Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Red Star One

Now fans are planning to have an Ole Tribute at the Arsenal game. They must be out of their minds?
Since when do we honour or celebrate failure? This is why I keep saying that there are a lot of Ole fans instead of real United fans.
Perhaps it’s to celebrate he’s still gone?

But yeah, it’s a very small-time mentality

Red the Bear

Something less generic
As a player we have already given him one when he retired. It's taking the piss by giving him one now after the disastrous performance as a manager.
So we should excommunicate any manger who fails to win a title with like some tyrannical oil regime

Yes we've become like Liverpool with their pathetic sentimentality but there's nothing wrong with fans appreciating a manger and player whom they love and tried his best

MrBest

Cant change the fact that he scored that goal in 99. He is a huge part of our history, mixed feelings on his management, id rather that now become history as we focus on the next chapter.

Dunk the Lunk

I honestly thought people knew but just chose to ignore it. There were stories about it on Twitter too.
I guarantee you every Norwegian on redcafe knows about it, they just chose to look the other way. It was big in sweden as a few of them are from here.

I really liked him before but this opened my eyes to what a rotten person he really is and it makes me sick in my stomach every time i read anyone saying what "wonderful person" he is. He isnt.

The Hilton

Now fans are planning to have an Ole Tribute at the Arsenal game. They must be out of their minds?
Since when do we honour or celebrate failure? This is why I keep saying that there are a lot of Ole fans instead of real United fans.
Just to clarify, the match going fans are the ones who aren't real United fans because they have an attachment to a club legend?

I assume you'll be at the match booing the Ole tribute, given that you're a real United fan and not an Ole fan?

Foxbatt

Just to clarify, the match going fans are the ones who aren't real United fans because they have an attachment to a club legend?

I assume you'll be at the match booing the Ole tribute, given that you're a real United fan and not an Ole fan?
I have been a match going fan. I don't boo ex managers or players either. But to give an ex manager a tribute for not winning anything and putting us in the current position we are is ridiculous. As a player he had his testimonial. If he had retired then it's great. He got sacked.

Manny

Grammar Police
Its the Ole surfer banner. It won't kill you.

And "celebrate failure"? :houllier:
Im convinced some of our fans have escaped from a mental asylum. Where was this energy for LVG who won a trophy and actually promoted the youth.
I'm convinced some of our fans have only been supporting the club for five minutes.

AndyMUFC

He's a club legend and we're showing him that he is still viewed as that. What's the problem?

Foxbatt

It's OK. If it ends with that.
We had so many ex players and much bigger legends than him. He came back as a manager got sacked due to his incompetency. If they take their time and once we start winning then it's ok. But not now.

The Hilton

I have been a match going fan. I don't boo ex managers or players either. But to give an ex manager a tribute for not winning anything and putting us in the current position we are is ridiculous. As a player he had his testimonial. If he had retired then it's great. He got sacked.
He's not any ex manager or player. He's a club legend, and fans are paying tribute to him for the atmosphere he brought back to the club after the toxicity of Mourinho.

You don't have to agree with them, but calling fans who will actually be at the game not real fans, because they have a deeper attachment to a club legend than you do, is one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum.

The Hilton

I'm convinced some of our fans have only been supporting the club for five minutes.
This is pretty much it, a lot of people showing their plasticity.

For crying out loud, even Chelsea and their plastic fans had a banner up for their first home match following Lampard's departure.

MoskvaRed

He's not any ex manager or player. He's a club legend, and fans are paying tribute to him for the atmosphere he brought back to the club after the toxicity of Mourinho.

You don't have to agree with them, but calling fans who will actually be at the game not real fans, because they have a deeper attachment to a club legend than you do, is one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum.
By all means give him a song or a round of applause but, for a club that has won 20 league titles, Ole is a curious kind of legend. He was a supersub whose alternative career path was not, like Robson or Giggs, a well paid gig at a European giant, but rather mid-table Spurs. And basically anyone would have improved the atmosphere after the Mourinho meltdown.

Foxbatt

They have a deeper attachment to a club legend than the club itself.

Roboc7

i think it’s guilt, people fawning over him after wanting him sacked. There’s no need to go over the top just carry on showing appreciation same as did before he was a manager.

I cannot understand the obsession with atmosphere and vibes, Ole tried but he failed and left us where he found us. It’s not his fault he wasn’t good enough and there’s nothing wrong with fans admitting he failed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I honestly thought people knew but just chose to ignore it. There were stories about it on Twitter too.

Didn't he have some very interesting signings whilst Cardiff manager, most of which were players who were also under the same agent as he, and he was accused of having a conflict of interest?

wolvored

We were dire in those two games but we put up a fight. That City game, for instance, Dzeko scored a very early goal that killed any remnant of willpower we had left, but we still played with our heads up and their second was actually a fantastic side foot volley by the same player if I remember correctly. In the derby few weeks back City could have easily scored eight if they had wanted to.
Was that in the tunnel? It wasnt on the pitch.

James Peril

Tarnished. He scored one goal that made him a «legend» 22 years ago, otherwise he was pretty far from being one. His ego made him think he could manage this club, but of course he couldn’t. For me, he will always be remembered as the scorer of that goal - as well as being one of the worst managers of all time in the Premier League.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Tarnished. He scored one goal that made him a «legend» 22 years ago, otherwise he was pretty far from being one. His ego made him think he could manage this club, but of course he couldn’t. For me, he will always be remembered as the scorer of that goal - as well as being one of the worst managers of all time in the Premier League.
Eh.....
126 goals in 366 games over 11 seasons at Utd

6 P.Ls
2 FA Cups
1 CL

But, yeah, OK. I mean there are loads of players who won 6 league titles with the same club who are not considered legends, I just can't think of their names right now.

The Hilton

They have a deeper attachment to a club legend than the club itself.
How have you worked that out? They aren't boycotting United to go round Ole's house, they're just holding up a banner in tribute at a match.

Honestly mate you need to take a step back and figure out why you have such a problem with fans paying tribute to Ole. Your arguments are nonsensical and frankly just bizarre.

The Hilton

By all means give him a song or a round of applause but, for a club that has won 20 league titles, Ole is a curious kind of legend. He was a supersub whose alternative career path was not, like Robson or Giggs, a well paid gig at a European giant, but rather mid-table Spurs. And basically anyone would have improved the atmosphere after the Mourinho meltdown.
Who cares whether he's a curious legend or not? He's still a legend. He was the winning goalscorer in the highest moment in the club's history, and stayed with us when he could have played more elsewhere, helping us rack up trophies along the way.

He may not have been the new Pep as a manager, but if you've got an emotional attachment to the club from back when Ole was a player, then it's highly likely you've got an emotional attachment to Ole.

Fans paying tribute to that aren't "Ole over United" or whatever nonsense some of the plastic fans are suggesting, they're simply paying tribute to a legend who's no longer managing.

Redfrog

Eh.....

6 P.Ls
2 FA Cups
1 CL

But, yeah, OK. I mean there are loads of players who won 6 league titles with the same club who are not considered legends, I just can't think of their names right now.
Well, we have quite a few players like that. But Ole never was an essential player for us. He was a super sub. So I don’t know if he can be considered as a legend.
I can probably list 20 players in SAF time who contributed more then him.
It’s easy just to look at the honors. He was a good player, played his part in our success, was likable but nothing more then that apart from the famous goal of course.

I do think his “legend status” was grossly exaggerated by the United PR team after he became United manager and many fans bought it. Before he became manager he was well liked and fondly remembered for his goal and status as a super sub, a cult hero in a way but never the legend he was made out to be after he became manager.

Don’t get me wrong, he played a huge part in our most legendary moment and as a team short on European cups it’s natural that we will feel closer to him than Barca do to Koeman or Madrid feel to Bale, or Liverpool feel Dudek etc.

Levi1

Eh.....

6 P.Ls
2 FA Cups
1 CL

Not sure that goals per games is exactly fair. Perhaps you have access to goals per minute ratio?

I do think his “legend status” was grossly exaggerated by the United PR team after he became United manager and many fans bought it. Before he became manager he was well liked and fondly remembered for his goal and status as a super sub, a cult hero in a way but never the legend he was made out to be after he became manager.

Don’t get me wrong, he played a huge part in our most legendary moment and as a team short on European cups it’s natural that we will feel closer to him than Barca do to Koeman or Madrid feel to Bale, or Liverpool feel Dudek etc.
Yup, they did upgrade his status after he joined as manager. But there were also segments of the supporters who always saw him that way. You always get that with goal scorers.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Eh.....

6 P.Ls
2 FA Cups
1 CL

Many of our younger fans have been brainwashed into thinking all he did was score at the Nou Camp. fecking clueless. :lol:

mk7

This whole schtick of overtly being sorry for having to end the misery is simply pathetic. As a player, no one else will be the "super sub", period. As a manager, he was the perfect interim but definitely overstayed his welcome and his ability. As an adult with plenty of experience in your general area of expertise, you should be able to judge or even be aware if you are out of your depth or not. Obviously the experience or the necessary self-consciousness was lacking ...

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Many of our younger fans have been brainwashed into thinking all he did was score at the Nou Camp. fecking clueless. :lol:
Its mental. I mean, it wasn't even the only stoppage time winner he scored in 99 to keep us in the hunt for the treble.

Few ever mention it, but we were 1-0 down to Liverpool in one of the early rounds of the FA Cup going into the last 10 minutes and he came on and scored an injury time winner.

Looking at his stats...

366 appearances – 150 as a substitute – scoring 126 goals. 50 of those came in the last 30 minutes of games, and 33 of those were in the last 15 minutes.
And people can't understand that some of us who witnessed that consider him a legend?

Max_United

Well to be fair Koeman scored an extra-time winner to clinch first-ever Barcelona champions cup, so he is somewhat comparable.

Well to be fair Koeman scored an extra-time winner to clinch first-ever Barcelona champions cup, so he is somewhat comparable.
comparable in what he did yes, comparable in how he’s viewed by fans not at all. Maybe if Barca didn’t win another 4 CL after that their fans might view Koeman more specially

Manny

Grammar Police
Yeah they have. It's these attention seeking United fan channels and twitter accounts, who post shit tweets that get amplified by opposition fans.

Amazing how fans have just chucked his career in the mud on their say so. I feel sad for them.

Foxbatt

True. I guess the question is how much you're willing to let the past affect your eyes when you are looking at the present and future.
I have seen us get relegated and then come up and win the FA Cup a few times. Then struggle until SAF took over. So having the horrid time under Jose was roses compared to going down to the old second division .

Amir

I have seen us get relegated and then come up and win the FA Cup a few times. Then struggle until SAF took over. So having the horrid time under Jose was roses compared to going down to the old second division .
I actually meant how you let the memories from Solskjaer as a player affect your view of him as a manager.