20/21). He had a good record against better teams, silver in PL and new away record:)

He obviously struggled to find the right balance in the team and things were not perfect, but to many on this forum was disrespectful and didn’t give him the credit he deserved (last season).

This season everyone could see Ole wasn’t able to bring us further; shortcoming principles.

Anyway… I think he left United in a much better state than Jose. Today the team at least have great potential. So in my opinion Ole managed to build a great foundation for the next manager.

Ralf is the right person to bring the team further and harvest the fruit of Ole’s work. He likely complements Ole’s shortcomings perfectly and I’m not surprised if United is on fire very very soon.

Top 3 and a trophy… Here we come:cool:
Finishing 2nd (12 points behind City) is now called getting a silver in PL :lol:

Supporters of Ole really have no shame. Get over it boys. He is gone.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I had the strangest dream last night. It involved the entire season getting worse with Ralf and finishing up in May with Woody doing a huge shock Hollywood style premier. The presentation starts with snowstorm, think the movie 'Cliffhanger '. Slowly a figure emerges from the howling blizzard, head covered in snow goggles and Greta Thunberg type wool hat. The figure holds out a strong arm to the audience to rescue the situation from certain destruction. The camera regaining balance pans up to the figure and the figure removes the headgear throwing their head back in a Pamela Anderson style hair flick.its none other than Ole , the Iceman returns, smiling......to save the day ...again....and whips out a pot noodle to revive the stricken victim. it even had a voiceover from feckin Zlatan!!

AndySmith1990

Do we really need to continue making threads about Solskjaer? He's a very poor manager and rightly got sacked just shy of 2 weeks ago. We've spent three years discussing him. Isn't it boring now?

As for him being a legend; so is Cantona. Let's talk about him instead, he's far more interesting as a person.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Great player. Exemplary loyal servant. Legend of his own rights. Cult status.

Retired

Managerial wise : the worst EPL era manager, wasted half a billion on deadwoods, lack of vision and tactical nous his tactics are non existent, an FM generated ole on auto simulation would fare better, pretended to love the club yet dragging the club to oblivion while refusing to step down until rightly sacked, covering himself with yes men to cover for his inadequacies, yet hailed as the best thing since sliced bread because he talks a good pointer.

So... i think i got him right.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole will always be a legend at the club. Just look at OT singing his name against Arsenal. The man loved the club and gave it his all, it wasn't good enough and yeah that happens in life.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in what people write on here. They don't really represent the true opinions of Utd fans. Caf is now full of smart arse wannabes who think they are tactical masterminds because they watch some YouTube videos and read a few Twitter threads.

The fans at OT and guys you meet in person would be a better representation of the real fans of this club. Most of them still do and will always hold Ole in high regard, and recognise his efforts for the club, both as a player and as a manager.
Effort? The guy barely has a leg to stand up 90 minutes on the sidelines.

It irks me so much that a fit young coach as him, supposedly so loved the club cant even find the will to stand on the sideline barking instructions or at least cheerleading his battered squad that's being outplayed by livepool and city.

Pep stood in the rain even when his team is leading.

Robocrap

A poor manager that shouldn't have got the full time job after the interim period. So in the end the fault lies on the board and the Glazers as usual.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Effort? The guy barely has a leg to stand up 90 minutes on the sidelines.

It irks me so much that a fit young coach as him, supposedly so loved the club cant even find the will to stand on the sideline barking instructions or at least cheerleading his battered squad that's being outplayed by livepool and city.

Pep stood in the rain even when his team is leading.
I don’t know if this is satire, but if you’re being serious then this is so stupid a point that it doesn’t even merit any further comment .

Will Singh

There’s no doubt Ole is a true United fan and legend. But we’ve got to move on and show some respect to our new manager. Some fans will credit Ole if we beat Palace on Sunday the way there going!

RedRover

Seems like a nice man. Legend of a player.

Had no business being the manager of Manchester United. Hopelessly out of his depth and it will (or should) have been obvious to him for ages. He's not the only one at fault but takes his share of the responsibility. There's barely anything positive to take from his time as manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As opposed to how we were when he left :lol:. On less points, in worse league position, worse GD and after 4 humilations to Leicester, Liverpool, City & Watford.

Ole’s an absolute legend and seems a genuinely lovely bloke, but he did nothing remotely special here as manager, and ultimately left the club more in disarray than Mourinho and with zero trophies to show for it.
Absolute bullshit. Just trying to make a poem to act like what you say has substance.

Ronaldo - Zlatan
Bruno- Mkhitarayan
Maguire - Bailly
Cavani - Lukaku
Varane - Lindelof
VDB - Fred
Sancho - Sanchez :lol:
Heaton- Lee Grant
AWB - Diego Dalot

Jose signings that are incomparable-Matic and Pogba
Ole signings that are the same - Amad, Pellestri & Telles.

If you think we were worse off after Ole then that's just delusional.

Using the fact we ended lower than Jose's season to make a statement that we were in a bad state - pretending like managers get sacked after winning titles or something. Pochettino went from a CL final to hardly any points - got sacked. Doesn't mean he left them in a bad state.

Idxomer

The guy refused to upgrade his coaches, gave a little regard to his players' fitness, believed he's above tactics and coaching, and thought it best to take a 9 day holiday after getting hammered by Liverpool and City. These aren't the actions of a man who did his best for the club during the last 3 years.

As a player, he deserves all the praise for all of his 126 goals. He was one hell of a finisher.

As a manager, he deserves all the criticism that came his way and probably a bit more, because most people treated him with kid gloves.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hammered Ole for his managerial shortcomings, but the club steering comitee was wrong to put him in permanent position in the first place.

I'm intestered if this experience turns out beneficial for Ole in the long term. He's leaving with a very bad reputation.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Finishing 2nd (12 points behind City) is now called getting a silver in PL :lol:

Europa League trophy away from a superb season. We shouldn't have even been in that competition with such a squad.

Foxbatt

We are in our current mid table because of him. The others have run away with the league. We will be extremely lucky if we make the 4th this season.
Ralf doesn't have the time to turn it around this season. With this squad we should be among the top 4 at least and maybe even the top 2?

Polar

Ole didn’t meet everyone’s expectations last season. In the end he meet nobody’s expectations.

Now it’s time to move on and see if Ralf is able to fulfil the potential of the team Ole build. That’s something we shouldn’t forget talking about Ole’s legacy :)

Ralf is perfect for us right now and I think he’ll improve our play immediately. I’m very very exited and look forward to se him in action.

Credit to people who managed to bring him to United. Think it was a very smart move.

Max_United

Absolute bullshit. Just trying to make a poem to act like what you say has substance.

Ronaldo - Zlatan
Bruno- Mkhitarayan
Maguire - Bailly
Cavani - Lukaku
Varane - Lindelof
VDB - Fred
Sancho - Sanchez :lol:
Heaton- Lee Grant
AWB - Diego Dalot

Jose signings that are incomparable-Matic and Pogba
Ole signings that are the same - Amad, Pellestri & Telles.

If you think we were worse off after Ole then that's just delusional.

Using the fact we ended lower than Jose's season to make a statement that we were in a bad state - pretending like managers get sacked after winning titles or something. Pochettino went from a CL final to hardly any points - got sacked. Doesn't mean he left them in a bad state.
There is no doubt that on paper the signings under Ole have been better. There are however two important caveats to that:

1. By all indications after Fergie the manager does not have ultimate power over signings. We do not know how much of the effect was due to Ole, and how much due to other members of transfer committee learning from mistakes from the past. I think it is likely both. So it is fair to give Ole some credit here - but limited, and it is not fair to pin all the blame for him for, say, signing of VdB. But I do not agree with the narrative that he singlehandedly transformed our transfer policy.

2. Our squad is (whilst better on paper) still unbalanced, bloated and built for short-term success:

a) we did not sign many players that are u23 and are close to first eleven (at least squad/rotation players) and look like they could cement their place for a decade if all goes well and relieve next mangers from the need to sign a new player for the position for a long time. Yes, not easy to find them. Yes, for each Ronaldo or Rooney you have Nani or even Anderson. But basically under Ole we singed only Sanco that fits this description now, which is not enough. The likes of Amad or Hannibal are still very far from first team unfortunately.

b) We still have quite a bit of deadwood: 4 senior goalkeepers for some reason, Jones still there, Mata still there, Martial is a fringe player on huge wages.

c) There are quite a few first-team players that are either likely to leave like Pogba, or are close to retirement like Ronaldo and Cavani, or are a question marks like AwB, Maguire. Varane is not young and struggling with injuries. Even Shaw and DDG are question marks long term albeit smaller ones.

d) Central midfield. Nuff said.

Overall, I would not be surprised if we have quite a bit of player turnover over the next 2-3 years. I am therefore having trouble with "laying the foundations" and "did a rebuild job" argument. Yes, due to player quality Ole's successor (s) will have a chance of trophies over the next year or two with better coaches staff and a couple of additions - and might be able to improve some players to reduce the need to splash the cash.

BUT - from what Rangnick said (he did subtly hint at the fact that the squad is unbalanced and bloated) and from what his history suggests - I would expect (and hope) for much more signings of young players for the first ream (which we did not do under Ole bar Sancho), more promotions of youth (which we did not do under Ole bar Greenwood) and sell fringe players on significant wages (which we did under Ole, but not enough - and it remains to be seen if some of the Ole-era signings join the new deadwood list, just like some - initially lauded - Jose and LvG signings did over time. Remember how Ole was praised for summer 2019 transfer window and how questionable it looks now).

TL/DR: Ole deserved some limited credit for improved transfer policy, but no way you can credit him for doing a rebuild, as very likely a new rebuild will still be needed over the next years.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

The fact we are where we are now is entirely due to him. We are not even in the top 7.

Firestorm

He steadied the ship after the dark years with Maureen and brought back some fun in the club. Apart from Bruno and bringing back Ronaldo never actually improved the squad in any real way. No other top club would have taken on Ole with his managerial record..his luck eventually ran out.

Last edited: