Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Teja

Nope, I don’t buy it. If the next manager succeeds, it is because he would be good and up for the task. Ole’s legacy is the period from he was hired till he gets sacked. Not what comes after that.

I was never a big fan of weirdos who were giving LVG credit for Bayern (and some even more weirdos, for Barca’s) success that happened after he was fired. Same here.
We went from Young, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Pereira, Lukaku, Mata to
---------------------- Shaw, Maguire, Varane, AwB, McFred, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo.

If the next manager succeeds immediately it will most definitely be because of the squad building we've done the past 3 years.

If the next manager fails and it takes another 4 years and hundreds of millions more down the drain I will accept that we haven't really rebuilt the squad well.

macheda14

Disagree with this tbh. Give Moyes this squad and players not openly rebelling I’m pretty sure he’s a better coach than Ole will ever be. Moyes has actually proved it too at other places before and since.
Moyes wasn't a great coach at United. He made a lot of errors, didn't have a good understanding of his players, made us play some absolutely criminal football (that Fulham game..) and as a result his players rebelled. Before United he managed a solid Everton side, but a lot of Everton fans on here said he got them performing at exactly the level you'd expect. They constantly spent about the 5th - 7th most in the league and that's about where they always finished. He didn't win a trophy with them. After leaving United he was atrocious at Real Sociedad and not very good at Sunderland. His first stint at West Ham was alright in as much as he kept them up. However only now is he showing himself as a good manager. Perhaps give Moyes the job now and we'd be a much better side, but that's with far far more experience.

People forget just how dire we were under him with an ageing, but very very experienced squad full of quality.

The Oracle

He’s not the worst, that’s still Tommy Docherty who got us relegated, but even Dochs still won an FA Cup - over Liverpool no less.

Ole is damned close in my eyes though to eclipsing that legacy due to a lack of major honours. It’s just not The United Way.
That 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1977, actually stopped Liverpool from winning 'The Treble', as that season they won the League and would go on to win the European Cup... but no FA Cup.

To this day it is only Manchester United that have won 'The Treble' of the League, FA Cup, and European Cup (the most difficult treble there is to win in English football).

So that victory by Doch's would turn out to be seismic, especially 22 years later in 1999 :)

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Are you lot all under 15? fecking he'll.

Firstly, as a player the guy scored a treble winning injury time goal (leaving aside everything else he did as a player) he's a Utd legend.

As a manager, I think he's done, but, he came into a completely toxic environment and got it back to something resembling what this club should look like.

I think it's time for him to move on, but my biggest worry is that we go back to the thinking that saw us appoint the likes of LVG or Mourinho, who thought the club should align to their philosophy rather than they align with ours.

Worst Utd manager ever? Maybe if you're 15.
Ah yes, our famous philosophy. 0-5 to liverpool at OT, and only 5 because they stopped playing. The precious "United way" which nowadays is basically a glorified hoofball football, performed by very expensive footballers.
We can't lose that.
Ole's done but maybe hire Giggsy next, or Rio, or Neville. They will surely keep the philosophy flowing.

LVG and Mourinho failed because they are done as top tier managers.

We should absolutely find someone who would transform this club and bring it into the 21st century. Sadly the likes of Woodward and his mates have proven they don't have a clue. So it won't happen.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nope, I don’t buy it. If the next manager succeeds, it is because he would be good and up for the task. Ole’s legacy is the period from he was hired till he gets sacked. Not what comes after that.

I was never a big fan of weirdos who were giving LVG credit for Bayern (and some even more weirdos, for Barca’s) success that happened after he was fired. Same here.
Oh I agree. Ole hasn’t been a remote success unless you drastically lower your expectations for him, and him alone (which many have been willing to do) but if the next guy comes in and wins instantly - which he should do if Ole’s built such a great platform after 3 years - then we’ll at least be able to point to his squad building as a positive.

If not, then he’s merely been the highest spending manager with the least success to show for it. And if we take anymore than 2 years to get back into winning ways, then we’ll have to basically start rebuilding the squad again…

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We are on course for a 59 point season, which is worse than Moyes. Goal difference, we are on course for a +4. It could also be argued that the next 10 matches are gonna be harder than these 9 we had.

For comparison, we finished with 64 points and a +21 with Moyes. We got trashed by Liverpool (and City) at home, but not this much trashed.

I hated Moyes, I really did. But this is worse than anything we had under Moyes. Especially when you consider the money Ole spent.
Moyes was out of his depth, he knows it, we all knows it, got his chance and rightly sacked. No hard feeling after he's gone.

Ole on the other hand, worse than Moyes but lauded as the next Fergie.

SAF lost 1-6 at home against City. It can happen. But Moyes was a far worse manager.
Comparing SAF to this shows an utter lack of understanding… I’ll spell it out it we beat Liverpool 5-0 today do you think the Liverpool fans would want Klopp out? Do you think Klopp’s future and credentials would be questioned? NO!

SAFMUTD

If he wasn't United Legend.

Just imagine for 10 sec if he's not United Legend, how bad would he be rated.
He still is, he's just appreciated (mistakenly IMO) by the fans due to his career as a player.

But no one rates him, I mean no one that truly matters. Once he's sacked he won't get another job in the EPL.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He still is, he's just appreciated (mistakenly IMO) by the fans due to his career as a player.

But no one rates him, I mean no one that truly matters. Once he's sacked he won't get another job in the EPL.
So it's clear it's nepotism

Being a united legend should just be a marginal leeway, it shouldnt be the base of his appointment.

If he wasn't United Legend.

Just imagine for 10 sec if he's not United Legend, how bad would he be rated.
I think he’d get rated for the rebuild and keeping us in the CL plus the rebuilding and fixing the “mood” but people would also be quick to mention:

1) Mourinho only lost players in the final season so in a 2-5 months period so it’s not a huge rot that had set in
2) For 2 seasons Mourinho won things and finished second.
3) Getting us into the CL, people would be quick to mention that Mourinho never failed to qualify for the CL so not as if Ole took over club that hadn’t been in it for 3-6 years. In face he took over a club that had qualified for the knock out stages.
4) He’s flaws would be highlighted as well as time and money he’s been given.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Moyes was out of his depth, he knows it, we all knows it, got his chance and rightly sacked. No hard feeling after he's gone.

Moyes would have done more with this squad.

SAFMUTD

So it's clear it's nepotism

Being a united legend should just be a marginal leeway, it shouldnt be the base of his appointment.
Of course its nepotism, do you think that we randomly go out and scout for coaches in the Scandinavian leagues?

That 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1977, actually stopped Liverpool from winning 'The Treble', as that season they won the League and would go on to win the European Cup... but no FA Cup.

To this day it is only Manchester United that have won 'The Treble' of the League, FA Cup, and European Cup (the most difficult treble there is to win in English football).

So that victory by Doch's would turn out to be seismic, especially 22 years later in 1999 :)
If ever there was a fact worthy of the “Fun Fact” opening this would be it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Nah he still think he needed a bit more time :lol:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Ole's squad building is ridiculously overrated.

You signed Raphael Varane, bravo, here's a medal for you Ole. You signed Jadon Sancho, another masterstroke, such a squad builder you are. It's hard to find a manager who would spend 400 milion pounds on players in three years and not make his team look better, at least on paper.

And yet, money was wasted on Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Ronaldo too.

Really glad his tenure is coming to an end

bleedred

You signed Raphael Varane, bravo, here's a medal for you Ole. You signed Jadon Sancho, another masterstroke, such a squad builder you are. It's hard to find a manager who would spend 400 milion pounds on players in three years and not make his team look better, at least on paper.

Add to the fact not a single youth player has been promoted yet during his three years.

bleedred

Moyes suffered from the fact that he came in with no "credit" among the players and the fans. Both Moyes and Ole are not the quality of managers we needed. Ole may slightly edge Moyes as a better suit for us, but on an overall level, Moyes is way better manager than Ole.

Ole would have relegated this Westham side twice over. I am sure when he is out of here, he will not get any offer among the top leagues.

I’ve said it before. His signings lacked ambition and were obvious choices, but Varane was a master stroke and every club would sign him if they could , I get going for Maguire as our previous signings mostly flopped.

Disappointed that for a guy who keeps going on about “the United way “ and “United DNA” he’s completed isolated the two most Man Utd types of signings VDB and Amad, you can imagine SAF making those types of signings and both becoming huge stars at United, or being given enough chances until it’s obvious they are not cut out for it.

Obviously for Amad it’s a progression thing, Ole’s showed no interest in giving him minutes and game.

Kopral Jono

Ole knows he's way out of his depth from day one and been on survival mode ever since but this is expected, after all it's never going to get any better for him as a manager. The problem lies with our club's culture where nostalgic sentimentality is rewarded with brownie points by certain influential segments of our fanbase. Our leech owners know this full well and they play along.

Right there with Moyes as the worst United manager most of United fans can remember. Probably worse than Moyes if you consider the backing he had.

Spent 420m, three years…to actually be worse than when he took over.

Personally, I hope I won’t ever see his face. Unless it is to replace Fred the Red, cause that is what he has made United, a total circus.
Moyes took the champions of england to 7th place.

Ole is the only manager since Fergie that'd provided consistent champions league qualification.

Everyone's upset and emotions are running high - but lets keep some perspective.

lawliet354

In vacuum Moyes is still the worst though, we were 7th without looking to ever get any better in the future, no strategy, players showed him no respect, horrible transfer, he showed underdog mentality while being defending champions. With Ole at least we can won some games against the top 6, with Moyes it's never a contest whenever a big game's coming.

Career wise thought it's not even a contest between them. Give Ole West Ham or Everton then he'll relegate them in 2 seasons

Flytan

Moyes took the champions of england to 7th place.

Ole is the only manager since Fergie that'd provided consistent champions league qualification.

Everyone's upset and emotions are running high - but lets keep some perspective.
We Arsenal now or something? Give me a FA Cup or Europa over that

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So he will not resign.

He is 100% dead for me!!!

I felt 1% sorry for him at full-time.

His post-match interview is a disgrace.

He only cares about his contract......yes you Solskjaer fans.....he doesn't care about the club.
Can't believe the clown in the match day thread who said that Ole would resign because he loves the club so much :lol:

That idiot is delusional like all the Ole fan boys.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Exactly

His first transfer window consisted of Maguire, AWB, James and Bruno. We spent 145m on the former three and yet one is already gone and the others can't stop leaking goals and making mistakes. Then we had the invisible transfer window with VDB, Telles, Diallo and Pellistri. That's because none of these players were given a sniff of first team play. Finally we had this transfer window. Its too early to judge it but it left us with a hugely unbalanced team and Sancho (70m) is struggling big time.

frostbite

Ole's legacy? Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

"Squad building" means nothing if you end up lower than where you started!

It is not like Ole paid from his pocket for these players, and it is not like these players wanted to play under Ole and they would not join us if we had some other manager.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So he will not resign.

He is 100% dead for me!!!

I felt 1% sorry for him at full-time.

His post-match interview is a disgrace.

He only cares about his contract......yes you Solskjaer fans.....he doesn't care about the club.
He would be an idiot to resign.

He has every right to believe that he can turn this around. It should be up to the board to deny him that right and compensate him accordingly.

For anyone saying they would be honorable... Well that's why you're posting on the Caf at 4 AM

passtheball

If our board and fanbase has any sense, then Solskjaer's legacy will be that of a warning. A warning of what can happen when you prefer romanticism over standards, when you encourage and let nepotism fester top to bottom, when an ex-player is a manager because he is an ex-player.

I have never accepted this idea that Ole has made the culture of the club better. Any half-decent manager after Jose would have brought "good vibes" in the beginning. You know what else they would have brought? Tactics. Style. A winning mentality. It needs to be said that Solskjaer has been a complete failure in every regard. He has ridden on the coattails of individual brilliance from beginning to end.

At this moment, Manchester United are a laughing stock. We got beat 0-5 at home against our biggest rivals and it wasn't even a surprise. I hope we will remember how far we have fallen, and I hope we won't let it happen again. The first step to recovery: sack Ole and his coaches. Get Conte, Zidane, whoever. They all operate at a level that Ole can never reach.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole knows he's way out of his depth from day one and been on survival mode ever since but this is expected, after all it's never going to get any better for him as a manager. The problem lies with our club's culture where nostalgic sentimentality is rewarded with brownie points by certain influential segments of our fanbase. Our leech owners know this full well and they play along.
I think Ole is more cunning than he's given credit. He's planting his own yes men around (Carrick, McKenna, Phelan, Fletcher), he knows just the right spot to tickle the fans with his rhetorics (United way, Passion) and his purchase reeks something that the fans would love (British lion CB, Young RB) but offers nothing tactically,. Amad, VdB, more often than not I don't even think he has his own plan of what he wants to do with them other than this sets of players would make the fans happy. Somehow his player selection also reeks feels good tactics with ex-fans favorite Martial keeps getting spot. This might work with players like Greenwood, rashy and an out of favor Pogba. But with Ronaldo coming that sort of trick would not wash. Ronnie would know a tactically inept coach the moment he opens his mouth.

I could have forgiven him if he's frantically trying things, but so far he changed nothing, just sitting there smiling thinking that there's nothing wrong, or knowing that there's something wrong but don't know how to fix it.

How can anyone that loves the club sits there while we're being trounced by Liverpool 5-0 at home, and the cheekiness to take a 10 minute selfie session with fans? Loses happens, you don't have to be Mourinho but for the love of odin show that you're pissed (cue ole Inners prentending that he's some mean boss behind the screen)

Our owners aren't bad, they're just dumb. They gave him 400m at the end of the day at times like this.

if he loves the club so much he'd resign. I know I would if my ineptness are hurting the ones I loved I'd gladly hold my hands up and let expert take better care of it.

Strelok

LVG, Mou? And we do look better on paper now.

I know it's not in the trend to say nice things about Ole, especially after last match but tbf he's done a fine job until this season. Remember the rampant discussion about the title just two months ago? You don't do a bad job if fans talking about winning the title.

It's always bad when things come to an end and fall apart. Managers are sacked because things are bad. But let's not paint it all grey and shite because of your current feeling or hatre. It's time to move on but Ole still always has my respect and love.

Jackal981

I laugh to all of you who before this game keep parroting that he loves United. Obviously he loves money more. In no way shape of form he is going to have the dignity to resign because he is forfeiting a ton of money. He knows he wont get another top job ever again..

PaulRich

He did a great job of steadying the ship post the toxicity of the Mourinho reign. He's done OK overall but a stop gap was all he ever should have been considered as. Elite level teams and coaches are finding him out and in all honesty have been doing all along.

Ralph1386

Any half-decent manager after Jose would have brought "good vibes" in the beginning. You know what else they would have brought? Tactics. Style. A winning mentality. It needs to be said that Solskjaer has been a complete failure in every regard. He has ridden on the coattails of individual brilliance from beginning to end.
It is very telling that as soon as he was announced as a permanent manager in 2019, our performances dropped drastically.

ash_86

For me the way Jose left the team three years back was the ultimate low. Ole has done good job of steadying the ship and rebuilding us and got consecutive top four fishes , something which we have never done for a long time. Sadly , this looks like the maximum he could take us forward. I wont view Ole's reign as a failure but a disappointment. He has left us a better squad that what Jose did and i'm happy with that fact.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not his fault he was allowed to stay on after a decent caretaker spell is the way I see it. Most top clubs would have seen his limitations early on and nipped it in the bud like most of us fans could see from a mile off. Instead the board tarnished his legacy by extending contract and making out like he’s a home made Guardiola.

Baneofthegame

His legacy as a player for our club isn’t in question for me at all.

His managerial one? A coach that’s out of his depth.