Solutions for DM if we don’t sign a new player

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I don't think double pivot works- it involves sharing defensive and ball-sharing responsibilities among the 2. The players we have apart from Matic are not capable in the former to the extent we can play in a midfield 2 with stability

Case 1: This would be optimal but I don't trust Matic any more with defensive duties. McT has upped his ball distribution to the point he can be a regular this season. It'll free Pogba to roam and be the fulcrum of the creative play.

McT - Matic
Pogba

Case 2: McT isn't a 6; he's more of a 8 and likes to go forward a times. Fred likes to dribble his way out of tight spaces and again, isn't a defensive mid. This is the most unbalanced I believe but if Fred and McT can both show good positional awareness/defensive nous (along with Pogba tracking back) - this can work

McT - Fred
Pogba

Case 3: Both are B2B in my opinion, will require sacrifices to play like this. When McT goes forward, Pogba has to stay back or the 10 has to drop back.

McT - Pogba
Bruno?

Case 4: Riskiest one by far. Both not great defensively and most importantly tend to roam and get involved higher up.

Fred - Pogba
Bruno?

Case 5: If Fred find his feet - this can be tried as an option. A potentially great combo with Matic on defensive duties and Fred moving the ball forward.

Fred - Matic
Pogba

Also I think - Maguire's ability to bring the ball out from the back helps our cause.

meamth

Don't think we need a CDM once Maguire starts to perform. He can link up play to the midfielders and forwards himself.

So a midfield two could work this time, my preferred choice would be Pogba - Mctominay with an AM.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Play a double pivot of McT and Fred. It seems Old is trying to make us build up from the back, this will give the defence two passing options in the DM positions.
Secondly, both are good ball carriers, if Fred drives forward McT can hold and vice versa , this will lessen the burden on the number 10 dropping deep trying to build attack.
I heard Fred best performances for Sharhktar Donetsk was in the double pivot ,I read that that was why Mourinho signed him.
I would rather play Garner than Matic, he's done.

Infra-red

Matic is the only one we have and will play pretty much every game next season unless we sign a new one.

Herrera was capable of doing a job there, but we have decided to let him leave without replacing him.

K13

Fred would be better than Matic at this stage. Fred is more mobile and a quicker passer. Alright he looks liable to lose the ball sometimes in dangerous areas but Matic also looks to have that in him now. Longstaff would be nice but can’t see it now.
Fred is a really good player but I feel that when things are a bit tight/congested he plays safe. Just my opinion but I feel Matic plays the ball forward in the same situation where Fred would opt to go back.

Bestietom

Keane and scholes never needed a DM?
We played a 4-4-2 then,had top CB's, and wingers who you could just loft the ball out to. Keane covered every blade of grass on the field, back and forward. The kind of player we could do with now. As for Scholesy, he was just magic at controlling games.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Anybody who suggests Fred/Pogba partnership needs to check the dispossesed/lost possession stats for those two and do some simple math.

RkkMan

Matic is the only one we have and will play pretty much every game next season unless we sign a new one.

Herrera was capable of doing a job there, but we have decided to let him leave without replacing him.
Willing to bet my money he won't be a regular starter this season

Devil may care

The only solution is to buy a top class DM, big clubs like United shouldn't be shoehorning players into roles that they aren't used to in the hope of getting away with not handling business.

Foxbatt

If we do not get a DM, I am sure Victor would not be any worse than Matic. At least he can run, he can pass too and does not take ages to make a pass. Fred is not a DM. Is Garner any better than Matic? I think in the PL there are plenty of players who are better than Matic as a DM