South Korean media reports that Son was racially abused by Ole

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Let's not oversimplify this. Racial abuse in football is a real issue, a crucial one even, but that's all the more reason why it shouldn't be bandied about when there's absolutely no cause for it. And still less when a player of one ethnicity is basically treated like he would be if he was of any other ethnicity. Which I think is clear is the case here, re Ole's almost exactly similar comments about Lamela.
You can have both, though. You can take racial abuse extremely seriously while still condemning those who lie about it. Suing the Korean paper here wouldn't detract from the battle against actual racism.

It's like the Cavani thing. People said he should shut up and take the punishment so as not to undermine the FA's anti-racism effort, but an innocent person is still entitled to point out when they are being accused of something false.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Genuine question, I wonder how many of those idiots tweeting racist stuff are actually racist, and how many are just trolls who have found it a really effective way to wreak the kind of havok they have always dreamed of?
I'm fairly sure most of them are the second kind. I doubt many of them actually have any sort of strong feelings about black people or Asian people. It's just about getting a rise to them. That's why, if social media sites introduced bans for racist abuse, most of these trolls wouldn't bother any more. Not worth getting banned for something they don't actually care about.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I suppose the racism angle would be the play on the surname.

Olle took the Surname and used it as a play about not feeding his Son. Perhaps the Koreans feel angry that someone using a Korean Surname to mean something else is racist?
I don't know, that sounds made up to me.

Theo Cherry

Oh wow, man I used to like this guy, heck of a player, but what a heel turn in 24 hours. Detestable to even try to turn this into a story.
It's been a lot longer that 24hrs mate, he broke another footballer leg, and then tried kick out at another.

justsomebloke

You can have both, though. You can take racial abuse extremely seriously while still condemning those who lie about it. Suing the Korean paper here wouldn't detract from the battle against actual racism.

It's like the Cavani thing. People said he should shut up and take the punishment so as not to undermine the FA's anti-racism effort, but an innocent person is still entitled to point out when they are being accused of something false.
Yeah, sure, absolutely.

hungrywing

The translation of the media report in the OP does not indicate that Ole said anything racist. So to be honest the thread title should be changed. It’s probably inaccurate and a little inflammatory.
Yep. Again, per these two posts (one of which might be ironic) -

Thread title's bollocks, needs changing before the Caf's sued.
The article doesn't say this. Change the thread title
- And this one:

KBS, MBC are two biggest media companies in Korea.
Tbf most Asian countries are very protective of their "national heroes". The news came as no surprise but the article doesn't say Son Heung Min was racially abused by Ole, they claim fans on social media did it.
- none of the Korean headlines or articles are saying anything at all about Ole saying anything racist. I don't know what the caf's exposure is on something like this, so who knows how prudent it would be to change the thread title or if it even matters after the time elapsed.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
- none of the Korean headlines or articles are saying anything at all about Ole saying anything racist. I don't know what the caf's exposure is on something like this, so who knows how prudent it would be to change the thread title or if it even matters after the time elapsed.
I don't know either, but I think the powers that be on here are no fools on the matter, if it had needed to come down they would have done it by now. Sorry for my outbreak of drama-queen lurgy, it was late :)

hungrywing

I don't know either, but I think the powers that be on here are no fools on the matter, if it had needed to come down they would have done it by now. Sorry for my outbreak of drama-queen lurgy, it was late :)
Yours was the one I thought might be ironic/kidding.

EDIT: I agree; it's been a while since the potential problem has been brought to light. They probably checked and have been told it's okay.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
What this controversy has taught me is that future VAR panels need to contain referees, ex-players and child services.

hungrywing

Hi, wing. Is Ole your dad?
Are you trying to say that wing -> wing chun -> Yip Man -> Bruce Lee -> Broccoli -> Beef with -> Chinese take out -> trying to get the caf chop-sue-yed.

On a more serious note, I was remembering all the Giggs superinjunction omgomg-censor-all-the-posts-we're-going-to-be-sued hoopla.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Are you trying to say that wing -> wing chun -> Yip Man -> Bruce Lee -> Broccoli -> Beef with -> Chinese take out -> trying to get the caf chop-sue-yed.

On a more serious note, I was remembering all the Giggs superinjunction omgomg-censor-all-the-posts-we're-going-to-be-sued hoopla.
There's probably a lower likelihood that a Korean media outlet would sue the caf.

hungrywing

No, it's because they're far away and the cost/benefit ratio isn't in their favour.
In the hypothetical situation where it were a possibility, I don't know about the 'far away' thing.

But the economics/optics of the CNN(?) of the eleventh(?) largest economy in the world suing a tiny football club website (by comparison) would be interesting. Gut feeling says cost/benefit wouldn't be a factor at all. It'd just be a matter if they wanted to not send ten executives on a golf outing in the next year. It'd be a matter of whim.

Just checked, they have a circa 5 bn USD annual budget. Legal fees to sue and win or lose/countersuit would be a molecule in the bucket. Ball would be in their court.

EDIT: That was potentially embarrassing. '5 bn' there should be 500 bn for the whole country and it has nothing to do with KBS itself. KBS annual revenue is circa $1.2 billion-ish.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

In the hypothetical situation where it were a possibility, I don't know about the 'far away' thing.

But the economics/optics of the CNN(?) of the eleventh(?) largest economy in the world suing a tiny football club website (by comparison) would be interesting. Gut feeling says cost/benefit wouldn't be a factor at all. It'd just be a matter if they wanted to not send ten executives on a golf outing in the next year. It'd be a matter of whim.

Just checked, they have a circa 5 bn USD annual budget. Legal fees to sue and win or lose/countersuit would be a molecule in the bucket. Ball would be in their court.
The cost benefit for large corporate entities is more to do with the fact that they have these lawyers on staff and their time could be better spent on more important matters than suing a website based out of Ireland for a post made by some random.

hungrywing

The cost benefit for large corporate entities is more to do with the fact that they have these lawyers on staff and their time could be better spent on more important matters than suing a website based out of Ireland for a post made by some random.
And in the words of the immortal James Woods in Contact, how bad would they feel about going out of their way to stomp on an anthill in a 'backwards racist boondock' that might be replaced by something better afterwards?

Who knows. Some junior newbie over there could be given this case to cut her/his/their teeth on. 'See if you can do anything with this.' Six years later, the true story wins an Oscar.

Again, it'd be a matter of whimsy. Obviously their high-powered and even middle to just-above-bottom-rung gals/guys wouldn't be bothered with it.

simplyared

Blame Mourinho for this calling out OGS in the media. He's desperate for plus points with his players because he's fecked up and lost the dressing room. The man's a fraud!

Dr. Dwayne

And in the words of the immortal James Woods in Contact, how bad would they feel about going out of their way to stomp on an anthill in a 'backwards racist boondock' that might be replaced by something better afterwards?

Who knows. Some junior newbie over there could be given this case to cut her/his/their teeth on. 'See if you can do anything with this.' Six years later, the true story wins an Oscar.

Again, it'd be a matter of whimsy. Obviously their high-powered and even middle to just-above-bottom-rung gals/guys wouldn't be bothered with it.
There would be no stomping. The reality is that step one is a cease and desist letter. Easy option for Niall is to remove the thread in the event that occurs.

That will flow the same way from Ole's perspective. Tell them outlet to report a clarification on the nature of his comments or they'll get sued for defamation.

Both of the above contingent on whether either party cares enough. At this moment, they probably don't.

hungrywing

There would be no stomping. The reality is that step one is a cease and desist letter. Easy option for Niall is to remove the thread in the event that occurs.

That will flow the same way from Ole's perspective. Tell them outlet to report a clarification on the nature of his comments or they'll get sued for defamation.

Both of the above contingent on whether either party cares enough. At this moment, they probably don't.
Yep to the bolded part. And again, IMO enough time had passed in between the first pointing out from 711 - and perhaps(?) before that - that it had been discussed and deemed not necessary.

The Ole part isn't an issue. Many posts have pointed out how the articles do not defame Ole - and that's the crux of the issue - and any urges of caution/speculation to that nature are regarding this thread's rather needlessly alleging that he's been defamed.

Again, both would look petty/small time were they to pursue. (And in Ole's case, he'd lose outright: "Hire your own translators. We never said you were racist It's this one tiny forum that said that we said you were.")

So that's not an issue. But from the other way, A, you never know and light-years more pertinently B. by all accounts the thread title is off to the point where it misleads the caf readership at the very least. Several posters are pointing out UH, GUYS, THAT'S NOT WHAT THE KOREAN BROADCASTERS SAID but the thread title remains. The people pointing out the capitalized part have a leg to stand on. Qui bono.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Has there been any update from the Korean news channels? Maybe a retraction about what they said regarding Ole?

Comparing trophy hauls has always been a poor way of judging players. It plays a part,
and especially more so when trying to rank players who played for top teams in a historical manner (where does Messi rank compared to Ronaldo etc) but it’s still a relatively poor way of doing it. Kane has undoubtedly been one of the best strikers in the world for a while, yet if you compare his trophy haul to Gary Neville he’s eclipsed massively. Using trophy hauls to compare players in a sport like football doesn’t really work.

(just saw the other thread should have posted it in there)
I get your point, but hardware is perhaps the only objective metric with which to compare players.

Unfortunately, YT clips & xG, etc. have brought subjectivity too much into the argument of who is the best / most talented player. It becomes an argument of who is most pleasing to the eye when seen in little snippets / who graded higher.

The scramble to anoint someone the absolute best at football is a fool’s errand to begin with. I am more in the vein of having groups of players as the best of something, even going as far as to define different eras of players to more closely compare like with like.

It’s enjoyable banter to a certain extent, but it also further tribalizes football vis à vis supporters & many take it far too seriously. But it does open eyes of supporters like myself who have no idea these players even existed / forgot how good players were back when their media exposure was a scintilla of what it is today.

lysglimt

Scout
At one stage Ole was considered too nice - now he is sexist, racist and fighting with Mourinho :)

Lyricist

Sources say the Asian surnames Jin (China/Taiwan), Kim (Korea) and Gon/Gin in Japan use the character for 'gold'.

You're racist for pointing out their avarice.
You just assumed that China, Taiwan, and Japan were worth bringing up in a topic about Korean media. So there's that.

I'm going to stop sarcastically making fun of this now though.
Racism is obviously a very serious topic and as someone with multicultural background I'm well aware of how much it is a problem. To paint what Ole said as racist is just ridiculous though.

Foxbatt

We are blaming Jose for having a go at Ole. If the it was the other way around we would be all supporting our Manager if Ole had done the same.
It's best to put this away now.

Number32

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of bollocks... Son really is the golden boy in Korea.
It wouldn't be a surprise, they even try to ditch Park's legendary status by comparing him with Son in some reality shows. Most of young koreans now days are die hard Son's fans, that's why their media worship him in every shows.

hungrywing

You just assumed that China, Taiwan, and Japan were worth bringing up in a topic about Korean media. So there's that.

I'm going to stop sarcastically making fun of this now though.
Racism is obviously a very serious topic and as someone with multicultural background I'm well aware of how much it is a problem. To paint what Ole said as racist is just ridiculous though.
I don't do laughing smilies, but I'm tempted on this one. The thought of anyone taking that seriously.

Anyways. For the rest of everyone, here's the Chinese character in question.