South African woman jailed for racially abusing a police officer

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I disagreed with the length of punishment. The part about less time is relevant because I am highlighting that I think the sentence is crazy. I know this is SA and the laws are different, but you only get a maximum of 6 months for aggravated assault in the UK.
But you've since said the punishment could be community service, so it doesn't seem it was the length of punishment that was the issue, rather the punishment. Maybe I presumed that though.

I don't see the issue to be honest. I've been racially abused before, in front of a policeman on a night out, and they did nothing. I even pointed it out to him and he did nothing.

I'm glad someone's taking it seriously.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
But you've since said the punishment could be community service, so it doesn't seem it was the length of punishment that was the issue, rather the punishment. Maybe I presumed that though.

I don't see the issue to be honest. I've been racially abused before, in front of a policeman on a night out, and they did nothing. I even pointed it out to him and he did nothing.

I just couldn't imagine a prison sentence of that length for saying something.

Bubz27

It hasn't been serious enough before. Now, undoubtedly, people will consider this too serious.

Let's hope we find a suitable middle ground at some point.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Are you talking about South Africa when you say we're?
Hey Oates. Yep, indeed I am.
Yeah, they have their own versions of the worst things you can say, usually Nazi stuff because of recent history, and varying degrees of punishment, though it's usually a fine/suspended sentences rather than actual prison time.
Aargh thanks Silva.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I guess context might be important as well. In the context of South Africa, democracy and apartheid (which only ended 20 odd years ago) - that “k” word is more than just a word, in fairness. I represents much more.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hey Oates. Yep, indeed I am.
Well in that case I wouldn't say that any of us are sufficiently developed but I wouldn't hold the USA as any beacon of enlightenment :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I guess context might be important as well. In the context of South Africa, democracy and apartheid (which only ended 20 odd years ago) - that “k” word is more than just a word, in fairness. I represents much more.
How is the water crisis in CapeTown ? Still a problem ?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well in that case I wouldn't say that any of us are sufficiently developed but I wouldn't hold the USA as any beacon of enlightenment :lol:
:lol: Glass houses and stones and all that Oates

How is the water crisis in CapeTown ? Still a problem ?
Still a problem. Day zero (which was when they’re gonna switch our taps off and we’re aupoised to go Q for water ffs) have been moved back from March 2018 (initial) to sometime in 2019 because “the population” has done its bit to alleviate the crisis. I think it was an initial scare tactic tbh. But consumption is supposedly down to 50 liters per person per day....that’s what we’re currently on - so at least we’re not queuing for water (yet), we’re still clean (3 min showers :lol:) and our clothes are still clean. Swimming pools are non existent though.

Tbh, I’m not even sure what their plans are (desalination iirc but it’s expensive) and when the end is in sight. Continuously just mention lack of funds etc etc. so let’s pray for heavy rainfall this winter!

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
:lol: Glass houses and stones and all that Oates
Oh I know but at the very least we don't threaten to visit another country with our assault rifles just to shoot the medics and lawyers :lol:

We much prefer to shoot ourselves in the feet.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oh I know but at the very least we don't threaten to visit another country with our assault rifles just to shoot the medics and lawyers :lol:

We much prefer to shoot ourselves in the feet.
We still have a long way to go before we could even attempt to visit other countries tbh :lol:

Perhaps we will begin to see some consistency with it though?
SA has been getting considerably worse in recent years. It would be nice if this was the start of something new but i have my doubts.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Is there a limit on the principle of deterrence for you? Why not just execute them for instance. That should deter them more effectively than 3 years in jail no?

Bubz27

Is there a limit on the principle of deterrence for you? Why not just execute them for instance. That should deter them more effectively than 3 years in jail no?
Yeah. Or maybe just kill everyone in case they ever want to be racist in the future.

WereW discussing a case where someone got 3 years for it. If she'd have gotten the death sentence, we'd be talking about that wouldn't we.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Shouldn't the thread title be...

"SA woman jailed for racially abusing a Police officer"...?

I mean, that's what she's done!

I'm really surprised that the 'PC gone mad' brigade are going on about free speech with this. I mean, what would you expect to happen!?

If a black/white teenager racially abused a black/white Police in America, they'd get shot.

In U.K they'd get arrested, and I don't imagine they'd have fun in the process.

Really surprised people are jibbering on about 'free speech', when we we're talking about racially abusing a cop.

I mean cmon, get real.

Last edited:

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

I'm really surprised that the 'PC gone mad' brigade are going on about free speech with this. I mean, what would you expect to happen!?

If a black/white teenager racially abused a black/white Police in America, they'd get shot.

Really surprised people are jibbering on about 'free speech', when we we're talking about racially abusing a cop.

I mean cmon, get real.
Bit cynical.

Seriously, you really think it should make a difference? Or would you say it should but never will?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Bit cynical.

Seriously, you really think it should make a difference? Or would you say it should but never will?
I just think it's odd to say 'racial slur', when she's racially abused a Police officer to their face...!

And yeah, beyond that, of course the fact it's a Police officer makes a difference.

In most (all?) countries, the crime of 'assaulting a Police officer' is considered more serious than regular assault.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I just think it's odd to say 'racial slur', when she's racially abused a Police officer to their face...!

And yeah, beyond that, of course the fact it's a Police officer makes a difference.

In most (all?) countries, the crime of 'assaulting a Police officer' is considered more serious than regular assault.
Not sure how it is in other countries, but in Holland you get a very serious fine and a night in jail for insulting a police officer. Doesn't have to be racist either, just shouting abuse.

Hung over, in jail, with a huge fine.

Like a triple whammy

:(

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure how it is in other countries, but in Holland you get a very serious fine and a night in jail for insulting a police officer. Doesn't have to be racist either, just shouting abuse.

Hung over, in jail, with a huge fine.

Like a triple whammy

:(
Still, better than being shot dead tho right?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still, better than being shot dead tho right?
Quite so, that’s why I don’t find it at all shocking that this person is more harshly punished than she would ve been if it werent a cop. We are known for being a relatively lenient country when it comes to the punishment of criminals, but even here you cant shout abuse at a police officer, whilst doing the same against a civilian doesnt land you in jail.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So 3 years in jail for saying bad words is okay?
There is a huge difference between simply using bad words and racial vilification. I'm not saying the sentence is or isn't fair as I know nothing of the case.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Bit cynical.

It does in many countries and even where there isn't a cop specific offence then offensive language in public or racial abuse offences are far more likely to be prosecuted when directed at cops.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I mean cmon, get real.
Done. My first reaction was that it wouldn’t or shouldn’t have made a difference - racism is racism, whether it was to a police officer or to a any member of the public. The focus should be on “racism” and not who it victimized. But point taken though. I’d say in any society - the punishment is harsher if a crime is committed against a police officer.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It does in many countries and even where there isn't a cop specific offence then offensive language in public or racial abuse offences are far more likely to be prosecuted when directed at cops.
I don't disagree, however I think it must be that more relevant in a country where black people have been for so long subjugated so viciously and now with people who still cannot get past their ignorant behaviour it should apply wherever it happens. Most probably the sentence is a result of it being toward a police officer, an example is being made.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't disagree, however I think it must be that more relevant in a country where black people have been for so long subjugated so viciously and now with people who still cannot get past their ignorant behaviour it should apply wherever it happens. Most probably the sentence is a result of it being toward a police officer, an example is being made.
Yep. Agreed.