Kick-off
Sun, 22 August 2021 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

432JuanMata

While we were excellent against Leeds like last season they play very open which suits us. I want to see us against teams that sit deep and make it difficult to break down they we’re are undoing.
    While this is Southampton first home game and they will be up for it I feel with the players they have lost they will sit deep and compact. Hope we see the Pogba-Bruno combo and Sancho as I feel James is only decent with space in behind and Southampton won’t give any

RobbieBerns

We’ve had some proper dodgy kits in this fixture recently, glad we’ve got three kits that are well suited for the lovely football that we will hopefully continue to see all throughout the season.

scottw

Supports
    ManUtd and AtlantaUtd
    This is a must win game for sure.. we need to win the first 7, they are all winnable. Another performance like Sat and we can do it. Get James on the bench where he belongs, or better yet with the under 23's, and Sancho in and watch some great crosses. Shaw gets better and better every game, guy is a stud, I love watching him play!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    Dan James looks like he just escaped from the pages of a 1960’s football comic strip, cheerful English face, wayward tuft of hair sticking up, speed and energy and enthusiasm personified. I feel a bit for him, he’s probably wondering, like the rest of us, when everything clicks for him. Looking forward to this game.

Shimo

Think Sancho and Martial start and Pogba will partner with McTominay or Fred.

1) Southampton are not going to give room in behind and Ole will want to use Martial as focal point. Greenwood and Sancho will be more of a threat than James who is mainly useful when teams give a lot of space in behind.
    2) Can see why in game against Leeds he went with the running of McFred but, no way need that against a Southampton where we will dominate possession. Pogba to help get past whatever press they have and be able to find passes as Southampton sit deeper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    As far what I know. Ralph's Southampton at their own home ground don't park the bus, they press high and push high. Just look at the 3-2 win result we had against them last year. So I wouldn't be surprised if we play McTominay and Fred again.

Highfather_24

The reason other clubs get good money while we fail to clear deadwood like Andreas, Lingard and Jones is because other clubs pro-actively sell players when they realise the player wont make it, while their stock is still relatively high. They dont wait for them to magically get better while it further tanks their value and makes them unsellable. And they certainly dont give them a bumper contract.

We have Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Mata, Amad and Elanga for the wing. Rashford will come in 3 months. Sell Lingard, Andreas and James while you still can. Selling James should be a priority since we can still get a decent fee for him.

Nicolarra90

I'd love something like

DDG

AWB Varane Maguire Shaw

Fred Pogba

Amad Bruno Sancho

Greenwood

Subs: Martial (Amad), Mc Tominay (Pogba), VDB (Bruno)

But I reckon it's going to be the same team that played Leeds with Sancho instead of James. I don't think Cavani will be ready yet.

Highfather_24

I really dont get the obsession of putting Pogba into a CM role, just to shoe-horn other attacking players in the lineup. It doesnt work. Pogba is not a CM.

DDG

AWB
    Varane
    Maguire
    Shaw

McT
    Fred

Sancho
    Bruno
    Pogba

Greenwood

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    The only change I can see is Martial/Sancho for James, though I expect James to still start.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
    Dan James looks like he just escaped from the pages of a 1960’s football comic strip, cheerful English face, wayward tuft of hair sticking up, speed and energy and enthusiasm personified. I feel a bit for him, he’s probably wondering, like the rest of us, when everything clicks for him. Looking forward to this game.
    that is pretty random

To me he will always be a Hobbit

kirk buttercup

I really dont get the obsession of putting Pogba into a CM role, just to shoe-horn other attacking players in the lineup. It doesnt work. Pogba is not a CM.

DDG

AWB
    Varane
    Maguire
    Shaw

McT
    Fred

Sancho
    Bruno
    Pogba

Greenwood
    thats the team for me . If any change maybe Matic in for one if McT. Or Fred.

and I agree Pogba needs to play in an attacking Position where we get the best out of him . McFred or Donny / Matic can do the defensive roles.

The Hilton

The reason other clubs get good money while we fail to clear deadwood like Andreas, Lingard and Jones is because other clubs pro-actively sell players when they realise the player wont make it, while their stock is still relatively high. They dont wait for them to magically get better while it further tanks their value and makes them unsellable. And they certainly dont give them a bumper contract.

We have Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Mata, Amad and Elanga for the wing. Rashford will come in 3 months. Sell Lingard, Andreas and James while you still can. Selling James should be a priority since we can still get a decent fee for him.
    It really really shouldn't. Our wingers were knackered by the end of last season, as there simply wasn't enough depth to allow us to rotate due to injuries. On top of that, there's talk of Amad going out on loan, which would be much better for his development. One of him or Lingard needs to hang around, just to give us an option for resting our better players at the end of matches or in cup games against lower division teams. Being able to manage fatigue build up like that will allow our primary players to be much fitter come the end of the season.

As for the game, hoping Sancho starts (instead of James), so we can see a bit more of what he can do. So'ton seem like relegation candidates for me this season, selling a couple of their best players, but they always seem to cause us problems so will likely still be a tough match.

Rojofiam

De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, Fred; Sancho, Fernandes, Pogba; Greenwood

Jacob

If all goes well for Varane in the game today against Burnley, play him from the start. Let's not underestimate his ability to adapt and settle in the team quickly.

wolvored

I think they may try this.
    De Gea

AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw

VDB Matic

Sancho, Fernandes, Pogba

Greenwood
    We know we can turn Southampton over and they lost their best player to Villa. Im going to be bold again and say 0-4. Greenwood Fernandes Pogba and Sancho to score.

wolvored

I agree with your post.
    I think this started under Fergie. He persevered for years with Fletcher. Brown O'Shea were marginally better. This then develops into if you give them x amount of years they will become adequate for what we need.

Think Sancho and Martial start and Pogba will partner with McTominay or Fred.

1) Southampton are not going to give room in behind and Ole will want to use Martial as focal point. Greenwood and Sancho will be more of a threat than James who is mainly useful when teams give a lot of space in behind.
    2) Can see why in game against Leeds he went with the running of McFred but, no way need that against a Southampton where we will dominate possession. Pogba to help get past whatever press they have and be able to find passes as Southampton sit deeper.
    I really want to see this too.

Southampton are crap, they've just sold their best goalscorer and their best defender, and we beat them 9-0 at home last season. Plus, after that Leeds game they're likely thinking that if they try to defend high up the pitch they'll get cut to pieces. Great opportunity for us to try out our tactics against the low block here. And I think we'll need more of a fixed no9 who can hold off a cb while controlling the ball, which is Martial.

With that team we have 2 more direct players - Greenwood and Martial, 2 creative - Sancho and Pogba, and Bruno who is just good at everything. There's so much variation in playing styles there. Can't wait!

UDontMessWith24

Obviously we'll be heavy favorites here, but there's the factor of them playing at home in front of a packed house for the first time will make things tougher, as it did for some away sides in Matchweek 1. If we can get an early goal or at least dictate the pace of the match early in we should be ok. They will come out with a ton of energy though so sleepwalking through the first half hour or so could really compound things.

Highfather_24

I agree with your post.
    I think this started under Fergie. He persevered for years with Fletcher. Brown O'Shea were marginally better. This then develops into if you give them x amount of years they will become adequate for what we need.
    Fletcher was the among the best midfielders in the league around 2009-10. Brown and O'shea were very solid squad players. Not comparable to James, Lingard etc.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I love that people are just throwing that 26 games unbeaten with DJ stat about. It came from some guy on Twitter and now I'm seeing it everywhere. Like, do people actually know what the context is?
    How many of those games were relevant matches and not against cannon fodder opposition?
    How many did he come on after the game had already been decided?
    How many minutes did he play in them?

I want James to do well, I think he could in a lower level premier League team. Let's just not get carried away.
    You could do your own research if you're so convinced

Raveneye

I reckon Matic and Donny might start this game. They've been training so much together as a pair, seems obvious they're meant to rotate with Fred and McTominay who had a high intensity game against Leeds.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I reckon Matic and Donny might start this game. They've been training so much together as a pair, seems obvious they're meant to rotate with Fred and McTominay who had a high intensity game against Leeds.
    Be nuts to change that, given how well they played. Donny could only realistically come in for James. I don't know who else he'd displace

bosskeano

Varane really should start this match given we should have more of the ball and his ability to help defend the counter will be important plus he's better in the air

always_hoping

A draw or win here will see United equal the longest unbeaten away run in top flight history.

Southampton away is usually a tricky fixture for United and I'll be surprised if this match is any different.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
    Apparently Varane didn't even feature in the game against Burnley today. That almost certainly rules him out of the Southampton game which would be a shame.

Also, apparently, Sancho played today but again played on the left hand side. I was really hoping Dan James would be the one replaced and Sancho would just start on the right.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
    You could do your own research if you're so convinced
    I don't even need to do the research buddy. I watched enough games last season to know using that statistic (which by the way isn't even true as we lost to Villarreal) as a way of proving DJ's value is reductive reasoning.

Raveneye

Be nuts to change that, given how well they played. Donny could only realistically come in for James. I don't know who else he'd displace
    I've actually changed my mind on this one. Southampton are a set piece team. Fred and McTominay are going to be needed for this one, especially the latter. But Matic and Donny will be much more suited to unlock Wolves.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    I could see one of Sancho or Martial starting in place of James. Slight chance of both and Pogba going in midfield. Matic/Donny aren't starting though, and no chance for Varane either I feel.

pav1790

DDG
    Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    McT Fred
    Sancho Bruno Pogba
    Greenwood​
    I could see one of Sancho or Martial starting in place of James. Slight chance of both and Pogba going in midfield. Matic/Donny aren't starting though, and no chance for Varane either I feel.
    :nono: Pogba on the left only works if there's a defensively disciplined midfielder/forward on the other side. Why? Because Shaw is one of our best attacking outlets. If you put Pogba ahead of him, someone has to cover the left flank. Means if the other pivot has to cover the right flank, that's midfield gone. Many times Greenwood or Rashford has been tried and teams have sliced us open.

Sancho on left, Greenwood on right and Martial through the middle - I can see.

How's their midfield? If not too energetic, we might get by with Pogba and Bruno playing ahead of Matic.

Highfather_24

:nono: Pogba on the left only works if there's a defensively disciplined midfielder/forward on the other side.
    This is simply not true. We have had some amazing games where we dominated/played well and we had Pogba on the left and Rashford/Greenwood on the right. Like against Roma, Leipzig, City, Liverpool etc. Pogba is no better/worse defensively than Rashford/Sancho on the left.

pav1790

This is simply not true. We have had some amazing games where we dominated/played well and we had Pogba on the left and Rashford/Greenwood on the right. Like against Roma, Leipzig, City, Liverpool etc. Pogba is no better/worse defensively than Rashford/Sancho on the left.
    Hm.. you may have a point there re the other folks who might play in his stead. And if S'ton play deep we might well need Pogba's creativity. I was more focused on Pogba not keeping the width, wanting to create from central areas and thus leaving our left flank a bit exposed. If Rashford or Sancho play on the left they would occupy their right back and their right midfielder/forward is 1-1 against Shaw. That, he can deal with.

Edit : Of course in the case of Pogba playing on left our CF - whoever - is asked to play in the left channel when Pogba goes central in order to make sure the left flank is not overloaded.

KennyBurner

:nono: Pogba on the left only works if there's a defensively disciplined midfielder/forward on the other side. Why? Because Shaw is one of our best attacking outlets. If you put Pogba ahead of him, someone has to cover the left flank. Means if the other pivot has to cover the right flank, that's midfield gone. Many times Greenwood or Rashford has been tried and teams have sliced us open.

Sancho on left, Greenwood on right and Martial through the middle - I can see.

How's their midfield? If not too energetic, we might get by with Pogba and Bruno playing ahead of Matic.
    The part about pogba is wrong. Your assuming pogba doesn’t track back and won’t help cover is very wrong. The problem for pogba at United is his giving the ball away deep in our half. The only reason he isn’t playing in the middle is because of this exactly. I personally think it’s safe to play him on the left regardless what midfield personnel we use. I think we might have to come to terms that pogba is now regarded a left midfielder for us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 62% of 307 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions