Spain Euro 2021 - Discussion Thread

RoyH1

I have a low key bet on Spain not getting out of their group. They are going to struggle massively to score and don't have the dominant midfield of past.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Brais Méndez has been called

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He called Rodrigo, Soler and Fornals too.
I had completely forgotten about Fornals. I guess that means he hasn't been doing very well lately

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Translation: OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION | Diego Llorente The RFEF regrets to announce that the international soccer player Diego Llorente has tested positive in the last PCR tests carried out this morning at the National Team concentration in Las Rozas.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Any rumours on who is starting in the centre of defence between Laporte, Garcia and Torres?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't know what Spain can do to give themselves more of a cutting edge but it begins with not playing Morata.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know it's petty, but seeing Spain fail fills me with tremendous joy.

And so does Iniesta going bald before me. Ha, who's the world champion now twat!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure what anyone is thinking using Morata as a lone striker in 2021. He is garbage.

Whose idea was it to vaccinate them all 3 days before the opening game?

Abraxas

I think they're better off with Moreno to begin with and Morata off the bench, if anything. That struck me as the wrong way round. If they're going to play a traditional striker, which perhaps shouldn't be a guarantee, that makes more sense. They pin teams back with their technical play so it's better to have Moreno in the air against deeper sides. Then you maybe use Morata's extra pace against a tired side. Should also make use of Adama as something completely different. How many technical players do you need in a side?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really need to start Moreno instead of Morata.

Players like Ferran and Adama should probably be better off the bench against tired legs instead of starting or not featuring at all

slored1

Lack the decisiveness, as it was in the WC 2018. Side to side boringball is not a very good solution anymore.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
I told it before the game... Morata makes it near impossible to score. Period.

We need Gerard, then Llorente should play in the midfield.

The team lacks of the quality it used to have and we are in a very poor form... but this same team scored 6 against Germany and Croatia in the last 2 years. They can win and lose with anyone and it wouldn't be a surprise to me... but you need 7 games in a row (at least 5) and I don't think we are ready for that.

Any way, I prefer people think we are pretty average (which, we are by some extent)

I know it's petty, but seeing Spain fail fills me with tremendous joy.

And so does Iniesta going bald before me. Ha, who's the world champion now twat!
Comments like yours fills me with tremendous joy over 10 years after the World Cup... :lol:

And now that you ask... Iniesta is still the World Champion... and he will ever be!
bald or not... the star stays where it belongs... :)

SATA

Spain do not have anyone who runs at defenders. It’s all pass and probe and rinse and repeat for ninety full minutes. They need to start Adama Traore in the next game

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This Spain reminds me a lot of Spain at the 2010 World Cup...

... without David Villa.

Can see Spain finishing the group on three points, having drawn three times despite utterly dominating possession.

Easily better than Sweden, just lacked any teeth up front.

Mickson

Didn't really know what to expect from them, but I'm not impressed. Lacked cutting edge up front, which is to be expected (they are not world-class there right now) what should be worrying for them is that Sweden barely had any attack but still missed two sitters. They just couldn't handle Alexander Isak alone.

Patchbeard

... without David Villa.

Can see Spain finishing the group on three points, having drawn three times despite utterly dominating possession.

Would be funny to see them draw 0-0 every time, but they could easily have had 2 or 3 tonight and would've been getting talked up as amazing due to the record possession stats. Olsson the GK should've got the MOTM really.

ti vu

Really need to start Moreno instead of Morata.

Players like Ferran and Adama should probably be better off the bench against tired legs instead of starting or not featuring at all
This.

At least Moreno showed that he can ask question. Pumping crosses and having a forward that know to cause havoc may eventually result in something. With Morata, he just has so many games when his teammates just better to ignore him. Guessing when he would turn up in good form for a game is not worth it especialky during a tournament with so few games, and any games can decide your fate.

Not writing off Spain since what tournament has taught us as long as they're not eliminated, they still have a chance. Portugal didn't have an impressive group stage, and ended up winning the last one.

SATA

Can’t believe we tried to buy Morata for 75M. Lukaku for all his faults is certainly a better striker than him

Can’t believe we tried to buy Morata for 75M. Lukaku for all his faults is certainly a better striker than him
I don’t rate Lukaku, and his time at United was really poor. But, yes just imagine buying Morata!

both really poor signings by United and Chelsea - but there was literally no other strikers available that summer.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If you don't have the strikers, then surely you must put goal scoring threats around them right? Nope llorente at RB, and 2 incredibly inexperienced wingers to support the woeful Morata.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Going slightly against the grain, but I thought Spain were decent and could have won the game 2 or 3-0. Start Moreno and possibly Adama and they will cause a lot of team problems. Llorente needs to play in midfield too.

NoPace

Ferran Torres on the right makes little sense if they’re gonna just have the wingers stretch the pitch wide. If you’re doing that might as well have Oyarzabal linking up and cutting in or Adama running at the lb over and over.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Oryazabal and Moreno not starting really odd for me. What were Enrique's reasons?

Robertd0803

Jesus they were brutal to watch tonight. Still should have won the game but hard to see where the cutting edge is going to come from.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
917 passes, all for a little blood.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

... without David Villa.

No way.

2010 Spain had plenty of threat... They just faced parked 747s in every match.