Space Race

:lol:

I do feel a bit sorry for Wally Funk if that's the case especially after being given the pin after decades wanting it. She deserves it as much as the astronauts who made it to space at the time.

Edit - I reckon she'll be given one on merit as per the end of the article if it came to it.
Thats all been hyped up a bit too much. Mercury 13 was a private program to put them through the same screening tests as the real astronauts and see if they could 'pass'. It was never anything to do with Nasa. There was no pass or fail in the real thing, they just took the best, and there was no training involved beyond those few days of tests.

It's a bit like these people who camp out in the desert for a month 'training' to go to Mars.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm a science fiction nerd. I've been imagining and reading stories about space since I was a young kid. This should make me incredibly happy but it just leaves me feeling cold.
Do you want Space to only ever be in the hands of governments?

If we're going to have a 10k person space city in Earth Orbit by the end of the edit: century, it won't be governments that are doing it.

Mars and Lunar bases might still be under government control, but it will quickly be followed by private enterprise.

And all the good and bad that comes with that

Last edited:

Simbo

If we're going to have a 10k person space city in Earth Orbit by the end of the decade, it won't be governments that are doing it.

Mars and Lunar bases might still be under government control, but it will quickly be followed by private enterprise.

I don't reckon. Anything like that would have be under goverment control to protect people's rights etc, exactly as it works now. SpaceX and the like are already heavily restricted by goverment in anything they do. The only alternative to that would be for some private enterprise to set up their own competing government/nation somewhere...

rcoobc

I don't reckon. Anything like that would have be under goverment control to protect people's rights etc, exactly as it works now. SpaceX and the like are already heavily restricted by goverment in anything they do. The only alternative to that would be for some private enterprise to set up their own competing government/nation somewhere...
There is "under government control" and the is "public project".

The time is quickly coming that NASAs main function will be NECA; near Earth colonisation administration

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

If we're going to have a 10k person space city in Earth Orbit by the end of the decade, it won't be governments that are doing it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

There is a sub-zero chance of this happening via any administration in any universe. Think how much mass you'd have to get up there and then think how long that would take you, let alone the funding, administration, technical and legal difficulties you'd encounter. There will be self driving cars on the road long before anything remotely like what you're describing happens, and that won't be soon either.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
There is a sub-zero chance of this happening via any administration in any universe. Think how much mass you'd have to get up there and then think how long that would take you, let alone the funding, administration, technical and legal difficulties you'd encounter. There will be self driving cars on the road long before anything remotely like what you're describing happens, and that won't be soon either.
I assume he meant century...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It has to be as the entire Space domain requires some form of governmental regulation to provide an equal playing field for all participants. Ultimately, everyone belongs to a country back on earth and should be required to abide by a basic set of guidelines if they want to go into space.

rcoobc

I assume he meant century...
Whoops....

Century

Balljy

I'm a bit surprised Musk himself hasn't gone into orbit yet. He's probably waiting until they can go around the moon or even land on it.

I'm a bit surprised Musk himself hasn't gone into orbit yet. He's probably waiting until they can go around the moon or even land on it.
He's smart enough to know how dangerous it is.