Son Heung-min | arm no longer broken | heart could be

Smores

To be honest i still think it's a foul. It was embarrassing theatrics but that type of foul gets given all the time these days. We're not above it ourselves.

The travesty is using VAR to rule out goals because of incidents like that. Its such a minor infringement that if the ref doesn't see it then just let it stand. Spurs weren't disadvantaged by it, it didn't help us score so why rule the goal out?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Posters have made the argument that Son’s actions were more egregious because he stayed down for so long, and tbh that is a fair point. There is a difference and there was no excuse for what Son did. Still I don’t see how you look at that and think the ref should have blown for a foul on Fernandes.
Yeap. He's guilty of this at times, our Bruno. Ole might need to have a word. Ronaldo used to do it loads in his early months at United but toughened up and became the player that he is today.

Dan_F

Slight contact? He had his ankle stepped on. One of many the shit ref let go throughout
He had his boot kicked slightly, if you’re talking that incident with Lucas Mora. It was a possible foul, but let’s not try and pretend it warranted Bruno rolling on the floor.

kopviolator

To be honest i still think it's a foul. It was embarrassing theatrics but that type of foul gets given all the time these days. We're not above it ourselves.

The travesty is using VAR to rule out goals because of incidents like that. Its such a minor infringement that if the ref doesn't see it then just let it stand. Spurs weren't disadvantaged by it, it didn't help us score so why rule the goal out?
Well put. I don't think anyone would've complained to much if the ref had decided it was a foul right away. But the ridiculous interpretation afterwards is infuriating. VAR does more harm than good, period.

Abraxas

I think this is the key point, not so much whether the isolated incident was a foul by the letter of the law, but the interpretation of how VAR should be used.

We can all understand how a handball in the box resulting in a goal, or a clear foul directly resulting in a goalscoring chance, or a player using the opposition as a stepladder or barging into the keeper on a set piece directly precedes a goal and therefore it is right to assess the immediately preceding incident and take a view.

At what point do they say...what has gone has gone and get on with it? McTominay is past Son, it is not an incident that has resulted in anything other than the ball in the final third of the pitch which we have every opportunity to mess up and Spurs have every opportunity to defend. Maybe we roll the footage back another 5 seconds and a Tottenham player makes a foul, would that then overrule McTominays "foul"? It seems completely arbitrary to me given the ref has to make decisions on marginal incidents dozens of times per game and yet VAR is given to forensically analyse a situation like this that has been and gone and not directly related to the goal any more than the previous few minutes.

I think managers have something to answer for as they will bring up stuff like this after the game and criticise the refs. What would Jose have said if it was given? They'll pinpoint on anything that could have been given for their side in the run up to a goal despite the fact that the decisions are often a 0% factor in the goal going in. I think the ultra critical climate is one aspect of why we have VAR investigations into decisions that seem way beyond the scope of eliminating clear and obvious errors.

kiristao

Well put. I don't think anyone would've complained to much if the ref had decided it was a foul right away. But the ridiculous interpretation afterwards is infuriating. VAR does more harm than good, period.
Of course there would not have been as much complaining because we would not have had a goal scored. Having said that, people would still have been upset as literally 2 mins before that Rashford was hit in the face with much more contact and nothing was given.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

Exactly, also like it was already said elsewhere, by Keano I think the refs are under much higher pressure now, they are just not confident anymore about things. VAR is still new so there is still plenty of space to refine the otherwise fairer tool, I am pretty convinced it will come good in the end.

Just no idea in this case that they classified it as a obvious error like it is in the rules, looks like they just shat their pants from making a mistake because obviously if they blowed whistle right after the fould people might have been angry it stopped the attack but 90% of them would just accept that. In this case, letthe play go. youhad a chance to blow a histle for a foul and you didn´t take it. It is a LITTLE error perhaps at best.

Happy the Ole called them out, we need a bit more pressure on refs, otherwise it would go not the way football should go pretty soon.

TheReligion

Abusive

Was son fouling Mctominay just before in your eyes?

kopviolator

Of course there would not have been as much complaining because we would not have had a goal scored. Having said that, people would still have been upset as literally 2 mins before that Rashford was hit in the face with much more contact and nothing was given.
I mean of course, one of the main grievances with VAR is there's no consistency on when or how it's applied. Rashford incident happend in the penalty box and for some reasons, different set of rules apply there. I don't think I'd call for foul on either but I can understand how some might. What annoys me is this 'clear and obvious mistake' argument in an incident that had no real bearing on the build up and certainly did not lead directly to the goal.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

What VAR did not show was that before McT hit him with a sledgehammer ( a couple of fingers !! ) it was Son who first placed his hand/arm in front of McT's chest and in fact committing a foul first.

I saw the still photo of this on Twitter.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
What VAR did not show was that before McT hit him with a sledgehammer ( a couple of fingers !! ) it was Son who first placed his hand/arm in front of McT's chest and in fact committing a foul first.

I saw the still photo of this on Twitter.
This is what annoys me, if VAR felt the need to check an incident that far back in the build up (eg - not directly resulting in a goal, offside or someone holding back a defender for an easy run etc) then why not go a little further back and show another foul, technically Son fouled McT, and if the ref was competent he'd have played advantage for McT in the first place.

I'm almost positive VAR was introduced for clear and obvious mistakes (offside goals etc) but I guess United fans know more than most that this isn't the case, I think Burnley away ended that.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is what annoys me, if VAR felt the need to check an incident that far back in the build up (eg - not directly resulting in a goal, offside or someone holding back a defender for an easy run etc) then why not go a little further back and show another foul, technically Son fouled McT, and if the ref was competent he'd have played advantage for McT in the first place.

I'm almost positive VAR was introduced for clear and obvious mistakes (offside goals etc) but I guess United fans know more than most that this isn't the case, I think Burnley away ended that.
You are so right!!

RUCK4444

We said at the time Son was actually fouling Scott, trying to pull him back, how the ref ignores that fact and still gives what is a pathetically soft foul on top of that is a disgrace.

Feel a tad for Son even though he’s a cheating feck, because he’s had abuse online and really speaking this is a VAR issue and the clowns that implement it.

People should be taking their frustration out with VAR, not players, players will do whatever to gain an advantage. VAR now provides an opportunity for players to stay down after ridiculously soft contact and force a decision from the refs. It will actually increase the play acting.

Halftrack

On that note, the ref didn't book McTominay for it, so he obviously didn't consider it much of a foul. This would fall under either "clear and obvious error" or "missed incidents." The ref clearly didn't fecking miss it, given that he was staring right at Son and McTominay as it happened, and it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake either, given that he didn't even deem it worthy of a card. So they essentially used VAR to re-referee a decision and retroactively call a minor foul, disallowing a goal in the process. Exactly what they told (and keep telling) us VAR isn't going to be used for.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not sure why people are bringing up Bruno Fernandes here. The guy nearly missed a penalty because he had one eye and yet he wasn't taking it to the level of being unconscious on the floor needing the physio to revive him.
I don’t get it either? Bruno had a red mark on his face and a bloodshot eye and he got up. Son was fine but he stayed down. I think there’s a big difference.

Redlyn

Make a meal of a minor issue and you will get a decision in your favour. That's pretty much what the ref has demonstrated. Son was basically vindicated in his actions as he got a goal chalked off. VAR enables this re-refereeing. The state of football.

Robertd0803

To anyone saying Son didn't use to be this kind of player, he did. It just wasn't as apparent (nor as needed) during their good years under Poch. He's always gone down easily, and he's always had a nasty streak. He might have been encouraged to show that side more by Mourinho, but he's a grown man and he's doing it under his volition.
Ah ok fair enough. I didnt watch/pay attention enough to notice before.

Snuffkin

The whole incident fired us up, the trick now is to play like we did in the second half every game.

Snuffkin

Agree, In the warm up pre game, we should punish pettiness to get players riled up,
Ole should control the narrative before the game like Fergie used to do. Get the players angry and the opposition defeated before they even kicked a ball.

city-puma

What kind of racial abuse did son get online? Is it on Twitter? Are they deleted already?

Suedesi

He's always been a fecking cnut. I've said it before, but the fact that he got more sympathy than the guy whose leg he fecking broke disgusts me to this day. That's not all on him, of course, but he's such an unlikable scrote that I'll blame it on him anyway, the crying wanker.

Eh, you love your own and hate everyone else's. That being said, it's not like Bruno has ever done anything even close to the shit Son pulled yesterday. When you stay down for several minutes, and have the fecking medical team checking on your non-existent injuries because a finger grazed your face, you're in a league of your own.

What annoys me the most is that he's been portrayed as an honest, hard-working player for ages, despite always having been a thuggish cheat.
Quite frankly he didn't do anything quite so different from any cheating player - he exaggerated contact to gain an unfair advantage. It just happened that we scored immediately after, so he had to exaggerate a little bit more than necessary, but cheating is cheating whether it's a dive to gain a penalty or fake injury to prevent a goal. I was fuming when that happened and he rubbed salt into wounds when he scored, but that's football. A day later I can look at it more calmly.

As for your assessment, I agree he's always been a thuggish cheat. Some Everton fan posted in here video evidence that the assault on Andre Gomes was not an isolated incident, he had prior violent tackles against Gomes in the same game and had shown he's capable of reckless tackles when things are not going his way. So he's always been a dirty player in my mind, though I still highly rate him as a footballer cheating antics aside.

city-puma

Stuff aimed at his nationality (which most got wrong), alleging he eats dogs and spreads Covid. A bit about cheating too.

The usual brain-dead shite from keyboard warriors with an IQ of 6.
I am afraid there will never be a solution in the social media era. Those brain-dead shit will always exist.

Redlyn

That is what annoys me. Minor calls are getting re-refereed, I'm not sure it's a good thing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Spurs have the players to give us a real game. They have the personnel to fairly beat us. We're not exactly Pep Barca.

If they played to their potential, it could been a great game. Anyone could win that match.

Instead, in both matches in the league, they decide to be cheating idiots.

Luckily, justice was served this time round.

They're where they are in the league for a reason the cheating cnuts.

van Persie

Inappropriate Behavior
Stuff aimed at his nationality (which most got wrong), alleging he eats dogs and spreads Covid. A bit about cheating too.

The usual brain-dead shite from keyboard warriors with an IQ of 6.
I'm more worried about the people that genuinely take stuff said over the internet seriously in 2021. Any person with a few braincells left would be able to take everything said online with a grain of salt. It brings out the worst in people and very few people that interact online are innocent in this :lol:

It's just easy without suffering any repercussions and shit happens when there's room for impulsive behaviour and people acting in the heat of the moment. People need to loosen up and stop being so fecking uptight, alright?