Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I think the club on whole has made progress since Ole came, I know a lot work has been done behind the scenes. However after the Leicester game it became apparent that the 1st team squad had lost confidence it what they were being asked to do and the whole thing has collapsed down like a stack of cards. It just couldn’t continue and we’re most likely heading for 2 more cricket scores against Villarreal and Chelski. He’s a good man Solskjaer, but it’s for the best.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This only goes to prove that only a number of good ex-players make good managers.

Eddy_JukeZ

If we did the right thing and sacked him after the Europa League final, his time as a manager would have looked decent.

It is really hard to ignore just how shocking we have been this season.

We've been battered in almost every single game.

edgecutter

I'm sick of this nonsense about "leaving us in a better place" he's left us in a mess.

Squad is filled with deadwood
A disjointed squad
A number of unhappy players that want out.
Filled the backroom team with inept coaches.

We're a mess

BigRon1985

I'm probably going to flamed on here for saying this but I remember him as a great squad player who scored a lot of goals (usually from the bench) and of course THAT goal. I read on here someone describing him as more of a cult hero and I tend to agree. As for a manager? Never wanted him even as a caretaker but you can't argue against possibly the best new manager bounce ever even though I had a nagging feeling it was despite him not because of him. When we lost 2-0 at home against relegated Cardiff on the last day of season the honeymoon was well and truly over but it was too late by then as he already had that permanent contract in his back pocket.

Not his fault the board panicked but Real Madrid were hardly going to steal him away were they? If he'd left after that first season then his credibility would have been intact but hindsight is a wonderful thing and who would turn down the chance of managing the biggest club in the world - luckiest man in the world!

Handsome Devil

Thank you Ole for buying us that expensive top of the range Airfix model plane kit, then proceeding to throw away the instructions so that the wings were glued upside down the wrong way round, the wheels ran into the ground and some unused plastic bits were left in the box, not having a clue where they fitted in.
Now we just need someone with knowledge and some solvent to retrieve the instructions, reglue the right bits in proper working order and get the kit looking more like it does on the box lid.

Smores

If he wasn't an ex player there's no chance this thread is created. Thanking someone for making us bad enough to get the sack is an odd one.

I could be wrong we could have had a thread like this post LvG, there were still those that clung to the foundations nonsense post his sacking.

He tried, he failed. I'm just going to try and forget his managerial stint and remember the player to be honest.

buckooo1978

Jose found also a squad of expensive misfits etc. Apart from Sanchez and Lukaku no one in that list was bought by Jose. He also found Rooney and Bastian, two semi retired players. Jose should have gone after Sevilla, but at least we won two cups. Ole in 3 years could not even progress in Champions League group.

The atmosphere is as toxic as then, and perhaps even worse. Ole failed hard for 3 years, and yet we sti credit him for doing something that was finished from the point Jose was sacked.

Let's see how his (by all accounts he wanted them) undropable players, like Maguire and AWB would fare.
I wasn't blaming Jose for all the signings and I disagree on the atmosphere....

United fans were at each other throats then. Jose was in self-preservation mode as he is now - Google Jose turns on his players and you will see years and years of this I've no doubt

Gordon Godot

Ole should have never have got the permanant job. Any vaguely competent board or CEO should have known this woudl end in disaster. Ole had done precisely nothing in his managerial career to become Utd manager. Lets stop dealing in fairy tales and asses the world as it is. Ole has spent £450m on a squad that seems as mismatched and with as big holes in certain areas as the one he inherited. Not his fault he was given job, but he is legend and was taking us all for fools. His management of some players diabolical. Where is all the youth coming through? Nowhere. Utd DNA my @rse

Ixion

I'm sick of this nonsense about "leaving us in a better place" he's left us in a mess.

A disjointed squad

We're a mess
And a squad of mentally destroyed players, lacking belief and no ideas what to do with the ball.

Max_United

Club legend I agree with to a point. Him being an average manager I strongly disagree with, unless if by average you mean awful.

If he was an average manager he would be comfortably in a title race now. There was absolutely no reason this squad should lose at home to Liverpool and City. An average manager would at least draw these games. An average manager would go to King Power Stadium and nick a win against a Leicester side that has been terrible this year and completely out of form.

An average manager would have had at least 25 points by now given the fixtures we have played so far. He would also have a positive GD.

I won’t even go into all the records he has broken at the club.

I know you are being kind and that you probably want to not be toxic, I get that, I do, but it is now we have to be honest. If we’re not honest we might let the board hire another obviously wrong manager and fans will be patient with the next guy too.

Solskjaer is not average. He has been way below average since 2014. He had 2 seasons in Molde were they dominated games, but even in Norway he was found out and fans of Molde wanted him gone the summer before he joined United and were glad when he left.
This. And there will be a very simple test of whether he is average or worse - how his career pans out and who hires him after his stint at United.

I think he would struggle to get a gig above Championship or Norway, and even that at a stretch. Other clubs' judgement is not clouded by nostalgia. With Moyes and Jose at least they had a history of successful tenures. Ole has none. His results worsened and became inconsistent at Molde and the fans were pleased he left (and he had a rich owner and basically a free run at the best Norwegian players - plus I am surprised that the story of self-dealing and conflict of interest concerning Ole and his agent is not discussed more here - as many are wedded to the concept of "good guy Ole"), at Cardiff he failed and at United he also failed. He has only history of failure - and only times his results were not awful is when he had huge resources to mask his inadequacies as manager.

Hardly anyone would buy "squad building" (for 400m) argument or 2nd and 3rd places (both of which were 4th on expected points and one of which was won in the last game and largely due to Leicester collapse) or EL final - with zero trophies - as some sort of "achievement" as United manager. It is only a portion of our fanbase (and the board) who are eager to lower the standards for former players to get and retain jobs.

I mean Di Matteo had a lot better CV than Ole at the time he left Chelsea (CL, Championship success), but he was only hired by horribly managed Schalke and by a championship club after that - and has been without job for the last 5 years. If Ole had Di Matteo's CV he would probably get at least 5 years "no questions asked" here.

GlasgowCeltic

Great as interim, shite as permanent. He'll be remembered for the negatives, the 5-0 and the EL final, simply because there have been no equivalent positives. 2nd place was "great" albeit he's already admitted that was because of Liverpools injuries

dmode

Love him to bits, please don't forget we came 2nd last season because of him.

Thank you OLEgend.

Many of our fans are a disgrace.

#W203_Red

Jose found also a squad of expensive misfits etc. Apart from Sanchez and Lukaku no one in that list was bought by Jose. He also found Rooney and Bastian, two semi retired players. Jose should have gone after Sevilla, but at least we won two cups. Ole in 3 years could not even progress in Champions League group.

The atmosphere is as toxic as then, and perhaps even worse. Ole failed hard for 3 years, and yet we sti credit him for doing something that was finished from the point Jose was sacked.

Let's see how his (by all accounts he wanted them) undropable players, like Maguire and AWB would fare.
Agree !

Agree with this view! That's pretty much my recollection. 81 points, finishing 2nd and had a desire for Maguire to progress from a position of strength.

The toxicity back then was 100% Jose... All fans aligned... The club shafted him... He shafted them back... Typical Jose and fully expected as we all know from the past that once your in bed with Jose you back him or it ends badly.

Now we have a split fanbase... Threads like this prove the huge divide... Your Ole in or Ole out... If your Ole out... You lack class and forget his legendary status... Your Ole in or a "top red" and we must back him irrespective of performance because we are man utd and we are different as I regularly read. There is a constant battle between the two groups. The in fighting and disputes between fans, the constant berrating and mocking from every single fan in the country mocking our position once again.

My last post of the day but the way we are right now... Feels worse than at any stage post fergie. Not all on Ole but as manager of this club he is accountable for on the pitch performance and is simply not good enough. We can only hope that with Woodward going and Ole on the brink... The right appointment with a squad of talented footballers we absolutely have can see us make real progress moving forward!

buckooo1978

This narrative has to stop. He's credited for clearing the atmosphere? Seriously? As soon as Jose was gone you could instill Fred the red and the atmosphere would be changed...
that could be the case, then again it might not... we'll never know will we.

what we can say is that until the last few months Old Trafford has been a much more positive place - that is undeniable.

Not sure why some are so desperate to strip Solskjaer of any credit. Why would anyone who cares about United or who respects a club legend work so hard to argue that he contributed nothing? Why choose to have an agenda against a UNITED LEGEND

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

A disjointed squad

We're a mess
We’ve got some of the best attacking players in the world and certainly there’s a much improved structure at the club in terms of the football side of things. With better tactics & footballing vision, and some required strengthening in defence and midfield in the first team squad (also allowing some other first team era to leave) I would expect a massive improvement. I mean Ronaldo, Cavane, Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, etc… come on man what more talent do you want?

RUCK4444

A disjointed squad

We're a mess
This post is a mess. We are a very talented squad with some world class players, a mix of youth and experience and arguably only one real hole in the squad (midfield.)

Stop pretending he’s built a shite side, he’s gone, be happy, no need to be children in the playground chatting nonsense about every last thing the guy did.

youmeletsfly

Very good player but easily the worst manager post SAF. He should have been sacked ages ago.

People saying he steadied the ship are lunatics. After 3 years our team has 0 style of play, he effectively fecked 3 years of them players careers.

He was good for the first 15 games, then god the fall was immense. Also the level of shit he was spouting in each press conference just to hide his inept management skills was incredible, the biggest "stealing a living" show I've seen for a while.

Thanks for a good few memories here and there, but good riddance, he basically set us back more than Jose did and that is the sad part, not that he tarnished his so called "legacy".

TrustInOle

Thank you for the memories and bringing a connection from the club back to the fans, even if it became bittersweet. Had fears after our summer transfer business and the fall off last season that this might be as far as he could take us.

Will always love him!

Enigma_87

You know who
that could be the case, then again it might not... we'll never know will we.

what we can say is that until the last few months Old Trafford has been a much more positive place - that is undeniable.

Not sure why some are so desperate to strip Solskjaer of any credit. Why would anyone who cares about United or who respects a club legend work so hard to argue that he contributed nothing? Why choose to have an agenda against a UNITED LEGEND
Because he was a disaster. A very expensive one as well.
Ole the manager and the player should be separated if we want to move forward as a club.
If it was Moyes who took over Jose and replicated what Ole did he would’ve been hounded out of the club after two months.

Our club reeks of nepotism and we won’t move an inch forward if we don’t shake off this. Both as a fanbase and management.

edgecutter

We’ve got some of the best attacking players in the world and certainly there’s a much improved structure at the club in terms of the football side of things. With better tactics & footballing vision, and some required strengthening in defence and midfield in the first team squad (also allowing some other first team era to leave) I would expect a massive improvement. I mean Ronaldo, Cavane, Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, etc… come on man what more talent do you want?
We have spent a fortune on these players and it's becoming evident that many of these guys will be gone next year, due to the mess ole left us in.

Think about who will be left when we start next season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why are we making threads like this when it's not been made official? Bit disrespectful, in my opinion.

Yes, the inevitable will happen but at least wait for it.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Why? He's an absolute failure. He'll leave with a huge paycheck for one last time. Not a bad outcome for him.
Yes he didn’t win anything but he’s left United in a far better place than any other Manchester United manager since Ferguson. He may not have won a trophy but he brought me far more joy than the other manager since Ferguson.
He will always be one of our own.

The Hilton

The only manager we've had post SAF who's been able to back up a top 4 finish.

He earned his shot at the big time this season, its a huge shame its turned out the way it has, but he managed with far more class than Mourinho, even if we're in the same nosedive we were in his last season.

If this incredibly talented squad goes on to some success under a better manager, he'll deserve credit for putting it together.

Okey

A good man. Club legend, and will always be. Not a top class coach/manager sadly. I blame the heirarchy that couldn't see that and left the situation to fester. Should he have resigned? Probably, and would have increased his respect. But can't blame him for looking after number 1. I'm just glad it's over, late as it is.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes he didn’t win anything but he’s left United in a far better place than any other Manchester United manager since Ferguson. He may not have won a trophy but he brought me far more joy than the other manager since Ferguson.
He will always be one of our own.
We can agree to disagree. Worst manager managing a top club for that long I’ve ever seen. He’ll be found out at his next job pretty quickly.

Rista

This is why we should stop hiring legends or "one of our own", it clouds people's judgement to ridiculous degrees. I've seen people say Ole did all he could have done. Like, seriously? All except being any good at his job.

buckooo1978

Because he was a disaster. A very expensive one as well.
Ole the manager and the player should be separated if we want to move forward as a club.
If it was Moyes who took over Jose and replicated what Ole did he would’ve been hounded out of the club after two months.

Our club reeks of nepotism and we won’t move an inch forward if we don’t shake off this. Both as a fanbase and management.
it wasn't a disaster. The last few months have been a disaster granted but its been largely a disappointment with moments of hope and he failed. It was always going to be a very tall order as he has never been in the same league as Pep, Klopp or many others you could mention. He's done OK though given his limitations. You can't expect Dan James to perform like Messi so I'm not sure why some are angry at Ole not winning the league. This year has been a disaster though, no doubt.

before then we've been inconsistent, up and down. Let's get some perspective though. Ole is just another manager who didn't win the league as United manager. Only 3 managers have managed that in the history of our club.

On the nepotism you are right but you can't blame Ole for that. You can't have expected him to say no when offered the job on an interim then permanent basis. He believed in himself and failed. The fact he was offered the job when he didn't deserve it is on the Glazers.

Enigma_87

You know who
it wasn't a disaster. The last few months have been a disaster granted but its been a disappointment.

before then we've been inconsistent, up and down. Let's get some perspective though. Ole is just another manager who didn't win the league as United manager. Only 3 managers have managed that in the history of our club.

On the nepotism you are right but you can't blame Ole for that. You can't have expected him to say no when offered the job on an interim then permanent basis. He believed in himself and failed. The fact he was offered the job when he didn't deserve it is on the Glazers.
You can’t simply look at inconsistency. Our squad is a complete mess. He didn’t really promote anyone in terms of youth players and our wage structure is through the roof. On top of spending half a billion.

I’d take what Jose left with 500m in the bank under a competent manager in the last two years any day of the week and we would be in a much better state.
During this time we missed on manager like Tuchel and now we have a zero plan what to do next.

PoTMS

And just like that I love him again. Criminal how these cnuts on the board let him continue for so long.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just when you think the embarrassing threads couldn't get any worse....

Some of you lot need to give your head a wobble. A total lack of respect.

You can call him out on his failings as a manager and still respect the guy for all he has done.

He is the only manager post Fergie that passionately wanted the club to return to the summit. He wasn't good enough to take us there but let's not crucify the guy.
So you think that the rest wanted United to fail?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The only manager we've had post SAF who's been able to back up a top 4 finish.

He earned his shot at the big time this season, its a huge shame its turned out the way it has, but he managed with far more class than Mourinho, even if we're in the same nosedive we were in his last season.

If this incredibly talented squad goes on to some success under a better manager, he'll deserve credit for putting it together.
The only manager post SAF who didn't win a single trophy with United that was after spending 415m