Solskjaer's Press Conference - West Brom

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It’s just getting ridiculous now.
He doesn’t need to justify our away form. No one is interested in finding out why we are winning away. People don’t need to justify their wins.
However he was asked to justify the home form and came up with something. Should he have just kept quite and ignored the question? He was also not asked about other clubs’ home form. Can’t believe people have issues that he answered a question and gave what he thought was a reasonable answer.

AFC NimbleThumb

Our.

Playing in front of empty seats at home has to feel a bit off, moreso in a larger ground, so I'd argue it's a bigger leveller at OT than at, say, Craven Cottage.
Valid.

But the difference isn’t quantifiable & to use your Craven Cottage analogy; the value of the Manchester United squad in opposition to a Fulham is a leveller of its own. It’s a steep slope of sh*te going down this road.

Home games are an advantage but currently no team is benefiting from a 12th man so he honestly has more immediate concerns to handle.

Having been at OT when Spurs beat us 3-0 a few seasons back OgS, Maguire & Co. are lucky 70k+ weren’t there for the 6-1 shower.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Our.

Playing in front of empty seats at home has to feel a bit off, moreso in a larger ground, so I'd argue it's a bigger leveller at OT than at, say, Craven Cottage.
Our, sorry. I don’t think so. Larger stadiums doesn’t necessarily mean louder. You could hear a cough at some the home matches at Old Trafford.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Valid.

But the difference isn’t quantifiable & to use your Craven Cottage analogy; the value of the Manchester United squad in opposition to a Fulham is a leveller of its own. It’s a steep slope of sh*te going down this road.

Home games are an advantage but currently no team is benefiting from a 12th man so he honestly has more immediate concerns to handle.

Having been at OT when Spurs beat us 3-0 a few seasons back OgS, Maguire & Co. are lucky 70k+ weren’t there for the 6-1 shower.
Equally valid but Fulham isn't subject to the same inflated transfer fees as United. Sure, Donny van de Beek is an outlier but for the most part we pay way over the odds for players because we have lots of money and selling clubs know this, so notions of squad value need to be taken not at face value but with a pinch of salt. Yes, our players are better (mostly) but it has to feel very different playing at an empty OT versus almost anywhere else in the league.

Dr. Dwayne

Our, sorry. I don’t think so. Larger stadiums doesn’t necessarily mean louder. You could hear a cough at some the home matches at Old Trafford.
No, you misunderstand. It's the ambience of the empty stadium that might negatively impact a club like United more than a club like Fulham or Burnley.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Valid.

He was asked a question and he gave an answer. What would be an acceptable response to you that you wouldn't use as another stick to beat him with?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I honestly don't know what people want him to say instead? We've had a poor run of home form. I would be surprised if he has any other explanation for it, he probably has no idea himself. I can see how you would know why we lost individual games but the reasons for this are far less clear, even for the manager.
true although most of us (I’m assuming) would like an explicit acknowledgement from Ole about just how inconsistent performances have been and the need to get back to claiming authoritative home wins. By referring to the absence of fans he seems to have somewhat absolved those playing poorly.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No, you misunderstand. It's the ambience of the empty stadium that might negatively impact a club like United more than a club like Fulham or Burnley.
Yeah but a loud stadium also effects the visiting team, maybe even more.
A loud stadium with noisy fans is a morale boost to the home team but mainly has a negative effect on the visiting team.
Old trafford unfortunately is generally quite in most of the home games compared to some of the other smaller grounds.

Okey

Sigh...the whole presser is being distilled to his comments about home fans?! Not to worry, we'll spank WBA properly tonight, then maybe people can leave this non issue alone.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Point flew way over your head.

Yes his job is with Manchester United, well done for stating the obvious.

Using fans as an excuse/reason when we lose at home but making no mention when win away renders the point useless.

But as his job is United I guess fans only affect us & not the opposition :rolleyes:

It’s time for him to move on & get results.
Show me where he once has blamed a loss on fans being missing. Show me where he says it's a United only problem.

Red_toad

When we win away does he come to the defence of the opposition saying how much they missed their fans. . .

It’s just a nonsense bone he’s refusing to let go of; we shouldn’t be without a win at home at this stage of the season - I don’t care if it’s in front of one man & his dog or 70k+.
Its simply down to the ability of our coaching staff and/or players. Having no fans (IMO) helps teams score more goals, as there’s less pressure, as in fans screaming at them to miss and trying to distract them. We struggle at home as the emphasis is on us to attack as we’re not a well drilled attacking unit. We’re very much a counter attacking team.

big rons sovereign

Whoopee, another thread being used to twist every word the manager says into negative claptrap.

They're a good side = waaah, he's getting excuses ready, sack him.

We're missing the fans = waaah, it's an excuse, we're shit, everybody is great, he's clueless, sack him.

We played well today = waaah, we only scored 5, it's papering over the cracks, we're still shit, Sack him.

We didn't play well today = waaah, he's too negative, the players are sensitive, he's shit, we should be trouncing everybody, sack him.

Complains about busy schedule putting players at risk = waaah, they get paid loads, it's an excuse, he's shit, they're shit, how come klopp is so wonderful, waaaah, waaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaahh....sack him.

Or at least, that's how it seems lately.
Where's the love people?

Reactions: jojojo

meamth

Whoopee, another thread being used to twist every word the manager says into negative claptrap.

We're missing the fans = waaah, it's an excuse, we're shit, everybody is great, he's clueless, sack him.

We played well today = waaah, we only scored 5, it's papering over the cracks, we're still shit, Sack him.

We didn't play well today = waaah, he's too negative, the players are sensitive, he's shit, we should be trouncing everybody, sack him.

Complains about busy schedule putting players at risk = waaah, they get paid loads, it's an excuse, he's shit, they're shit, how come klopp is so wonderful, waaaah, waaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaahh....sack him.

Where's the love people?
When we had Mourinho, caf whining about his arrogant vibe.
When we had LVG, caf whining about his eccentric.

Unless we won a trophy, a manager/team/player can never be considered okay. We just have to bear this until we won something.... :nervous:

RashyForPM

How is he meant to explain why we have been nothing short of Bayern level away but also nothing short of Fulham level at home this season? He can’t go into his tactics, oppo tactics and more footballing causations as to why this is the case to the whole world can he, or more people will know how to beat us and he’ll look like an idiot.

Some of you take the Ole bashing too far. What is he actually supposed to say aside from the obvious fan point. What would you say? Sounds like some of you just hate a club legend.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Where's the love people?
:lol: :lol:
the best post in this train wreck thread.

You should also repost it in the Ole IN/Out thread at an appropriate time as it deserves a much wider audience!

Last edited:

imamuppet

Where's the love people?
Thanks for responding on the behalf of all Manchester United fans who are not emotionally disturbed

tenpoless

I get the impact that the fans could give by providing a moral support but to score a goal?

the last time i saw a guy running naked on the football field during a match, the police were after him.

Morpheus 7

It was a terrible answer, I don't buy the look at our away record either. It's clearly a mindset and mentality issue. Players should be focused and are clearly not, to comfortable going in to games at OT. The lack of travel should be an advantage alone.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
He should've said its easier for us playing away because teams come at us more leaving space behind for us to score. And we are a counter attacking side.

Last edited:

bludsucker

Moaners are out in full force it seems. Seems like ole can’t say anything without triggering some bunch of babies or adults acting like 5 year old spoilt brats.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What's the right answer?
A very simple "In the absense of fans, we have to create our own energy and play well enough to win'' would do the trick.

Liverpool have come from behind 3 times this season to win at an empty Anfield. An empty Anfield hasn't proved problematic for them.

Flexdegea

Didnt take this discussion long escalating into Ole bashing.

Literally the most trivial stuff he is getting barrels :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He really should stop with this shit right now because it is so embarrassing :houllier:
His reasoning might hold water if playing behind closed doors was unique to United, but that's not the case, every club in the league is in the same boat. He really should know better than to come out with stuff like this, especially at a time when the press are looking to jump on anything he says.

Bad form Ole.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A very simple "In the absense of fans, we have to create our own energy and play well enough to win'' would do the trick.

Liverpool have come from behind 3 times this season to win at an empty Anfield. An empty Anfield hasn't proved problematic for them.
That's conclusive then because Liverpool did it against Sheff Utd and West Ham.

alexthelion

Where's the love people?
How true.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Jesus Christ, is there anything the Ole-outers won't make into an issue to attack him with?
Nope. It is so tiring because we all know Ole is here for the rest of the season unless the bottom just falls out and we lose a bunch of matches. That's unlikely going to happen so why not just support the club? If we are 8th or lower in March and the season is a bust, then your comments might make more sense. Now you just sound like silly little children pretending to be experts.

AFC NimbleThumb

He was asked a question and he gave an answer. What would be an acceptable response to you that you wouldn't use as another stick to beat him with?
I don’t need a stick to beat him with; I’m a fan on an internet forum - if I don’t hold the manager in high regard it has no influence on his actual job security, something the overly impassioned on here need to come to terms with.

If I’m holding onto a ‘Stock to beat him with’ it’s our home record & league place not responses in his press conferences.

Moving on, he is asked multiple questions at press conferences; he doesn’t engage with many, if most, yet continues to give this nonsense argument more time than it merits.

When we next lose, watch him [not] answer every question directly then refer back to your nonsense about he was asked a question & gave an answer.

He’s made his point, i get it - you get it - we’ve got it; as he does when continually asked about a players form but doesn’t want to answer he can/should move on.

I’m actually not too bothered with this question/answer in isolation; i just think it’s a rather weird hill to continue dying on. We shouldn’t need the Stratford Emd to produce enough goals to muster a home victory this far into a season imo; that isn’t a stick for OgS it’s a damn opinion.

Show me where he once has blamed a loss on fans being missing. Show me where he says it's a United only problem.
Again it’s flown over your head.

He’s litterally said the Stratford End, yes fans in the crowd, “usually score a goal for us”.

If you’re looking for me to quote OgS saying what you’ve asked I can’t but can you validate his below claim as I’m yet to see a fan/stand score a goal in a game. . .

Now I don’t for a second believe that OgS thinks the fans/stadium score goals but if like you I approached the discussion in bad faith we could go down rabbit holes like this forever.

More than happy to move on as this forum is too damn partisan. I see it as an excuse, you don’t - which is fine.

Odin

Jesus Christ, is there anything the Ole-outers won't make into an issue to attack him with?
No.

OGS isn't known for questioning his players mentality and attitude in public. He seems to prefer to work on such issues within the group. He is not afraid of heaping pressure on himself by leaving journalists and fans with incomplete and measured responses.

A lot of our fans, myself included, are frustrated by our home form. The frustration over not getting immediate access to the inner workings of the club is something else. OGS doesn't satisfy your need for juicy details? Deal with it.

OGS tenency has seen performances oscillate between hopeless and fantastic. Judgement on his performance as manager likewise. It doesn't help that todays society is strongly affected by extreme polarisation. A lot of fans see past that. It would be nice with less infighting over who backed whom. But I guess it's good for the activity on the forum.

Odin

I don’t need a stick to beat him with; I’m a fan on an internet forum - if I don’t hold the manager in high regard it has no influence on his actual job security, something the overly impassioned on here need to come to terms with.

If I’m holding onto a ‘Stock to beat him with’ it’s our home record & league place not responses in his press conferences.

Moving on, he is asked multiple questions at press conferences; he doesn’t engage with many, if most, yet continues to give this nonsense argument more time than it merits.

When we next lose, watch him [not] answer every question directly then refer back to your nonsense about he was asked a question & gave an answer.

He’s made his point, i get it - you get it - we’ve got it; as he does when continually asked about a players form but doesn’t want to answer he can/should move on.

I’m actually not too bothered with this question/answer in isolation; i just think it’s a rather weird hill to continue dying on. We shouldn’t need the Stratford Emd to produce enough goals to muster a home victory this far into a season imo; that isn’t a stick for OgS it’s a damn opinion.

He’s litterally said the Stratford End, yes fans in the crowd, “usually score a goal for us”.

If you’re looking for me to quote OgS saying what you’ve asked I can’t but can you validate his below claim as I’m yet to see a fan/stand score a goal in a game. . .

Now I don’t for a second believe that OgS thinks the fans/stadium score goals but if like you I approached the discussion in bad faith we could go down rabbit holes like this forever.

More than happy to move on as this forum is too damn partisan. I see it as an excuse, you don’t - which is fine.
I would hope the fans at Stretford End enjoy the fact that their effort matters? And that the club appreciates this? And that this is seen in conjecture with plans to get fans back in stadiums as soon as possible (albeit in reduced, reasonable numbers)?

Zen86

Some people obviously have far too much time on their hands to be nitpicking through every f***ing word our manager says. Who cares.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've been trying to find a quote I came across some weeks ago - from a player who actually said something very much like what you suggest there. Can't find it, though - maybe I dreamt it. But it does make some sense on the face of it. The larger the stadium, the more disturbing the silence/emptiness. Doubt it can be proven scientifically but - yeah, it seems intuitively right (enough).

ETA For what it's worth, the quote was not made in direct connection with the Covid-19 situation (it was an older quote).

youngrell

Perhaps he’ll stop answering the question when people accept his answer. It’s not changing so why keep asking?

And no, stadiums don’t score goals but there is a reason why we try to always play towards the Stretford End in the second half.

Dr. Dwayne

Yeah but a loud stadium also effects the visiting team, maybe even more.
A loud stadium with noisy fans is a morale boost to the home team but mainly has a negative effect on the visiting team.
Old trafford unfortunately is generally quite in most of the home games compared to some of the other smaller grounds.
I feel like you still don't get what I'm saying.

We know that a full stadium with noisy fans should boost the home teams performance through increased morale.

Old Trafford, while quieter for some years, still has a mostly positive effect by the mere presence of 76,000 or so people.

Without those people, though, a very large ground will have a greater inverse effect than a smaller ground will.