Son Heung-min | arm no longer broken | heart could be

Charlie Foley

I don’t think the drama is as bad as you say.

He was brilliant before conte. Sometimes a player (or any employee for that matter) just doesn’t like their managers style or approach etc.
He was brilliant before conte. Sometimes a player (or any employee for that matter) just doesn’t like their managers style or approach etc.

Fire conte / old son returns - keep conte and you’ll get this
Good point. I’d also add that sometimes a player (or any employee for that matter) just doesn’t like their managers style or approach etc.

SAFMUTD

He's shit, lost pace and his game depends very much on it so I don't think he'll improve much from the form we're currently seeing.

Threesus

Could be similar to rashford from last year. 85% including me thought he was finished.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His type of player was never going to excel under Conte though was he?

GlasgowCeltic

was weird watching him at the WC, he obviously must be S.Koreas best player but he looked technically a level below all his teammates

el3mel

Could be similar to rashford from last year. 85% including me thought he was finished.
The difference is Son is 30 years old while Rashford is 25.

He's washed out and imo it's a big reason why Spurs went down hill. They were so reliant on both him and Kane that now with one of them done for and the other wanting to leave for more than 2 years, they're done for.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
The difference is Son is 30 years old while Rashford is 25.

He's washed out and imo it's a big reason why Spurs went down hill. They were so reliant on both him and Kane that now with one of them done for and the other wanting to leave for more than 2 years, they're done for.
I am a little surprised Son hasn't moved on by now. I don't know if he's the type to, but it seemed like Spurs shouldn't have been his final step up.
Then again, maybe he's grateful for how they handled his military duties and can't abandon them anymore.

But while many talk about players making big moves too soon, I often wonder about players leaving too late. I wonder if he and Kane are those kind of players and will simply not show the type of adaptation needed at a bigger club when they do make the move, it's been too long since they've had to prove themselves as one of the better players in the team and such things could bite just as hard as the step being too big when moving too early.

el3mel

I am a little surprised Son hasn't moved on by now. I don't know if he's the type to, but it seemed like Spurs shouldn't have been his final step up.
Then again, maybe he's grateful for how they handled his military duties and can't abandon them anymore.

But while many talk about players making big moves too soon, I often wonder about players leaving too late. I wonder if he and Kane are those kind of players and will simply not show the type of adaptation needed at a bigger club when they do make the move, it's been too long since they've had to prove themselves as one of the better players in the team and such things could bite just as hard as the step being too big when moving too early.
I think Kane has fecked up his chance of leaving to a bigger club. It should have happened a long time ago, but now that he's 29 years old, I don't think he'll have it in him to start from scratch at a different environment, and I doubt many top clubs will stay interested. It's really shame, he could have achieved a lot more than this. (Not that he's without faults you know, he has always been disappointing in games when it mattered the most).

As for Son, I don't actually see anyone interested in him once he leave. I bet he'll leave England, maybe join a Serie A club or something, otherwise I can see him ending at a midtable club in PL if anything. Great player in his prime alright, but he's washed out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’ll score 5 in 5 in a few months and half of you will be talking about how he’s the most underrated player in the league again. Purple patch player

BlueHaze

I think Kane has fecked up his chance of leaving to a bigger club. It should have happened a long time ago, but now that he's 29 years old, I don't think he'll have it in him to start from scratch at a different environment, and I doubt many top clubs will stay interested. It's really shame, he could have achieved a lot more than this. (Not that he's without faults you know, he has always been disappointing in games when it mattered the most).

As for Son, I don't actually see anyone interested in him once he leave. I bet he'll leave England, maybe join a Serie A club or something, otherwise I can see him ending at a midtable club in PL if anything. Great player in his prime alright, but he's washed out.
I agree but 29 is not that old for a striker, only worry with him is his recent ankle injuries. I think he will be a solid reliable goalscorer for at least 4 more years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Prayers for Son and his 39 broken bones after touching the ball in todays match.

el3mel

I agree but 29 is not that old for a striker, only worry with him is his recent ankle injuries. I think he will be a solid reliable goalscorer for at least 4 more years.
I agree alright but the problem is which top club will be interested in investing ton of money in someone approaching 30s ? Real Madrid did it in Hazard for example and see how this ended, I doubt they will be interested in trying it again.

The longer he stayed there, the harder he made it for himself to leave.

The summer he asked for a transfer 2 years ago was the perfect opportunity for him to move on to Man City and for Spurs to take the money and rebuild the team. I bet both of them would have been in better situation now,

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’ll score 5 in 5 in a few months and half of you will be talking about how he’s the most underrated player in the league again. Purple patch player
Wouldn't say that. In the past two or three seasons he's been pretty consistent over the course of a season in terms of goals and assists which are fairly spread out. This season he's just dropped quite badly. Physically he looks worse.

BlueHaze

I agree alright but the problem is which top club will be interested in investing ton of money in someone approaching 30s ? Real Madrid did it in Hazard for example and see how this ended, I doubt they will be interested in trying it again.

The longer he stayed there, the harder he made it for himself to leave.

The summer he asked for a transfer 2 years ago was the perfect opportunity for him to move on to Man City and for Spurs to take the money and rebuild the team. I bet both of them would have been in better situation now,
His biggest mistake was signing that long extension of his contract when he fully well knows how it's nearly impossible to negotiate with Levy. Had he not done that he would 100% have been at City.

Munkehboi

Kane will be like RVP was to us for someone if he leaves in the summer.

Son however relies on his pace whihc he is starting to lose and I see a similar trajectory as Alex's Sanchez for him.

Wouldn't say that. In the past two or three seasons he's been pretty consistent over the course of a season in terms of goals and assists which are fairly spread out. This season he's just dropped quite badly. Physically he looks worse.
Last season, he had 11 league goals in 25 games at the end of March. And then he hit 12 in the next 10 to take the Golden Boot. In 2020/21, he scored 11 goals in the first 10 games when everyone thought Mourinho would be competing for the title. Then he went on a run of 2 in 16. Even in 2019/20, when he only scored 10 league goals all season, this included three separate streaks of goals in consecutive games (including a 4-in-3) and two droughts of 5+ games.

Definitely one of the streakiest goalscorers in the world, might even be the best example around of a "purple patch player". The only surprise this season is that he didn't follow up that hattrick against Leicester with 5 in the next 2 before settling down for the drought.

And DWelbz is spot on about the Internet lining up to bring out the "most underrated player in the league, such a nice guy too, plays with a smile on his face!!" nonsense whenever he hits a hot run. Just need to hope this latest dry run doesn't frustrate the nice guy into kicking opposition players in the nuts again :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Last season, he had 11 league goals in 25 games at the end of March. And then he hit 12 in the next 10 to take the Golden Boot. In 2020/21, he scored 11 goals in the first 10 games when everyone thought Mourinho would be competing for the title. Then he went on a run of 2 in 16. Even in 2019/20, when he only scored 10 league goals all season, this included three separate streaks of goals in consecutive games (including a 4-in-3) and two droughts of 5+ games.

Definitely one of the streakiest goalscorers in the world, might even be the best example around of a "purple patch player". The only surprise this season is that he didn't follow up that hattrick against Leicester with 5 in the next 2 before settling down for the drought.

And DWelbz is spot on about the Internet lining up to bring out the "most underrated player in the league, such a nice guy too, plays with a smile on his face!!" nonsense whenever he hits a hot run. Just need to hope this latest dry run doesn't frustrate the nice guy into kicking opposition players in the nuts again :lol:
If you read my post you would have seen I said goals and assists. He only went around 2-3 games before scoring or assisting again. I think that’s pretty decent.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
From golden boot to an utter ghost. Has there ever been a bigger decline from one season to the next in the PL?
Cristiano’s was pretty drastic (although more understandable).

If you read my post you would have seen I said goals and assists. He only went around 2-3 games before scoring or assisting again. I think that’s pretty decent.
I read your post. Read mine where I say "streakiest goalscorers", because that's what Son's known for (if ~10 goals+10 assists was the benchmark to be called world class, this forum would have stopped shitting on Rashford four years ago :wenger:) and where he has a clear and established boom-bust cycle.

Even if you want to include assists, in 20/21 it was 10 goals and 4 assists in 11 games, then 3 and 5 in 16. He was playing rubbish for much of that second spell, too.

21/22 was the first season in his career where he was legitimately one of the best players in the league. And he's followed it up with a complete disasterpiece this time around

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I read your post. Read mine where I say "streakiest goalscorers", because that's what Son's known for (if ~10 goals+10 assists was the benchmark to be called world class, this forum would have stopped shitting on Rashford four years ago :wenger:) and where he has a clear and established boom-bust cycle.

Even if you want to include assists, in 20/21 it was 10 goals and 4 assists in 11 games, then 3 and 5 in 16. He was playing rubbish for much of that second spell, too.

21/22 was the first season in his career where he was legitimately one of the best players in the league. And he's followed it up with a complete disasterpiece this time around
I wasn't refuting that though. I just don't think that his stats warrant being called a purple patch player. That should be afforded to someone like Lingard who has had several seasons in his career where he's done nothing for a season but has a month or two within it where he's managed c. 10 G + A. I don't think it should be afforded to players who are achieving 20+ G + A three seasons in a row where the stats are fairly distributed over the season. If we start calling Son a purple patch player then we may aswell start labelling most of the league as one.

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Rashford has everything Son has except for his mentality, maybe a coach like Conte would get it out of him.
Are you steaming? He isn’t half the player Son is.
No, I'm not steaming :lol:

It's easy to feel incredulous at my statement when Son is in his peak and best form of his life, whilst Rashford is probably in the worst form of his but lest we forget that Son is 5.5 years older than Rashford. Son wasn't the player he is now when he was 24 and if you look at their respective records up to that age then they're not too dissimilar(perhaps skewed by Rashford switching between LW and ST). Having seen every single minute Son has played for Spurs and plenty of Rashford I can honestly say that in terms of sheer ability there's really not that much between them at all. Son doesn't actually have many strings to his bow, in 80% of the game he's in fact decidedly very average, thankfully for us though he's among the elite in the other, arguably most important, 20%. Technically and physically/athletically there isn't much between them, @Scroto Baggins makes a good point about Son being better off his weaker foot which makes him a dual-threat in certain situations but I'd also say Rashford's first touch, quick link-up play and close-quarter dribbling are all better than Son's - who can often look like he's trying to control an air-hockey puck.

I did qualify my statement with the suggestion that Rashford doesn't appear to have Son's mentality, a facet which is necessary for talent to flourish on a consistent basis. Maybe Rashford has just totally lost his focus and drive, or maybe he needs a change of scenery/different voice. It won't happen for many reasons(Son being one of them) but I reckon Conte would get way more out of him than what you're currently seeing.

Yeah, I don't know why he took my post that way but that's not what I was implying. My point was purely in terms of what Conte could do with a player of Rashford's ability, nothing to do with Son whose mentality has never been in question and has been playing at this level for 2-3 seasons now.

The main difference I see between the two are that one is in great form while the other is in a rut and Son has a clear drive to keep making those runs and making the most of his ability, whereas Rashford seems to be more focused on scoring PR points rather than goals. Son's positive attitude on and off the pitch are infectious as well, you could argue the same for Rashford but at the other end of the spectrum.
There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.
Thanks. Rashford isn't fit to lace Son's boots and it's embarrassing to see a Spurs fan suggest otherwise. Son has been one of the very best in his position in the league for years and would get into most sides in Europe. Rashford would not, whether he is coached by Conte or not.
Why have none of these top sides ever tried to sign him then?

As I said, he is elite in one or two areas of the game. Give him space to run in behind and he will punish teams because he's lightning quick and clinical, he also strikes the ball equally well off either foot. Ask him to contribute in possession though or create something against teams who sit back and limit his space then more often than not he'll have very little effect on the game and you'll barely notice he's even playing. Rashford at 22 already matched(albeit with a few penalties) Son's best output in a season so on what basis can you definitively claim that he'll never get anywhere near Son's level? He's already shown he can, he hasn't been able to do it as consistently as what Son is now doing in his late 20s but that comes with age, Son wasn't this good five yeas ago either. Rashford may never get there but if he doesn't it won't be because he lacks the ability, it'll be because he lacked the mentality to make the most of his talent.

I don't know what's going on with Rashford, maybe he will drop off the face of the Earth in the same way that Dele Alli has but for anyone who can remember beyond last week, he is still a player with all the attributes to be amongst the upper echelon of wide forwards.
This is just crazy talk. Tell me then what aspects of Rashford's game are elite?
Right now, none of them, which is why it's probably futile for me to keep carrying on with this.

As I recall though, I said he has the qualities to be as good as Son, not that he already is. Rashford does exactly what Son does but not yet at the same consistency. He makes the same out-to-in runs behind the opposition and finishes, or he cuts inside and whips the ball into the far corner. You don't score the free-kick he scored at Chelsea a couple of seasons back without having elite level shooting technique, he's not there yet in terms of Son's composure in front of goal but like I keep saying, he's 5-6 years younger than Son. This is a player who scored 17 in the league two seasons ago and 6 in 6 in the CL last season, yet because he's hit a rut you act as though I'm gassing up Andros Townsend.

Mentality is everything in football so if he doesn't have it then his talent will account for very little but if he does sort himself out then I see no reason why he couldn't reach Son's level.
That's fair, though the difference between the two is certainly heightened by them currently being at complete opposite ends of the form spectrum.

I'm definitely not a fan of Rashford's on-pitch demeanour, he comes across as a moody teen. Needs to cheer the feck up and crack a smile once in a while.
Doesn't look so crazy now huh ...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Do you think Son is going the way of Alexis Sánchez?

He looks shot, he's a hard worker and has played virtually non stop

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Hat trick today.

Instead of chasing Kane all summer we should've focused our attention on him.