Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Blood Mage

His legacy is crumbling, as Wan Bissaka and Maguire are no longer looking like the brilliant signings they initially seemed and Bruno's form has disappeared off a cliff with Donny and Sancho nowhere to be seen. Squad building was supposed to be what he was good at.

Will Singh

If he wants to save he’s legacy he walks, if he waits to get sacked that will be he’s legacy or what he will be remembered for….!

Loon

:lol:
Steadied the ship, but must see he is not the next level man. Of course he’s not going to step down as he’ll want to fight to get United going, but it’s a losing battle.

I’m not sure if I respected Keegan for stepping down when he did, or if I thought he was gutless.

The board have to decide.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Steadied the ship
Got rid of some rotten apples
Brought in some good players
Not good enough as a coach
Kept on a year too long

Real Name

Not good enough but calling the worst United manager ever.

People, really?

Never will tarnish his player legacy but it became a disaster unfortunately manager wise.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
His legacy will be that he was the best manager at United since SAF. Of course that's not saying much. The owners need to consider hiring new people to run the club because they have made so many bad decisions with managers and players.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
We are on course for a 59 point season, which is worse than Moyes. Goal difference, we are on course for a +4. It could also be argued that the next 10 matches are gonna be harder than these 9 we had.

For comparison, we finished with 64 points and a +21 with Moyes. We got trashed by Liverpool (and City) at home, but not this much trashed.

I hated Moyes, I really did. But this is worse than anything we had under Moyes. Especially when you consider the money Ole spent.
Well I don't know man. Moyes literally spent like 70 million euros in 7 months, while taking us from 1st to 7th place, despite having some fantastic players available. He also spent that money in an era where transfer fees were much less inflated than they are now, yet all we got was Marouane fecking Fellaini and of course Juan Mata in return - Mata, who for some reason is still here by the way, despite the last thing of relevance he did was probably Juanfield. He was a club record signing and we've recouped $0 on him.

At least Ole actually has had some half decent league campaigns with a respectable 2nd and 3rd place finish and reaching a European final. Hardly great, but the not soul crushing incompetence we've witnessed under Moyes imo. Players he's brought in at least have some resale too value I'd assume, unlike Mata or Fellaini. We were genuinely a laughing stock that year, but to be fair it does look like we're going to be in the same boat again this season.

Womp

idiot
I think this will be a turning point for the caf. For the past few years, you've had people suggesting the ones who wanted him out were 'not supporters of the club' etc. Surely by now, after 4 different managers, everyone can collectively agree that it doesn't take 2-3 years and ridiculous spending to start seeing signs of some good football.

The writing has been on the wall and these results really aren't that surprising to people who tried seeing things objectively rather than being led by sentimentality. We were quite often far outperforming our xG, we were quite often being bailed out in crucial moments, the only improvements to our football were purely personnel based, the passing was slow and predictable, the movement off the ball was non-existent, the pressing was a joke.

The next manager may not be successful in a year or two, but assuming he is good enough, you will start seeing signs of what they are trying to implement quite early on. We are 3 years in with Ole and people still don't have a fecking clue what kind of team we are - we still only look somewhat capable when we counter-attack.

Love the man and he's done some good, but even that has been blown out of proportion due to the love for him. Some of his signings haven't been good enough and were purchased for big money.

Good man, decent DOF, but unfortunately not quite good enough as a manager for Manchester United.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Obviously I disagree.

If I remember correctly, I even asked you who the last "poor" manager was who finished in top 4 in consecutive seasons, and I still am waiting for the reply.

He may be sacked tomorrow, but people saying that he hasn't done a decent job here are probably the state of our team in Dec'18

Skills

Snitch
Obviously I disagree.

If I remember correctly, I even asked you who the last "poor" manager was who finished in top 4 in consecutive seasons, and I still am waiting for the reply.

He may be sacked tomorrow, but people saying that he hasn't done a decent job here are probably the state of our team in Dec'18
I'll answer that question when he gets that PL job you're so sure he'll get after United.

Red Star One

I think this will be a turning point for the caf. For the past few years, you've had people suggesting the ones who wanted him out were 'not supporters of the club' etc. Surely by now, after 4 different managers, everyone can collectively agree that it doesn't take 2-3 years and ridiculous spending to start seeing signs of some good football.

The writing has been on the wall and these results really aren't that surprising to people who tried seeing things objectively rather than being led by sentimentality. We were quite often far outperforming our xG, we were quite often being bailed out in crucial moments, the only improvements to our football were purely personnel based, the passing was slow and predictable, the movement off the ball was non-existent, the pressing was a joke.

The next manager may not be successful in a year or two, but assuming he is good enough, you will start seeing signs of what they are trying to implement quite early on. We are 3 years in with Ole and people still don't have a fecking clue what kind of team we are - we still only look somewhat capable when we counter-attack.

Love the man and he's done some good, but even that has been blown out of proportion due to the love for him. Some of his signings haven't been good enough and were purchased for big money.

Good man, decent DOF, but unfortunately not quite good enough as a manager for Manchester United.
I’m not sure about that. Even now you already have posts about how much he cares for the club and how much better are we than before him, give it few more days and we’ll be back to completely pointless posts like “oh but remember how toxic was Mou”, “but he scored an important goal over 20 years ago”, “how many years it took Fergie to win a first trophy”. You have quite a few people here that put Ole before the club or the players and that are genuinely convinced it was not the fact our manager is completely inept tactically that made us lose, but they’ll find a scapegoat in Pogba or elsewhere. I don’t buy the turning point thing - it’s the most embarrassing night for Ole so far, but it was not a shock result, rather an obvious consequence of his actions. He’ll keep going this season, we’ll be reading same stuff after defeats that are coming next weeks - only perhaps in few years, when Ole is back to managing in Norway or maybe gives up completely, some will realize that yeah we love him but it doesn’t necessarily mean he had to waste so much of our time doing a job he’s totally unprepared for.

U99ted

Well I don't know man. Moyes literally spent like 70 million euros in 7 months, while taking us from 1st to 7th place, despite having some fantastic players available. He also spent that money in an era where transfer fees were much less inflated than they are now, yet all we got was Marouane fecking Fellaini and of course Juan Mata in return - Mata, who for some reason is still here by the way, despite the last thing of relevance he did was probably Juanfield. He was a club record signing and we've recouped $0 on him.

At least Ole actually has had some half decent league campaigns with a respectable 2nd and 3rd place finish and reaching a European final. Hardly great, but the not soul crushing incompetence we've witnessed under Moyes imo. Players he's brought in at least have some resale too value I'd assume, unlike Mata or Fellaini. We were genuinely a laughing stock that year, but to be fair it does look like we're going to be in the same boat again this season.
I agree Mata should have been gone by now, and I'm not giving Moyes any credit, but he did at least score in a winning FA Cup final under LVG. That was over a year after the Liverpool brace.

"European final" is worse than "hardly great", it's just part of Ole's failure. We dropped out of our CL group, losing to Istanbul, then conceded inside 2 minutes in a game we only needed a draw (e.g. a dull 0-0) from. That was before losing the EL to a team that finished 7th in La Liga and had never won a league or domestic cup title before.

DarkXaero

Ole is worse than Moyes for me. If you put Ole in charge of West Ham right now, he'd do a worse job than Moyes. I genuinely don't believe that Ole is a Premier League caliber manager.

Idxomer

So he will not resign.

He is 100% dead for me!!!

I felt 1% sorry for him at full-time.

His post-match interview is a disgrace.

He only cares about his contract......yes you Solskjaer fans.....he doesn't care about the club.
That has been obvious for years, he's been in survival mood since he got appointed as a manager.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ole is worse than Moyes for me. If you put Ole in charge of West Ham right now, he'd do a worse job than Moyes. I genuinely don't believe that Ole is a Premier League caliber manager.
Never has been. The board wanted to win some brownie points when they made him permanent manager

Schmeichel=God

Solskjaer's legacy is that he steadied the ship massively after Mourinho left it so poisonous, he's also helped to build a generally better squad for the next manager. The problem is that the board have given him more time than they should have, which is not entirely his fault, as much as I want him out and have never believed he's good enough, he should never have been given the job permanently in the first place. He's done good things here, but he was never going to take us to the next level, the club should have realised this and planned accordingly.
Oh it's poisonous and more imo now. Fractures are borderline irreparable. Massive surgery needed.

Paul's face
Ronaldo's kicks
Cavani likely checked out in the summer
De Gea surely apathetic
Henderson angling at a move
Bailly surely at a wtf
De Beek situation
Mata extended for what
Lingard wanting out surely

It's suddenly within 2 months a monstrous shitshow.

It's gonna need to be some Ole Mk II levels of atmosphere/vibes regeneration from the next manager.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sadly it will be that he stayed too long after doing some good for the club.

sp_107

I still remember his as some one who came to us at difficult time and brought smiles back to UTD fans. I know we were not always the well coached tram but the overall football was not that bad until last year. We had many good weekends

This year is very strange....Looks like all the good work over few years is undone and not sure why the same Midfield and Defense who stayed on top until Jan last year are playing so poor this year...I wish we had gone for a DM than RONALDO.

I think he might be feeling bit intimated by Ronaldo/Bruno two power houses

Poor Coaching Staff..........so many unhappy players ---Scared to upset players , THIS is the main problem at UTD for now I guess

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Honestly is his legacy(apparently the squad he's leaving) really all that? Maguire most expensive defender in history. Wan Bissaka limited. Sancho, yet to hit the ground running. Cavani and Ronaldo are pretty ancient. No quality midfielder.

Okey

A good, decent man. United legend as a player. A poor manager sadly. Might be the worst coach in the league. Did a very good job of steadying our ship post-Mourinho. Bafflingly been kept on way too long now. I can't decide whether we're going round in circles or backwards. Please put him out of his misery.

Regalia

There is no legacy worth talking about. The only thing he was good for was bringing back some positivity right at the start, after Mourinho's sacking. Though any decent manager could have done that considering how toxic it was then. His buys? The only success has been Bruno. The others are nothing special. Might even go so far as to say a better manager would have gotten a whole lot more out of half a billion dollars in 3 years.

All he has is a house of cards he built from hiding behind some tremendous luck and selling snake oil to the United fans. Always someone I will have time for as a Man Utd player, but as a manager he means little to me. Worst manager after SAF by far, just from the sheer fact that nostalgia and romanticism for an unqualified ex-player turned manager delayed proper progress for so many years.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If he doesn't resign and waits for his sack payoff, then he's shredded it.
Would you resign if you knew there's a life changing payoff?

I don't blame him for that. It's the owners that gave him this stupid contract so they should fire him and pay.

Flytan

The longer he stays the worse he becomes. You don't get to spend as much money as he has with no success without being considered one of the worst to ever do it

Sviken

Steadied the ship
Got rid of some rotten apples
Brought in some good players
Not good enough as a coach
Kept on a year too long
What fecking ship has he steadied? We're right where Mourinho left us. 500 million for what? Being in the same position we were 3 years ago, still unable to even reach Jose's best season?

Laurencio

Honestly it is not Ole's job to replace himself. He can't be blamed for trying his best to do the job he's been asked to do. It doesn't matter that it's not working, he is doing his best to manage the club he loves, I don't think anyone could dispute that. It is the board who are tasked with finding a new manager and replacing the current one, they are the ones who are failing to do their jobs, not Ole. (Well, in this particular area that is)

They are also very callous in their approach to this, talking about "protecting Ole", all they are really doing is protecting their bottom line from having to put a mountain of cash on the table for Zidane or similar, and avoiding to pay out the severance package they would owe the managerial staff.

Direct your anger where it belongs, this is a failure of management much higher up than Ole, one we have seen continously since Fergie retired and Gill left.

Revan

Assumptionman
It all depends on the next man
Nope, I don’t buy it. If the next manager succeeds, it is because he would be good and up for the task. Ole’s legacy is the period from he was hired till he gets sacked. Not what comes after that.

I was never a big fan of weirdos who were giving LVG credit for Bayern (and some even more weirdos, for Barca’s) success that happened after he was fired. Same here.

OleGunnar20

Stabilised the club and laid a very good foundation for the future after the shambles post-Fergie. If he leaves soon, his time will be looked at slightly positively - especially if the next manager does great things with this squad.
Agreed. But he needs to go very soon or this will turn quick I feel.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Are you lot all under 15? fecking he'll.

Firstly, as a player the guy scored a treble winning injury time goal (leaving aside everything else he did as a player) he's a Utd legend.

As a manager, I think he's done, but, he came into a completely toxic environment and got it back to something resembling what this club should look like.

I think it's time for him to move on, but my biggest worry is that we go back to the thinking that saw us appoint the likes of LVG or Mourinho, who thought the club should align to their philosophy rather than they align with ours.

Worst Utd manager ever? Maybe if you're 15.

Son

SAF lost 1-6 at home against City. It can happen. But Moyes was a far worse manager.
Disagree with this tbh. Give Moyes this squad and players not openly rebelling I’m pretty sure he’s a better coach than Ole will ever be. Moyes has actually proved it too at other places before and since.

arthurka

His legacy is that he is starting to look like he has been penetrated by the ghosts of past successes. Grey and gloomy I tell you.

Irwin99

Steadied the ship to some extent but he's been a bit lucky to survive at times and I was genuinely shocked at the first four or five months during his first full season. He did enormously well to get third after such a miserable start and the Bruno signing really turned things around but I think we only broke into the top 4 in the last two games of the season and finished with 66 points.

Second season was much better after another slow start where he could easily have been sacked again (the Everton match was a big turning point). Went on a fantastic run and had a good Premier League finish which was let down by a dismal Europa League final.

Third season has seen yet another slow start. It's not over yet and he could still turn it around but I feel we've just seen it all before at this point. He'll leave a better squad than he inherited but one with some serious holes in it still (Right back, midfield and possibly centre forward).

RazorOz

His performance as a manager won't remotely affect how he is remembered as a player.

U.N.C.L.E

He’s not the worst, that’s still Tommy Docherty who got us relegated, but even Dochs still won an FA Cup - over Liverpool no less.

Ole is damned close in my eyes though to eclipsing that legacy due to a lack of major honours. It’s just not The United Way.