Souness on Sky

FujiVice

142-cap Quadruple-winning England international Karen Carney doesnt look pleased.

Josh 76

142-cap Quadruple-winning England international Karen Carney doesnt look pleased.
Nothing wrong with what he said, but he maybe in trouble! This is the World we live in now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Didn't Solskjaer say something about it being a man's game?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don’t like Souness but this is being taken way out of context and overboard I think.

When he says ‘we’ve got our football back’ he doesn’t mean that relating to the Womens Euros, he means that there’s finally a bit of spark again in what has been quite a mundane League for a while in regards to a bit of needle between managers. Mind games etc are practically non existent now

Eriku

Isn’t Sounness actually quite progressive? I seem to remember he came out with some very thoughtful stuff around gay footballers?
I meant more in him wanting more crunching tackles and aggression in the game. I don’t think he was making any sly digs at the women’s game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I blame Pogba for that, he could have given Souness a different topic.

fergosaurus

I also heard him say it's a man's game at least once. Not having a go at him, I don't mind him despite his agendas, but it did seem a bit cringe considering who was sat beside him.

The Irish Connection

I saw that and thought it was dopey from him, he was at it the whole show.
I remember she said that zonal marking was flawed because it allowed players to shirk responsibility and then Souness just repeated what she said in different wording straight after. It was patronizing but to be expected from him.

SER19

Wait. He's a pundit for men's football talking about a men's match. It does nothing to progress the women's game or inclusion in the mens game to invent offence at every single opportunity

Middle class people with too much time on their hands drive so much of this rubbish

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Actually Souness has shown to be quite progressive in his views lately so I would give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to what he just said. In fact now that Pogba is gone I reckon a lot of united supporters might grow quite fond of Souness and his views.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I totally missed the “sexist” angle, and assumed they were smirking at the innuendo.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Isn’t Sounness actually quite progressive? I seem to remember he came out with some very thoughtful stuff around gay footballers?
His best mate was Dale Winton, so maybe he did, yeah.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's weird seeing people trying to make this ''political'' when clearly the reaction is due to Souness saying he loves to watch ''men at it, you know blow for blow''

Fair play to them for not bursting out laughing.
Yeah im confused is this being taken as political? Isnt it just someone accidentally saying naughty innuendos and others around him trying not to corpse?

RC89

He may get stick for saying it on air but I understand his meaning. When was the last time we saw top teams fiercely battling on the pitch like the way Arsenal and United did. You love to see it.

Longshanks

I also heard him say it's a man's game at least once. Not having a go at him, I don't mind him despite his agendas, but it did seem a bit cringe considering who was sat beside him.
Professional mens football is very much a man's game, I would love to hear the argument to say it isn't.

AdNani

you've got to ask yourself. how did Pogba allow this to happen?

Smores

Nothing wrong with what he said, but he maybe in trouble! This is the World we live in now.
ITs PC GONe maD I tell yA!! Can't say anything anymore.

Feck sake a tweet calling out an awkward moment in using a dated phrase and you all jump to the defensive :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
He signed the first black footballer to play for Rangers (Mark Walters) as well as the more famous Mo Johnson signing. Howard Gayle, a black player at Liverpool, said Souness was supportive of him when he stood up to racist scumbag Tommy Smith, tame as that support might seem in retropect. He had that oddly pleasing friendship with Dale Winton, and has indeed been very reflective regarding homophobia in football:

As abrasive and arrogant as he can be, I like the old bollocks and think his heart is in the right place.

Withnail

Yeah if he had just come out with it it would have been less cringey but you're right he had already made a comment that it was a man's game. Following that the presenter pointedly referred to the women's game by saying something like it's not only a man's game and mentioned that Karen had been quite fond of a tackle herself.

Souness then doubled down with that comment in his closing statement so he definitely was not reading the room.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Nothing wrong with what he said.

We’ve had weeks of the “women’s game” being rammed down our throats - even though anyone with a pair of eyes can see it’s Sunday league level for the most part.

Good on them and I hope it does well and continues to grow, but enough with this men vs women nonsense.