Sony hack and the movie The Interview

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yep...

Sony has decided against releasing “The Interview” in any form — including VOD or DVD.

“Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film,” a spokesman said Wednesday.

The studio issued the statement a few hours after pulling the planned Christmas Day release of “The Interview” in response to the hackers who threatened movie theaters and moviegoers if the comedy were released.
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58118978?ref_=hm_nw_uk_tp1

kps88

It's probably a decision taken by the lawyers. If something were to happen, Sony or the cinema could be held liable for not taking the threats seriously/handling security better.

It's a terrible precedent though and another studio has already cancelled a planned movie based in North Korea. Who knew one tiny country with no proper internet could cause so much trouble.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Stupid movie idea anyways, its not as if the world has tragically lost an important piece of media.

Member 39557

That's it. The US will now have fingerprint stations at the entrance to every cinema.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
This sets a very disturbing precedent. Does this mean all filmmakers and even video games makers will now have to abide by a code that doesn't upset North Korea and their fecked up, short arsed, exceedingly rotund, batshit crazy leader? How many other terrorist groups or narcissistic dictators will now try the same thing?

Kim Jon Un and his family have kept North Korea in the dark ages for years now, they have put their countrymen and women on the brink of starvation and tried their best to brainwash an entire nation. Anyone who disagrees or doesn't have a picture of his fat head on their wall will be executed. Torture camps, mass executions, slavery camps, no electricity, no food, not to mention the complete and utter disdain the North Korean leaders show to the rest of the world, it's insane. South Korea live in permanent fear of attack from the North Korean military and they threaten the world with photo shopped pictures. It would be comical if it wasn't so feckin sad.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Yeah that is why I said it does not make any sense. Too much damage done to themselves and their employees.

I just heard on the radio a story about it being someone inside of SONY who did it or a disgruntled former IT employee.
Let's hope they find out who is responsible for the hacking then they may be able to get the show on the road again. I for one want to see what all the fuss is about.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I understand why the did this. They did not want this to potentially hurt the sales for the likes of Unbroken, Into The Woods and other Christmas releases. But, this sends an alarming precedent. It basically gives a blueprint for "hacktivists". If you do not like the potential subject matter of a movie, tv show, video game, etc you just need to hack into the studio's system and threaten some form of violence and you could get it cancelled.

Will Absolute

Sensible decision from Sony's point of view. Cancellation means writing off the cost of a modestly budgeted movie, maybe $50m/$60m, which represents about .1% of Sony Corporation's annual revenue. Putting themselves in the cross-hairs of N Korea's wild-eyed men might eventually cost them a lot more.

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
Sensible decision from Sony's point of view. Cancellation means writing off the cost of a modestly budgeted movie, maybe $50m/$60m, which represents about .1% of Sony Corporation's annual revenue. Putting themselves in the cross-hairs of N Korea's wild-eyed men might eventually cost them a lot more.
Bit racial?

Dante

Average bang
It'll eventually be released... and when it is, the takings will be several times greater what they would have been otherwise.

Clever move from Sony to generate so much free publicity. If they'd ignored the threats, nobody would have cared about the film.

Oh, and Seth Rogen is a talentless cnut. That's irrelevant to the discussion, but I feel I have to say it.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Soo..The studio that owns the rights to Team America refuses the movie theatres to show the movie as well

Will Absolute

After examining the above post under the latest, most powerful Electron Microscope, I conclude that N Korea were responsible for the Sony attack.

This is very high profile. Wonder how the US government will react?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Now, IF it is true that he hackers were from North Korea and assumed to be operating under the guidance or control of the NK Govt, how does this play into the lawsuit that some former employees have filed against SONY due to the hack. Will SONY argue that since the NK government has not recognized that the Korean War is over, that this is in effect an act of war and therefore not something the company can be held liable for?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
This isn't going to end well for NK. They think they can be this little runt of country, going around throwing out idle threats, knowing their big brother China has their back. But not anymore. China's economy cannot afford the stupidity of North Korea, they're slowly backing off from them and rightly so. Yeah, USA is indebted to China in the TRILLIONS. But that means fcuk all when a country of 1 billion goes belly up and they have no western trade partners.

Went off on a tangent there. My point being, North Korea is that little cnut who thinks he's hard yet has soon as you go head to head with him, he backs off, tail between his legs knowing everyone in the class thinks he's a cnut.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
This isn't going to end well for NK. They think they can be this little runt of country, going around throwing out idle threats, knowing their big brother China has their back. But not anymore. China's economy cannot afford the stupidity of North Korea, they're slowly backing off from them and rightly so. Yeah, USA is indebted to China in the TRILLIONS. But that means fcuk all when a country of 1 billion goes belly up and they have no western trade partners.

Went off on a tangent there. My point being, North Korea is that little cnut who thinks he's hard yet has soon as you go head to head with him, he backs off, tail between his legs knowing everyone in the class thinks he's a cnut.
1.2 actually