Southampton 2022/2023 | Nathan Jones Sacked

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What on earth have they seen in Jesse March’s work at Leeds that made them go ‘yeah we’ll have some of that’?

Sylar

Football is something else eh? You get sacked from Leeds who are 17th, because they dont think you are good enough to survive in the league (and thus need the change)
A few weeks later youre hired by a team even lower in the league (Bottom) to try and save the team...

Gazautd18

One of the only professions where you can get sacked for doing a crap job.
Then get the same job days later...

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’d imagine darsh interviews strongly and plays well at board level.

justsomebloke

What on earth have they seen in Jesse March’s work at Leeds that made them go ‘yeah we’ll have some of that’?
To be generous, maybe someone who managed to keep Leeds up last season. And who stylistically fits their squad and identity, more or less. And who offers the enthusiastic "Yeah let's go!!!" vibe that Nathan Jones very much didn't.

But still. That's probably being rather too generous.

CM

Probably that he isn't named Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard, mostly. The options are fairly thin on the ground

Ludens the Red

Tell me you’re deliberately trying to get relegated without telling me you’re deliberately trying to get relegated.

GlasgowCeltic

Marsch just seems a likeable bluffer, I suppose being likeable makes him a step up from that last guy

Ten Lasso

Being a football manager really is the best gig in town.

Fail, get sacked, get a big pay-out then get offered the next job that comes along. Rinse and repeat for the next 20 years.

Real Name

Being a football mamanger is surely the best job in the world.

You can be bad as hell you're still going to find a new job in no time.

CM

If you only look for ex-PL managers, yeah.
Who else is out there? Gallardo is one name I've heard mentioned but apparently he doesn't want to take a job mid season. I imagine most managers worth getting would have a similar sentiment

poleglass red

He must have the same agent the likes of Pardew, Hughes, Allardyce and Bruce had back in the day

Chairman Steve

Please let him do well and Soton stay up at Leeds’ expense. It would be some banterrific karma.

justsomebloke

Out of all these, Walker-Peters is the one I'd focus on.
He does look like he's got a package that might be a better fit for a top team than it is at Southampton, possibly. At least offensively.

For my part, I think it's not hard to visualize how Ward-Prowse could have something to add in Eriksen's role.

The big question is do they have the overall quality, of course.

georgipep

He does look like he's got a package that might be a better fit for a top team than it is at Southampton, possibly. At least offensively.

For my part, I think it's not hard to visualize how Ward-Prowse could have something to add in Eriksen's role.

The big question is do they have the overall quality, of course.
In my view Ward-Prowse is probably the most average out of them all, with exception to his set-piece delivery. He is very positionally undisciplined, which makes him a liability for any serious manager at a top club.

justsomebloke

In my view Ward-Prowse is probably the most average out of them all, with exception to his set-piece delivery. He is very positionally undisciplined, which makes him a liability for any serious manager at a top club.
You probably have a better take on this than me - definitely not going on any deep research or extensive viewing here.

How do you see Walker-Peters as a fit at United? What would he add, and what sort of ceiling do you think he's got?

georgipep

You probably have a better take on this than me - definitely not going on any deep research or extensive viewing here.

How do you see Walker-Peters as a fit at United? What would he add, and what sort of ceiling do you think he's got?
Walker-Peters overlaps a lot, he is very athletic. His defensive work is surprisingly good too. Years of playing for struggling team does that though.

I think he would be useful when the right forward is someone who doesn't keep width. Sancho on the right with Walker-Peters overlapping, for example.

On the other hand, we know Ten Hag likes his fullbacks to slot in midfield. I don't think Walker-Peters has that in his repertoire right now. He could be trained but that's speculative.

So, in essence, he would be an option, almost the opposite of Dalot. More width, less midfield. Both are able to keep the ball but Walker-Peters has always played with a lot of urgency. He progresses the ball with both dribbles and passes, but as his stats show, dribbling is by far his stronger skill.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mad how you can get sacked as a football manager and get a new job a week later.