Solskjaer's Press Conference - West Brom

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I feel like you still don't get what I'm saying.

We know that a full stadium with noisy fans should boost the home teams performance through increased morale.

Old Trafford, while quieter for some years, still has a mostly positive effect by the mere presence of 76,000 or so people.

Without those people, though, a very large ground will have a greater inverse effect than a smaller ground will.
You don't understand what I am saying. A loud stadium with noisy fans is a morale boost to the home team but mainly has a negative effect on the visiting team.

Where would you feel more intimidated as an away player?

In a 40.000 capacity stadium where almost everybody is making a noise singing booing standing etc
or
In a 76.000 capacity stadium where its mostly quiet, everybody is sitting down and has the atmosphere of a theatre.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Teams don't fear coming to Old Trafford these days so its wrong to say Stretford End 'usually score a goal for us'. Bottom of the barrel excuse. :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You don't understand what I am saying. A loud stadium with noisy fans is a morale boost to the home team but mainly has a negative effect on the visiting team.

In a 40.000 capacity stadium where almost everybody is making a noise singing booing standing etc
or
In a 76.000 capacity stadium where its mostly quiet, everybody is sitting down and has the atmosphere of a theatre.
No, I know that. It's understood that if one side benefits from the crowd, the other side should not benefit and in some cases find it detrimental to their performance.

As such, it's reasonable to suppose that an empty home stadium will have less of a negative impact on a visiting team, maybe even none at all.

The home team, in losing their advantage, experiences a significant negative impact compared to the visiting team.

The larger the stadium, the greater that impact and the more the traditional advantage sways in the opposite direction toward evens or beyond. Thus, a club like Manchester United, with it's very large stadium could be more impacted by the lack of fans than teams who have smaller home grounds.

Our away form this season appears to confirm this as the home teams we've beaten have not gained a crowd based advantage and we've not suffered a crowd based disadvantage, allowing our quality to be the primary factor in determining the outcome.

For the notion to apply to our home form we may need to consider the additional boost visiting players seem to get from playing against United at Old Trafford, a career highlight for many due to our reputation, but I hate to get into that because it's a weird phenomenon that seems oddly specific to United and no one else (ie Bayern, Real, etc), even if it's been going on for the last 10 years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Again it’s flown over your head.

He’s litterally said the Stratford End, yes fans in the crowd, “usually score a goal for us”.

If you’re looking for me to quote OgS saying what you’ve asked I can’t but can you validate his below claim as I’m yet to see a fan/stand score a goal in a game. . .

Now I don’t for a second believe that OgS thinks the fans/stadium score goals but if like you I approached the discussion in bad faith we could go down rabbit holes like this forever.

More than happy to move on as this forum is too damn partisan. I see it as an excuse, you don’t - which is fine.
Christ what a joke. You're only hear to shit on Ole and you accuse me of approaching this in bad faith. I'm only calling you out on your bullshit which you are not backtracking with because you know you're wrong. The only rabbit hole here is continue to converse with you because you're adamant in your opinion and anything that doesn't correlate with it in some way is wrong. If you properly read the press conference answers you would see that he's not making excuses, saying that every game is different whether it's home or away and the best performance has been at home.

The Stretford End comment was clearly a comment meant to praise the fans, something every manager with a brain does. The fact that you're taking it literally, I have no words.

UnofficialDevil

No, I know that. It's understood that if one side benefits from the crowd, the other side should not benefit and in some cases find it detrimental to their performance.

As such, it's reasonable to suppose that an empty home stadium will have less of a negative impact on a visiting team, maybe even none at all.

The home team, in losing their advantage, experiences a significant negative impact compared to the visiting team.

The larger the stadium, the greater that impact and the more the traditional advantage sways in the opposite direction toward evens or beyond. Thus, a club like Manchester United, with it's very large stadium could be more impacted by the lack of fans than teams who have smaller home grounds.

Our away form this season appears to confirm this as the home teams we've beaten have not gained a crowd based advantage and we've not suffered a crowd based disadvantage, allowing our quality to be the primary factor in determining the outcome.

For the notion to apply to our home form we may need to consider the additional boost visiting players seem to get from playing against United at Old Trafford, a career highlight for many due to our reputation, but I hate to get into that because it's a weird phenomenon that seems oddly specific to United and no one else (ie Bayern, Real, etc), even if it's been going on for the last 10 years.
This is getting too complicated for me now! :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I would guess (not being a professional footballer) that the level of actual intimidation felt by away players is mostly determined by how good the opposition is. Or more precisely, how good you (and your manager) expect them to be.

The idea that footballers fear the crowd at certain stadiums is - I suspect - largely a myth. And more so today than in the past.

If away players trembled in their shorts when coming out at Old Trafford back in the day (when we were one of the best teams in the world), that was mostly due to the fact that we were...erm, one of the best teams in the world.

The infamously hostile atmosphere at - say - Millwall never did them much good in terms of actual results, did it?

UnofficialDevil

I would guess (not being a professional footballer) that the level of actual intimidation felt by away players is mostly determined by how good the opposition is. Or more precisely, how good you (and your manager) expect them to be.

The idea that footballers fear the crowd at certain stadiums is - I suspect - largely a myth. And more so today than in the past.

If away players trembled in their shorts when coming out at Old Trafford back in the day (when we were one of the best teams in the world), that was mostly due to the fact that we were...erm, one of the best teams in the world.

The infamously hostile atmosphere at - say - Millwall never did them much good in terms of actual results, did it?
True. So Millwall's crowd didn't help them get results at home. In which case Ole comments about the Stretford end scoring a goal for us is rubbish.

hobbers

Old Trafford is less of an advantage to United than most of the other stadiums in the league to their respective teams.

Certainly has proved to be that way since Fergie left anyway.