Son Heung-min

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just to respond to your points in bold, so you don't think we should target a couple of top signings this summer?

We have a lot of 'young' players who the club are heavily invested in..., Cheung, Greenwood, Dalot, Rashford, McT .. Martial (although I am not convinced with him unfortunately..) ... Luke Shaw. That's quite a few.

What I feel we need are a few top, top players to augment , and inspire that crop.
I feel we’ve lost time and money chasing the top tier players. We need to get smart and look at players who can do a Salah or Mane.
Supplement with young players. I’m not convinced by Chong and Gomes yet, whether they are ready. So either give them experience or loan them out. Greenwood looks different class, I’d start giving him minutes now

By the way I’d put DeLigt in the young player class and Koulibaly in the sugar coated expensive class. :)

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I mean he is though, isn't he? Like he objectively is a better, more accomplished player.

Son is the flavour of the month, not so long ago he was back to his inconsistent self. He's been vital for us recently but he hasn't suddenly become better than Kane who scored 40+ last season and has won two golden boots.

Son is more explosive and eye catching, but Kane's all round game is far more polished, he's the more reliable finisher and he's the vastly superior passer of the ball. They're very different to each other but Son has a way to go to catch up with Kane because he's only really been showing elite level form for a relatively short period of time, Kane has been doing it for seasons.

When all said and done, an on form Kane is still our best player. Like @hellohello says I think we've missed Kane a lot in both the City games, he would have been invaluable with his ability to win free kicks and hold the ball up and another big threat from set pieces.
I agree with you although I think Son is a little more than flavour of the month or just in good form. I think Son actually has taken a step up, and that he has become a better player. I think his overall game is a lot better, he is more clever with his running, and plays with his head up a lot more often. He plays with confidence now, and that's great to see, and I really rate him highly. I do think that this narrative that Son plays better without Kane is a little exaggerated, although I'm sure he would score more goals without Kane in the team, this would be the same in any team if your main goalscorer is out because other players get to take up those spaces. Our best performances this season has been with Kane and Son up top together for me, and I really hope they both have an injury free season next year and that they can set up a great partnership.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Son is on a great run of form but he isn't near Kane or even Martial for that matter. I wouldn't pick Son over them, Martial has a much higher upside.
Son has been in great form for almost two years now. He has 59 goals and 31 assists in the last three seasons in 140 games.

Bale scored 65 and assisted 44 during his best three season - 12/13 to 14/15.

Robben scored 55 and assisted 31 during 09/10 to 11/12 (significantly fewer games).

However, the difference between Son and the others is that they've played for far better teams who dominate their leagues.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Son is on a great run of form but he isn't near Kane or even Martial for that matter. I wouldn't pick Son over them, Martial has a much higher upside.
And however many years on, Martial’s barely improved since his first day here. People say he has a higher ceiling, but I seriously doubt he’ll come close to reaching Son’s peak.

Needham

This has to be satirical. That early goal against Liverpool and the one this season at Fulham -it's about all I've got in the memory bank of outstanding Martial contributions. Son over the last 3 seasons at the price Spurs paid for him or the dire return we've had on the Martial investment?The phrase "no-brainer" was invented to describe such a choice.

youmeletsfly

What higher upside? I might upset a few fans here, but Martial is a Quaresma at best and that will be his level for the rest of his career.
He's a player that will have a moment of brilliance once a few games and that's kind of it. He doesn't even have a spot in that France team, that says a lot.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm really excited about next season to be honest, almost regardless of how this season ends up finishing (obviously I hope it ends with a rather big trophy and top 4 though :D)!

Feels strange to say with us in the CL semis and as of right now, sitting in 3rd but this has been a fecking slog of a season to be honest, with Wembley again, the constant injuries, almost all of our world cup players having a pretty injury hit season, some bloody weird injuries (Dier getting severe tonsillitis and then appendicitis...) and Son having to play the world cup and then 2 other international tournaments.

Looking forward to a full pre season (even with the nations league), an actual home and players not having to jet to Asia every few months.

Son is a superb player, probably our 2nd best and most important now I'd say. He is not better than Kane though and also, while I appreciate you trying to make a point, is not flavour of the month either. It is fair to say he can be a bit streaky though. Goes through runs where he looks like young Cristiano Ronaldo, with the dribbling, shooting, energy and then runs where nothing seems to go well for him. He used to have those peaks and troughs within the same game sometimes so that's an improvement at least.

He will be a huge miss for the 1st leg against Ajax, got to hope we keep it tight enough so he can still make a difference for the 2nd leg.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He has a brilliant single stepover. Illustrated perfectly yesterday but he’s had it for ages.....the speed at which he does it and the acceleration afterwards is a real thing of beauty

Needham

Son plays with the desire that Martial lacks which is why he's a better player while not being as technically gifted.
I just wonder how technically gifted Martial is, though. He hunches over the ball, has few if any effective dribbling moves, drops his shoulder in the most obvious way having to mix it with a bit of bulldozering to get anywhere, doesn't seem to have much by way of compensating tricks and flicks to get him or the team out of tight spots or create space...Meanwhile Son is about the most effective exponent of the lollipop in the PL, creates genuine space to get off a shot when he cuts inside, and although occasionally his control lets him down seems to be improving in one touch link up play. I just don't get Martial and have no expectations that we're about to do do major damage when he gets on the ball.

Boycott

I just wonder how technically gifted Martial is, though. He hunches over the ball, has few if any effective dribbling moves, drops his shoulder in the most obvious way having to mix it with a bit of bulldozering to get anywhere, doesn't seem to have much by way of compensating tricks and flicks to get him or the team out of tight spots or create space...Meanwhile Son is about the most effective exponent of the lollipop in the PL, creates genuine space to get off a shot when he cuts inside, and although occasionally his control lets him down seems to be improving in one touch link up play. I just don't get Martial and have no expectations that we're about to do do major damage when he gets on the ball.
Son's biggest asset is he can play equally with both feet. Dribbling and shooting. There is no showing Son on the outside to negate him as there is with Martial who is heavily reliant on his right foot.

Classical Mechanic

Perhaps we overrate him in that regard because he has such tight dribbling technique.

Flanders Devil

My views summarised.
- son is a fantastic player
- if you could have only one of Kane or Son, you’d have Kane
- if you could have only one or Son or Martial, you’d have Son
- would absolutely love Son at United

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I really like his style. Can't really describe why though. He sort of reminds me of Cristiano with some of his movements.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My views summarised.
For me I'd have martial over son... He's 3 years younger and I think better Than son was a few years ago... For sure son had the better season this year though

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
For me I'd have martial over son... He's 3 years younger and I think better Than son was a few years ago... For sure son had the better season this year though
Son and Martial aren't even in the same category of footballers, except on this site.

JMack1234

I honestly don't think there is a squad in world football that Son wouldn't get in. Of course he's nowhere near the best players in the world but as an option from the bench and a squad player he's probably the best in business.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
My views summarised.
I couldn't agree more. Choosing Martial over Son is crazy to me, pure lunacy

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I agree with you although I think Son is a little more than flavour of the month or just in good form. I think Son actually has taken a step up, and that he has become a better player. I think his overall game is a lot better, he is more clever with his running, and plays with his head up a lot more often. He plays with confidence now, and that's great to see, and I really rate him highly. I do think that this narrative that Son plays better without Kane is a little exaggerated, although I'm sure he would score more goals without Kane in the team, this would be the same in any team if your main goalscorer is out because other players get to take up those spaces. Our best performances this season has been with Kane and Son up top together for me, and I really hope they both have an injury free season next year and that they can set up a great partnership.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think he's a superb player. I just don't think he's in the world class bracket yet, which Harry is. He still needs to improve elements of his game and he still needs to become a more consistent player, posters on redcafe focus very much on the games Son is excellent in but seemingly have forgotten the patches of form (even this season) where he's even dropped to the bench because he's been so ineffective. That's what I mean by 'flavour of the month', not that he's just going to disappear or that he hasn't improved, but right now he's the man shining so everything appears great.

I do think they can develop a great partnership, really their skillsets should compliment each other. If we can get both playing to their highest level consistently in the same team and also improve other areas of the side? We're absolutely golden.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Son and Martial aren't even in the same category of footballers, except on this site.
Honestly it's so bizarre, not long ago there were several posters adamant that Martial was better than Kane :lol:.

I like Martial, think he's talented and a manager like Poch could do big things with him, but as it stands he shouldn't be put alongside any of the top attackers in the league.

PKK

Supports
DC United
Son and Kane are different players. Kane is more of a target man and Son is an all around attacker. Son is more talented than Kane, IMO with many ways that he can impact the game and yet is just entering his prime. Son can wreak havoc and cause chaos. He is showing the signs of being a money player who wants the ball when the game is on the line. Noticed that City defenders were freaking out every time Son touched the ball on their side yesterday. Would not go wrong with either one, but prefer Son over Kane anytime.

Ace

I’d love to sign him— he’d immediately become our best player.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Son and Kane are different players. Kane is more of a target man and Son is an all around attacker. Son is more talented than Kane, IMO with many ways that he can impact the game and yet is just entering his prime. Son can wreak havoc and cause chaos. He is showing the signs of being a money player who wants the ball when the game is on the line. Noticed that City defenders were freaking out every time Son touched the ball on their side yesterday. Would not go wrong with either one, but prefer Son over Kane anytime.

:lol: Son is a year older than Kane for feck sake.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People be on crazy pills around here.

JDM

Supports
Tottenham
I don’t want to hijack this thread and turn it into a Harry Kane thread but right now I’d rather Son than Kane. Son is streaky, he probably always will be but Kane has already peaked for me. Kane hasn’t looked great in over a year, he keeps being rushed back from injuries and seems to take a long time to find form (albeit still scoring frequently) before getting injured, and then rushed back again. Son also seems to play better in the big games, and relish being the key man when Kane is out.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Odd post, I rate Martial a lot, but what exactly has he done on a consistent basis to say he is the better player at this moment in time?

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Odd post, I rate Martial a lot, but what exactly has he done on a consistent basis to say he is the better player at this moment in time?
Worn a red shirt. That's it, as far as some on the Caf is concerned. There's not another football forum on the planet you'd find that opinion on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
One of my favorite players in the PL at the moment. Pace, technique, movement, he is so threatening.

haram

When there is that much space on the break you are asking for a Son masterclass.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Son earning less than Dele Alli is a tragedy, he's very good and a rare likeable Spurs player.

RooneyLegend

Wasteful today, Arsenal are so lucky he isnt completely on it yet. He'd have torn them apart.