Someone's slashed Huntley's throat!

032Devil

Ian Huntley's throat slashed by fellow inmates

BREAKING NEWS: Soham murderer Ian Huntley in hospital after having throat slashed | Mail Online

Soham murderer Ian Huntley's throat is slashed in attack by fellow inmate

Attacked: Double murderer Ian Huntley, 36, was rushed to hospital after his throat was slashed by another inmate

Ian Huntley was seriously ill in hospital last night after his throat was slashed by a fellow prisoner.

The Soham killer was attacked from behind with a home-made blade in Frankland Prison.

Guards at the ultra-high security jail in County Durham were alerted by screams at 3.25pm. They found Huntley, jailed for life for the murder of ten-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in 2002, lying in a pool of blood.
His throat had been deeply cut and officers believed at first that he would not survive. He was rushed to an outside hospital where doctors say he is expected to pull through.

A prison source said: 'It was horrific. There was blood everywhere. It was the worst thing I have ever seen. I thought there was no way he could survive.'

It is the latest in a string of assaults on 36-year-old Huntley. Last night questions were being asked about how another prisoner was able to launch such an attack when Huntley is supposed to be under constant surveillance for his own protection.

The target of numerous death threats, he is meant to have a two-man guard whenever he ventures out of his cell in the jail's health care wing.
Last week three prison officers were stabbed in an attack at the jail and officials ordered a painstaking search for weapons in every cell, which was due to be carried out today.

There was speculation last night that Huntley's attacker took his last chance to strike, knowing his blade would be discovered within hours.

A prisoner was arrested at the scene shortly after the attack and was being questioned on suspicion of attempted murder.

The fact that he was also in the high-security prison suggests the attacker is himself guilty of an extremely serious crime.

Huntley is considered one of Britain's most high-risk prisoners, not only from attacks by other convicts but because he had made three suicide attempts.

He has suffered a string of serious assaults since his conviction in 2003, despite spending much of his sentence in solitary confinement.

He was left with serious burns after boiling water was tipped over him and has narrowly escaped being stabbed and badly beaten.

Huntley is allowed to mix with other prisoners only once they have been risk assessed. He is said to be close to William McNamee, a Glasgow drifter who was jailed in 2001 for two killings in four days, including strangling his deaf-mute lover.

In addition to the attacks, Huntley has made three attempts to take his own life.

He took antidepressant pills at Woodhill Prison, Buckinghamshire, in 2003, prompting a major inquiry into how he was able to hoard the drugs which he was supposed to take daily.

In 2008 he was switched from Wakefield Prison, West Yorkshire, to Frankland, just outside the city of Durham.

Within weeks of arriving, Huntley was given privileges which others would take months of good behaviour to earn.

They include a private room within the health care wing. Rather than being forced to wear uniform, he and other inmates are allowed their own choice of designer clothes.

Officers guarding Huntley have been told by the governor to treat him - and fellow inmates - as 'extensions of their family' and use their first names or address them as 'Mr'.

The officers were also instructed to 'humour' Huntley and to play games such as chess, darts and Scrabble with him because, until recently, he could not associate with other prisoners.

Three meals a day, chosen by Huntley from an extensive menu, are delivered to the 12ft x 10ft room where the pressures of serving a double life sentence are alleviated by his personal Freeview TV, a Sony CD player, stereo and Nintendo games console.

Police believe Huntley may have killed the girls in a fit of rage after a row with his then girlfriend, Maxine Carr

Inside the cell, which is under constant CCTV surveillance, are photographs of his ex-lover Maxine Carr, with whom he is said to be 'obsessed'.
Last night the Prison Service refused to name the hospital where Huntley is being treated, for security reasons. It said his condition was 'not thought to be life-threatening'.

The Category A prison holds 700 men, among them some of the most dangerous in the country.

An inspection in February 2008 said 'extremely challenging' inmates included 'those with affiliations to gangs or a history of extreme violence, those convicted of serious sexual offences, a few with convictions for terrorist offences and some with severe personality disorders'.

Last week's attack there was launched by an inmate wielding a shard of glass.

Prison officer Craig Wylde, 28, almost bled to death from a severed artery in his arm, a woman colleague was stabbed in the back and another man was slashed across the face after bravely rugby-tackling the prisoner.
A prison target since the day he was arrested

Ian Huntley's notoriety has made him a constant target inside high-security prisons since the day of his arrest.

The horrific double murder of Soham schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman inspired such hatred that inmates vowed he would never be safe.
He was kept in an isolated cell for the first six years of his two life sentences, but the first attack came within months of his 2003 conviction.
Huntley, now 36, was smashed in the face while in the maximum security Belmarsh Prison in South London in 2004.

Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were murdered by Ian Huntley in 2002
A year later an inmate poured boiling water over him in the hospital wing at Wakefield Prison, West Yorkshire.

The former school caretaker was left with severe burns but his alleged attacker, a convicted rapist, escaped prosecution after he claimed he acted in self-defence.

In two further attacks in 2005, he was kicked in the face in the prison workshop and assaulted in the showers.

This time he fought back and broke his assailant's nose. Both incidents happened at Wakefield.

He was then ambushed as he returned to his cell at the Category A jail after a meal in October 2006.

A prisoner held a plastic knife which had been pared and honed for sharpness to his neck and tried to stab him, but Huntley managed to escape.
Next, a Wakefield prison guard suffered a broken nose shielding Huntley from a Somali rapist who attempted to beat him days after another inmate tried to smash him in the face with a mug.

Huntley has also attempted suicide inside jail three times.

These included downing 32 anti- depressants at HMP Woodhill in Buckinghamshire before his murder trial and another massive overdose in 2006 at Wakefield.

He is now in HMP Frankland, near Durham, where he was only moved out of his private isolation cell last year.

Huntley lured schoolgirls Holly and Jessica into his caretaker's cottage on August 4, 2002, where he murdered them and destroyed the evidence.
Police believe he may have killed them in a fit of rage after a furious row with his then girlfriend Maxine Carr, who was their teaching assistant.
Their bodies were found in a ditch two weeks later after he tried to burn them to hide his crimes.

Twelve hours later their clothing was discovered at Soham Village College in Cambridgeshire, where Huntley worked, and he was arrested.

After his trial, it was revealed that he had been investigated for nine sex offences before the Soham murders. He had been accused of four times of rape, once of assaulting an 11-year-old girl and four times of having sex with under-age girls.

But police and other authorities had failed to investigate these properly before he was appointed as a school caretaker.

A Government inquiry into the failings led to a series of recommendations which resulted in draconian checks for anyone with official involvement with children, from teachers and care workers to parents who coach children's football teams.

Huntley initially claimed he was mentally unfit to stand trial for his crimes.
But the psychiatrist who assessed him said in court that although he had 'made clear attempts to appear insane', he had 'no doubt that the man currently, and at the time of the murders, was both physically and mentally sound'.

Mr Justice Moses said Huntley was a 'calculated and callous' murderer, adding: 'You showed no mercy and you show no regret.'

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

When in prison, watch out for shanks.

Obviously this type of 'justice' is not something I approve of but im sure there are plenty of people who wouldnt mind if he had an unfortunate accident.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Have to say i cant see why Huntley's in there at all

You'd have thought by now he'd have done his 'licence' and been out under a nicely assumed new life and a free man

He did destroy two little lives - surely a perfect example of a, victim, sorry I mean fiend, that could be fully 'rehabilitated'

I'd say he's done enough time by now, what 2003, so tha's 3 years for each little girl

poor fecker

topper

Clown

You'd have thought by now he'd have done his 'licence' and been out under a nicely assumed new life and a free man

He did destroy two little lives - surely a perfect example of a, victim, sorry I mean fiend, that could be fully 'rehabilitated'

I'd say he's done enough time by now, what 2003, so tha's 3 years for each little girl

poor fecker
no need to take the piss Jopub - the Authorities need 8 years for rehabilitation to work so it'll be at least 4 years per child. Ample punishment to satisfy your blood lust

Jopub

no need to take the piss Jopub - the Authorities need 8 years for rehabilitation to work so it'll be at least 4 years per child. Ample punishment to satisfy your blood lust
Add a zero onto each one and I'll concede , just for a second, there might be some justice in there

....otherwise one bullet - just the one would do

Moriarty

Add a zero onto each one and I'll concede , just for a second, there might be some justice in there

No. Life without the possibilty of parole is a just sentence. This creep will have to live the rest of his life wondering if someone is going to finish him off.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't be silly.

You can't compare the chances of rehabiliting an adult child murderer with a history of paedophilia with the chances of two 10 year old kids being rehabilitated. To do so is ludicrous.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Butlin's and a Wii at the very least.
Draconian...

deserved it.

the man should have been executed years ago.

I (genuinely) hope you guys never get falsely condemned - something which inevitably happens in any justice system - and then gruesomely murdered. But if you do, you won't have any cause to feel hard done by as the knife/bullet goes in.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

poor fecker
You do know he was sentenced to life with a minimum tariff of 40 years right?

Ixion

Shame he survived, hopefully someone gets it right one day.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
Draconian...

I (genuinely) hope you guys never get falsely condemned - something which inevitably happens in any justice system - and then gruesomely murdered. But if you do, you won't have any cause to feel hard done by as the knife/bullet goes in.
Who has been falsely condemned?

If ever there was a case for some rough justice surely even the most namby pamby liberal lets rehabilitate the poor little nonce brigade should want this cnut cut to ribbons.

Plechazunga

Who has been falsely condemned?
Plenty of people. It's inevitable in any justice system.

If ever there was a case for some rough justice surely even the most namby pamby liberal lets rehabilitate the poor little nonce brigade should want this cnut cut to ribbons.
Nope, don't want anyone 'cut to ribbons', prison will do fine.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Shame he survived, hopefully someone gets it right one day.
It's what he wants though. He is trying to kill himself constantly either by his own hand or through 'death by inmate'.
I don't think he should get what he wants. I think he should be looked at in another thirty five years and then either released or the key be thrown away depending on whether he has been rehabilitated or not, which I seriously doubt will have happened.
Interesting how the rapists seem to be the ones trying to kill him the most often...perhaps it's just the demographic of the company he must keep.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
• Stefan Kiszko served 16 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the 1975 murder of the schoolgirl Lesley Molseed in West Yorkshire. He was freed on appeal in 1992. Later, Ronald Castree's DNA was found to match samples taken from semen on the 11-year-old's clothes. He was jailed for life for the murder in 2007. Kiszko, who had a very low mental age, dies of a heart attack shortly after being released from prison.

• Stephen Downing was jailed for 27 years for beating to death the typist Wendy Sewell in Bakewell. His conviction was quashed in 2002 after a campaign by the then editor of the Matlock Mercury, Don Hale, who said Downing had been interviewed without legal representation and his signed confession had been written by a police officer.
• Derek Bentley, 19, was hanged for involvement in the murder of the police constable Sidney Miles in 1953. His family campaigned to clear his name, saying he had severe learning difficulties and a mental age of 11. In 1998, his conviction was overturned by the court of appeal because the trial judge had misdirected the jury on points of law.

• Judith Ward spent 18 years in jail for the IRA killing of 12 people on board an army coach on the M62 in February 1973. Her conviction was quashed in 1992 after her lawyers argued the trial jury should have been told of her history of mental illness. Three appeal court judges concluded Ward's conviction had been "secured by ambush" and that government forensic scientists withheld vital information.

• Babysitter Suzanne Holdsworth spent three years in prison for murdering Kyle Fisher, a neighbour's two-year-old son, before she was cleared in a retrial last year. She had been jailed for life after being convicted in 2005 of killing the toddler by repeatedly banging his head against a wooden bannister at her Hartlepool home. The appeal court ruled her conviction was unsafe after new medical evidence emerged suggesting Kyle may have died from an epileptic seizure. She was found not guilty at the retrial.

• Angela Cannings was jailed for life in 2002 for murdering her two baby sons, but freed the following year after her conviction was overturned on appeal. Cannings from Salisbury, Wiltshire, was convicted of murdering seven-week-old Jason in 1991, and 18-week-old Matthew in 1999. She always maintained the two boys died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (Sids) or cot death.

• The solicitor Sally Clark was jailed for murdering her two baby sons, and cleared by the appeal court in 2003. The mother, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, had always protested her innocence since being jailed for life in November 1999. She was convicted of smothering 11-week-old Christopher in December 1996 and shaking eight-week-old Harry to death in January 1998. In 2007, she was found dead at her home. Her family said she had never recovered from the ordeal.

Not to mention all of the "innocent until proven Irish" terrorism convictions. Of course stringing them up tends to reduce the complaining.

Jopub

Draconian...

Actually I did get falsely accused of something many many years ago and the police did a right fking number on me and it scared me shitless

They admitted getting it wrong, after banging me up for a few days without so much as an apology, and of course machined every effort I made to seek some public admission of wrongdoing from them

So although nothing as immense as these cases I do know, to some extent, how that feels to have your liberty taken away within a blink of an eye

However for premeditated murdering bastards where there is absolutely no doubt about the actual conviction (as in Huntley's case) I see no reason at all to keep them alive

none

Jopub

• Stefan Kiszko served 16 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the 1975 murder of the schoolgirl Lesley Molseed in West Yorkshire. He was freed on appeal in 1992. Later, Ronald Castree's DNA was found to match samples taken from semen on the 11-year-old's clothes. He was jailed for life for the murder in 2007. Kiszko, who had a very low mental age, dies of a heart attack shortly after being released from prison.

• Stephen Downing was jailed for 27 years for beating to death the typist Wendy Sewell in Bakewell. His conviction was quashed in 2002 after a campaign by the then editor of the Matlock Mercury, Don Hale, who said Downing had been interviewed without legal representation and his signed confession had been written by a police officer.
• Derek Bentley, 19, was hanged for involvement in the murder of the police constable Sidney Miles in 1953. His family campaigned to clear his name, saying he had severe learning difficulties and a mental age of 11. In 1998, his conviction was overturned by the court of appeal because the trial judge had misdirected the jury on points of law.

• Judith Ward spent 18 years in jail for the IRA killing of 12 people on board an army coach on the M62 in February 1973. Her conviction was quashed in 1992 after her lawyers argued the trial jury should have been told of her history of mental illness. Three appeal court judges concluded Ward's conviction had been "secured by ambush" and that government forensic scientists withheld vital information.

• Babysitter Suzanne Holdsworth spent three years in prison for murdering Kyle Fisher, a neighbour's two-year-old son, before she was cleared in a retrial last year. She had been jailed for life after being convicted in 2005 of killing the toddler by repeatedly banging his head against a wooden bannister at her Hartlepool home. The appeal court ruled her conviction was unsafe after new medical evidence emerged suggesting Kyle may have died from an epileptic seizure. She was found not guilty at the retrial.

• Angela Cannings was jailed for life in 2002 for murdering her two baby sons, but freed the following year after her conviction was overturned on appeal. Cannings from Salisbury, Wiltshire, was convicted of murdering seven-week-old Jason in 1991, and 18-week-old Matthew in 1999. She always maintained the two boys died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (Sids) or cot death.

• The solicitor Sally Clark was jailed for murdering her two baby sons, and cleared by the appeal court in 2003. The mother, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, had always protested her innocence since being jailed for life in November 1999. She was convicted of smothering 11-week-old Christopher in December 1996 and shaking eight-week-old Harry to death in January 1998. In 2007, she was found dead at her home. Her family said she had never recovered from the ordeal.

Not to mention all of the "innocent until proven Irish" terrorism convictions. Of course stringing them up tends to reduce the complaining.
Mmm but when the crime is premeditated and unarguable and been admitted, that's a different matter entirely imo of course

Plechazunga

Actually I did get falsely accused of something many many years ago and the police did a right fking number on me and it scared me shitless

They admitted getting it wrong, after banging me up for a few days without so much as an apology, and of course machined every effort I made to seek some public admission of wrongdoing from them

So although nothing as immense as these cases I do know, to some extent, how that feels to have your liberty taken away within a blink of an eye
Lucky for you they didn't shoot you.

However for premeditated murdering bastards where there is absolutely no doubt about the actual conviction (as in Huntley's case) I see no reason at all to keep them alive
There's never absolutely no doubt. About anything, except maths.

Frosty

Mmm but when the crime is premeditated and unarguable and been admitted, that's a different matter entirely imo of course
The Birmingham Six and Guildford Four come to mind there. They were jailed for premeditated crimes that they had confessed to. They still didn't do it.

Scholesgoals

none
Quite simply,

A man has no right over another mans life.

You are not the ultimate moral authority when it comes to decisions made on anothers life. You are a murderer yourself.

See films like the green mile and the life of david gale as examples of this.

Frosty

Quite simply,

A man has no right over another mans life.

You are not the ultimate moral authority when it comes to decisions made on anothers life. You are a murderer yourself.

See films like the green mile and the life of david gale as examples of this.
That's debatable, really dependent upon whether you take a Kantian view of morality or favour a utilitarian/social contract version. Basically, you could make an argument stating that people could deserve to die for their crimes.

Cheltenham Red

I think many people would view things very differently if they had children or family members hurt by these monsters.It is easy to remain calm and call for leniency when you have never experienced what these freaks can do to the life of a family who have suffered at their hands.

Plechazunga

I think many people would view things very differently if they had children or family members hurt by these monsters.It is easy to remain calm and call for leniency when you have never experienced what these monsters can do to the life of a family who have suffered at their hands.
I've no doubt I would, thankfully I live in a country where victims of crime - the least impartial people involved - get no say over judgement or sentencing.

Cheltenham Red

I've no doubt I would, thankfully I live in a country where victims of crime - the least impartial people involved - get no say over judgement or sentencing.
so in the case of Huntley you think it's acceptable to have him live his life in relative comfort after what he did to those poor girls.

His punishment for killing those beautifull young girls is to lose his freedom but to be kept warm,fed and clothed for the rest of his life,thats sound fair to you?

Plechazunga

I think it's acceptable to have him spend the rest of his life confined in prison, which is what's actually likely to happen.

The case will never sit well, no, because like all murders, especially of children, it's a tragedy with no possible satisfying ending - to me at any rate... you would no doubt be satisfied with some sort of grisly mediaeval-style bloodletting.

032Devil

Nope, don't want anyone 'cut to ribbons', prison will do fine.

Free meals (cooked for you)
Free rehabilitation (addictions)
Free laundry
Free TV
Free latest cinema releases
Free gym facilities
Free medicine (including drugs)
Free education
Free cources
Free game stations
Free protection (he had 2 personal guards)

No council tax, no income tax, no rent, no bills

and if your have mental health problems your mollycoddled even further

The only real downside is loss of freedom but that aside have I missed anything?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm thinking of going on a murderous rampage just to get the free holiday.