South Korean media reports that Son was racially abused by Ole

justsomebloke

What lunacy. This is Suarez all over again. I know otherwise perfectly reasonable Uruguayans who maintain to this day that his WC suspension for biting was a piece of flagrantly unfair persecution reflecting a conspiracy against their country.

Racism is a serious problem - it should not be trivialised by such misuse.

norm87cro

This is PC culture at it's worst. No way that I'm buying that Ole said anything racist. The racist card is also a distraction for the stuff that is happening on the pitch. In Son's case it way obviously diving. A similar thing happened with Fred after Leicester. He had a s... game and was at fault for their goal yet the news were all about him being abused racially on twitter by a few morons.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This is PC culture at it's worst. No way that I'm buying that Ole said anything racist. The racist card is also a distraction for the stuff that is happening on the pitch. In Son's case it way obviously diving. A similar thing happened with Fred after Leicester. He had a s... game and was at fault for their goal yet the news were all about him being abused racially on twitter by a few morons.
It's not exactly PC culture. It's hyper nationalism.Son is Korean icon and any attack on his character is seen as an attack on Korea by media in Korea.

Fred was abused and was reported correctly. Even Son was abused and the reporting was correct. But they brought Ole because he accused Son of being a cheat, which he is but South Korean media didn't want to accept that

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It doesn't say in the article anywhere that Ole racially abused Son? Unless I'm completely missing something. Just seems like a standard bias article which you could find a million of about various players/teams.

Son is quite dislikable anyway. I mean he wasn't but I've never seen anyone break another player's leg before and end up managing to paint themselves as the victim because they were upset about it afterwards (despite still making a massive deal out of the injustice of being sent off...for literally breaking someone's leg).

I don't care if it was unlucky. The other guy got his leg broke due to your wrecklessness. You're not the victim. Take the ban and accept it and maybe don't do flying scissor tackles from behind to opposition players.

OleBoiii

A lawyer has apparently gone on record and stated that the comment is racist:
I tried to understand her reasoning based on the comments and I'm even more confused now :lol:

I wonder what her reaction was when South Korea's own captain(Ki) made monkey gestures after scoring against Japan? That is undeniably racist, but South Korean media rushed to his defence at the time. Hypocrites.

Mike Smalling

A lawyer has apparently gone on record and stated that the comment is racist:
This is so childish, it's unbelievable. Son is their hero, so he couldn't possibly be in the wrong - anyone who criticizes him must be a racist :houllier: Absolutely bonkers!

Someone needs to call this shit out. It would be probably be detrimental if Ole or the club took action, but it would be great if the media could put focus on it. It is completely detrimental to the on-going efforts to combat actual racism.

RoyH1

That's the downside with current zeitgeist. Any criticism can now be misinterpreted or made to be racist, sexist, xxxxphobic, etc etc
I don't think Ole has a racist bone in his body. Ridiculous claim. But now it's out there and who knows where it will end.

Crustanoid

If slating Son for being an utter twat makes an entire nation throw their toys out of the pram, and equate the racism of several social media using idiots (who are completely unconnected with the club) to the manager who rightly called out the cheating cnut without being racist whatsoever, then there is a big problem in society. This should not be allowed to happen.

Redcy

It doesn't say in the article anywhere that Ole racially abused Son? Unless I'm completely missing something. Just seems like a standard bias article which you could find a million of about various players/teams.

Son is quite dislikable anyway. I mean he wasn't but I've never seen anyone break another player's leg before and end up managing to paint themselves as the victim because they were upset about it afterwards (despite still making a massive deal out of the injustice of being sent off...for literally breaking someone's leg).

I don't care if it was unlucky. The other guy got his leg broke due to your wrecklessness. You're not the victim. Take the ban and accept it and maybe don't do flying scissor tackles from behind to opposition players.

He has received racial abuse from opposition team Manchester United fans as well as the manager (Solskjaer)