Some much needed perspective on the United and City squads

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Without city mourinho is doing a marvelous job pts wise. With city he's doing a shit job, - 15 pts in December.

Therein lies the problem. The yard stick moves instead of static.

Mourinho don't have room to risk style over substances, many people claim they'd tolerate a bad finish if it means attacking football, but when the push comes to the shove i doubt they won't be calling for his head. Mourinho ticks all the objectives from the board (top 3 finish? Qf champion league? Good showing in cup runs? Progress over last season?).

Does he merits our patience? He does. For if he doesn't we will have to sack most manager unless they do a city (which is unreasonable)

Does he earnt our patience? Yes he does. Objectively speaking he delivers trophies in history first year, and in 2nd position by christmas.

Would we find anyone better? Probably. But it's not guaranteed. The odds of finding the next saf is 1/100. And at best for pochetino (or whoever the next manager) to be better than mourinho is 50/50 at best.
There's absolutely nothing i disagree with in your post. I mentioned in another thread that, if he manages to make this squad earn a tally of 85+ points (which is usually what makes you a title contender in England), his season will be a success as far as i'm concerned.

I don't want him gone, i would not prefer to have Klopp here instead of him and i would not trade him for someone like Tuchel atm. And i certainly don't mind him spending more money in order to improve the first team.

But after two summer transfer windows, we can't blame it all on the squad he inherited and Pep's headstart over him. It's his decision to have these players. In this very thread, people mention that players like Mata, Herrera and Fellaini are just above average footballers who were forced upon Mourinho. Well, he's been full of praise about Fellaini, Herrera is the first one who comes on when one of Matic-Pogba isn't available and Mata begins as a first-teamer for a second season in a row under him. Plus some of his signings, like Bailly-Lindelof and Mkhitaryan, haven't made any kind of significant difference (i agree they should be given more time) to the first team. That's why i said that some introspection is required on his behalf.

My biggest concern is that there's a lot of pressure on him by the fans to produce better football displays and a lot of venom from the press now that City are flying. It will eventually start to wear him down and, as i said, the quality of Guardiola's football he'll not be able to match. But he'll want to win the PL at any cost. If what he asks is money to buy several players like Bale and Ozil (near or over their 30s), so that he can win a title and then search for greener pastures elsewhere, then i'm not sure i agree with granting him unlimited funds.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Regarding our squad the view was that we have the best goal keeper in the world. Valencia and Bailly were two of the best in their positions. Rojo was terrific. Jones was finally coming of age. Matic and Pogba would form the best midfield partnership in the league & in Lukaku we were getting a proven PL striker. We had weakness in our squad but those related to the LB and RW positions.
At the start of the season, Rojo wasn't expected back for months. Valencia wasn't expected to have much longer as a regular. People were dubious about why Chelsea would sell us Matic, unless Matic was injured/passed it. And Lukaku was getting a mixed reception, with people questioning his attitude and his skills. Jones remains injury prone, and as a result, still a relative novice, despite it seeming like he's been around for years.

I'm always optimistic about our players and our team, and I hate posters pre-judging new arrivals and young players in particular. But there is a difference between us as fans looking on the bright side and what's actually possible. When it comes to young players, a season can make a huge difference, same with the ones over 30 - we hope that young opponents won't mature and the old ones will fade fast - we hope our own youngsters will become consistently good and that we can get another good year out of the old ones.

So, back to the players you mention. Rojo is still in the recovery phase with his ACL. Bailly had been injured for most of the season. Matic has had to play too many games - injuries to Pogba, Fellaini, Carrick, poor form from Herrera - the freshness and command we saw in Matic's early games has gone. Valencia is having a decent season, but remains a player who will need replacement sooner rather than later.

We're supporters - supporting is in the job description, even if that means hoping for the best, rather than assuming our players will get injured, or need more time to grow up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We have same players from last season with Lukaku replacing Zlatan, tbh this season our performances are much better than last.

I'm not big fan of Jose even though I try to stay positive all the time but like you said he has his positives. He has his negatives too, like you have already addressed.
There's more than that. Matic, Martial, Lingard, Jones and Young are all improvements from an individual standpoint, Lukaku isn't an improvement on last season's Ibrahimovic though, I mentioned defensive players because a solid defense brings confidence and freedom to the midfielders and attackers. That's where the money talks are overstated and overvalued, a manager like Mourinho can and should improve the team and the players without spending much in the transfer market, that's what separates managers. Transfers are supposed to completely change the face of an underperforming team or keep them at a certain level of performance, in our case it is the former that we are trying to achieve.
So when we judge a manager, we need to look at what he does with the players at his disposal even what some fans foolishly call deadwood and what he does when he brings players from the outside. For the moment we can say that Mourinho did a good job with a handful of players who improved their individual performances since last season, he is doing an average or below average job when it comes to the collective side of things and an average job at purchasing players. If he improves on the two average points, we will have a top team rather sooner than later.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is all well and good, but the gap with City is much bigger than everyone thought before the season started. A lot of people thought United had the best or close to the best squad in the league and even though 2nd place is fine, it's nowhere near close to City at the moment.

Why didn't Mourinho say he couldn't compete with City in the summer? City just clicked completely this summer and I may be wrong, but City have been rich for a while now and I've never seen them this good. It's not ALL about the money, United have plenty too. Lukaku and Pogba were 180 million for God's sake. You don't need more than that to blow away most teams in the league do you?
The Premier League has 20 teams. When chasing a team like City, you'd expect other teams to help you gain ground on them by nicking a point from them here and there. That's happened in almost every PL season that's gone by. Teams always drop point. However, only one team has managed to do this and they were extremely fortunate in doing so. Yes, we haven't done ourselves too many favours by dropping point recently but you don't expect a team to win 19 out of their 20 games.

What City are doing is insane, if I'm being honest. They don't look like they can be stopped and the only way we could have matched them is by... winning every game, too.

arthurka

We are a club without direction and have been since Fergie left. The players we bought have been all over the place and mostly not up to the task in hand and for me it´s clear that we are buying fewer and "better" players than the years before.

Under Mourinho we have bought 7 players for 321m (net spend 271m)
Under LVG we bought 12 players for 261m (net spend 146m)
Under Moyes we bought 2 players for 65m

So since 2013 we have bought 21 players for 647m or a net spend of 482m or 96,4m/season net if you count this season as well.

From these 21 players we are currently using Romero,Martial,Rojo,Bailly,Lukaku,Matic,Zlatan,Pogba,Herrera,Fellaini,Mata (Mhiki-Lindelöf?).. 11 players of 21 and 5 are bought under Mourinho and 2 bought under Moyes so that leaves us 4 players of 21 players LVG bought that we are using. It´s clear to see that the LVG tenure really messed us up badly, players that came were no better than the players he sold and in many cases worse.

While we were doing this City had guys in their club structuring and shaping it. The players they bought were top players and players that had huge potential and since Pep came he got rid of the deadwood and brought in top players to replace them. Even their fringe players are much better than what we got Bernando Silva and Gundogan will never be thought of as fringe players and would walk into our team any day of the week.

This has nothing to do with not spending money it has everything to do with spending it wisely and that we have not done. We need to modernize and bring in people who can shape the club and structure it going forward in terms of transfers and infrastructure. Woodward has to stop letting managers do what they want and focus on what the club needs. We cannot continue to replace managers with new managers just because something might change because we have no clue if it´s for better or worse.

Dinghy

At the start of the season Mourinho said he needed one more window to challenge for the title. Is it his fault you didn't believe him? Are you a better judge of talent than a man that's won 25 trophies over 17 years of top-flight football? I wish I could be so arrogant. ;)
When and where did he say this?

Lentwood

Sensible thread. Another point I would like to highlight;

I was listening to the weekly Pep wankathon which passes for Sky Sports expert punditry these days and kept hearing over and over how Pep has improved Sterling.

Now granted this might be true, however they talk as if Sterling was some kind of cast off. They paid £50m for the lad who at the time was probably THE hottest young talent in English football having just almost fired Liverpool to the title alongside Suarez

Also, when Sterling goes into the England side, I don’t see any improvement.

Pep has found a role for Sterling in a good well oiled machine. Fair play. But we are in danger of going overboard again. Everything has to be fantastic or crap in modern football never any middle-ground.

Jose is only around halfway through his Utd project. Let’s see how Martial plays in a really good United side surrounded by pace and talent in all positions, not just sporadically dotted around the side

Kostov

The data may be useful. Or not. Much depends on what one wants to do with them. My point wasn't that Arsenal were the best team between 14-16. They were more consistent in their results over two seasons though. Generally the results in the league are a more reliable criterion of the state of the squads than the results in the cups. Because luck plays a bigger role in the cups.

The data cited above show that no team was head and shoulders above the rest of the league when Jose, Conte and Guardiola took over in 2016. The notion that United were far behind the top teams is nonsense. City finished on the same points as LVG's United in 2016 and had only 9 pts more in 2015. 9 pts over 76 games is nothing substantial. Spurs finished on just 4 pts more than United in 2016 and Liverpool were worse. The improvement in the league in relation to Spurs and Liverpool hasn't been big, has it? In May 2016 the difference between United and Liverpool was 6 pts. Now, at the end of 2017, it is 5 pts. The difference with City in May 2016 was 0 pts. Now it is 15 pts.

Last season was bad in the league. Compared to it, there is an improvement in the results - 4 pts better than last season. 4 pts are not a huge improvement by any means. Compared to how other top teams have evolved over the last 18 months, the improvement doesn't look very impressive. Still, there has been an improvement in the results of the team. For the first time since Fergie, the team is on course to 80+ pts. The task is to maintain that form till the end of the season. Or even improve on it. But it won't be easy.
You don't need any stat to see the difference before Jose arrived and now. We were abysmal, feck the stats. I dreaded watching LVG's football that you back with those same numbers. The results in the league are generally more reliable, but not in this case.

If you don't think teams that consist of De Bruyne/Aguero/Silva and Hazard/Costa/Willian are head and shoulders over Rooney/Mata/Martial/Rashford that's on you buddy. City finishing level on points with us in 2016 has very little to do with the quality one team had over the other. We scored 49 goals that season, remember that, 49 fecking goals in 38 games, City scored 71. And don't forget that same Liverpool team you mention trashed us in the Europa, despite changing manager in the middle of the season.

We have improved massively, City's form throws mud on all that and people fast forget how pathetic we were before Jose. I'm not saying I like everything Jose has done, but people need a reality check. We were never winning the league this season, City running away with 19 wins in 20 is another thing, this United team being second up till now and infront of the rest of the league is a mark of improvement.

Treble

You don't need any stat to see the difference before Jose arrived and now. We were abysmal, feck the stats. I dreaded watching LVG's football that you back with those same numbers. The results in the league are generally more reliable, but not in this case.

If you don't think teams that consist of De Bruyne/Aguero/Silva and Hazard/Costa/Willian are head and shoulders over Rooney/Mata/Martial/Rashford that's on you buddy. City finishing level on points with us in 2016 has very little to do with the quality one team had over the other. We scored 49 goals that season, remember that, 49 fecking goals in 38 games, City scored 71. And don't forget that same Liverpool team you mention trashed us in the Europa, despite changing manager in the middle of the season.

We have improved massively, City's form throws mud on all that and people fast forget how pathetic we were before Jose. I'm not saying I like everything Jose has done, but people need a reality check. We were never winning the league this season, City running away with 19 wins in 20 is another thing, this United team being second up till now and infront of the rest of the league is a mark of improvement.
Ok mate, maybe you are right.

quethenoo

We started the season with a flyer nobody was moaning then but since we have turned predictable and are dropping too many points. We are 6th in the current form tables(over the last 6 matches Home and Away) with a goal difference of +3 worse than anyone above us and are 7th in the home fixture current form league(over 4 home fixtures) with a goal difference of just +1 worse than anyone above us again. http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england

Add to this we went out of the league cup to a Championship side. One of the only competitions we had a chance of winning this season. That takes the run of form from 3 wins in 6 to 3 wins in 7.

Now this period may be a blip and once the calendar gets back to normal we may start winning well again but people are right to be concerned because if this form is not a blip we will not finish top 4 never mind challenge for the league.

The reason people are concerned is because we have seen it so many times since SAF has left. Were we start the season well then drop off and never regain the form we had. I hope this is not the case but I seriously have a dreaded feeling of déjà vu.
We really should have won our last two games, or least the Leicester game, so that skews the recent form bit. I understand the concerns but am confident of top 4 personally.

LungiDevil

City are on pace to gather 110 points if they continue the same form. Out of 114.

What we've seen this first half of the season is insane for any squad, IMO. Not even the 2009-15 Barcelona team at its peak in a 2 horse La Liga had such a total at the end of the year. I think 100 is the best they managed. This city team, in my not so expert opinion, does not have the same quality of players as that team did.

Assuming our squad will be around the 85 point mark this year, we have made clear progress. While we should still not give up and fight for the league this year, the key focus should be to identify improvements to the squad so we can comfortably breach 90 and get closer to 95 points next year (a total which IMO would win the league 4/5 times in PL).

We can discuss all about the money spent and cherry pick examples of success/failure in transfers, but two summer windows are not enough to go from 66 to 100 points. Last year was an anomaly because we didn't focus on the league, but we were on target for high 70s. This year we've improved further. Remember we were at 66 points the year Leicester won the league. They had 80. With Pep's city the benchmark for future may be higher, but I don't think it will be 100 forever.

Continuity can be underrated often. It is key that Mourinho has (and he wants to as well) a chance build on this and we don't go back to square one with a new manager and start another cycle of squad rebuilding.

MrSingh2002

Jose is still continuing LVGs work of overhauling the squad while also undoing some of the damage done by LVG and his average signings such as Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Blind and Darmian.

Jose is accountable for buying Lindelof and a 35 year old striker that needs replacing and Lukaku who for £75m still wasn't the perfect signing for us. Mkhitaryan is another one that could be viewed as a failure as he's failed to cement a regular place as a number 10 or a goalscoring winger.

Bailly, Pogba and Matic have proven incredible signings and when fit they fill 3 out of 11 starting berths so every penny spent on them can be considered well spent.

I believed at the beginning of the season that we would finish 2nd and City would have too much with their new world class signings in Mendy and Ederson plus other very good talents in Bernardo Silva, Walker and Danilo.

Ultimately given Jose's style of trusting top players to deliver week after week without a rigid template or formation to work from I don't believe winning the league was a guarantee vs City and their complete squad. I do believe however that if this January/Summer we sign a world class fullback, central midfielder who can be able cover for Pogba/Matic when they're out and one proven goalscoring winger we can take City on in a shootout next season.

What's deflating us all is that we'll never know how our season would have panned out if we'd gone to Anfield all out to win and not park the bus. It felt as though that tactic took the wind out of our players sails too.

Next season with 3 more world class players and possibly our young players having another years experience we could win the league.

Bring in a fullback to replace Darmian and Blind, bring in Milinkovic-Savic and Griezmann and job done.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw/New LB
Milinkovic-Savic Matic Pogba
Greizmann Lukaku Martial
That team with Jose managing can win the league.

An Irish Red

They had a shambolic defence but they also had elite attacking talents like De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero and Sterling. We had a solid defence and practically nothing but Martial up front.

It's a lot easier to build a solid defence than it is to build an elite attack. That's the biggest difference.

Bobski

City are a wonderful excuse.

I wonder if we continue as we are if there if will be threads in a month telling us how Utd could not possibly be expected to compete with Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now granted this might be true, however they talk as if Sterling was some kind of cast off. They paid £50m for the lad who at the time was probably THE hottest young talent in English football having just almost fired Liverpool to the title alongside Suarez
Such is people's obsession with the "latest", most recent" transfers, people easily forget this!
It's a great point.
This isn't some youth teamer who was sh!t, and now is excellent, this is a £50m winger, when that was still a shocking amount of money!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You know.. Maybe.. Just maybe.. This is a good year for them, that's all. We've had it, Chelsea has it, arsenal had it in the past, even Leicester, leeds, hotspur has em.

2009 the all conquering barcelona sides dubed to be the best in the world and ever loses the title next season to madrid. Everyone and their dog thinks chelsea first batch will dominate the epl for years to come. Inter won a treble but loses to juve eventually. Madrid won back to back cl and they're beaten in the league.

A season is long in the present but in the grand scheme of history it's just a year in a series of years.

Next season many factors would play, and the field will change again.

Just keep on doing the best, these things changes. There's no point tearing up everything and start over for what's beyond our control (city's good year is beyond our control).

Sometimes we have to know, what's wrong? Is the system wrong? Wrong sets of player? And sometimes. Just sometimes there's nothing wrong. The other part is just having their year.

I would panick if we're 5th on Jose's second year, regardless on who's 1st (be it leicester or sunderland). But we're 2nd
... and peace :)

Very good post.

haram

We've got too many underperforming players for these excuses to be valid. Shaw, Valencia, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Matic are all very good players but out of them only Matic and maybe Pogba are performing at their optimal level. Our attackers especially are having rather mediocre seasons. That is not down to their quality but more down to how they are being asked to play and that falls squarely on the manager.

No one is saying we haven't improved, but this isn't the sort of improvement I'd expect with the sort of investment that's gone on in the team. We're no better than lots of teams that don't invest nearly as much.

So what do we then do? Throw more money at the problem despite it being obvious that even the players we do sign we're not seeing the best of them? Knowing that our manager isn't the best for young players despite knowing that we have at least 3 youngsters with world class potential?
Right, and a bunch of City players were not at optimal levels for them last year either. That's my point. We are behind them in many ways, they had a head start on us.

We let the lot go on 2 areas, Midfield and a CF when we needed 2 full backs and a winger also. Now we still need to fill those areas and add another midfielder or 2 as Carrick, Fellaini, and Herrera are on the way out. We need a playmaker because Mkhitaryan or Mata are not doing it for us. So I would reckon 4/5 players still needed to catch up on City. Then we need to introduce more squad players from the academy/reserves.
Right. Imagine how much Pep would have had to spend getting in Aguero and De Bruyne the years we signed Lukaku and Pogba. Then consider if he had to sign those players if he could have signed all of his other targets at the same time. My point is we were behind in terms of our squad to begin with. That's why we are closer to where City were last year rather than closer to where they are this year.

We let the lot go on 2 areas, Midfield and a CF when we needed 2 full backs and a winger also. Now we still need to fill those areas and add another midfielder or 2 as Carrick, Fellaini, and Herrera are on the way out. We need a playmaker because Mkhitaryan or Mata are not doing it for us. So I would reckon 4/5 players still needed to catch up on City. Then we need to introduce more squad players from the academy/reserves.
Right. Imagine how much Pep would have had to spend getting in Aguero and De Bruyne the years we signed Lukaku and Pogba. Then consider of he had to sign those players if he could have signed all of his other targets at the same time.

Exactly. This squad needed re building. At least when Jose left Chelsea, Conte walked in with quality players who could challenge for the league in Hazard, Costa etc. Simply wasn't the case when Jose walked in after Van Gaal. Van Gaal wasted a lot of money and had very little to show for it. It was a way bigger job than Pep had at City.

Last edited:

bktm

After spending almost 2 year, and buying half the squad, one would have expectations for both of them, it's just Pep was able to deliver, but us we forget how to keep the ball(though that's all we did under LVG, boring but effectively ).
Shiet happens, it's like leister city and last seasons Chelsea, new style of play(in epl) from city is taking them places. But Even Giants gall so no point in blaming our manager or players.

All in all we do have better points, goals and clean sheets than previous couple of seasons, that's a achievement in itself. If we keep doing this next year consistently and add few decent players, we can go places.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
City have had a better squad than United for years now. When SAF won the last title City had a better squad back then and that's 5 seasons ago.

People like to make fun and make up things but the fact is that the squads that Mourinho and Pep walked were vastly different and Pep has spent even more on top of his squad that was already the better one. Pep had the spine, Mourinho had to change his spine. On top of that City are in great form that no team can compete with at the moment.

haram

Shut the feck up if all you have to add to threads are "another City thread"?

OP, I think this view is revisionist. Many supporters believed we would be in the title race at the beginning of the season.
No one expected City to be this good. In seasons gone by we would be in the race.

Bobski

Is Mourinho being criticized for not matching City's points total or for his team lacking any attacking cohesion, relying on individual moments and being less than the sum of their parts when you look at how the team is actually performing.

The results have been quite good, the performances have not been. This is why I see City as a distraction, instead of complaining about what City are doing I would prefer if we focused on those issues above.

haram

Context is important here too. You could just as easily point out that United had to pay a large fee for Pogba despite having let him go for free a few years earlier. KDB not a cheap buy for City but was a cheap one under Mou. And while £54 million is a big fee, no other player in City's squad has been purchased for more - in this market, that's remarkable. Although I suspect that a player like Weigl will change that
It's the fact that Jose had to purchase Pogba and Lukaku for large fees whilst Pep didn't as De Bruyne and Aguero were already there. The two signings Jose had to made make up half of his total 300 million spend. Meanwhile Pep added 400 million on top of De Bruyne and Aguero. That's why there is a gap between the teams and the building of the squads. Things will be much closer next year as we fill more of the gaps. Of course City will add more as well, but I dont see them getting much better than this. They have almost won every game anyway.

Is Mourinho being criticized for not matching City's points total or for his team lacking any attacking cohesion, relying on individual moments and being less than the sum of their parts when you look at how the team is actually performing.

The results have been quite good, the performances have not been. This is why I see City as a distraction, instead of complaining about what City are doing I would prefer if we focused on those issues above.
Right, and City also had problems last year. That is why I explained that we were behind city in our development to start with (before jose and pep arrived). We will be playing better football next year. If we dont, then Mourinho deserves heavier criticism, especially if we plug more of the gaps in our squad.

Embarrassing thread op and said it before but this reference to the money argument is a fecking joke. This forum has actually gone full rawk where the messiah makes a bullshit excuse and the fans lap it up like flocks of sheep.

If you guys think a) we don't spend enough money and b) it's lack of investment which is root cause of our current malaise in terms of performance levels (not results) then I really don't know what to say. Think it's time to hibernate till next year when following another year of spending we are in the same position and the fans wake up and smell the coffee.
No, I think we have made progress but we still need time to continue to build. City had a head start on us in terms of personnel and the players that were already there. It's not like Pep did not have his struggles last year either. We have been behind them for a while and are playing catch up. Van Gaal did not suffer from a lack of investement. He just wasted all the money and filled the squad with players not good enough to win the league. Jose had to fix that.

Borden

We have 4 points more after 20 games than we did last season. Hardly an impressive improvement. Especially since we are still for the most part playing shite, uninspiring football.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
That's some deluded thinking.

Pep is light years ahead of Jose.
Look at the difference in the players that were already there
How is Pep light years ahead of Jose in terms of relative accomplishments (which was the point of my post), if everyone including yourself agrees that Pep had much better players to begin with?

Jose took a team that had been hovering between 4th and 7th for 3 seasons before his arrival and has them in 2nd place. Pep took a team that had been hovering between 1st and 2nd for the past 5 years before his arrival and has them in 1st.

Last edited:

haram

So David Moyes was correct when he said 'We should aspire to be like Manchester City'?

:houllier:
No. He should have started to add players in the summer but all he did was add Fellaini. We were league champions and needed to put our foot down. All we did was let a talented group in City continue to add more players, overtake us and consolidate it with further signings. The 3 years under Moyes and Van Gaal had us playing catch up and now are finally in 2nd and on Chelsea's level at least.

We have 4 points more after 20 games than we did last season. Hardly an impressive improvement.
We are also above the rest of the teams and had Pogba out for over 2 months. The thread is about the evolution of the squad as a whole anyway. The rebuilding job is still ongoing and we are naturally behind City in that regards. We are closer to Chelsea and it shows. There is clear progress and that was evident with our great start. It has been hampered with injuries, but as a whole we are going in the right direction.

Redmurph16

We have 4 points more after 20 games than we did last season. Hardly an impressive improvement.
Before the season started, most of us would have taken this many points after 20 games.
City's form has just blown everyone away.
There's lots we need to improve including getting defenders who understand the game. Done your groin? You shouldn't be anywhere near your own penalty area in the 94th minute.
Keep the faith.

Bearded One

No. He should have started to add players in the summer but all he did was add Fellaini. We were league champions and needed to put our foot down. All we did was let a talented group in City continue to add more players, overtake us and consolidate it with further signings. The 3 years under Moyes and Van Gaal had us playing catch up and now are finally in 2nd and on Chelsea's level at least.

We are also above the rest of the teams and had Pogba out for over 2 months. The thread is about the evolution of the squad as a whole anyway. The rebuilding job is still ongoing and we are naturally behind City in that regards. We are closer to Chelsea and it shows. There is clear progress and that was evident with our great start. It has been hampered with injuries, but as a whole we are going in the right direction.
This was my post from another thread and I could have easily tried to defend Jose here as I normally do but then some things don't seem right at the moment. Maybe I'm overracting because I genuinely thought we'd challenge for the league, maybe I need to have a rest or something but this is how I honestly feel about this whole issue:

"This whole saga is looking like his final seasons at Real Madrid and Chelsea all over again and this is my worry. When you throw everybody under the boss and save your face in the process, most players would never say a word but foundations would begin to have been laid for down-tooling.

At the start of the season both managers, off the top of my head, had the following players available for starting positions:

Bravo
Zabaleta Stones Otamendi Clichy Fernandinho De Bruyne Silva
Sterling
Aguero Sane

De Gea
Valencia
Smalling Baily Shaw
Fellaini Pogba
Mata Mkhitaryan Martial
Ibrahimovic

My starting eleven would consist of the bolded but there's a point worth noting about that city team namely that they were very thin on actual central midfielders. They had old Yaya, Fernandinho and Fernando in their ranks but had to improvise by getting attacking midfielders to play that role. It has worked big time but at the time it never looked like a wise decision as Silva was considered too fragile to thrive in the mid field hustle and bustle and De Bruyne was fond of loosing the ball rather easily and would easily got tired even when playing in the hole (behind the striker). It's only because it has now worked that we can include them as central midfielders in the joint starting XI but going into the season lots of people thought that city was such an imbalanced side with a lot of attacking midfielders who loved to play centrally and could only get shafted wide because they could not all play behind the striker. It was a problem for them in Pellegrini's era because they often played one of De Bruyne and Silva out of position (on the wings).

I also recall that they actually wanted to sign Pogba because every man and his dog knew that they needed a replacement for the powerhouse that Yaya Toure once was but baulked at the price. I even remember that at the time, I was very jittery that were going to sign Pogba when it all seemed like it was going to happen. I wanted Real Madrid to steal the deal because at the time for some reason I never thought we'd pull that transfer.

Whilst I understand that we all have our different preferences I don't think there was such a big gulf between the two teams as such. I don't believe they were better in the goalkeeping department, I don't believe they were better in central defense, I don't believe they were better in full back positions, I don't believe they were better in central midfield (without the improvisation i.e. with Yaya and Fernandinho), I don't believe they were better on the wings as well. Attacking midfield position, I'll give you that one. Center forward, again I'll give that to you. They have the better players there. Let's talk about Conte. You'd expect a title wining team to perform as such with a new manager (the previous manager had been sacked) in a new season after they down tooled the previous one. But guess what, they were very shambolic and looked anything but a title contending side but a good team that was just getting along in the top 4 race. And if you watched Liverpool vs Chelsea where the latter were torn to shreds you'd understand what I'm saying. But from then on, Conte actually looked inwards and gave the league something it previously had not seen, at least not in that magnitude. The 3-4-3 winning code that none was able to sufficiently crack. I am not a Chelsea fan but if I do not acknowlege it's brilliance, I'd be lying to myself.

We also forget that the Jose knows this league like the back of his palm going into his first season with us compared to Conte and Pep so the argument that he started on a lower pedestal has to take this point into consideration also.

I feel so sorry for Martial at this point because I know he can do more. See people have different temperaments but if you take the number 9 shirt for me and give it to another guy, It would piss me off and I won't utter a word about it but I could give 80% of my commitment and expect the manager to rely on that guy that got my shirt to deliver for him. You see players don't talk all the time but when a manager can readily throw them under the bus, sooner or later they'll begin to do their talking behind the scenes and before the screens on matchdays but they'll never say a word in the public eye. I read an article on Sterling few weeks or months ago where Pep was getting praised for how Sterling seemed to have improved
him but he dodged the glory and said it was all down to Sterling because he was becoming less active on social media. If you were that player wouldn't you run through the wall for your manager? See its not always all about yourself. That attitude will produce another Real Madrid and Chelsea debacle.

I think there is a genius of a player somewhere in Martial waiting to be tapped. For such a young lad to have carried the team over the line the way he did it's quite disappointing that he has not hit his heights since then. People have differing preferences in football but I for one would love to see Rashford play more centrally. Yes he's still raw and all the that but I think he wouldn't do any worse than Sterling who for all his inconsistency still does deliver. I had great hopes in the young lad and still do. We seem to have forgotten how highly rated this young lad once was. I don't think we would lack bite in attack if we played Martial and Rashers off him, flanked by world class (or near world class) wide attackers like Mahrez.

At the end of the day it's all about the manager's preference but when it doesn't work out, its only fair we constructively critique the decisions.
I know we are second on the league table but that's a false sense of security because Burnley are closer to us than we are to City and so if fans express concern on the back of back-to-back average performances, they have a right to do so. See position on the table doesn’t determine points but points determine table positions. So its plausible that a team in 3rd can go as low as 6th in one single matchday. It's fair to look at our number of points compared to our rivals and our recent performances rather than actual position on the table and have a discussion about it.

I could come here and defend Jose but I owe it a duty to my conscience to tell it as I see it.

Apologies for the long post."

Oneunited26

I think we allowed city to do this which started in summer 2009, we sell ronaldo and snap up owen, obertan, diouff and valencia, we look summer 2010, hernandez, smalling and bebe who apparently fergie hardly ever scouted, summer 2011 was a bit busier, but fergie's answer to getting outclassed by barcelona, anderson and cleverly in midfield, with star signing ashley young to challenge barcelona, but no CM signing still. So I think this has been years in the making, think arrogance and complacency kicked this club in the teeth with signing Moyes and resulting in 7th position, and then hit the panic button in summer 2014 on what we started buying, di maria was the prime example. This did not just happen after fergie left, this was happening when ronaldo left the club and it kept getting worse.

City are a wonderful excuse.

I wonder if we continue as we are if there if will be threads in a month telling us how Utd could not possibly be expected to compete with Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs?
That just about sums it up, when its not city, its leicester, when its not leicester its chelsea, when its not chelsea its someone else, PPL always move the goal posts on Jose's failuire to evolve the way we play the game, god know how he trains the team. But fact remains we have not exactly improved much from last season, and the way spurs, liverpool, chelsea, and even arsenal of all teams are picking up the pace, its a worry

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How is Pep light years ahead of Jose in terms of relative accomplishments (which was the point of my post), if everyone including yourself agrees that Pep had much better players to begin with?

Jose took a team that had been hovering between 4th and 7th for 3 seasons before his arrival and has them in 2nd place. Pep took a team that had been hovering between 1st and 2nd for the past 5 years before his arrival and has them in 1st.
He has them miles ahead of everyone. Not a couple of points.
He has taken the players he had up levels - as a team.

I wonder what he could do with us as a team

eat_grass

When and where did he say this?
In multiple press conferences during the pre-season and during United's hot start to the Premiere League. The press kept demanding he declare United were ready to fight for the title, and he said no, that when he took over United he told the board it would take three summer windows to compete for it.

Also during United's 7-1-0 start, the press kept pressing him to says United were title challengers, and he repeatedly said it was too early to tell.

vamos_nadal

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think its about spending.

Dortmund, Atletico have had sustained success in top leagues without spending loads and with the former, the football was spectacular to boot.

The perspecive needed is that Mourinho is doing a good job. United are on track for 85 or so points, which is a strong improvement on last year. You'll also likely go to the quarters or further in the CL. Given where you were when Mourinho took over, its not half bad is it?

I know its hard to admit cause its City, but fact is, no matter what way you dress it up, Guardiola has gone and worked absolute wonders with his team. Its a combination of starting with a slightly better squad, more money, and most of all - improving players he already had, and building a system which is phenomenal. Credit where its due, their points total is ridiculous. In about 3 weeks they'll have more points than Liverpool and United did in 38 games last season!

I think the post-match quote from Mourinho was just out of frustration. There's pressure to win everything at a club like United. Pep's amazing season with City just makes it more intense for Mourinho.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

roseguy64

No one said the squad is bad, it just needs more building. How was Jose (or anyone) supposed to know City would win every game bar one by the new year?
That's the real problem here. City's form. A normal season and we'd be like 5 or 6 points off them at this stage. We'd have had to improve immensely to be able to match them there. We have improved from last season. It just looks crummy because they've won basically every game. In a normal season they'd have dropped more points. We'd be challenging for the title then. But they've blown everyone away so we end up looking worse than we actually are.

roseguy64

Enough of the bull. Ignore City. Forget them. Our squad should be good enough to be better than limping past Watford, West Bromwich, drawing against a Leicester with 10 men, and creating fcuk all against Burnley who were missing quite a few First stringers.
We've done similar performances in title-winning seasons in the past. Dropping points to inferior teams isn't strange.

hn4manunited

Without city mourinho is doing a marvelous job pts wise. With city he's doing a shit job, - 15 pts in December.

Therein lies the problem. The yard stick moves instead of static.

Mourinho don't have room to risk style over substances, many people claim they'd tolerate a bad finish if it means attacking football, but when the push comes to the shove i doubt they won't be calling for his head. Mourinho ticks all the objectives from the board (top 3 finish? Qf champion league? Good showing in cup runs? Progress over last season?).

Does he merits our patience? He does. For if he doesn't we will have to sack most manager unless they do a city (which is unreasonable)

Does he earnt our patience? Yes he does. Objectively speaking he delivers trophies in history first year, and in 2nd position by christmas.

Would we find anyone better? Probably. But it's not guaranteed. The odds of finding the next saf is 1/100. And at best for pochetino (or whoever the next manager) to be better than mourinho is 50/50 at best.
Just to add to that, it’s not just “unless we do a city”...it’s more like “unless we do a ‘this season’s’ city.” Next season, it will be someone else unless it’s us. If it’s us, they’ll be complaining about something else.

DdeGoat

At the start of the season, Rojo wasn't expected back for months. Valencia wasn't expected to have much longer as a regular. People were dubious about why Chelsea would sell us Matic, unless Matic was injured/passed it. And Lukaku was getting a mixed reception, with people questioning his attitude and his skills. Jones remains injury prone, and as a result, still a relative novice, despite it seeming like he's been around for years.

I'm always optimistic about our players and our team, and I hate posters pre-judging new arrivals and young players in particular. But there is a difference between us as fans looking on the bright side and what's actually possible. When it comes to young players, a season can make a huge difference, same with the ones over 30 - we hope that young opponents won't mature and the old ones will fade fast - we hope our own youngsters will become consistently good and that we can get another good year out of the old ones.

So, back to the players you mention. Rojo is still in the recovery phase with his ACL. Bailly had been injured for most of the season. Matic has had to play too many games - injuries to Pogba, Fellaini, Carrick, poor form from Herrera - the freshness and command we saw in Matic's early games has gone. Valencia is having a decent season, but remains a player who will need replacement sooner rather than later.

We're supporters - supporting is in the job description, even if that means hoping for the best, rather than assuming our players will get injured, or need more time to grow up.
We can say the same thing for City's players too. Kompany & Gundogan are crock's, Yaya is past it, Stones was thought of as some sort of joke who now has been injured for a while, Otamendi was another failure in City's £200m pound central defense, Mendy suffered a long term injury early on, Danillo is born to warm the bench, Fernandinho was old and mediocre etc. etc.

I don't believe in excuses. They gives everyone a reason to under-perform and accept mediocrity. Our squad does need investment in a couple of crucial positions, no one will deny that, but it's not bad, or inferior to City's by a large margin At the start of the season everyone from fans to the pundits to the players to managers were confident that this is a squad capable of challenging for the title. Until the City game there was a belief that we'll challenge them till the very end. Now two weeks later we are being told that the squad is not good enough. I am sorry, I don't buy that. City are having an exceptional season. One that won't be easily replicated. We are having a decent season too. It's no shame being second at the moment. What we need is to pick ourselves and keep going, not cry about the quality of our squad.

kundalini

Guardiola inherited a fantastic squad of incredible players who finished the previous season in 4th place with 66 points.

Mourinho inherited a useless bunch of past it players and misfits, who finished the previous season in 5th position with an embarrassing 66 points.

Therefore, once both managers have spent an absolute fortune, it is perfectly understandable that City should be miles ahead of United.

After all, LVG was an absolute genius getting to 66 points with that group of players. His understanding of the PL was 2nd to none.

Some much needed perspective.

Last edited:

hkjack

Supports
Man City

City had been hovering between 1st and 2nd in last 5 years?people tried hard to provide false information to defend their manager.
Why do you compare City 5 years record with United 3 years record ?You want to hide the fact that United got the title 4 years before Jose took over?

LeftyBlaster

We've done similar performances in title-winning seasons in the past. Dropping points to inferior teams isn't strange.
True but the manner in which those games were wasted is what annoys me. They weren't blips in a title winning / challenging run. They were a series of games where same problems showcased themselves and contributed to our dropping points. Lack of urgency, lack of organisation during set pieces, defensive lapses, lack of creativity in the final third. All of which should've been identified by management and stamped out for a team of our calibre and ambition and Jose's.