Some much needed perspective on the United and City squads

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Premier League has 20 teams. When chasing a team like City, you'd expect other teams to help you gain ground on them by nicking a point from them here and there. That's happened in almost every PL season that's gone by. Teams always drop point. However, only one team has managed to do this and they were extremely fortunate in doing so. Yes, we haven't done ourselves too many favours by dropping point recently but you don't expect a team to win 19 out of their 20 games.

What City are doing is insane, if I'm being honest. They don't look like they can be stopped and the only way we could have matched them is by... winning every game, too.
I agree that City's performance this year is an anomoly. Not matter how good you are, you tend to drop points in some shitty matches were it just won't click. Hell, they still might start doing that in the 2nd half of the season. United should be ready to pounce in that case, or at least finish strong as a worthy second and build on it next year.

Winning the CL would be a nice bonus too.... :p

NJM78

If you're going to correct the other poster don't you think that the Martial add-ons should have been mentioned? They're mostly quite achievable.
I added the 8m that we paid Monaco when he got to 25 goals last season in a past post, no one gave a toss. At end of day the club paid 36m for Martial in 2015 with the price potentially rising to 56m with future add ons. I think he needs to be Ballon d'or winner and a few other clauses with national team etc need to be met to reach that full 56m but at present we have actually spent 44m on him. I honestly believe that's where it will stay.

In general every time a club buys a player with add ons the amount paid upfront is mentioned, when its United its the full potential amount shown. BBC were the worst for Depay, even PSV themselves came out and said Depay did not cost what kept being mentioned by them.

When mentioning sales of players by Jose since he came to united I give figure we got paid not potentially what we will receive if the likes of Depay, Januzaj etc meet certain clauses.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City

Dobbs

Guardiola inherited a fantastic squad of incredible players who finished the previous season in 4th place with 66 points.

Mourinho inherited a useless bunch of past it players and misfits, who finished the previous season in 5th position with an embarrassing 66 points.

Therefore, once both managers have spent an absolute fortune, it is perfectly understandable that City should be miles ahead of United.

After all, LVG was an absolute genius getting to 66 points with that group of players. His understanding of the PL was 2nd to none.

Some much needed perspective.
Beginning of the season you thought City would finish 4th with us in 5th. So not exactly miles ahead.

Slightly confused as to why you thought Guardiola inherited a fantastic squad, spent a fortune and would still only finish 4th.

Edit: Ha think I missed the irony in your post.

Last edited:

Dobbs

True but the manner in which those games were wasted is what annoys me. They weren't blips in a title winning / challenging run. They were a series of games where same problems showcased themselves and contributed to our dropping points. Lack of urgency, lack of organisation during set pieces, defensive lapses, lack of creativity in the final third. All of which should've been identified by management and stamped out for a team of our calibre and ambition and Jose's.
Agree. That's what's frustrating. We've got the players. We've got the biggest name in management. Yet we consistently turn out the same poor performances. It's not just the games we get caught out either, there have been quite a few we've got away with.

We all expect blips, they happen. But they happen every two months or so. When was the last time we put together three consecutive high quality performances. Is that too much too ask for? Maybe my perspective is off and it is too much.

NFM

An alternative nonrevisionist narrative/take on the respective squad strengths with the arrival of pep/mou would be something like:

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2017/12/mourinhos-inheritance-weaker-squad-classic-deflection/
The article you linked is good. However its a little disingenuous to pick that city team as well as ignore the two years of preparation for pep's arrival which included buying players known to match his style.
Clearly pep is riding high and jose is in the dumps. pep is a very good coach, but he is also a master of the 'black arts' ( as of course is jose). One of the factors fueling city this season are 'border-line' tactics which taken together are 'new' to the CL and this season are catching out teams ( and refs).
1 Defenders dropping to ground as soon as they feel the opposition 'breath'.
2 tripping of counter-attackers in their own half, refs tend to play on, but the damage has been done ( this is the one jose publicly stated)
3 deliberate off-side runs to confuse defenders allowing another player to collect through balls on goal. Many city goals have come from this ploy, with linesmen/refs ignoring the 'interfering with play' element.
Its working, city are prospering, as they should with their array of talent.
I hesitate to raise the issue of doping, but it follows pep from his 'incident' in Italy as a player. Barca's links with a certain doctor were well known during his time as manager, some have pointed fingers at the 'endurance' records of Barca players at the time with their constant 'high press/swarming' style. It will be interesting to see how city's players respond to a tough english winter playing the same style.

Reactions: jojojo

LeftyBlaster

Agree. That's what's frustrating. We've got the players. We've got the biggest name in management. Yet we consistently turn out the same poor performances. It's not just the games we get caught out either, there have been quite a few we've got away with.

We all expect blips, they happen. But they happen every two months or so. When was the last time we put together three consecutive high quality performances. Is that too much too ask for? Maybe my perspective is off and it is too much.
Exactly!! Take Spurs for example. Last 5 fixtures they have won 4 very very convincingly against teams we struggled against. Their one loss was against City. That’s a blip, against the best side in the league no less. Now look at us.

Dobbs

Exactly!! Take Spurs for example. Last 5 fixtures they have won 4 very very convincingly against teams we struggled against. Their one loss was against City. That’s a blip, against the best side in the league no less. Now look at us.
Yeah true. That's what's so short sighted about the "we're 2nd" group. They keep saying it like we've finished 2nd. They actually compare our current position to last years final position.

I think you've got to look to the first three games of the season to find three back to back high quality performances. The teams around us are stringing together games like that now.

Saturday is the perfect opportunity to get going again before 2nd slips away.

LeftyBlaster

Yeah true. That's what's so short sighted about the "we're 2nd" group. They keep saying it like we've finished 2nd. They actually compare our current position to last years final position.

I think you've got to look to the first three games of the season to find three back to back high quality performances. The teams around us are stringing together games like that now.

Saturday is the perfect opportunity to get going again before 2nd slips away.
That’s what I’ve been saying. The whole “we are second” pisses me off.

CM

City had a better attack with Sterling, de Bruyne, Silva and Aguero all there pre-Guardiola but the rest of the team has been overhauled. City have been smarter in targeting positions of weakness and it helps when there's a manager at the helm who incorporates young talent from the get-go. I couldn't envisage Mourinho ever dropping Aguero for Jesus if in Guardiola's position, he probably wouldn't even have signed him in the first place.

It's alright complaining about spend if there's a genuine lack of funds. There hasn't been though, last summer we spent well and this summer we didn't - that's all there is to it. Lindelof was a largely superfluous signing and Lukaku isn't exactly someone who puts us on an equal footing with City. Next summer the focus has to be on players in positions of need who can bring us up to that level.

buckooo1978

An alternative nonrevisionist narrative/take on the respective squad strengths with the arrival of pep/mou would be something like:

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2017/12/mourinhos-inheritance-weaker-squad-classic-deflection/
to be honest there's a lot of nonsense in that

comparing and playing down the quality and experience of the City side with the United side is silly....describing Young as a top player is generous when you consider his awful stats prior to this season - if you consider when both managers arrived the big issue City had was under performance whilst United's biggest issue and one that remains to be fixed is scoring goals (check out those horrible stats)

Aguero was obviously a far superior player than Rooney.....De Bruyne, Silva and Sterling to a lesser degree were streets ahead of our attacking players in quality/experience like Depay who failed, Lingard who was very average under LVG, Martial and Rashford who have bags of potential but are kids unclear of their best positions.....Fernandinho v Schneiderlein was no contest, Carrick and Schweinsteiger too old to make a major impact.....the list goes on

what I would bring it down to would be look at the United players Jose inherited who are regularly playing

Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Mata, Young, Fellaini, De Gea.....of that list you'd only say De Gea is established quality...expect Martial to join him sooner rather than later

De Bruyne and Silva are world class, Aguero has declined a little but is still top 10 striker in the world, Sterling has reclaimed his form from the great season under Liverpool and Pep has improved Fernandinho and Delph

Pep's signings have improved the team including Ederson, Stones, Sane, Silva, Walker, Mendy is class, Danilo is versatile and impressive, Gundogan is impressive when fit - overall Pep has a plan the players understand and it is bearing fruits

wheras Jose seems to be lacking an effective game plan and in all honesty of his 7 signings only Pogba, Matic and a perma-injured Bailly have improved us

overall it's clear there was a gulf in the quality of players inherited and Pep inherited players technically good enough to play his system - Jose on the other hand inherited a mish mash of players with no prior plan....

- when he arrived we had no right winger and played a slow Mata there
- we had 2 strikers- an inexperienced Rashford and an awful Rooney
- a RB who was a converted winger
centre backs like Jones/Smalling/Rojo who were inconsistent and injured constantly
- a midfield containing Herrera (an 8? a 10, a 6)
- Carrick is quality but too old
- Schneiderlein- I'm still not sure what he does
- Fellaini?
- one left back in Blind who had played the season as a CB and one in Shaw who had major injury and attitude issues....the list could go on

it's no surprise we are behind City when you consider that.... we do need to be more focused with our player development and purchases as I'm not sure where someone like Griezeman would have fitted in and it does feel a little like chucking expensive players in and it's up to them to produce.....Id like to see a DoF or even a group of people like Carrick/Giggs/Scholes/foreign individuals tasked with formulating how we wish to play, a coach who suits that system, a youth set up that prepares kids for it and identify players easier

a long way to go for us and if we finish 2nd that will be considered a big achievement given all I've said

Last edited:

Bobski

The City/Utd comparisons are pointless and a distraction as I mentioned before. City's performances level has no influence on how Utd play other than in the direct head to head encounters. Utd need to concentrate on being the best versions of themselves before worrying about City. At the moment I think we are under performing, not in comparison to City, but to the potential of the squad. The results have been good for the most part, but I am not seeing the development in patterns of play, cohesion. We can spend heavily on stars but we still need to create a better framework for them to work in rather than rely so heavily on individual talent.

Once we have that then we can worry about City.

Fluctuation0161

Beginning of the season you thought City would finish 4th with us in 5th. So not exactly miles ahead.

Slightly confused as to why you thought Guardiola inherited a fantastic squad, spent a fortune and would still only finish 4th.
I think he’s joking mate. But he is missing much needed perspective.

Some United fans are being far too critical when you look at the scale of the rebuilding job Jose took on.

The natural comparison is with City because they’re the only team above us right now!

The City squad had finished 1st, 2nd and then 4th prior to Peps arrival. Even in that 4th place season they dipped in form when Pep was announced and underperformed after a strong start to the season.

The United squad had finished in 7th, 4th and 5th with no title challenges for 3 years prior to Jose’s arrival. Fergies title winning squad was long gone!

Pep also inheritrd a more balanced squad and their core top quality players in place before Pep arrived. KDB, Aguero, Silva, Sterling for example. Even Fernandinho was a regular starter in defensive midfield.

Meanwhile Jose inherited no wingers, 2 ageing ex wingers playing as full backs, injury prone centre backs, too many number 10’s and a weak central midfield!

Jose only inherited De Gea and possibly Martial (as a comparison to Sterling) as top quality players. So of course he had to spend more on individual players to get the quality we need in Pogba and Lukaku.

In 2 seasons Pep has signed 10 more players than Jose, spent more money and he inherited a better & more balanced squad to start with.

Fluctuation0161

to be honest there's a lot of nonsense in that

comparing and playing down the quality and experience of the City side with the United side is silly....describing Young as a top player is generous when you consider his awful stats prior to this season - if you consider when both managers arrived the big issue City had was under performance whilst United's biggest issue and one that remains to be fixed is scoring goals (check out those horrible stats)

Aguero was obviously a far superior player than Rooney.....De Bruyne, Silva and Sterling to a lesser degree were streets ahead of our attacking players in quality/experience like Depay who failed, Lingard who was very average under LVG, Martial and Rashford who have bags of potential but are kids unclear of their best positions.....Fernandinho v Schneiderlein was no contest, Carrick and Schweinsteiger too old to make a major impact.....the list goes on

what I would bring it down to would be look at the United players Jose inherited who are regularly playing

Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Mata, Young, Fellaini, De Gea.....of that list you'd only say De Gea is established quality...expect Martial to join him sooner rather than later

De Bruyne and Silva are world class, Aguero has declined a little but is still top 10 striker in the world, Sterling has reclaimed his form from the great season under Liverpool and Pep has improved Fernandinho and Delph

Pep's signings have improved the team including Ederson, Stones, Sane, Silva, Walker, Mendy is class, Danilo is versatile and impressive, Gundogan is impressive when fit - overall Pep has a plan the players understand and it is bearing fruits

wheras Jose seems to be lacking an effective game plan and in all honesty of his 7 signings only Pogba, Matic and a perma-injured Bailly have improved us

overall it's clear there was a gulf in the quality of players inherited and Pep inherited players technically good enough to play his system - Jose on the other hand inherited a mish mash of players with no prior plan....

- when he arrived we had no right winger and played a slow Mata there
- we had 2 strikers- an inexperienced Rashford and an awful Rooney
- a RB who was a converted winger
centre backs like Jones/Smalling/Rojo who were inconsistent and injured constantly
- a midfield containing Herrera (an 8? a 10, a 6)
- Carrick is quality but too old
- Schneiderlein- I'm still not sure what he does
- Fellaini?
- one left back in Blind who had played the season as a CB and one in Shaw who had major injury and attitude issues....the list could go on

it's no surprise we are behind City when you consider that.... we do need to be more focused with our player development and purchases as I'm not sure where someone like Griezeman would have fitted in and it does feel a little like chucking expensive players in and it's up to them to produce.....Id like to see a DoF or even a group of people like Carrick/Giggs/Scholes/foreign individuals tasked with formulating how we wish to play, a coach who suits that system, a youth set up that prepares kids for it and identify players easier

a long way to go for us and if we finish 2nd that will be considered a big achievement given all I've said
Well said, that article was nonsense.

Andersons Dietician

We ain't that far behind despite what some of the doom mongers might say. But clearly we are never gonna play as expansively as city under Jose. Might as well accept that, get behind the team and management and hope they get it right. What I do know is we are in in the best shape we have been since saf.
The people that say we are miles behind are actually the people that are defending Jose. The “doom mongerers” are the one pointing out that we have a very good team that should be performing better than it is.

Dinghy

The wonderful world of the Internet and google search at your fingertips buddy.
I tried that mate and couldn't find a quote from this summer from Mourinho where he claims he would need more transfer windows to challenge for the title. I doubt he said that before the season. He might say it now, though..

Fluctuation0161

The people that say we are miles behind are actually the people that are defending Jose. The “doom mongerers” are the one pointing out that we have a very good team that should be performing better than it is.
Define better? The only poor result was the surprise league cup exit and that has happened under many managers. I think the Jose criticism is excessive. We’ve made progress under Jose and the squad has improved massively. There’s still work to do though.

I expect the excessive criticism from the media but lots of United fans are acting like spoilt kids.

Jaybomb

They have Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Jesus and Aguero up front. That’s the difference.

Lukaku is the only one I’d put in that category from our squad. Rashford and Martial are certainly not as good as them. And neither is Lingard or Mkhitaryan.

We’re doing good to be 2nd considering the lack of quality we’re working with.

Andersons Dietician

Define better? The only poor result was the surprise league cup exit and that has happened under many managers. I think the Jose criticism is excessive. We’ve made progress under Jose and the squad has improved massively. There’s still work to do though.

I expect the excessive criticism from the media but lots of United fans are acting like spoilt kids.
Don’t think anyone would argue results have been impressive, performance is a totally different thing and performance has not been good at all. It’s nothing to do with people being spoilt, it’s people from years of watching football being able to look at a team and understand what “performing well” is. We struggle to link 3 passes together, or control tempo’s, be able to put our stamp on a game, create space. Just very basic things that you’re taught growing up playing football and somehow our team seems to lack any of these abilities.

Those thinks are linked to performance. Most people seem to not understand these principles then make snide comments about City and pretty triangles and stuff. Because that is what this place has become. Most of the people who bring up City, and complaining about people comparing us to City are the exact same people. They are the people in threads that keep bringing it up it’s hilarious that they don’t spot this.

Dobbs

Don’t think anyone would argue results have been impressive, performance is a totally different thing and performance has not been good at all. It’s nothing to do with people being spoilt, it’s people from years of watching football being able to look at a team and understand what “performing well” is. We struggle to link 3 passes together, or control tempo’s, be able to put our stamp on a game, create space. Just very basic things that you’re taught growing up playing football and somehow our team seems to lack any of these abilities.

Those thinks are linked to performance. Most people seem to not understand these principles then make snide comments about City and pretty triangles and stuff. Because that is what this place has become. Most of the people who bring up City, and complaining about people comparing us to City are the exact same people. They are the people in threads that keep bringing it up it’s hilarious that they don’t spot this.
Ha ha very true.

Those who aren't happy with performances will almost certainly be met with a response involving City.

When we tell them it's not about City they'll ignore that and respond with City again.

Andersons Dietician

Ha ha very true.

Those who aren't happy with performances will almost certainly be met with a response involving City.

When we tell them it's not about City they'll ignore that and respond with City again.
Yeah exactly, another one they don’t seem to understand is that “performance” and “result” are separate things. But you’re absolutely spot on, the reply you’ll get is either a comparison to City or getting told off because you only feel this way because of City. It’s like they are unable to think, honestly I think some brain washing has occurred. They can’t understand that people can look at play and understand that it’s not very good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They have Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Jesus and Aguero up front. That’s the difference.

Lukaku is the only one I’d put in that category from our squad. Rashford and Martial are certainly not as good as them. And neither is Lingard or Mkhitaryan.

We’re doing good to be 2nd considering the lack of quality we’re working with.
Before Pep and Mourinho took over, martial was far better then both Sane and Sterling. And Jesus. Rashford last season was better then Sterling. Aguero, Silva, kdb, sure, so the point still stands as only Pogba can counter de Bruyne there (and even then he's nowhere near as consistent). But generally, rashford and martial are similar potential wise to those and outperformed them before this season, so that's not a good argument as the only difference is their manager with his style is getting the most out of them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
1. If you want perspective, in the long run, there is a big gap in terms of net spend between the 2 clubs.

2009-2014 period

2015-2017 period: Nowadays, the gap is clearly smaller but not irrelevant.

2016 below

2. Similar wage bill around 220 millions

3. Conclusion: United is doing very well when we keep in mind that the club is a relatively new large-scale investor compared to City (the latter being an old large-scale investor)

Each club made mistakes, which is part of the game. City made a much more higher number of expensive acquisitions in the last 10 years.

If the player is a success, he won't leave the club given the club's financial strength so - in the long run - City has been in a position to gather a lot of highly-performing players.

Despite numerous bad acquisitions in the last 10 years, City has a great team because they have consistently spent a lot of money each season.

I'm not familiar with City business so I will illustrate my point with the case of PSG comprised of the main current players acquired in:

2011: Pastore,
2012: Thiago Motta (January), Veratti, Lucas Moura, Thiago Silva
2013: Cavani, Marquinhos,
2015: Di Maria, Kurzawa
2016: Meunier, Guedes
2017: Draxler (January), Lo Celso (January) + M'bappé + Neymar + Berchiche + Dani Alves

In the process, the weakest/unwanted players have been asked to leave

-CB Lugano, David Luiz, Alex, Sakho..
-FB Digne, Jallet...
-CM Cabaye, Matuidi, Chantôme, Krychowiak, Hebling, Stambouli, Sissoko
-ATT Lavezzi, Menez, Gameiro, Jese, Ben Arfa

Applied to United, I would say you just need 1-2 years before being a team in a position to win the Champions League.

Edit: my post will be more clear if you do what I did with PSG here with acquisition dates of the key current City/United players

Last edited:

haram

Before Pep and Mourinho took over, martial was far better then both Sane and Sterling. And Jesus. Rashford last season was better then Sterling. Aguero, Silva, kdb, sure, so the point still stands as only Pogba can counter de Bruyne there (and even then he's nowhere near as consistent). But generally, rashford and martial are similar potential wise to those and outperformed them before this season, so that's not a good argument as the only difference is their manager with his style is getting the most out of them.
Point is Sterling had already shown he was capable of challenging for the league when he was at Liverpool. That's why City purchased him for 50 million. The arguement is the quality of the players inherited by Jose and Pep. Hazard having a poor year has nothing to do with his quality and what Conte was inheriting at Chelsea for example.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Point is Sterling had already shown he was capable of challenging for the league when he was at Liverpool. That's why City purchased him for 50 million. The arguement is the quality of the players inherited by Jose and Pep. Hazard having a poor year has nothing to do with his quality and what Conte was inheriting at Chelsea for example.
Sterling wasn't in that boat at all though. They challenged for the title that year because Suarez was an exceptional player and raised the level of everyone else. Sterling has a good season as a young player but he wasn't a top ready made player already, just like Rashford or martial werent. Since that season til now Sterling was very much looking like just a pace merchant but with no end product and poor technique. It's not a case of him having it and losing it, he was just a young player doing well initially but in no way being one of the main parts of that Liverpool side. You can't just say everyone part of a title challenge means they are good enough to be key players for one. Looking at them individually, Sterling wasn't on the same level as Martial or Rashford, until this season where Pep transformed him. It's entirely on Pep getting the most out of him. Not saying Jose isn't doing well with rashford and martial, just that his system doesn't get the most out of players like that like Peps does. Which is why people can't say "they had Sterling, got sane/Jesus" as part of a ready made players. It's just the systems and coaching which is being the main separation between their youngsters and ours this season. De Bruyne you can counter with Pogba, but Silva and Aguero is obviously where they had the advantage. They had a bit of an advantage in that they had 2 world class players in before Pep took over (Silva was really inconsistent and looked to be aging), but people overstate how big that advantage was. Reality is is that Peps just rebuilt them much more quicly and in a much better way then Mourinho is doing at United, once they took over at an almost even slate.

Stubble

Top priority now must be to clear out all the 'dead wood' in the squad. We need new players in a number of positions and this will be very costly - selling the players who have not performed will free up enough £££ for a couple of these purchases, otherwise we are looking at a number of transfer windows and a long slog. We need to be much more ruthless with removing players who are not up to the United standard, Pep has not dallied about in the way we have with failing players bloating out the squad. Personally i'm much more concerned with the likes of Liverpool catching us up following their recent decent purchases than City who are out of sight at the moment, we really need to keep our eyes of the chasing pack, top 4 is not a given now believe me !

haram

Sterling wasn't in that boat at all though. They challenged for the title that year because Suarez was an exceptional player and raised the level of everyone else. Sterling has a good season as a young player but he wasn't a top ready made player already, just like Rashford or martial werent. Since that season til now Sterling was very much looking like just a pace merchant but with no end product and poor technique. It's not a case of him having it and losing it, he was just a young player doing well initially but in no way being one of the main parts of that Liverpool side. You can't just say everyone part of a title challenge means they are good enough to be key players for one. Looking at them individually, Sterling wasn't on the same level as Martial or Rashford, until this season where Pep transformed him. It's entirely on Pep getting the most out of him. Not saying Jose isn't doing well with rashford and martial, just that his system doesn't get the most out of players like that like Peps does. Which is why people can't say "they had Sterling, got sane/Jesus" as part of a ready made players. It's just the systems and coaching which is being the main separation between their youngsters and ours this season. De Bruyne you can counter with Pogba, but Silva and Aguero is obviously where they had the advantage. They had a bit of an advantage in that they had 2 world class players in before Pep took over (Silva was really inconsistent and looked to be aging), but people overstate how big that advantage was. Reality is is that Peps just rebuilt them much more quicly and in a much better way then Mourinho is doing at United, once they took over at an almost even slate.
You are underating Sterling's contribution to Liverpool's title challenge. Yes he was a main part of that Liverpool side. He was the most hyped young talent in the world.

Jaybomb

Martial was never as good as them. We were rubbish with him up top in 15/16 before Rashford came on the scene. People forget that. He was our top scorer cause LVG had virtually nobody else to score them. Rooney was shocking that season, Depay was a flop and Fellaini/Mata only popped up with the odd goal every now and then.

If you have a rubbish team, any decent player will stand out.

Fluctuation0161

What about watching the past 4 years of our football? For some it's like the years of watching Moyes and LVG breakdown our club are forgotten. We've been mismanaged from the top down post-Fergie and our transfer strategy was scatter-gun at best.

We're better to watch now than the 3 years prior to Jose, not all the time, not every game, but overall it is much better and improving (yes we've had a recent dip in form). We are rebuilding and these things take time. It's the lack of patience from our fans that irks me. Look how long it took Fergie to turn us around when he first took over!

The instability of managers constantly changing has hurt our club - we need some solidarity from fans at a time when the media are bashing us and we need to regroup after a short dip in form.

Just my 2p.

roseguy64

True but the manner in which those games were wasted is what annoys me. They weren't blips in a title winning / challenging run. They were a series of games where same problems showcased themselves and contributed to our dropping points. Lack of urgency, lack of organisation during set pieces, defensive lapses, lack of creativity in the final third. All of which should've been identified by management and stamped out for a team of our calibre and ambition and Jose's.
Same thing has happened before under Ferguson. It's nothing new. He just managed to correct it before it became terrible. Now this is Mourinho's challenge.

vamos_nadal

Supports
Liverpool
Martial was never as good as them. We were rubbish with him up top in 15/16 before Rashford came on the scene. People forget that. He was our top scorer cause LVG had virtually nobody else to score them. Rooney was shocking that season, Depay was a flop and Fellaini/Mata only popped up with the odd goal every now and then.

If you have a rubbish team, any decent player will stand out.
With respect, this is shocking revisionism.

90%+ on this site rated Martial as the second coming of God and he was considered in a different league to Sterling, let alone Sane.

Mourinho is a fanastic manager with a stellar record, and odds are Rashford and Martial would be tearing the league up under him. Its what he does with talented young attackers. Mourinho has never done anything similar - the transformation of Sterling is phenomenal. Its not just the goals. Its the intelligence, movement, passing - 15 months ago every man and his dog rated him as another overhyped pace merchant with poor technique and shocking shooting.

I still think Martial is just as, or even more talented than Sterling, but he will never shine in a Mourinho team like he would in a Pep or Klopp team. Similarly, Lukaku would look rubbish in a Pep team.

Footyislife

The idea of relying on our young players is more romantic than realistic.

Smalling and Jones are injury prone, Rojo was out until the new year, Bailly will go to AFCON in the future and TFM and Axel may not actually be totally ready.

Lindelof is also a signing looking to the future and thinking about a potential 352 formation. He is gradually getting better. It is better to get in early on young talents than chase them when we need one for the 352 formation or when other clubs start circling with his price also rising.

Also, Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah will probably still be utilised. Darmian is probably on his way out so there will be space, and in the future as they grow they will have chances at CB.
How is it idealism? LVG proved it could be done. Rashford and Martial thrived when played as forwards instead of wingers. They aren't stars yet, but would terrorize the premier league defenses when played off each other. Martial more of a creator, with Rashford stretching the line as a poacher. We'd be far better off having spent that 75m (plus addons) on a position of need which is a wide superstar or even proper wingbacks. Pair in a veteran forward to bring-on in games where they aren't performing and we'd have a pretty solid team this year.

You still have Blind, Bailly if somehow Smalling & Jones are out injured at the same time. After Dec. Rojo is back, which is when we'd miss Bailly. We don't have the wing backs to play 3-5-2 well so not sure why we need additional depth. Axel & TFM are capable defenders in a pinch. Yet he chose not to sell any of the players he "didn't trust" & still bought which is just poor use of funds.

This is why you have a DOF. Not all managers are like SAF & have David Gill supporting them. All Mourinho is thinking is I'm winning the title in my 3 years. Regardless of how that leaves us as a club after that period.

haram

How is it idealism? LVG proved it could be done. Rashford and Martial thrived when played as forwards instead of wingers. They aren't stars yet, but would terrorize the premier league defenses when played off each other. Martial more of a creator, with Rashford stretching the line as a poacher. We'd be far better off having spent that 75m (plus addons) on a position of need which is a wide superstar or even proper wingbacks. Pair in a veteran forward to bring-on in games where they aren't performing and we'd have a pretty solid team this year.

You still have Blind, Bailly if somehow Smalling & Jones are out injured at the same time. After Dec. Rojo is back, which is when we'd miss Bailly. We don't have the wing backs to play 3-5-2 well so not sure why we need additional depth. Axel & TFM are capable defenders in a pinch. Yet he chose not to sell any of the players he "didn't trust" & still bought which is just poor use of funds.

This is why you have a DOF. Not all managers are like SAF & have David Gill supporting them. All Mourinho is thinking is I'm winning the title in my 3 years. Regardless of how that leaves us as a club after that period.
LVG proved it could be done? He fecking destroyed us.

Footyislife

LVG proved it could be done? He fecking destroyed us.
Did you not watch Martial & Rashford with LVG? Regardless of his failures with the rest of the team, he showcased the talent Martial & Rashford have being played in the right positions. But our new manager decided to take two forwards and play them as wingers with limited FB support, because why risk changing your style to put your players in their best positions, when you can spend a ton of money to overhaul the team and then have the luxury to complain you didn't have enough money.

FFS, City deserves the success because they have competent people running the club. We just have a group that wants to be financially successful minimizing the risks. Which is why we have the terrible decisions from a football perspective.

haram

Did you not watch Martial & Rashford with LVG? Regardless of his failures with the rest of the team, he showcased the talent Martial & Rashford have being played in the right positions. But our new manager decided to take two forwards and play them as wingers with limited FB support, because why risk changing your style to put your players in their best positions, when you can spend a ton of money to overhaul the team and then have the luxury to complain you didn't have enough money?
Yes I saw our team being built around Martial. It's not going to happen now. Besides we were fecking shit under van gaal.

Footyislife

Yes I saw our team being built around Martial. It's not going to happen now. Besides we were fecking shit under van gaal.
Yeah us being terrible under LVG, wasn't because Martial or Rashford were being played as forwards. The issue was the rest of the team was played out of position & the tactical philosophy being too slow & conservative.

haram

Yeah us being terrible under LVG, wasn't because Martial or Rashford were being played as forwards. The issue was the rest of the team was played out of position & the tactical philosophy being too slow & conservative.
Part of the reason Martial had such a standout season was because the team was geared to getting him space and 1 on 1 with fullbacks. It's not going to happen now. Van Gaal's nonsense of playing players like Blackett because they were left footed was part of his whole deluded philosophy.