Solskjaer's legacy and his future

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We should kill this thread.

His only legacy is saddling the squad with loads of undertrained players who pout the moment anyone wants them to get out of their comfort zone.

He's a shit manager and that's it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Stop it. This is so obviously made up it wouldn't make a fictional script. So we didn't buy a midfielder because of Pogba but it was okay to buy Sancho and Ronaldo in an area of the field where we were even stronger .Pogba doesn't block reinforcements in the defensive midfield either. Matic and Mctominay aren't exactly competing with Pogba.

"We've spent years blaming the manager when personnel in the most important position on the pitch matter more.". Yeah so did Ole embezzle the 500m we gave him?
Ole plays a big factor why we are in this mess, just no two ways about it

KingCavani

The people who said he left us in a worse state than Mourinho - Just laughable.

Mourinho left us with legitimate assets. Lukaku has gone for over £150m in transfer fees since, whether justified or not. Martial and Pogba still had value. The older squad players’ contracts were winding down. The only disastrous contract on the books was Alexis and even that got sorted pretty easily.

It was actually pretty easy to formulate a rebuild from there. Ole bottled it but it wasn’t all his fault. The terrible recruitment plagued Mourinho and his predecessor too and the process by which we would sign players under LVG seemed laughably amateurish.

Under Ole we took it to another level - He inherited an already bloated squad and somehow packed it with even more dross. Opportunities to move on Matic, Mata, Jones, Lingard, Bailly were spurned in favour of new contracts. The recruitment managed to get even worse - At least under Jose the profile of player made sense. Under Ole we signed bizarrely ill fitting players with no discerning pattern. The Brexit FC window of 2019 is probably the worst in club history and the only reason it didn’t doom Ole there and then is the Bruno signing in January.

We gave bizarrely overpriced contracts to Martial, Rashford and De Gea than no club in Europe would even consider. Two player who’d never shown consistency over a long period and a guy who had been out of form for 18 months. The process is broken and everyone who signed off on these nonsensical deals should be purged from the club. Highest wage bill in the league and we’ve routinely outplayed all season. It’s a disgrace. Ole and those above him are a disgrace.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm gutted we didn't get to see this.

Henderson
Trippier - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Rice
Bruno - Pogba/VDB
Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford

Think this was his plan if he had continued to buy the players he was linked with.

Either Ole or the Glazers made a mistake in going for Ronaldo which stopped the front line of
Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford​
happening, with players like Greenwood turning back to a RW and our arguable RW singing turning to a LW as well.

Jackal981

I don't know how but this needs to be written and seen by everyone at this club.
Its like a moron who is trying to build the best car without learning the basics. Buying the most expensive sports car chassis, the most expensive hatchback engine, the most expensive truck wheels, etc and trying to assemble them as a car. We end up with this jumbled frankenstein mess of a squad

Last edited:

mctrials23

Excellent post. To answer your question of why fans accept our current status. I think that is due to the Glazers turning Man Utd from a football club into a brand and there non-stop shameless PR. They can’t talk about winning anymore so they make it all about our culture and icons.

We have fans now who now prefer our manager to be a Man Utd legend than an actual decent manager. It’s the same with the players, a lot of fans prefer watching legends/social
Media stars such as Ronaldo, Pogba and Lingard more than actual decent signings. It’s not sustainable though.
I think you are right. Its the perfect manipulation and the fans have just helped them.

The younger generation care more about learning Pogbas latest dance or celebration and following the tiktok and instas of their favourite players and the older generation put way too much of their own sense of self worth into being a "top red" and supporting the manager no matter what, not booing at games unless its at the owners. We have created a club where the football comes a distant last and fans would rather be seen as "loyal" than actually be part of some positive change at the club.

Completely baffling. Ole should have been on thin ice when he was clearly adding no value to the football side of things after the first few months. The fans shouldn't have put up with the directionless erratic dross we have been served for nearly 3 years. The fans shouldn't put up with the players not putting in even close to a shift on the pitch. I don't believe for 1 second that they are applying themselves for Rangnick or that this is what he has asked them to do. Their fitness levels are laughable and their ability to execute simple instructions seems completely lacking.

Maybe I just need to take a step back and stop watching United until we eventually become a football club again instead of a glorified "harlem globetrotters" brand.

led_scholes

I'm gutted we didn't get to see this.

Henderson
Trippier - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Rice
Bruno - Pogba/VDB
Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford

Think this was his plan if he had continued to buy the players he was linked with.

Either Ole or the Glazers made a mistake in going for Ronaldo which stopped the front line of
Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford​
happening, with players like Greenwood turning back to a RW and our arguable RW singing turning to a LW as well.
Omg. There are still people who believed Ole had a vision. How VDB was in his plans? He never used him. Where is AWB? Diallo? And if his vision had Maguire in it, thank God we didn't see it 100%. The guy just wanted to sign the flavor of the month. We spent 2 years scouting Sancho and he didn't know what to do with him. He brought AWB, even though everyone knew that his a limited football player. He brought VDB, and never used him.

arthurka

This just makes me so pissed. Utd mentality and no fight in them. As soon as it's gonna get tough they just disappear.
He bought just without a plan and purpose..

Donny - Who knows what he was thinking
Pallestri - Again who knows
Heaton - 3rd keeper
Telles - Very much a nothing player
Ighalo - needed him as a backup
Sancho - looks very much wasted 70m
Ronaldo - Romantic not what we needed
AWB - Did we scout him at all
James - Rapid nothing else, backup
Diallo - Less said the better
Harry - No words
Varane - WC and probably one of the best
Cavani - Came too late
Fernandes - Our best player

One midfielder who he never used even though we paid a fortune for him. Overpaid for all the players and bought with no plan.
500m spent renewed contracts for players who should have been let go andsold and pampered toxic primadonnas.

Last edited:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Someone should bump that clownish 'Thank you Ole' thread that was made a little after he was sacked.

luke511

I actually think this vindicates him a bit. For a moment, I was in the camp that believed the coaching in training was the problem. What's become clear, and what I initially believed, we have one of the worst midfields in the league. It was the same with Ole. His decision to keep Pogba, he was absent for large portions of his reign, was probably part of why we didn't buy a proper midfielder under Ole. He had the opportunity to.

However, there were always signs it was a midfield issue. When Pogba played, we were able to play better in games more consistently, at least offensively. The problem was always that Pogba never wanted to stay in midfield and didn't have the defensive discipline to hold or tackle. We were slow in moving the ball due to the midfield lacking the first touch to collect balls or passing ability to move them forward, something which even Pogba couldn't do due to his slow turn and lack of awareness on the ball. Most teams, in fact every team in the league, at least has one player that can collect the ball from the defence or tackle. United, the biggest team in England, have managed to go almost a decade with the same problem. It's not the attackers, its not Maguire, its not De Gea or Shaw, its not Bruno...it has always been the central midfield. It started with us easily losing games to members of the big 6 and has progressed to us losing midfield battles both home and away against relegation fodder. The signs are even there from midfielders that have left us, when Herrera plays, PSG don't control games, Schneiderlin is nowhere, Schweinstieger went to the MLS after being with us. It's really annoying. We've spent years blaming the manager when personnel in the most important position on the pitch matter more.

We're the same team that won with Ince and Keane, Scholes and Keane, Scholes and Carrick, for years. Even in the last few years under Fergie, and even with the rotation policy he had in midfield at the time , there could never be an argument that our midfielders at the time were worse than anyone outside the top 4 at the time.
How does any of this vindicate him? Knowing he could only have either Sancho or a quality midfielder, he still went for Sancho when we already had Greenwood, Amad and Pellistri for the RW role, then played Sancho as a LW for the majority even after Rashford returned! He did a terrible job and this bloated squad with no good midfielders mess is on him.

united for life

Certainly not the guy who had three years to get a new midfielder but felt for some fecking reason that McFred would do!

For fecks sake!
there is a weird expectation that we can sign 2-3 world class players in a transfer window. Ole was at fault for the poor performances this year, so were the players. Now Ole is gone. It’s either the new manager is accountable or not. Also, we really don’t need a kroos-modric combination to play better against the likes of newcastle, villa and wolves. Let’s move on from Ole and focus on what needs to be fixed now and how

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The players might be happy under him but christ he has made everyone into a mental weakling.

Did he do all training as non contact or something?
When I see posts like this, it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. So according to you, we finished 2nd and 3rd in the last 2 years with no training and mental fortitude? Never mind we came back from losing positions numerous times. People talk as if we were battling relegation the last couple of years.

Yes, the end was not good but by god thst doesn't mean we totally blast everything that was good the last couple of years.

city-puma

Vdb turns out not suitable to EPL. That’s the whole issue. I guess he is not allowed to buy another midfielder in the summer. Then, CR was brought in and the extra issues eventually produced a chain reaction. You might say he is out of his depth. But, he did us a good two years in terms of promising future. The collapse has been fast as any collapse means to be.

tjb

How does any of this vindicate him? Knowing he could only have either Sancho or a quality midfielder, he still went for Sancho when we already had Greenwood, Amad and Pellistri for the RW role, then played Sancho as a LW for the majority even after Rashford returned! He did a terrible job and this bloated squad with no good midfielders mess is on him.
I'm not saying he didn't make some mistakes in recruitment, but I am saying that his tactics were not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Many managers would have struggled with the midfield we currently have. I actually think Ole's biggest mistake was letting Pogba stay in 2019, the wages and transfer fee we could have recouped from him would have helped us. He should have done what Rangnick is currently doing with Martial or what he did with Lukaku. I'm not defending Ole, but his tactics/training sessions, whatever you want to call it were likely not nearly as bad as was made out in the end, the personnel in midfield simply weren't available enough or good enough.

tjb

there is a weird expectation that we can sign 2-3 world class players in a transfer window. Ole was at fault for the poor performances this year, so were the players. Now Ole is gone. It’s either the new manager is accountable or not. Also, we really don’t need a kroos-modric combination to play better against the likes of newcastle, villa and wolves. Let’s move on from Ole and focus on what needs to be fixed now and how
The truth is, its not even about world class players, we literally don't have certain required midfield profiles. We don't have good passers or good holding midfielders. We just have an ancient Matic and a bunch of runners who can't even win the ball back. Norwich have a player that can collect the ball from the defence, southampton have both a passer and a holding midfielder, mighty man united, the biggest team in england with the largest fanbase in the world, do not have a player that can collect the ball from the defence, a player that can hold in midfield for longer than 35 minutes without tiring or a player that can tackle and win midfield duels. I'm not saying we should but Jonjo Shelvey or anything like that, but there is a legitimate case that players of that ilk are more talented than the current central midfielders we have at United ( outside of Pogba of course). Wolves outclass us in midfield constantly, Villa's McGinn is sending our Mctominay to defence in Scotland....it can't be that hard.

spiriticon

When I see posts like this, it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. So according to you, we finished 2nd and 3rd in the last 2 years with no training and mental fortitude? Never mind we came back from losing positions numerous times. People talk as if we were battling relegation the last couple of years.

Yes, the end was not good but by god thst doesn't mean we totally blast everything that was good the last couple of years.
'Mental fortitude' to finish 2nd...THIRD? You mean mental weakness at throwing in the towel on a title challenge before Xmas in each of those seasons right?

Ok maybe I'm being a little harsh, but I tire of excuses for this bunch

King7Eric

'Mental fortitude' to finish 2nd...THIRD? You mean mental weakness at throwing in the towel on a title challenge before Xmas in each of those seasons right?

Ok maybe I'm being a little harsh, but I tire of excuses for this bunch
Mate you are kidding yourself if you think we were in a title race the past season. You can't win leagues without a proper midfield, so there was no throwing in the towel or anything of that kind, we were simply a level or two below City.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I would say that Ole left us with a better defence and attack, but a threadbare midfield. We have too many players up front in the wider positions, and not enough defensive central midfielders.

luke511

I'm not saying he didn't make some mistakes in recruitment, but I am saying that his tactics were not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Many managers would have struggled with the midfield we currently have. I actually think Ole's biggest mistake was letting Pogba stay in 2019, the wages and transfer fee we could have recouped from him would have helped us. He should have done what Rangnick is currently doing with Martial or what he did with Lukaku. I'm not defending Ole, but his tactics/training sessions, whatever you want to call it were likely not nearly as bad as was made out in the end, the personnel in midfield simply weren't available enough or good enough.
The midfield is a big reason why we're way behind the top teams in terms of quality, Solskjaer didn't do anything to sort it out whilst spending £100s of millions season after season, he was evidently very content with McFred as starters in the double pivot with a past it Matic as back up, that's a sackable offence on its own. Solskjaer's in game tactics and management was bad as well, there are many examples of this but the two worst being when he didn't sub Fred off vs PSG (most obvious HT sub of all time) he gets sent off and utd don't qualify. He didn't make a sub until the 100th minute in a European final whilst the opposition made 5 before 90, we end up losing. Both examples are sackable offences. He signed loads of youth players but never played them, whilst renewing past it players and refusing to sell players that had resell value (Lingard, Martial), bloating the squad and messing up the morale completely. Now we have the reputation as being one of the worst clubs on the planet to join as a developing player. He did a lot of brain dead stuff and his management is a big factor as to why we're in this mess.

tjb

The midfield is a big reason why we're way behind the top teams in terms of quality, Solskjaer didn't do anything to sort it out whilst spending £100s of millions season after season, he was evidently very content with McFred as starters in the double pivot with a past it Matic as back up, that's a sackable offence on its own. Solskjaer's in game tactics and management was bad as well, there are many examples of this but the two worst being when he didn't sub Fred off vs PSG (most obvious HT sub of all time) he gets sent off and utd don't qualify. He didn't make a sub until the 100th minute in a European final whilst the opposition made 5 before 90, we end up losing. Both examples are sackable offences. He signed loads of youth players but never played them, whilst renewing past it players and refusing to sell players that had resell value (Lingard, Martial), bloating the squad and messing up the morale completely. Now we have the reputation as being one of the worst clubs on the planet to join as a developing player. He did a lot of brain dead stuff and his management is a big factor as to why we're in this mess.
He also had a lot of games where his tactics, particularly against the City's and Pool's won us the game despite the lack of quality we had at certain points, particularly in that dark 19/20 pre - Bruno phase. I agree about the midfield. Part of our problem I believe is that we did the whole full length rebuild thing, which allowed Ole to believe he had endless time to get in a full squad of players. A team like ours should never ever commit to a full rebuild, we have too much money and have had decent enough squads that we never needed to completely rebuild the team. Ole should have focused on improving the midfield first when he came in. It's the area we have always had the least talent, especially because Pogba is always injured. In defence, as inconsistent and injury prone Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof etc were, they could actually perform basic defending. The problem was always what was protecting them in front. Our midfield has consistently allowed our defence and De Gea fact consistent attacks. Liverpool even though they did not perform well in the league last season did not face the level of threat our defence consistently had to deal with last season despite having the majority of their backline injured. They were still able to produce good football and dominate teams, which is something we have not been able to do for years.

united for life

The truth is, its not even about world class players, we literally don't have certain required midfield profiles. We don't have good passers or good holding midfielders. We just have an ancient Matic and a bunch of runners who can't even win the ball back. Norwich have a player that can collect the ball from the defence, southampton have both a passer and a holding midfielder, mighty man united, the biggest team in england with the largest fanbase in the world, do not have a player that can collect the ball from the defence, a player that can hold in midfield for longer than 35 minutes without tiring or a player that can tackle and win midfield duels. I'm not saying we should but Jonjo Shelvey or anything like that, but there is a legitimate case that players of that ilk are more talented than the current central midfielders we have at United ( outside of Pogba of course). Wolves outclass us in midfield constantly, Villa's McGinn is sending our Mctominay to defence in Scotland....it can't be that hard.
i agree with most of what you said. Our main problem is that no one knows how to take the ball and distribute. but still to compete we’d need to for someone like Rice not an average DM. As for the passer, vdb is there. He knows how to pass but i don’t know where And why its going all wrong for him

Ralph1386

Mate you are kidding yourself if you think we were in a title race the past season. You can't win leagues without a proper midfield, so there was no throwing in the towel or anything of that kind, we were simply a level or two below City.
Good to know he got us the proper midfielders the following summer to get us into a title race then. Oh wait…

talking robot

Seems like he failed to recognize just how bad our midfield is and this was a major contributor to his undoing.

Ralph1386

500M spent in almost three years, and we’re heading into next summer with a probable exodus of players (Cavani, Martial, Pogba, Ronaldo, Lingard, Mata, Henderson, Matic…) and another rebuild on our hands. Most likely out of the Top 4.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The funny thing is that people were saying 'at least he's leaving us in a better position' etc. Yet more and more of Jose's signings and players from our academy seem to be trusted over Ole signings as time goes on. Hell even Dalot looks more dependable than AWB these days and Matic is our best midfielder, if only for 50 minutes per game.
Yup, that's a funny one as people were giving him a lot of credit for something that hadn't even happened yet. Like he was heading in the right direction and was going to leave a team ready to win the big competitions and all those future titles were going to be thanks to him.

He was given a lot of time and resources and he was improving only respective to himself but in the bigger picture he left a team with no identity nor playstyle. It isn't everything his fault, he did what he could and he was simply underqualified for the job. Think the board liked him because he wasn't as troublesome as Mourinho but in contrast it feel like the team now requires a more strict manager.

stevoc

I would say that Ole left us with a better defence and attack, but a threadbare midfield. We have too many players up front in the wider positions, and not enough defensive central midfielders.
Pretty much yeah, lack of recruitment in midfield was ultimately what lead to his downfall, placed way too much faith in Fred and McTominay.

King7Eric

Good to know he got us the proper midfielders the following summer to get us into a title race then. Oh wait…
Every reliable journalist reported he wanted a CM, but there wasn't enough budget left over. It's clear some people just want to blame all our problems at Ole's feet and nothing anyone says is gonna deter you guys.

And some of the midfielders we are being linked with now, Haidara and Zakaria etc aren't also gonna solve the problem. We need players who can pass and keep the ball, someone like Neves or Tielemans.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Every reliable journalist reported he wanted a CM, but there wasn't enough budget left over. It's clear some people just want to blame all our problems at Ole's feet and nothing anyone says is gonna deter you guys.

And some of the midfielders we are being linked with now, Haidara and Zakaria etc aren't also gonna solve the problem. We need players who can pass and keep the ball, someone like Neves or Tielemans.
3 fecking years and 500m

He had enough time and money to fix the cm. He just dont have a clue.

I dont think he even know what he's buying, and that's being kind to Ole. If he knew what he's buying then good lord help us with all his mega dross signing. It's better for him.to say he doesnt know what he's buying

Smores

It's cute that some are still trying to defend his time here as if a single singing would make all the difference.

The team doesn't unravel like this in style, spirit and quality when everything has been fine in the prior seasons. This season was just all the problems much talked about coming to their inevitable result.

But but but table :rolleyes:

The Bloody-Nine

He bought a CM. Remind me what he did with him again?

King7Eric

He bought a CM. Remind me what he did with him again?
Van de Beek was bought as a Bruno back up if I'm not mistaken.

So all you guys think we were fluking our way to 2nd and 3rd for two full seasons? I mean this is ridiculous the arguments people are making. We disintegrated this season and Ole paid the price for it, fair enough, but to make up things in hindsight is just blame apportioning at this point. The man is gone, people need to move on. Our new manager can sign the midfielder he wants. It's the profile of players he's looking at that worries me.

VivaRonaldo85

- an unbalanced squad
- an ageing squad
- an unaccountable for actions culture
- top young talents regressing
- minus £500 million (or whatever the exact figure is)
- the worse season post Fergie since the Moyes debacle

Max_United

So all you guys think we were fluking our way to 2nd and 3rd for two full seasons? I mean this is ridiculous the arguments people are making. We disintegrated this season and Ole paid the price for it, fair enough, but to make up things in hindsight is just blame apportioning at this point. The man is gone, people need to move on. Our new manager can sign the midfielder he wants. It's the profile of players he's looking at that worries me.
But if CM was such a priority, then why spend 35m on a back up AM (and the price that Tielemans went to Leicester and Neves was available at?) Why spend initial 20m on Amad who was nowhere near even the squad? Why spend 80m on Maguire instead of finding a cheaper alternative and allocate funds to CM? I mean it is obvious that Ole was not the sole decider in transfers but he was definitely an important voice, could have blocker at least some of the above-mentioned transfers and had no right to be pissed off after having like 5 transfer windows to address CM issue. But it does not seem that he viewed it as priority.

And yes, we did fluke 3rd (definitely) and 2nd (to a lesser degree). 3rd was level on points with Chelsea on 4th, we were out of top 4 for 90% of the season, often literally midtable before Bruno, clinched it on the last day thanks to Leicester collapse and finished on 66 points which 90% of the time are not enough for top-4. But people like you keep naming 3rd place as if it were some comfortable top-4 finish. 2nd place was also somewhat lucky, we outperformed xG and expected points significantly (were 4th on them), Liverpool and Chelsea were in bad state. I am not saying that we were disastrous in the league those 2 seasons but the finishing positions really flattered us. Could have easily been 5th and 4th.

The Bloody-Nine

He spent 35 million on a back up?

Ralph1386

Every reliable journalist reported he wanted a CM, but there wasn't enough budget left over.
Right. And who decided to spend most of that budget on Sancho?

By the way, every reliable journalist reported that our next target was going to be Trippier before a midfielder. This was on Ole who had three years to strengthen the midfield that you claim was weak.

Red Star One

- an unbalanced squad
- an ageing squad
- an unaccountable for actions culture
- top young talents regressing
- minus £500 million (or whatever the exact figure is)
- the worse season post Fergie since the Moyes debacle
It’s really fecking grim we wasted those years with quite a good generation of our academy lads