Son Heung-min | arm no longer broken | heart could be

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rooney and Karim Benzema comparisons. :lol:

I’ll have what he’s smoking

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah but you got to look at the supporting cast and the coach. Benz still had Zidane and a good supporting cast around. The same can’t be said about Son at Spurs.
Real Madrid's attack is completely toothless without Benzema & Zidane relied heavily upon Benzema to pull a rabbit from his arse in every game.

Real Madrid is a Europa League level team & wouldn't even qualify for UCL if Benzema got a long-term injury in past 3 seasons.

I don't really think the comparison works.

Benzema was a massively talented player in his own right who sacrificed his own goal scoring for Ronaldo, creating chances and drawing defenders away with his movement so that Ronaldo could make runs into the box and score goals.

Son is more like Ronaldo than Benzema (not in terms of talent, but in terms of role). He benefits tremendously from Kane, both directly from Kane's assists (9 of his 17 goals were assisted by Kane last year) and indirectly by Kane dropping deep and pulling CBs out of position, giving him opportunities to run behind the defense.
Benzema was the perfect foil and did a lot of support for his attacking partners i.e. Cristiano, but he's always been a very good, top striker on his own. Carried the attacking load for Lyon and then has usually scored double digit goals for RM year in, year our...similar to Wayne Rooney did for United. Son has never been an out and out CF/striker.

Revisionist history at its finest.

Until 2018-19 season, Benzema was consistently an afterthought and he was never rated as a top striker. He only had two 20+ LaLiga goals seasons in 8 years. He got tons of criticism for not scoring enough goals and even Real Madrid fans wanted him gone. It's not Cristiano's/Zidane's fault that Benzema was misfiring in front of goal. At the time when Cristiano left, people genuinely thought Benzema would be "exposed" and not doing as well without Cristiano.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrid-need-to-get-ready-for-a-terrible-season-it’s-happening.439975/page-2#post-22913061
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrid-2018-19-season.440183/#post-22884635
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-now-what-happens-to-karim-benzema.439955/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrids-ronaldo-replacement.439950/

Kane also benefits tremendously from Son. Without Son's lethal finishing, Kane wouldn't have become EPL's top assist provider. It goes both ways.

I love Sonny, but he is nowhere near Benzema in any aspect of his game, yes I am a Fighting Cock member.
Son is a far & away a better goalscorer than 16/17 & 17/18 Benzema. It's the only thing that matters.

And being a more "complete" ≠ better player. Benzema is more complete than Lewy, but almost everyone rates Lewy as the best #9 itw due to his goals.

Rooney and Karim Benzema comparisons. :lol:

I’ll have what he’s smoking
Neither Rooney & Benzema were considered great goalscorers & people assumed they only looked good because of Cristiano.

It's the same with Son. People is only good because he's playing with Kane & isn't a great goalscorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I don’t get why he would commit to the club before seeing at least what Kane does. There goes his chances of winning a trophy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don’t get why he would commit to the club before seeing at least what Kane does. There goes his chances of winning a trophy.
Where would he go? He's a good player but he isn't necessarily an elite player. He wouldn't really get in ahead of a fully fit Rashford, not ahead of Mane, not Sterling. Chelsea are lacking a bit there I guess. PSG/Bayern/Barca/Madrid/Juve he wouldn't get in. So that leaves the clubs like Atletico/Dortmund/Spurs/Inter etc, and for some of those they wouldn't want him as they don't use that type of player, or money wouldn't be right, or whatever.

Basically, Son isn't good enough to necessarily get a jump up anywhere.

edcunited1878

Real Madrid's attack is completely toothless without Benzema & Zidane relied heavily upon Benzema to pull a rabbit from his arse in every game.

Real Madrid is a Europa League level team & wouldn't even qualify for UCL if Benzema got a long-term injury in past 3 seasons.

Revisionist history at its finest.

Until 2018-19 season, Benzema was consistently an afterthought and he was never rated as a top striker. He only had two 20+ LaLiga goals seasons in 8 years. He got tons of criticism for not scoring enough goals and even Real Madrid fans wanted him gone. It's not Cristiano's/Zidane's fault that Benzema was misfiring in front of goal. At the time when Cristiano left, people genuinely thought Benzema would be "exposed" and not doing as well without Cristiano.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrid-need-to-get-ready-for-a-terrible-season-it’s-happening.439975/page-2#post-22913061
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrid-2018-19-season.440183/#post-22884635
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-now-what-happens-to-karim-benzema.439955/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/real-madrids-ronaldo-replacement.439950/

Kane also benefits tremendously from Son. Without Son's lethal finishing, Kane wouldn't have become EPL's top assist provider. It goes both ways.

Son is a far & away a better goalscorer than 16/17 & 17/18 Benzema. It's the only thing that matters.

And being a more "complete" ≠ better player. Benzema is more complete than Lewy, but almost everyone rates Lewy as the best #9 itw due to his goals.

Neither Rooney & Benzema were considered great goalscorers & people assumed they only looked good because of Cristiano.

It's the same with Son. People is only good because he's playing with Kane & isn't a great goalscorer.
So if Benzema has been doing well without Cristiano, 20+ goals in La Liga for 3 consecutive seasons, doesn't that make him a top striker? Feel like you're being very selective with your dates of goal scoring when he's proven since his Lyon days that he's been a top scorer and then going to RM has been a massive change for him, yet coincides with a long and successful time with his club, of which he's been a key player for them. When the offense doesn't go through you and you're the 2nd or 3rd option in a team like Real Madrid, yet you're playing a major role in the side consistently being selected, I'd say he's been a top player for them. In Europe, he's scored between 4 to 7 goals for the majority of his RM tenure.

You can make the case that Son is a better finisher than Karim, but Son as the main striker isn't better than Benzema. There's so much more than just scoring goals if you're the center forward, which Benzema is and Son is not. Benzema had a terrible 17/18 La Liga sure.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Son with an incredible game-winning 1-0 goal against Man City today - without Harry Kane who didn't even play.

I stand still Son (as the main man) will become the next Benzema/Rooney if Harry Kane leaves Spurs

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Son with an incredible game-winning 1-0 goal against Man City today - without Harry Kane who didn't even play.

I stand still Son (as the main man) will become the next Benzema/Rooney if Harry Kane leaves Spurs
He is definitely our main man now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Maybe he will become somewhat as influential as those two after the main man left from their respective teams.

He’s certainly a fantastic player and maybe they don’t need to find a ‘like-for-like’ replacement for Kane. Play Son through the middle, and use the Kane money to pay off the cheese room.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Son is like Moura, blows hot and cold, when he's on he is world class. Then he goes missing for two or three games.

Hulksmash

If Grealish cost 100M , Son cost 200M

Unlike Harry Kane , he performs in big games

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Odd one as he was pretty poor in the first half, loads of times he got into good position and didn't shoot or the chance didn't fizzle out. Didn't end last season well either (4 goals in last 16 league and cup games).

However keep just letting him run into the box to get shots away and he'll eventually score one as City did.

Mike Smalling

I still think Son is a twat for his playacting against us last year, but he is a phenomenal player. Five seasons in a row with about 20 goals for Spurs is a great return, and he is equally good at creating for others. He should be playing at a higher level, though. He will be wasting his best years at Tottenham.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I still think Son is a twat for his playacting against us last year, but he is a phenomenal player. Five seasons in a row with about 20 goals for Spurs is a great return, and he is equally good at creating for others. He should be playing at a higher level, though. He will be wasting his best years at Tottenham.
Haven't seen much playacting by him otherwise apart from our match weirdly. Maybe just a bad day for him but he was a right twat against us.

Mike Smalling

Haven't seen much playacting by him otherwise apart from our match weirdly. Maybe just a bad day for him but he was a right twat against us.
Agree, it is not something I normally associate with him, but that was beyond embarrassing. Ole was right that he should have been denied food.

criticalanalysis

Son is like Moura, blows hot and cold, when he's on he is world class. Then he goes missing for two or three games.
It happens to everyone, except when it happens for the likes of Aguero, Salah, De Bryune etc it's less noticable because their team mates will step in.

Son is undoubtedly a top class talent that would benefit playing in a better team. He's streaky because he and Kane have to be the ones taking the shots, creating the chances, taking the risks etc because Spurs are dependent on them. If either one is off form or not feeling it, that's a massive part of Spur's game plan gone.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

I think Son is a phenomenal player and I'm frankly astonished at people on this board undervaluing him. He's mostly deployed on the left for Spurs but he can play anywhere across the front three (winger, striker, second striker), as well as attacking midfield and wingback. I personally wouldn't deploy him at the spear tip of the attack but he can do it in a pinch. He is a two-footed goal scorer. He busts a lung every game and he's almost always an honest player (the incident where he broke his arm aside). He's a good lad with absolutely no negatives in his game or personality. He easily could have played on our right. I absolutely believe Son could get in any team in the world. I think he would get in ahead of Sterling and Mane, he's a far better player than Moura ever was, and he'd give Rashford a run for his money. I'd play him over Martial. We now have Sancho for the right but Son would have filled that gap and is proven in the PL.

Threesus

I am not sure what Ji Sung Park is doing, but he could have convinced the biggest Asian star there is, to sign for us.

I don’t think there is anyone in the league who is as good in shooting with both feet as him. Phenomenal player.

Jam

Son is leagues above Moura in performances and consistencies. Laughable comparison.

littleman

I am not sure what Ji Sung Park is doing, but he could have convinced the biggest Asian star there is, to sign for us.

I don’t think there is anyone in the league who is as good in shooting with both feet as him. Phenomenal player.
Barring the long canon shots, he's a bit like a shorter-ranged, forward Nedved

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Surely Son has been one of the most consistent attackers in the PL for the past 5 years?
Not sure, Im just going off what Spurs fans say. He contributes to five goals in three games then goes missing for the next three or four games before another big haul is the gist I get from the Spurs fans. Last season his best by far with 10 assists and 17 goals, the year before 11 goals and 10 assists. Before that, 12 goals and 6 assists.

He is always going to be compared to Kane which is an unfair comparison, for starters Son is not a striker. Should be compared to the wide forwards/wingers in the league, the likes of Sterling, Mo Salah, Mane, etc.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Son is leagues above Moura in performances and consistencies. Laughable comparison.
It's not so much the comparison of their ability, more their overall form that tends to blow hot and cold.

Jam

It's not so much the comparison of their ability, more their overall form that tends to blow hot and cold.
Nani would probably be more apt as a comparison when reading your other posts.

On his day could look like the best wide player in the league, but could also then completely vanish for five games.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Spurs were the only team willing to gamble that Son would get a military service exemption from winning the gold in the Asian Games with South Korea.

If he didn't win that, he would have to enlist for military service by 30.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barring the long canon shots, he's a bit like a shorter-ranged, forward Nedved
Yeah if Nedved lost half his ability. Son is good but Nedved was an incredible footballer.

Son is obviously a very good attacker but not too drawer for me. Yesterday he was woeful in the first half but then did great on the goal. I think he's tailor made for counter attacks tbh. No chance I'd have him over someone like Sancho when facing parked buses etc He's brilliant when running into space, not so good amidst a crowd.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

Mason Greenwood says Hi ;)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Son is a phenomenal player and I'm frankly astonished at people on this board undervaluing him. He's mostly deployed on the left for Spurs but he can play anywhere across the front three (winger, striker, second striker), as well as attacking midfield and wingback. I personally wouldn't deploy him at the spear tip of the attack but he can do it in a pinch. He is a two-footed goal scorer. He busts a lung every game and he's almost always an honest player (the incident where he broke his arm aside). He's a good lad with absolutely no negatives in his game or personality. He easily could have played on our right. I absolutely believe Son could get in any team in the world. I think he would get in ahead of Sterling and Mane, he's a far better player than Moura ever was, and he'd give Rashford a run for his money. I'd play him over Martial. We now have Sancho for the right but Son would have filled that gap and is proven in the PL.
Yeap. I said here that I would have Son at United if given the choice between Kane or him -- and people were slating me for it.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs were the only team willing to gamble that Son would get a military service exemption from winning the gold in the Asian Games with South Korea.

If he didn't win that, he would have to enlist for military service by 30.
Also he simply was not on the same kind of level he is now. Id never heard of him until spurs signed him, he was not on compilation lists of the next great wingers or wide forwards when he was young or anything like that. He had done well in Germany but his first year at Spurs he was pretty woeful and willing to pack it in. Maybe Poch or his dad convinced him to stay or he had a change of heart after some soul searching, whatever the case, he made the right decision staying in the PL.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a fantastic striker of the ball. Consistently scores bangers.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Son is incredible and could be a starter at probably every club in the world less PSG. It's mind blowing that at 29yrs old he's just committed to playing out the best days of his career at a club that won't get anywhere near a significant trophy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Son is incredible and could be a starter at probably every club in the world less PSG. It's mind blowing that at 29yrs old he's just committed to playing out the best days of his career at a club that won't get anywhere near a significant trophy.
He won't be 'for sure starter' for every club in England, forget world.

He won't be a starter (as in for sure starter like Kane) for ManUtd, ManCity, Liverpool.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He won't be 'for sure starter' for every club in England, forget world.

He won't be a starter (as in for sure starter like Kane) for ManUtd, ManCity, Liverpool.
Neither of us can know that "for sure" because it's purely hypothetical. I disagree he wouldn't be a starter for those clubs though.

MrBrightside1989

If Son signed for Manchester Untited he would be a starter, he is an excellent player. United just don't need him as they have Rashford etc. Levy would want about £150m for him too. He perhaps should have looked to move to an elite club but really seems happy at Spurs and they will always be a threat if he is playing.

He also would bring in a lot of money in revenues as he is a superstar in Asia.