Kick-off
Sun, 22 August 2021 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

While we were excellent against Leeds like last season they play very open which suits us. I want to see us against teams that sit deep and make it difficult to break down they we’re are undoing.
    While this is Southampton first home game and they will be up for it I feel with the players they have lost they will sit deep and compact. Hope we see the Pogba-Bruno combo and Sancho as I feel James is only decent with space in behind and Southampton won’t give any
    Yep agree with this. Let Sancho, Pogba, Bruno and Greenwood light it up.

I'd keep Lindelof and let Varane start at OT. You don't want opposition fans having a field day with your shiny new centre half.

I'd also start Donny ahead of Fred for his better press resistance. These boys do like a high press.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    If Southampton take the cautious approach, makes no sense to play James. We will not hurt them and Dan - AWB is not creative enough. I am not sure though whether Sancho is ready to start, he hasn't been training for long has he?

Skills

Snitch
    If Southampton take the cautious approach, makes no sense to play James. We will not hurt them and Dan - AWB is not creative enough. I am not sure though whether Sancho is ready to start, he hasn't been training for long has he?
    I think he'll start. It's not unusual for managers to be a bit cautious with the first game of the season, but then 2nd onwards you'll expect the players to be ready. He may only get 65 mins but Ole will hope that's enough to wrap the game up

Andersons Dietician

:nono: Pogba on the left only works if there's a defensively disciplined midfielder/forward on the other side. Why? Because Shaw is one of our best attacking outlets. If you put Pogba ahead of him, someone has to cover the left flank. Means if the other pivot has to cover the right flank, that's midfield gone. Many times Greenwood or Rashford has been tried and teams have sliced us open.

Sancho on left, Greenwood on right and Martial through the middle - I can see.

How's their midfield? If not too energetic, we might get by with Pogba and Bruno playing ahead of Matic.
    Hog wash, we’ve played similar loads of times and had great performances. Fred and McT are enough to hold that down. It’s basically the entire point of their existence in the team and they constantly cover the flanks when Bissaka or Shaw is pushed up.

Think of how we’ve played against the likes of Toure. It was always Fred or Matic getting across to help out Williams but when it was Shaw we let him go one on one and Shaw still got forward with Fred covering him. As others have said Pogba is no worse than Rashford or Sancho in defensive work.

The only real doubt would be does Ole think Sancho and Martial are ready/fit enough yet. Then it might change.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
    Varane isn’t going to start. He hasn’t even trained with us yet. Sancho might start. Please no more James. Even Elanga is a better option. It’s ridiculous we are sending Amad on loan yet we still keep James.
    I am sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. James is working his socks off defensively - and you can always rely on him to do his defensive duties even when he is struggling going forward. Would you reply on Amad tracking back to stop Robertson at Anfield ? I wouldn't. In the last 28 games Dan James has been involved in, we have lost once (Palace at home last season). If he was that awful, there would be a lot more and OGS wouldn't play him.

Mike Smalling

Get the 2 new boys started and Cavani off the bench.

This. I don't see any reason to postpone the introduction of Varane. He is a world class player who we have brought in for the starting line-up - he doesn't need two full weeks of training before he can play a game. Pogba and Sancho will be good the right players to break down a potentially stubborn defense.

Can't wait for this!

AgentSmith

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay - Fred
    Sancho - Bruno - Pogba
    Greenwood​

Performance against Leeds was too good to make a lot of changes to the XI imo, however tempting it may be.

Hopefully see Cavani and Varane off the bench with a view to starting the week after.

8thWonder

This. I don't see any reason to postpone the introduction of Varane. He is a world class player who we have brought in for the starting line-up - he doesn't need two full weeks of training before he can play a game. Pogba and Sancho will be good the right players to break down a potentially stubborn defense.

Can't wait for this!
    Why not?

I'm pretty certain Lindelof starts this one as well, and makes sense if Varane isn't fit yet. No need to rush him.

Kaos

Tbh Lindelolf didn't put in a foot wrong against Leeds for the most part, so he should start. We should perhaps give Varane maybe 20 mins or so.

Sancho should definitely start though, James doesn't really offer us anything against this poor Southampton side so would love to see Jadon given a full 90minutes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    I am sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. James is working his socks off defensively - and you can always rely on him to do his defensive duties even when he is struggling going forward. Would you reply on Amad tracking back to stop Robertson at Anfield ? I wouldn't. In the last 28 games Dan James has been involved in, we have lost once (Palace at home last season). If he was that awful, there would be a lot more and OGS wouldn't play him.
    Amad is actually very good in his defensive duties and presses aggresively. But he's small and skinny so I'm sure people havent picked that up.

Also, didnt we lose as many games as City over the season? So that wasnt really our problem, but rather drawing quite a lot of matches. What is our ppg like with/without James? And you'd have to look at the opponents when we start James typically. I love how people are running with that stat, but it is still a good stat regardless.

4231: de Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, Fred; Fernandes; Sancho, Greenwood, Pogba.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    How’s Varane meant to get match fitness without playing matches? Stick him in.

RuudTom83

United won't play again at Old Trafford for another 3.5 weeks so Varane will have to start his United career away at the Southampton or away at Wolves.

No need to rush him though so I'd trust Ole and the staff, if he looks a little behind the rest it will be Wolves. Sancho has a better shout for starting against Southampton after the friendly against Burnley.

Any sign of Cavani yet?

zenith

Can see the same team as last week starting with Sancho instead of James. A front line of greenwood, Sancho, pogba and bruno should be more than enough to score goals against anyone.

I'm becoming quite a fan of the McFred combo and in front of two solid center backs, they provide enough protection for full backs to bomb forward as well

lysglimt

Scout
    Amad is actually very good in his defensive duties and presses aggresively. But he's small and skinny so I'm sure people havent picked that up.

Also, didnt we lose as many games as City over the season? So that wasnt really our problem, but rather drawing quite a lot of matches. What is our ppg like with/without James? And you'd have to look at the opponents when we start James typically. I love how people are running with that stat, but it is still a good stat regardless.
    We lost 6 in the league - James was not involved in a single defeat since the opening match against Palace. And he was involved in 26 I think.

As for Amad - he is small, he is skinny and he is not rapid like James is. I think Amad is going to be a really good player, but what he has shown for United and for the Ivory Coast in the olympics clearly indicates he is not ready to play regularly in the Premier League. Dan James is - even if he probably isn't good enough to be a regular for us.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    We lost 6 in the league - James was not involved in a single defeat since the opening match against Palace. And he was involved in 26 I think.

As for Amad - he is small, he is skinny and he is not rapid like James is. I think Amad is going to be a really good player, but what he has shown for United and for the Ivory Coast in the olympics clearly indicates he is not ready to play regularly in the Premier League. Dan James is - even if he probably isn't good enough to be a regular for us.
    I dont really know how this is a reply to my post, and I easily disagree with your assessment. Wasnt he like MoTM contender twice in his last two PL starts?

Red00012

I reckon Matic and Donny might start this game. They've been training so much together as a pair, seems obvious they're meant to rotate with Fred and McTominay who had a high intensity game against Leeds.
    Absolutely zero chance mate

This, so much. Being fit and disciplined enough to do a really good job off the ball is a skill set that not many players have - certainly not many players can do it consistently. If you're watching on TV you don't see the off the ball work done by James or Fred, for example. And so we say they're shit, based only on their on the ball work and ignoring the things they are best at.

I think we assume that this is work that anyone can do - it just takes the right attitude and the right instruction. But this clearly isn't true. You can't ask Rashford to play like James, even though no-one can doubt Rashford's work ethic - James is just better and more reliable than Rashford in this role. I would be worried to see Amad starting against Liverpool or City, but if James started I'd trust him to do a job on them.

Raveneye

Absolutely zero chance mate
    I already adjusted my opinion in a later post. Matic and Donny won't be starting this game due to Southhampton's set piece threat demanding McTominay's muscle. But I reckon Matic and Donny will have their shot soon.

Indnyc

We won 15 out of 24 Games that James played in all competitions.

TeamHome/AwayMinutes PlayedResult
    Crystal PalaceAway
    45​
    Lost
    NewcastleAway
    76​
    Won
    ChelseaHome
    58​
    Draw
    LeedsHome
    90​
    Won
    LeicesterAway
    54​
    Draw
    Aston VillaHome
    3​
    Won
    SouthamptonHome
    30​
    Won
    NewcastleHome
    88​
    Won
    ChelseaAway
    90​
    Draw
    Crystal PalaceAway
    14​
    Draw
    Man CityAway
    90​
    Won
    West HamHome
    90​
    Won
    BrightonHome
    18​
    Won
    LeedsAway
    76​
    Draw
    WolvesAway
    90​
    Won
    Watford (FA Cup)Home
    69​
    Won
    Brighton (EFL Cup)Away
    69​
    Won
    Real SociedadAway
    90​
    Won
    Real SociedadHome
    59​
    Draw
    AC MilanHome
    74​
    Draw
    AC MilanAway
    90​
    Won
    GranadaAway
    90​
    Won
    GranadaHome
    30​
    Won
    VillarrealNeutral
    5​
    Loss on Penalties

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
    Supports
    Ajax & United
    We won 15 out of 24 Games that James played in all competitions.

TeamHome/AwayMinutes PlayedResult
    Crystal PalaceAway
    45​
    Lost
    NewcastleAway
    76​
    Won
    ChelseaHome
    58​
    Draw
    LeedsHome
    90​
    Won
    LeicesterAway
    54​
    Draw
    Aston VillaHome
    3​
    Won
    SouthamptonHome
    30​
    Won
    NewcastleHome
    88​
    Won
    ChelseaAway
    90​
    Draw
    Crystal PalaceAway
    14​
    Draw
    Man CityAway
    90​
    Won
    West HamHome
    90​
    Won
    BrightonHome
    18​
    Won
    LeedsAway
    76​
    Draw
    WolvesAway
    90​
    Won
    Watford (FA Cup)Home
    69​
    Won
    Brighton (EFL Cup)Away
    69​
    Won
    Real SociedadAway
    90​
    Won
    Real SociedadHome
    59​
    Draw
    AC MilanHome
    74​
    Draw
    AC MilanAway
    90​
    Won
    GranadaAway
    90​
    Won
    GranadaHome
    30​
    Won
    VillarrealNeutral
    5​
    Loss on Penalties
    Looks really good.

MrBest

De gea
    Awb varane maguire shaw
    Fred or Mctominay
    Bruno DVB
    Sancho Greenwood Pogba

It's time to go 433, we have Varane now, enough with the double pivot please.

MrBest

This, so much. Being fit and disciplined enough to do a really good job off the ball is a skill set that not many players have - certainly not many players can do it consistently. If you're watching on TV you don't see the off the ball work done by James or Fred, for example. And so we say they're shit, based only on their on the ball work and ignoring the things they are best at.

I think we assume that this is work that anyone can do - it just takes the right attitude and the right instruction. But this clearly isn't true. You can't ask Rashford to play like James, even though no-one can doubt Rashford's work ethic - James is just better and more reliable than Rashford in this role. I would be worried to see Amad starting against Liverpool or City, but if James started I'd trust him to do a job on them.
    I'd trust him to do a defensive job, but attacking wise, i would expect him to offer not much. What do you want more from your winger? I'd rather balance, this is what Rashford gives you, when fully fit of course. Ive not seen enough of Amad, 20 senior games maybe, most with bit minutes, i wouldn't make an assumption on him just yet, his level of balance is incredible, and id say, maybe gets pushed over less than James when attacking. I wont disagree with James work ethic though, it's park ji sung level.

I'd trust him to do a defensive job, but attacking wise, i would expect him to offer not much. What do you want more from your winger? I'd rather balance, this is what Rashford gives you, when fully fit of course. Ive not seen enough of Amad, 20 senior games maybe, most with bit minutes, i wouldn't make an assumption on him just yet, his level of balance is incredible, and id say, maybe gets pushed over less than James when attacking. I wont disagree with James work ethic though, it's park ji sung level.
    Oh I have really really high hopes for Amad and I'm sure that long term he will give the team much more in an attacking sense. James will probably stay here for 2 years or so and get moved on in time. But I think for our squad right now we want as many different options as possible, so we can play in lots of different ways.

It's better for Amad to go on loan and James to stay because Amad would be an alternative creative option off the right or maybe the centre. But we have loads of attacking creative options for those positions, and I want Amad to have lots of first team action this season. We don't have any other wingers who will do what James does off the ball - maybe Lingard - and for 5 or 6 games a year that will be useful. I don't mind if james literally only plays those 5 or 6 games, I'm not worried about his development in the way I worry about Amad's if he sits on the bench all year waiting for Sancho and Greenwood to lose all form.

Lemon Moon

I actually don't think this is a game for McFred.
    Scott to sit deep and Donny + Bruno in front with Donny dropping into the 'Fred' role when we're not in possession.

This is a game for Sancho on the wing & not James, Sancho will do a better job of unlocking the compact defence.

Not sure if Varane will start... Lindelof played very well last week.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
    What happens if Lindelof is brilliant against Southampton as well? I don’t disagree with you but surely if Varane is ready he has to play.
    Surely the whole point is that Varane has to get his place on merit. If Lindelof suddenly becomes world class because of the competition then that's good. Didn't something similar happen to Shaw?

Fingeredmouse

Surely the whole point is that Varane has to get his place on merit. If Lindelof suddenly becomes world class because of the competition then that's good. Didn't something similar happen to Shaw?
    Twice previously player's player of the year Shaw? No.

Dve

........................ De Gea

Bad-Boy-Bissaka - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw

............ McTominay - Matic

.................... Fernandes

.... Sancho - Greenwood - Pogba

RedDevilRoshi

Can’t see Ole making too many changes after an excellent result and performance this past weekend against Leeds Utd.

Starting XI:

De Gea

Wan-Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

McTominay - Fred

Greenwood - Fernandes - Pogba

Martial​

Subs: Heaton, Dalot, Bailly, Varane, Van De Beek, Matic, Mata, Sancho, James

Score Prediction - Southampton 0-4 Manchester United

Gerald G

If Varane wasn't included in the squad for the friendly on Tuesday then I really doubt that he will start on Sunday. Obviously it's still a few days of training after that game but think Ole will stick with Lindelof for this game. However, I think Sancho could get his first start here.

De Gea
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
    McTominay--Fred
    Sancho--Bruno--Pogba
    Greenwood

Subs: Heaton; Dalot, Varane, Bailly; Matic, Van de Beek; Lingard, Mata/James, Martial

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood start on the right and Martial start up top. But I would go with this formation. I think the game comes too soon for Cavani. Our bench is getting quite strong and I would also consider having James on the bench instead of Mata​

Motorman

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Fred McTominay
    Bruno
    Sancho Greenwood Pogba

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    I mean in theory yes but I don’t think it’s that likely that Lindelof suddenly becomes world class while Varane can’t push him out. Varane is a proven top class defender and not only that he offers certain attributes that we severely miss and could use. I think for what it’s worth Lindelof will still play at the weekend with a view to being in Varane either next week or after the international break.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
    Good thing Ings and Vestergaard aren't there anymore. We really should be winning this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 62% of 307 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions