Southgate considering Greenwood for Nations League ties against Iceland and Denmark [Ornstein for the Athletic]

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'll almost certainly be going to the euros, so makes sense to bed him in before that. I'd take Saka as well although he'll likely take longer to get a place due to being so attacking he'll have to play more and more as a winger to get a starting spot.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
CHO had a couple of good games and was in the squad straight away. Based on form, there's no question, in my opinion.
CHO was in the U21 squad and 4 players getting injured meant Southgate moved him up to the senior squad.

Greenwood absolutely deserves it more now than CHO did then but it was players pulling out of the squad and Ghana trying to get him to switch that resulted in CHOs callup.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Southgate is pretty bold honestly he has called pretty much every talented youth player around without waiting for any of them to prove themselves in the long run (Sancho being an exception)

I remember CHO being called up despite having never started a PL game

Not sure if It's good for the kids, definitely a unique approach tbh

Righteous Steps

Put Ings in for Tammy then. DCL offers something that none of the rest do. Ings is a better finisher, DCL is a better overall player.
I agree he offers something they don’t, in an Emile Heskey sort of way, but I don’t agree he is a better footballer than Ings, ability wise Ings is on another level, better touch, better dribbler and of course more deadly in the box. My front 4 would be Rashford Kane Ings Greenwood, Kane already offers an aerial presence and the ability to bring other players in, DCL isn’t needed till he can make the gap up in terms of scoring.

Right now him and Tammy would be my next options.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I agree he offers something they don’t, in an Emile Heskey sort of way, but I don’t agree he is a better footballer than Ings, ability wise Ings is on another level, better touch, better dribbler and of course more deadly in the box. My front 4 would be Rashford Kane Ings Greenwood, Kane already offers an aerial presence and the ability to bring other players in, DCL isn’t needed till he can make the gap up in terms of scoring.

Right now him and Tammy would be my next options.
Have to agree to disagree on this one.

Stretender

This would be a big mistake. He should be playing for the under 21's. I don't get the people saying it's a good idea. The English press if full of Liverpool and Arsenal supporting muppets and as soon as he doesn't perform they will crucify him. I don't care about what anyone says but the gutter press is everything I hate about this country. They will put too much expectation on him, and when he disappoints they will crush him.Stupid decision by Southgate.

How many English strikers have scored 15 goals this season?

Both Rashford and Kane have had big injuries, and been out for a long time. Deserves a call up.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Our first taste of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho in the same starting 11?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The thing with Greenwood though is I just know we will perform. I don't have a single doubt that if he gets in those same positions he is scoring because its just natural to him, simply has to be in the squad for me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Rashford deserves to start over Sancho given how both players have played for England.
Definitely. Kane and Sterling are a given, and Rashford has performed better than Sancho for England so far, so I agree. Though, to me, Rashford still doesn't seem to be completely over his injury. He's been very reluctant to run with the ball since returning, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him start on the bench.

From a United perspective, I would like to see the aforementioned three play together, though! With Grealish just behind. We could potentially see that for us next year!

Revan

Assumptionman
Aside from just Greenwood, this is the first time in ages that I can think of an England squad where you would feel sorry for someone for missing out rather than the days of when we struggled to find players which led to people like Rickie Lambert being called up.

CB and CM have overtaken the forward options in that sense.
Good days!

I might be doing some disservice to the team of 2004-2010, but on players quality, especially on attack, this England team is more exciting. In Kane and Sterling, they have 2 world class players, with Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood having world-class potential. It is very likely that the team will have 5 world-class attackers very soon, which is kind of insane. I mean, in WC 2022, if no injuries, two 100M+ attackers are gonna sit on the bench.

Jonno

Put Greenwood in any team in world football and he'll bang in goals. He's good enough for England, but I don't believe England really need him just yet. It will be good for him to get in the squad and come off the bench.

Funnily enough i've read everywhere that United have been trying to surpress his talents and exposure for years, looks like the secret is now out!

Fully Fledged

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Hudson-Odoi got called up at 18 for much much less.

On current form Greenwood & Foden should start.
I'd actually say that Mason Mount should start ahead of Foden. Certainly getting a lot more minutes, and looks good with it. Personally think that today it'd be Sterling, Kane and Sancho in the forward line, with Henderson, Mount and A.N.Other in midfield... possibly Barkley.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Interesting, thanks. I thought he'd be in the Fergie school regarding this.
Could still be the case. If he isn't called up to the senior team he'd not be resting at home but playing for the U21s. If you're Greenwood's manager you'd much rather want him to train on first class facilities and sit on the bench for the senior NT than train and lead the line for the U21s on dodgy and often artificial pitches.

The Red Thinker

Greenwood being in the training camp alongside supremely talented professionals like Harry Kane, Sterling and Trent can be nothing but good for him. It will motivate him to be even better. So why not. Give him a taste of the big time.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Could still be the case. If he isn't called up to the senior team he'd not be resting at home but playing for the U21s. If you're Greenwood's manager you'd much rather want him to train on first class facilities and sit on the bench for the senior NT than train and lead the line for the U21s on dodgy and often artificial pitches.
Very good points.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Aside from just Greenwood, this is the first time in ages that I can think of an England squad where you would feel sorry for someone for missing out rather than the days of when we struggled to find players which led to people like Rickie Lambert being called up.

CB and CM have overtaken the forward options in that sense.
Dunk for England!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd actually say that Mason Mount should start ahead of Foden. Certainly getting a lot more minutes, and looks good with it. Personally think that today it'd be Sterling, Kane and Sancho in the forward line, with Henderson, Mount and A.N.Other in midfield... possibly Barkley.
You a Chelsea fan by any chance?

Brightonian

Henderson and Rice looks desperate from a footballing point of view but there’s not many if any other options with defensive or positioning capabilities. Maybe a midfield 3
Involving any of Rice Henderson Foden Maddison Grealish
This will never happen but the perfect answer for me is to 'do a Guardiola' and play TAA as a DM. He has all the assets and we've seen over the last six years or so how interchangeable the skillsets of playmaking FB and playmaking DM are. Solves our biggest weakness - no decent DM - and also lets us make more use of our assets - lots of quality RBs.

Henderson
AWB Maguire Gomez Chilwell
TAA Henderson
Sancho Sterling Rashford
Kane​

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
You a Chelsea fan by any chance?
Hell no. I just think that Mount has played more, been more involved in the England setup, and is actually, and quite annoyingly, in really good form. Yup Foden does look a world beater, but all of a sudden England have three, maybe four, potentially very good players in that number 10 position in Foden, Mount, Maddison and Grealish, so you should pick the one that is in form and getting lots of minutes. On both counts, if I were picking a squad today, that'd be Mount

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Accuses someone of bias.

Says Greenwood should start for England!
15 goals in 19 starts predominantly from the wing at 18 years old.

Mount & Barkley are both good players but I think there are better alternatives in the CM/AM positions. I actually enjoy watching Mount play, but he’s competing with Maddison, Alli, Grealish, Foden etc for one position. Neither will be starting for Chelsea next season when they get their players in, which shows their levels. They are good but not good enough to challenge at the top level for PL/CL/Euros/World Cup, which is what both Chelsea & England fans want.

I probably got a little carried away with Greenwood but he’s in better form than Kane, Sterling & Rashford right now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
15 goals in 19 starts predominantly from the wing at 18 years old.

Mount & Barkley are both good players but I think there are better alternatives in the CM/AM positions. I actually enjoy watching Mount play, but he’s competing with Maddison, Alli, Grealish, Foden etc for one position. Neither will be starting for Chelsea next season when they get their players in, which shows their levels. They are good but not good enough to challenge at the top level for PL/CL/Euros/World Cup, which is what both Chelsea & England fans want.

I probably got a little carried away with Greenwood but he’s in better form than Kane, Sterling & Rashford right now.
I bet Mount does start for Chelsea next season even if we get Havertz, he's the perfect foil for an elite bunch of attackers the same way say Pedro was for Pep's Barcelona or Ljungberg was for Arsenal. He'll put in the hard yards some of the superstars would feel less inclined too and doesn't exactly lack in talent either.

Almost all great teams have a case like this in it.

Zlatattack

He'll almost certainly be going to the euros, so makes sense to bed him in before that. I'd take Saka as well although he'll likely take longer to get a place due to being so attacking he'll have to play more and more as a winger to get a starting spot.
Are they not cancelled?

Eire Red United

Definitely not too soon, he’s as good as anyone else England have. Imagine and England front 3 of him, Rashford and Sancho.

Eire Red United

Soon I think Rashy will unfortunately be no.5 in the pecking order for England behind Kane, Sterling, Sancho & Greenwood. Not a slight on him I just think the others are all currently better/potentially better.
I’d have him ahead of Kane for sure at the minute, probably Sterling as well.

siw2007

It would be a difficult 11 to break into. Kane and Sterling play when fit, and then Rashford and Sancho rotate for the final forward position. I'm all for him being part of the England squad, he has the potential to be the best of the lot, but I think he would be a squad option leading up to the euros.