Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Son

Add to the fact not a single youth player has been promoted yet during his three years.
I was gonna mention this. Mou used Rashford, McTomminay and even gave people like Gomes a handing over the guard with Rooney at OT.

Mou wanted Greenwood in with the first team and also used Borthwick-Jackson. When was the last youth player Ole has brought in properly? Brandon Williams maybe? Even as a regular sub?

Tbh thinking back that wasn’t amazing either given our crop of youngsters. Maybe not many have made the grade which I can forgive.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What fecking ship has he steadied? We're right where Mourinho left us. 500 million for what? Being in the same position we were 3 years ago, still unable to even reach Jose's best season?
He definitely steadied the ship and got rid of some dross. I don’t know about the rest of shit you went on about as I agree he should’ve gone last year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he had just left at the right time he would be seen as a very good manager for a transition. Now the recency bias is going to tarnish the managerial impact he's made for us in a bad way. Unless he turns it around of course which is quite bleak.

Skills

Snitch
If he had just left at the right time he would be seen as a very good manager for a transition. Now the recency bias is going to tarnish the managerial impact he's made for us in a bad way. Unless he turns it around of course which is quite bleak.
Tbf you could say the same for Mourinho if he was sacked after Seville or the end of 17/18. Same for LvG if he was sacked at the end of 14/15

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He definitely steadied the ship and got rid of some dross. I don’t know about the rest of shit you went on about as I agree he should’ve gone last year.
I really hate it when people give credit for this when the outgoing players already had one foot out the door. He deserves feck all credit for this, because any manager with half a brain cell walking in would have gotten rid of some dross. Sanchez was disinterested and wanted out well before Ole, Lukaku himself said he wanted out since the second training session of season 2. Ole himself insinuated he wanted to keep Young on, but Young wanted a new challenge in Italy. Jones was offered a new 5 year deal while he was caretaker, and I'm sure consulted upon at a minimum. Romero was fecked about. Pereira is still with the club, in fact Ole kept persisting with him for a period too. Then he overspent on Maguire a season before Diaz walks through the Ethiad doors costing 30m or so less, he bought AWB before then thinking he wants Trippier instead and he bought Bruno 6 months too late whilst getting VDB in only to rot on the bench.

He didn't do badly because the players he did get are good potential and hungry, but please lets not exaggerate for steadying the ship. His outgoings are either obvious or still stuck with the club and his new players are broadly overrated bar Bruno, or not given a chance (VDB) which will inevitably breed unrest. I think anyone could have done the sales he made with considerable ease.

wolvored

His legacy is he spent even more money than the previous 3 managers, yet won feck all. He is on a par with Moyes. Moyes bought in inexperienced and/or not good enough at this level dross coaches to help him and so has Ole.
I love Ole the player, but surely for his own sake he must realise hes not going to ever be good enough and leave, rather than wait for the inevitable sacking. Hes a multi millionaire already and would surely negotiate a payoff if he leaves.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
This really becomes tiring. He got rid of some dross but created another. Mata, Matic, Pereira, Jones, Bailly, Martial - all signing contracts past their expiry date.
Maguire, AWB look like flops already and Dalot plays more than his 15m signing Telles, who might also join the group.

Maguire will only get worse and good luck moving him in if needed when he’s on 200k contract and paid as much as Salah and 20k less than VVD.

Were they really dross? Lukaku, Darmain, Herrera, Young etc all went on to win titles after they left. Maybe they weren't problem. I'm just saying.

redshaw

I will think more how he stayed too long and continued to add to our oddball squad rather than improve it.

Wasting Donny's short football life by two years is really poor. We'll see if he actually dares to use him or a new manager does. I can take a mistake but don't feed the player a load of bullshit a year in, not with this form. He's on about keeping Lingard, we can't hoard all these players.

RORY65

His recruitment, while not great and somewhat overrated on here, has definitely been better than his predecessors and he's largely removed the toxicity around the club, we've been relatively stable and in the top 4 under Ole while there have been some really enjoyable games since he took over (more than under any manager post Ferguson) .

However I think the idea of him undertaking this "cultural reset" is largely bollocks though. We haven't had any young players really make a breakthrough since Greenwood, who played in the PSG game, and there's no evidence yet that the relatively minor changes to the structure at the club have made any difference, the only place where we can see the culture created is on the pitch and I'm not sure it's that positive.

There seems to be a culture of favouritism in the teams he picks, where certain underperforming players face no consequences for bad form which shows that there is no meritocracy in team selection, allied to a culture of expecting players to play when injured and playing players who aren't fully fit (Rashford in the previous two seasons, Magure in 19/20 and now him and McTominay along with other examples).

But they all arise from the main issue, a culture where the idea of modern ideas and progressive coaching are dismissed as "hipster" opinions (he hasn't said those words but he's always very dismissive of the value of tactics and coaching and it's a term his staunchest defenders have used) in favour of nostalgia and old-school values. There is no system or cohesion so players can't slot in when needed, as Liverpool did with Milner, Jota and Konate yesterday, and so he has to keep resorting to the same players who have delivered individually at some stage in the past, regardless of form or fitness.

As noted in the first paragraph he has done some things well but it's now time to move on, if that time hadn't already come, and bring in a manager who is going to create a coherent team who look like they've developed something in training and are actually learning and improving on a daily basis.

We Arsenal now or something? Give me a FA Cup or Europa over that
I was responding to a poster saying Ole has been worse for us than Moyes. Which is ridiculous.

Yeah Champions League qualification isn't the ultimate goal, it's the minimum base line.

You can snigger at that all you want but I don't see who can come in and quickly make us better than Pep's City and Klopp's Liverpool. Who ever is managing United we might need to just accept that for a couple more years.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This really becomes tiring. He got rid of some dross but created another. Mata, Matic, Pereira, Jones, Bailly, Martial - all signing contracts past their expiry date.
Maguire, AWB look like flops already and Dalot plays more than his 15m signing Telles, who might also join the group.

Maguire will only get worse and good luck moving him in if needed when he’s on 200k contract and paid as much as Salah and 20k less than VVD.
Maguire is in poor form but is far from a flop.

justsomebloke

Worse than LVG and Mourinho, better than Moyes. Moyes for an equal amount of time as Solskjaer would've been beyond anything we've seen under Ole.
No way is he worse than Mourinho. And if he leaves now, he leaves us in a considerably better place than LvG did. But this should really be the end.

Karlos PFC

Were they really dross? Lukaku, Darmain, Herrera, Young etc all went on to win titles after they left. Maybe they weren't problem. I'm just saying.
What are you on about? Top reds in here will rip you for your negativity.

Who needs Lukaku and Herrera when we can get VDB for our bench and McFred for starters, we've given Martial his favorite no9 and made him a starter so he could score and assist in his 1 great season with us.

I'm sorry miss but your out of line, no manager in world football could come and do a better job with the limitations Ole had in his tenure.

SeanyC

He steadied the ship! I’ll always be thankful for that but now he has to go, can’t take that extra yard needed…

Kopral Jono

I think Ole is more cunning than he's given credit. He's planting his own yes men around (Carrick, McKenna, Phelan, Fletcher), he knows just the right spot to tickle the fans with his rhetorics (United way, Passion) and his purchase reeks something that the fans would love (British lion CB, Young RB) but offers nothing tactically,. Amad, VdB, more often than not I don't even think he has his own plan of what he wants to do with them other than this sets of players would make the fans happy. Somehow his player selection also reeks feels good tactics with ex-fans favorite Martial keeps getting spot. This might work with players like Greenwood, rashy and an out of favor Pogba. But with Ronaldo coming that sort of trick would not wash. Ronnie would know a tactically inept coach the moment he opens his mouth.

I could have forgiven him if he's frantically trying things, but so far he changed nothing, just sitting there smiling thinking that there's nothing wrong, or knowing that there's something wrong but don't know how to fix it.

How can anyone that loves the club sits there while we're being trounced by Liverpool 5-0 at home, and the cheekiness to take a 10 minute selfie session with fans? Loses happens, you don't have to be Mourinho but for the love of odin show that you're pissed (cue ole Inners prentending that he's some mean boss behind the screen)

Our owners aren't bad, they're just dumb. They gave him 400m at the end of the day at times like this.

if he loves the club so much he'd resign. I know I would if my ineptness are hurting the ones I loved I'd gladly hold my hands up and let expert take better care of it.
You made some very valid points but I don't think this is a fair assessment on Ole overall. The fact that he brought yes men in and talks too much about 'passion' or the 'United way' whatever that may be are not indicative that he has a cunning plan or anything of that sort. What he is, ultimately, is an incompetent dud who somehow won the United managerial seat nepotism lottery by way of our leech owners being idiots, desperate to succeed at his dream job yet completely out of his depth.

KingCavani

The only difference between Ole and what came before him was the signing of Bruno Fernandes, a move that papered over cracks for far too long.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maguire is in poor form but is far from a flop.
Maguire in a more progressive team where he has to push till the middle of the park and leave a lot of grass behind will be a big, big problem. His best came in deep line where he is also covered by two other CB's.

He was bought on 80m, astronomical wages for his caliber and if this is considered as well in terms of whole packaged - he's far from a successful buy.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
As a manager he is completely out of his depths. A half competent and ambitious board would've sacked him a long time ago.

But as a player, he is a legend and his legacy would never be affected in my eyes.

Maticmaker

Ole's legacy.... 'I was there.... scored CL final winning goal (and ultimately treble winning goal) and was in charge as manager in worst defeat ever at OT, yesterdays drumming by the Scousers.

His cry will be ..."Infamy, Infamy... everybody has it 'in-for me!!"

Ixion

The only difference between Ole and what came before him was the signing of Bruno Fernandes, a move that papered over cracks for far too long.
Yep, and playing in front of empty stadiums which most of our players seem to prefer.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Solskjaer's legacy is that he steadied the ship massively after Mourinho left it so poisonous, he's also helped to build a generally better squad for the next manager..
I'd agree with that ^
Just my personal objective, nothing to do with what the clubs objectives may have been, but for me, although I desperately wanted Ole to win a trophy, more important was clearing the forest of deadwood from years of mismanagement and piss poor decision making, and creating a positive environment, and for me, he has done a pretty good job in those respects.

Looking at the players we have here now, I'm pretty happy that we have some real top talent here.
Of course we all know that MF is in need of a total overhaul, but the ship is on a pretty good course for someone else to take over and move us up a level or two.

If only he could have won that bloody Europa final....!!

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I'd agree with that ^
Just my personal objective, nothing to do with what the clubs objectives may have been, but for me, although I desperately wanted Ole to win a trophy, more important was clearing the forest of deadwood from years of mismanagement and piss poor decision making, and creating a positive environment, and for me, he has done a pretty good job in those respects.

Looking at the players we have here now, I'm pretty happy that we have some real top talent here.
Of course we all know that MF is in need of a total overhaul, but the ship is on a pretty good course for someone else to take over and move us up a level or two.

If only he could have won that bloody Europa final....!!
You will be unpleasantly surprised when a new man comes in and starts clearing De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, McTominay, Fred, possibly even Ronaldo etc. We are talking about first eleven players, not even reserves.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
If hes not careful, hes going to ruin his legacy here. Better to admit defeat, and go back into a caretaker role while the club look for a manger to take us forward and then bow out with grace when that happens.

Ludens the Red

Moyes took the champions of england to 7th place.

Ole is the only manager since Fergie that'd provided consistent champions league qualification.

Everyone's upset and emotions are running high - but lets keep some perspective.
Mourinho qualified for the Champions League twice too….

But Let It go man seriously. He’s not anywhere near good enough to be our manager, he never has been and never will be. You were told for a while this was going to happen. You argued and argued and argued. You straw manned, you massaged and you moved goal posts. The gig is now up.

There is perspective. The longer Ole manages United the more we are wasting this squad and delving into a state of average ness.

I noticed you’ve been having a go at the players which I think is fair, they were abysmal yesterday but I also saw you mention something about how Ole is giving it his all and the players aren’t. I disagree with that. Ole isn’t giving it his all. This level of managerial incompetence is not someone giving it his all. This team are an absolute mess at the moment when it comes to organisation and structure. That comes from Ole and the coaches. If they’re giving it their all that cannot be happening. The only way that happens is if every single United player at the club is incapable of following instructions. Our coaching staff are as lazy as the players. They don’t appear to fix mistakes, they can’t organise the team, they pick injured players time and time again. There was supposedly big changes coming after Leicester but all that changed was Paul Pogba not playing. Where was the big change? There was none and it’s because our coaches are incapable of doing their job and are too lazy to rectify mistakes. It’s a feckin shit show all round and everyone is culpable especially Ole.

Mourinho qualified for the Champions League twice too….

But Let It go man seriously. He’s not anywhere near good enough to be our manager, he never has been and never will be. You were told for a while this was going to happen. You argued and argued and argued. You straw manned, you massaged and you moved goal posts. The gig is now up.

There is perspective. The longer Ole manages United the more we are wasting this squad and delving into a state of average ness.

I noticed you’ve been having a go at the players which I think is fair, they were abysmal yesterday but I also saw you mention something about how Ole is giving it his all and the players aren’t. I disagree with that. Ole isn’t giving it his all. This level of managerial incompetence is not someone giving it his all. This team are an absolute mess at the moment when it comes to organisation and structure. That comes from Ole and the coaches. If they’re giving it their all that cannot be happening. The only way that happens is if every single United player at the club is incapable of following instructions. Our coaching staff are as lazy as the players. They don’t appear to fix mistakes, they can’t organise the team, they pick injured players time and time again. There was supposedly big changes coming after Leicester but all that changed was Paul Pogba not playing. Where was the big change? There was none and it’s because our coaches are incapable of doing their job and are too lazy to rectify mistakes. It’s a feckin shit show all round and everyone is culpable especially Ole.
As i said - i was simply reply to another poster who said Ole's been a worse manager for us than Moyes.

I've said that I'm surprised Ole wasn't sacked last night, or didn't resign.

I'll always support the club and the current Manager, and when a new Manager comes in I'll support them too.

I couldn't give a toss what you think frankly.

Robertd0803

On the pitch as a player its undeniable. Nothing will ever change that. Of course that requires seperating the player from the manager.

As a manager, I think if he really admitted it to himself he is out of his depth and we can all see that.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Recovered the club from the way Jose sabotaged it on the way out. Clearly he's stayed longer than he should of, I'm afraid his managerial legacy and the good he's done will all be undone if he doesn't step down soon.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Certainly not, Moyes and Van Gaal were worse.

His legacy is still a club legend as a player. As a manager, he sort of won the lottery finding himself at the one club that would hire him off the back of an okay interim job because of his status within the club, and going through he did a solid job rebuilding the squad but ultimately lacked any sort of execution on the back end tactically to get the most out of the players he bought.

The result yesterday was embarrassing but not totally surprising, and doesn't change my opinion on him either way.

Lovely guy, better manager than he's given credit for by some of the more emotional sections of our fanbase - he could do a job for midtable teams, at the very least - and has conducted himself magnificently throughout his time here, which counts for a lot considering the twunt he replaced.

But it looked likely by the end of last season that he'd hit his ceiling as a coach and we needed an upgrade to take the team further. Gone from "likely" to "more or less confirmed" after the last couple of weeks.

With any luck, he'll be remembered as the guy who set this squad up for the next manager to finally win us a major trophy or two.

spiriticon

1. Won us the CL in 99
2. Calmed the club after the Jose shitstorm
3. Ultimately losing the plot as a manager trying to match Pep/Klopp/Tuchel

Ludens the Red

As i said - i was simply reply to another poster who said Ole's been a worse manager for us than Moyes.

I've said that I'm surprised Ole wasn't sacked last night, or didn't resign.

I'll always support the club and the current Manager, and when a new Manager comes in I'll support them too.

I couldn't give a toss what you think frankly.
Slagging Off and not supporting the players is still fine though right? You’re very very good at that.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

This thread is embarrassing. Ole as a player and Ole as a manager are two very different things.

Plenty of players don't make it as a manager. For two seasons Ole has actually over achieved. He failed this summer by not sorting the midfield and now its come to cost him in a big way.

His luck has literally run out.

Will it impact his legacy....no, that is ridiculous and you should be banned for a while to reflect on this nonsense.

A lot hear need some time out!
Nail on the head.

Also, he did great with Rashford, Greenwood and Shaw. These players had no chance under Jose.

Kwasetombola

Hi there my first post on this site

As a united supporter since the 1977 FA Cup final my whole identity as a red has been linked to the games against the scousers.

Yesterday was the most hurtful experience I have had watching united in all that time as it was all so patently avoidable for all to see.

I will always cherish Oles legacy as a player as 1999 was one of the best years of my life truly amazing.

As a manager though his legacy is ultimately as a nice man utterly out of his depth and in denial and a poster boy for the structural issues at united.

Dobba

His biggest managerial legacy will be Mason Greenwood who'll go on to be Spurs' and England's all time record goalscorer, after he gets binned off in the summer in replacement for Kane.