Southampton 2022/2023 | Nathan Jones Sacked

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
They were going to struggle this season regardless of who their manager was. Sign a bunch of teenagers mainly from City's reserves and throw them straight into the starting eleven in the most difficult league in the world. What can possibly go wrong?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
''Southampton Football Club can confirm it has parted company with Men’s First Team Manager Nathan Jones.
First Team Coaches Chris Cohen and Alan Sheehan have also left the club.

First Team Lead Coach Rubén Sellés will take charge of training and prepare the team ahead of next weekend’s game against Chelsea''

Jones didn't even get the usual ''we wish him well for the future''.

IRN-BRUno

Hasenhuttl had taken 17 points from his last 26 games so it was the right decision to sack him, poor move to go with Jones though. He's a bit of a nutter but he's a decent manager, Southampton and their squad just isn't the right fit for him.

You look at his Luton team and they're either guys from the lower leagues or players who've been deemed not good enough by others at that level, to his credit he got the best out of them and made them a good Championship side. Southampton is completely different, with that squad they need someone who has experience of developing young players.

TsuWave

Get pochettino back and be done with it.
Poch is not going anywhere there. His profile is too big now. He just needs to wait it out and he'll be a candidate for Chelsea or Spurs

Crashoutcassius

He is a good manager. I know a lot about him cos my hairdresser is from Luton and brother sponsored the club haha. Hear about him for 40 mins once a month.

He will walk into another championship job and if he does well he will get promoted or get another premiership crack I'd say

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He is a good manager. I know a lot about him cos my hairdresser is from Luton and brother sponsored the club haha. Hear about him for 40 mins once a month.

He will walk into another championship job and if he does well he will get promoted or get another premiership crack I'd say
Think Norwich will be manager-less soon. Wagner having an absolute nightmare there. But I'm not sure even that is the right fit for NJ.

He loves a good moan and a whinge and that is more suited for underdog teams, which Norwich are not.

Like literally would always complain during midweek games about the being too many matches and that's why we're struggling, forgetting that the entire league is dealing with the same shit :lol:

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Fans of clubs in the relegation fight probably hate any talk about a 'reset', but a year in the Championship might be good for Southampton's young players if they have the right manager behind them (ie Not Jones)

Chipper

Adulterer.
Hasenhuttl had taken 17 points from his last 26 games so it was the right decision to sack him, poor move to go with Jones though. He's a bit of a nutter but he's a decent manager, Southampton and their squad just isn't the right fit for him.

You look at his Luton team and they're either guys from the lower leagues or players who've been deemed not good enough by others at that level, to his credit he got the best out of them and made them a good Championship side. Southampton is completely different, with that squad they need someone who has experience of developing young players.
They're in a mess then aren't they?

Development is long term but at the same time they want to stay up in the present. Presumably they fired Jones more due to fear of relegation than anything else and the right person to develop players in the long run might well take them down too.

IRN-BRUno

They're in a mess then aren't they?

Development is long term but at the same time they want to stay up in the present. Presumably they fired Jones more due to fear of relegation than anything else and the right person to develop players in the long run might well take them down too.
I think they've probably concentrated too much on signing youth and it's not like they've had to do that for financial reasons either. They've added up to a fair chunk in transfer fees which could have been used on a few more players of PL quality. The players they have who are mid 20s+ are average at best with a couple of exceptions.

Fans of clubs in the relegation fight probably hate any talk about a 'reset', but a year in the Championship might be good for Southampton's young players if they have the right manager behind them (ie Not Jones)
This is probably fair. Understandable why supporters of the club wouldn't agree but they would be promoted straight away and able to keep the majority of that side who would get the experience of playing and winning games.

Leg-End

Jones went full Brent and you can’t do that at the top level. He will probably pretend he wasn’t sacked but failed the medical on purpose, “see ya later”.

RedDevilRoshi

Found it a baffling appointment to begin with although can’t remember who else was linked with the job at the time?

hatchetmac

Nathan Jones:

You packed your bags as I recall
And you walked slowly down the hall
You said you had to get away to ease your mind
And all you needed was a just little of time
Oh winter's passed, spring and fall
You never wrote me, you never called
Nathan Jones you've been gone too long
Gone too long

Chipper

Adulterer.
Found it a baffling appointment to begin with although can’t remember who else was linked with the job at the time?
Found an article from 7th of November with betting odds. He was huge favourite to take the job by then so word must have got out, but here's the others:

Nathan Jones 2/9
Marcelo Gallardo 4/1
Sean Dyche 12/1
Kjetil Knutsen 13/1
Pedro Martins 20/1
Nuno Espirito Santo 20/1
Domenico Tedesco 20/1
Rafa Benitez 20/1
Vincent Kompany 25/1

Oldyella

Subtle 'enough hair for a 40 minute cut' brag.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He never seemed the right manager for Southampton. I’d like to see them go after Bielsa or Gallardo to rebuild.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What they were smoking when they decided to appoint him, I'll never know.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Thing is NJ didn't just have a bad spell, he embarrassed himself with his press antics and now is a laughing stock and his only way back to EPL is via promotion through Championship.

This couldn't have gone any worse for the guy.

paulscholes18

Has to go down as one of the worst appoinoments in PL history, it made no sense at the time. Dyche was the obvious choice

BorisManUtd

Had to happen. They've been good in cups but 15 points in league with that embarassing loss vs Wolves was too bad for him to stay. Not sure Saints can save themselves from relegation anyways but this at least them some chance.

eire-red

Writing was on the wall after his "pandering" rant. Came across as a bit of a knob. Sometimes, managers just don't deserve time.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

I love the idea that you and your hairdresser only ever talk about Nathan Jones when you are together :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When you're under pressure to keep your job, there's a lot to be said for not coming across like a pillock.