Solskjaer's legacy and his future

90 + 5min

When this is finished he should get credit and thank you for doing everything he can for the club. Regardless of lack of trophies he has done more for the club then lot of haters.

giant_sailor

"Thank you" is not what I would first say about his 3 years. A decent caretaker, but nothin more. He never built anything, no tactics, no vision. Fernandes and Cavani made him look a lot better than what he actually is. And this year Ronaldo.

At least he sold Fellaini.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The Ole Era is over and as many of you know I was (and it sounds ridiculous to even say something like this) in the Ole In camp and passionately so.

I wanted him to do well
I wanted him to win trophies
I wanted the club to give him time

But as the weeks have gone on, especially since the Liverpool game it became somewhat depressing to watch United. I went into games being behind the team but in reality it was a 'I hope we don't lose this week'

Week on week I was seeing more and more glaring mistakes being made. Even yesterday, Sarr was just left wide open, unchallenged to score. Stupid mistakes.

It was time to move on.

I may have been optimistic every week that we're going to win and this week was our week where it turns a corner, but at the back of my head, I knew it was simply a case of, I hope we don't lose.

I hope we can all stick together with the next manager and there isn't such a divide in the fanbase ever again, because it was pretty shite to see fans going back and forth. When we all just want what's best for the club.

I'd like to apologise to people if my passion over stepped the mark and offended anyone or I came across in an arrogant way that "I'm a better fan that you" kinda vibe. It wasn't my intention whatsoever. I was just passionate about United and passionate for a Legend to bring the club back to winning ways.

Sorry to everyone who I have fecked off over the last x amount of months. I didn't mean to upset you all.

I for one am hopeful that we get Zidane in, give him a chance and see what he can do. I was warming to Rogers but, after Leicesters free fall lately, not too confident about that potential appointment. My second choice would be Ten Haag.

Let's get these players playing and actually have some sort of structure that we all know he can do.

Thank you Ole. But now it's time for something new.

Skills

Snitch
That was one of the saddest things I've ever watched. :(

It was clearly a nervous smile and he seemed depressed and resigned to the fact that he was going to be sacked. I hate our board for letting this play out.
They were just "backing the manager" tbf. It's what people have been asking them to do for years. They really went right to the cliff edge with this one.

The Dane

I think that a lot of the good play after Ole took over was down to the fact that he took over a well organised team which had just lost the joy of playing football under Mourinho and OGS brought that back and that was enough to go on a winning streak but of course isn’t sustainable unless you yourself is a good coach and OGS clearly is not.
Many of the memorable matches that we had with him has been last minute come back victories against lesser teams, which of course were thrilling and exciting, but down to the fact that the team often needed the first half hour to get up in gear and by then we would be down by 1-2 goals.
I hope that the board will take their time to come up with a strategy that defines the “United way” and includes commercial strategy, recruiting strategy, youth strategy, mix of British and foreign players etc. but not least style of play and then appoint a manager who's philosophy matches that style of play as well as the strategy in general.
I will not miss Ole and I see no reason to thank him, he should just be allowed to leave quietly out the back door. I doubt we will ever see him in English football again.

Godfather

Haven't had that many emotional up and downs with any manager. So at least his time here was quite exciting. Well apart from this season which was a huge downer.

Not sure about the notion that he leaves a great squad behind. It's a quite bloated one. Especially on the wings whereas we look quite cack in CM and our defense is suspicious to say the least.

lemmiwink

It’s a shame he didn’t go at the end of last season as he’d have been remembered fondly. That was highly unlikely but even if the embarrassment vs Liverpool was the end or at worst, City, it would have been manageable.

But to be humiliated against a team like Watford, with our captain being sent off really is the worst we could have imagined and is absolute rock bottom. He’s ruined his legacy in my view, time might heel things but for now, he’s absolutely shot himself in the head and is rightly viewed as a clown.
I understand how you feel, but that anger should be directed at the board for hiring him in the first place, not towards Ole who just did what anyone of us would have done if offered the job as manager of Manchester United.

Being angry at him for not being good enough isn’t really fair. That isn’t his fault. There are only a handful of people who are competent for this job. The board appointing the wrong people isn’t the fault of those being appointed.

fergosaurus

They were just "backing the manager" tbf. It's what people have been asking them to do for years. They really went right to the cliff edge with this one.
When they back the manager weeks after Tom Cato and OleBoii have given up it's a good indication of how incompetent our board are.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When this is finished he should get credit and thank you for doing everything he can for the club. Regardless of lack of trophies he has done more for the club then lot of haters.
He also got paid much more than all those haters. The guy did us no favors. It was a contract

Widow

Just when you think the embarrassing threads couldn't get any worse....

Some of you lot need to give your head a wobble. A total lack of respect.

You can call him out on his failings as a manager and still respect the guy for all he has done.

He is the only manager post Fergie that passionately wanted the club to return to the summit. He wasn't good enough to take us there but let's not crucify the guy.

Idxomer

How has he left us worse? People need to go to Dec'18 and look at what we were saying. People believed it would take 3-5 years to fix the mess up, we were willing to sell everyone barring DDG and Rashford and close to half the starting XI was on it's last legs - Valencia, Young, Smalling, Matic, Alexis.

People do counter by saying, "He spent 500m". I believe he spent close to 100m more than Mou and LVG but had 1 additional summer window. Now, here's a question, even forgetting about price inflation, with all the powers of hindsight, which players would you have bought for 100m on their teams to make their sides this good?

The thing is, he genuinely did good in a lot of things over the first 2.5 years here. Ofcourse there were some issues, but on the whole, he did better than most of us expected from the man taking over Mou's mess. It just sucks that it had to end this way and I dont think there's any shame in not being able to take the final step.

I'd always remember his managerial time as being decent - not successful but not a failure as well
Actually, what was said back then is that we need coaching more than anything else. Some players needed to be phased out and we needed to buy new players but that's literally the case with every new manager. No one thought it would take 5 years to fix this mess. Stop trying to make it out as he built the club from the ashes. Big clubs could go through a couple of rebuilds while winning trophies in those 5 years you mention.

Ole already wasted 130m in his 1st transfer window, from that moment it was obvious how it was all going to turn out and it's funny that you would mention Matic because Ole still plays him and has given him a new contract last year. Ole only did better in his 1st 2.5 years than expected -which is arguable anyway- mainly due to external circumstances, it had little to do with him.

Revan

Assumptionman
So long and thanks for all the fish.

The only time I would like to see his face again in TV, is never.

#W203_Red

On what metric are we actually performing better in....

League position = No
Just when you think the embarrassing threads couldn't get any worse....

Some of you lot need to give your head a wobble. A total lack of respect.

You can call him out on his failings as a manager and still respect the guy for all he has done.

He is the only manager post Fergie that passionately wanted the club to return to the summit. He wasn't good enough to take us there but let's not crucify the guy.
Out of interest what makes you think he is the only one who wanted to bring us back to the summit? I'm fairly certain all of Jose, LVG and Moyes had that ambition.

The simple facts are against every metric... We are performing worse than we were before he came in. League position, goals scored, conceded...
No.

The biggest mistake made was not appointing Ole... It was prior to him coming in...not backing Jose from a position of growth/ strength finishing 2nd and winning the Europa league and needing investment to make the next step was the biggest mistake our club has made post fergie.

Ole has been afforded riches and grace far beyond what he has merited from a performance perspective.

Not to derail the thread bringing Jose into this. My point is, he should be rightly moved on based on our performance. We need to forget sentiment and move on.

Revan

Assumptionman
Same legacy as Souness at Liverpool.

Very good player, absolutely atrocious manager. I think it is genuinely hard to have been this bad after all the money he has spent. Should be studied as a use case on how shit a manager can be.

Hughie77

His inept managment was there, in the Europa league final. 5 subs in that final to win it in 120 mins. He done feck all until ready for pens, that's a toss of a coin.
Chelsea in the FA Cup semi they were awful then, and he made to many changes lose, and a poor Arsenal win the bloody thing.

There's been to many odd a predictable out comes with what he's doing, has no trust in some players and to much in others who are not on form. The Daniel James transfer?? He plays the game before he sells him, so something changed quickly there . Also the players have to shoulder a fair bit of stick themselves, they have made glaring Errors in every game and its coming from mainly the top players, Maguire, Bruno, Pogba, Shaw , Fred, all are regularly in the 11. That's not the Managers fault. But he still has to go.

Spoony

The People's President
Same legacy as Souness at Liverpool.

Very good player, absolutely atrocious manager. I think it is genuinely hard to have been this bad after all the money he has spent. Should be studied as a use case on how shit a manager can be.

Nope. Souness is disliked... because of his bit in The Sun. Ole is a legend who passionately wanted to succeed but was sadly out of his depth.

buckooo1978

I think this is an interesting view on where we are. Are we any further forward as a team in terms of style, performance and stability?

Clearly we are not in terms of league position and our prospects from. Champions League perspective.

I actually think we are in a worse state than where we were. We have huge problems on the pitch. Leaking goals, no control of games, no fear from the opposition being outplayed week in week out. and still after 3 years relying on moments of brilliance. Off the pitch the way we have handled this situation is laughable... The writing has been on the wall for weeks/ months and our ambitions for the season on the pitch have become clear... None.

All that without taking into account the huge investment in this squad which Ole has overseen. I actually think we are in a worse state. Costly expensive mistakes in the transfer market, players playing with no accountability for performance, obvious divisions in playing squad and no hope of it improving any time in the future.

We now find ourselves a million miles away from our biggest rivals, being mocked by every set of fans in the country, closer to relegation battle than title battle. Division within the fan base once again and whoever comes in to pick up the pieces has a huge task on their hands to pick up the pieces of this latest in a long list of messes...
I think he took over a club with a toxic atmosphere

he took over a squad with misfits, expensive disasters and players who just weren't performing or good enough like Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Young and Lukaku (who rarely looked interested in a United shirt).

In spite of how awful we have been this year he leaves a squad that a new manager with some sort of tactical and coaching acumen can get much more out of. At the beginning of this season I had hoped that we would launch a title challenge based on the quality of our squad. These are still the same players.

We overpaid on Maguire and Wan Bissaka but is that on Ole? partly at least. Van De Beek has been puzzling and I'm glad Sancho will get a fresh start under a new manager.

Overall if you cast your mind back to December 18 the atmosphere was worse for me and we had a squad really lacking quality with Rashford our main attacking force with players like Young and Pereira playing regularly. Ole's decline has been really really sharp but he should have been relieved after the Liverpool game. The indecision is on the board.

The fans are united I think in Ole going. He never turned the fans against the players like Jose. He did the exact same thing at Spurs and by the sounds of things he's doing it at Roma. He tried to convince us players like Luke Shaw were brainless remember.

In terms of fan division the only issue I have is with the disrespect Ole has received on here which has resembled Twitter at times. I'm 43 and wonder is this an age thing but some of the comments in this thread are sickening. It makes you wonder if these are the kind of fans who would round on Sir Bobby. Yes Solskjaer failed. We were outplayed by teams regularly. He made lots of poor decisions. He was seriously flawed as a manager.

He tried his best though and the pain has been etched on his face with every disaster. No one is hurting more than he is and he has failed on his dream. Is this how we treat one of our own. I'm embarrassed for many United 'fans' who simply don't understand the club based on what I've read at times. This is all coming from someone who thought he should have been replaced after Liverpool too.

stw2022

Being bad at your job doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. Spending half a billion on players that to the most part you didn’t want to/know how to use isn’t an achievement either.

Ixion

His inept managment was there, in the Europa league final. 5 subs in that final to win it in 120 mins. He done feck all until ready for pens, that's a toss of a coin.
The Europa League Final was the game for me when I accepted he had gone as far as he could. Bottled it and was shown-up on a big stage by tactically superior manager with an inferior squad. And to think we had his new contract all lined up ready to announce because we hadn't even thought we might not win it.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It’s the opposition fans who should be starting ‘Thank you Ole’ threads at this moment. That says a lot about his management tenure here.
We're very angry at Watford at the moment. Should've kept it 2-1 or even 3-1.

Bestietom

These players ain't gonna have the respect for Carrick/Fletcher either. So don't expect big change.
We need a manager who will treat the players on their performance level.
No first on the team sheet because of who or what you are.
If you don't perform you spend time on the bench.
We badly need a manager that will command respect from the players.

Enigma_87

You know who
This narrative has to stop. He's credited for clearing the atmosphere? Seriously? As soon as Jose was gone you could instill Fred the red and the atmosphere would be changed...

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I’m sick of hearing these things, steadied the ship? Made us better? Made top signings? He didn’t really do any of these things. He’s just plodded along and lucked out in a COVID struck season to finish 2nd. Losing the Europa final was the nail in the coffin, yet we shouldn’t even have been in that competition anyway if we hadn’t lost to Istanbul. Good riddance. Thanks for 99 ole but his management reign is one to forget.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I like how the OP highlights winning a CL group game as Ole's biggest achievement 3 years in, having spent 300m.

Says it all, really.

red4ever 79

Poetic ending to Ole's reign.

We will respond like 'proper hurt animals'

Yes Ole we did, like proper hurt animals who deserve to be put out of their misery with dignity,

McTom - Hooked off at half time - An Ole stalwart - Invisible
Maguire - Ole's captain marvel who time and time again makes mistakes - gets sent off and was a shambles, threw the armband on the floor before giving Ole a high five on the way out
DVB - A player clearly excluded by Ole whilst we had to suffer McFred stink the joint out each week. Comes on, scores, creates, tackles MOTM

The crowd singing Donny Van de Beek
The opposing fans not just at this ground but others, singing Ole's at the wheel.

sugar_kane

he took over a squad with misfits, expensive disasters and players who just weren't performing or good enough like Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Young and Lukaku (who rarely looked interested in a United shirt).

In spite of how awful we have been this year he leaves a squad that a new manager with some sort of tactical and coaching acumen can get much more out of. At the beginning of this season I had hoped that we would launch a title challenge based on the quality of our squad. These are still the same players.

We overpaid on Maguire and Wan Bissaka but is that on Ole? partly at least. Van De Beek has been puzzling and I'm glad Sancho will get a fresh start under a new manager.

Overall if you cast your mind back to December 18 the atmosphere was worse for me and we had a squad really lacking quality with Rashford our main attacking force with players like Young and Pereira playing regularly. Ole's decline has been really really sharp but he should have been relieved after the Liverpool game. The indecision is on the board.

The fans are united I think in Ole going. He never turned the fans against the players like Jose. He did the exact same thing at Spurs and by the sounds of things he's doing it at Roma. He tried to convince us players like Luke Shaw were brainless remember.

In terms of fan division the only issue I have is with the disrespect Ole has received on here which has resembled Twitter at times. I'm 43 and wonder is this an age thing but some of the comments in this thread are sickening. It makes you wonder if these are the kind of fans who would round on Sir Bobby. Yes Solskjaer failed. We were outplayed by teams regularly. He made lots of poor decisions. He was seriously flawed as a manager.

He tried his best though and the pain has been etched on his face with every disaster. No one is hurting more than he is and he has failed on his dream. Is this how we treat one of our own. I'm embarrassed for many United 'fans' who simply don't understand the club based on what I've read at times. This is all coming from someone who thought he should have been replaced after Liverpool too.
You’re spot on, I’m accepting now (and have been since Leicester) that he needs to go but what this episode has largely done is turn me against a big chunk of our own fan base - not because they wanted Ole out but because they’re thoroughly unpleasant shit heads.

led_scholes

Jose found also a squad of expensive misfits etc. Apart from Sanchez and Lukaku no one in that list was bought by Jose. He also found Rooney and Bastian, two semi retired players. Jose should have gone after Sevilla, but at least we won two cups. Ole in 3 years could not even progress in Champions League group.

The atmosphere is as toxic as then, and perhaps even worse. Ole failed hard for 3 years, and yet we sti credit him for doing something that was finished from the point Jose was sacked.

Let's see how his (by all accounts he wanted them) undropable players, like Maguire and AWB would fare.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
When he came into this club as a caretaker manager. The team was in complete disarray. The fans were depressed watching drab football year after year and the players were stuck in a rut. But when he came in, he lifted the players up and never stopped trying to be better. That PSG game was incredible. Watching that smug ratface prick and Neymar cry was One of the most satisfying victories I've seen in years. He gave us so much entertainment we've been crying out for at the start with fast attacking football. The players and fans were enjoying themselves again. He never threw any blame at the players. Not once, even when it was. He gave a shit about the club. Also managed to Get rid of most of the deadwood and rebuilt the disaster LVG and Jose left behind. The 2nd season he beat city 3 times in one season and got us top 4 again. There was hope for a bright future. Each season was an improvement, but unfortunately Ole was unlucky in not Winning any silverware. He came close so many times and sadly it ends in failure. Despite that, there was still a bit of hope that he'd get a great squad together and finally get us back to the top. Had one of the best summer's ever imo, in getting a world class defender, a Right Winger we've needed since Nani left and one of the best player ever play the game. This was the season that for the first time I fully believed we could win some trophies. Sadly after a flying start, everything fell apart after the lost to West Ham. It's clear He's taking us as far as he could. He's been extremely lucky everytime he got backed into a corner and now the luck has run out. The board was indecisive which has probably cost us top 4 this season. In saying a that, given how ugly it's gotten recently, he's left the next manager with a much better squad that's hungry for success. Every single United fan wanted him so badly to succeed. Thanks for the memories Ole. Best of luck to him in the future.
Well said that man.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good luck Ole. Glad this chapter is over but you've done better until this season than any of the previous managers in terms of building a functional team. Need to go away and do some studying though if you want to manage at the top level again.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ole is a legend who passionately wanted to succeed but was sadly out of his depth.
That's the view a considerable segment of our fans will undoubtedly take - yes.

And you're right - Souness isn't comparable. The reason his reputation is very much stained among Liverpool fans has nothing - or at least very little - to do with the fact that he wasn't a good manager for them.

As for Ole and United, we also seem to have a considerable segment of fans who don't care much about Ole's legend status (his pre-management status, I mean). Which means the comparison doesn't work on a second level: Liverpool don't really have a comparable segment within their current fan base, i.e. a decidedly "non-sentimental" one. To put it in extreme terms, we have a number of fans who probably wouldn't attach that much importance to something like Souness getting into bed with The Sun in the first place - if he happened to deliver silverware.

To be clear, we have a number of fans who would've resented Souness simply for being a shite manager - even if the Sun business hadn't happened. Which is apparently a good thing - showing ambition, not letting standards drop, etc.