Spanish, German or French Golden Generation

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why is Spain the greatest international side ever? I’m pretty sure Brazil 1997 to 2002 was better and achieved more. Copa America twice, Confederations cup and World Cup finals twice winning 1. That side with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho, Carlos, Cafu was superior to anything I’ve seen in world and club football. I’m in my 30s
Really ? I saw them lose the final of France 98 pretty poorly. And in 2002 I thought they did well as they had great individuals but as a collective they weren't that impressive to me. Reckon Spain would beat them. Also surprised you think 2002 Brazil was better than peak Messi-led Barcelona. But to each their own I guess.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Feel like people throw 'golden generation' out too much.

Any team that wins something has a golden generation?
No, it's about having quality in more than 6-8 players on the starting line-up.

No one mentions Greece 2004 for a reason, neither Portugal 2016, which aside from Ronaldo,Pepe, and Quaresma, they didn't have that much.
Portugal 2000-2006 was superior in quality than Portugal 2016...of course, most people won't remember cause they didn't win a trophy.

BlackShark_80

Spain 2008 - 2012 : achieved the most by far, winning everything available during that time period.

Germany 2010 - 16 : probably the most consistent over a longer period of time with a WC SF, WC, 2x Euro SF. Probably the most entertaining of the lot and the 7-1 World Cup Semi Final win over Brazil is the most memorable game of the 21st century so far.

France 2016 - now : they're still in the middle of the ride at the moment with a WC, and another Euro finals.

Now obviously Spain achieved the most by far with 2 euros & a world cup. But in terms of talent, were they really that far ahead of Germany & this current French group of players? Do Germany have enough to show for with just 1 WC considering the talent they've had in the last decade?
Germany golden generation was during 72-74, while France was during 98-00.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Really ? I saw them lose the final of France 98 pretty poorly. And in 2002 I thought they did well as they had great individuals but as a collective they weren't that impressive to me. Reckon Spain would beat them. Also surprised you think 2002 Brazil was better than peak Messi-led Barcelona. But to each their own I guess.
Individually Brazil 1997-2002 was superior to Spain, so was France 98-2001.
However if we take in account collective chemistry Spain 2008-2012 was obviously superior than Brazil and France, as they were more dominant.

Brazil 70 was better than Spain 2008-2012, in names and collective. Also considered by many best national team ever along with Netherlands 74.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
A big part of Spain looking so dull in 2010 was del Bosque only realizing that Torres has become crap aftee the Switzerland game, with this causing him to change to playing with only one up top.

You cannot really argue with them winning three in a row, although I do have to say that I think that both peak Germany and France woupd have defeated that side.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
When people say a team has under performed by only winning a world Cup I sometimes think I'm watching a different sport.

Winning a world Cup is absolutely sensational, literally the pinnacle of football. It is just impossible to talk of under performing from a team who has done that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Spain (won the most trophies and deservedly so) > Germany (all those consecutive semi finals and the 7-1) > France (played the worst football among the three, had the shortest peak - for now)

Lebo

Fair enough I’ll give you that. That Barca team was insane.

but for international football, I’ve never seen a team with so much talent as that one. That Final was a poor match by a great team. They proved it the following year by winning the Copa America and the following World Cup.

amazing thing about Brazilians( to be fair the french too) is that they hardly benefited from combinations built at club football. Unlike Spain and Germany which is one of the biggest obstacles in international football.

if there was a World Cup tournament tomorrow and I had to bet on any of these teams in a neutral location, I’ll put my money on the Brazilians winning it .

Skills

Snitch
There's a chance the French one will go back to back.

I jinxed them last time making this during the euros

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's not even a debate. Spain were arguably the most dominant national team in history.

Germany v France is a better debate. Both have 1 World Cup, I suppose Germany reached the later stages more.

That being said, this French generation is far from over. They have another train coming through and they can easily accomplish a lot in the next international tournaments.
Looked at my last comment and pretty much still this. If France can win this World Cup then they'll go above Germany, but Spain is still above the rest. They were dominant and scary, this France team have been beaten by Switzerland and not looked as dominant. Spain from 2008-2012 were mostly unbeatable in competitive football.

Skills

Snitch
Looked at my last comment and pretty much still this. If France can win this World Cup then they'll go above Germany, but Spain is still above the rest. They were dominant and scary, this France team have been beaten by Switzerland and not looked as dominant. Spain from 2008-2012 were mostly unbeatable in competitive football.
I think what's scary about the french is just the never ending talent supply line. They're still young, and there's more feckers coming through year after year.

AshRK

There's a chance the French one will go back to back.

I jinxed them last time making this during the euros
Well to be fair if not for that strange final 15 minutes against Swiss, they would have likely won the euros.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think either Germany or the current France, even if they win it this year, are / were special teams compared to their title winning peers. Both "just" high quality teams, that had the necessary luck and skill in the right moment(s).

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don`t think germany has a golden generation because in general we have been to consistent to highlight one team and even if you had to pick: how can 10-16 be our (the germans) golden generation, when 70-74 was way more "golden".Just compare the players it does not add up.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think what's scary about the french is just the never ending talent supply line. They're still young, and there's more feckers coming through year after year.
It's amazing and something one can only admire.

Since the mid 90's France have had an incredible streak of consistently producing talents (including the host of French born players who choose to play for countries of their heritage). It's easily the best place for talent in the world.

They weren't very relevant on the world stage before the 90s and are now favourites to win their third World Cup in less than 25 years, to add to their European championship in 2000. No other national team can point to such consistent performances during that time period. They have been hamstrung by internal politics and not great managers, including Deschamps for me, but have still found success.

With how many youngsters they have in their current squad the consistent performances will definitely continue on as well.

Historically Germany has been the best European footballing nation with their long standing international and European success, but France will be quickly catch up with them.

thekman

Supports
Juventus
German golden generation was quite clearly in the 70s, a team that featured probably their two greatest talents in Muller and Beckenbaeur. And they beat an amazing Holland team to win the World Cup in 74.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Isn't 1998 to 2001 France more of a golden generation than the current squad ?

They did follow the World Cup win with a Euro win and a Confederations Cup win.
I'd go as far as saying France 1998-2004 and yes I include their elimination in WC 2002 (where Zidane got injured in a friendly just before the beginning of the tournament) and their loss again Greece in the Euro 2004.

Spain are the winner by some distance and no they weren't boring, their opponents were just terrified and systematically parked the double decker against them. Germany were fun to watch and a refreshing change for those who watched them before Klinsmann/Löw era.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's amazing and something one can only admire.

Since the mid 90's France have had an incredible streak of consistently producing talents (including the host of French born players who choose to play for countries of their heritage). It's easily the best place for talent in the world.

They weren't very relevant on the world stage before the 90s and are now favourites to win their third World Cup in less than 25 years, to add to their European championship in 2000. No other national team can point to such consistent performances during that time period. They have been hamstrung by internal politics and not great managers, including Deschamps for me, but have still found success.

With how many youngsters they have in their current squad the consistent performances will definitely continue on as well.

Historically Germany has been the best European footballing nation with their long standing international and European success, but France will be quickly catch up with them.
France were very relevant in the 80's. From 82 to 86 they had a fantastic team (first Euro in 1984), much more talented than the ones who actually won the WC.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Spain around 2010/12 felt like this. Pique, Busquets and Pedro were still in their early 20s. Once Xavi aged you could withdraw Iniesta into his position and add Thiago in the advanced role.
Isco had unreal technique, Muniain wasn't bad, and there was an emerging youth striker to complete the team...Morata. De Gea ready to step into massive shoes. Alba and Carvajal were excellent emerging fullbacks at massive clubs.

Turns out Xavi aged, Iniesta couldn't replace him, and that ended everything.

NoPace

Spain in a neutral zone for sure, but I might pick Germany to get them over 2 legs by pressing or countering to success at home.

NoPace

Spain around 2010/12 felt like this. Pique, Busquets and Pedro were still in their early 20s. Once Xavi aged you could withdraw Iniesta into his position and add Thiago in the advanced role.
Isco had unreal technique, Muniain wasn't bad, and there was an emerging youth striker to complete the team...Morata. De Gea ready to step into massive shoes. Alba and Carvajal were excellent emerging fullbacks at massive clubs.

Turns out Xavi aged, Iniesta couldn't replace him, and that ended everything.
The youth teams were cooking and looked like they'd produce huge stars, too, like Javi Martinez, Oliver Torres and as you say Munain. I still can't believe neither of Torres or Muniain became a Silva/Mata level player. Also guys like Fabregas becoming top 10 players in the world at their peak and stars of the team.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
France were very relevant in the 80's. From 82 to 86 they had a fantastic team (first Euro in 1984), much more talented than the ones who actually won the WC.
That's true, I was commenting more generally from the 1950s. France haven't been consistently a top team especially when you compare to how they are now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Spain

Best results and an all time midfield paring, that alone gets you so far.

It was just a really solid team their defense was exceptional (although Ramos hadn't hit his peak quite yet and they also had a pretty decent attack as well with villa and Torres (well before 2010 at least .

Also u can't empathize how fecking good their midfield was, imagine having David fecking silva and xabi Alonso on top of the all time xavi Iniesta combo plus Busquets, just ridiculous.

Germany comes second, not quite great up to but solid every where else and 2 great players in lahm and Bastian, they were also incredible consistent, they made the semi's every single time from 2010 to 2016, impressed.

I'll put France last even though they may make history this year, they're midfield is lack luster to me and they can't compensate for it in others areas to be better than the others.

It's still a great fecking team and probably has the best attack out of the three.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Also as others have said, france's true golden generation was the 1998 to 2000 one and with Germany you could either pick their late 80s to 90 team or the more established and influential 1974 to 1976 team.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Spain by far. They were untouchable. France are wasting this generation of players with Deschamps.
Don't see how. One final in the Euro 2016 lost by a stroke of luck, 1 WC in 2018 and a good chance to win it in 2022 with 5 starters out of the team. Their football might not always be easy on the eye but you can't argue with the results he got.

Luke1995

I'd go as far as saying France 1998-2004 and yes I include their elimination in WC 2002 (where Zidane got injured in a friendly just before the beginning of the tournament) and their loss again Greece in the Euro 2004.

Spain are the winner by some distance and no they weren't boring, their opponents were just terrified and systematically parked the double decker against them. Germany were fun to watch and a refreshing change for those who watched them before Klinsmann/Löw era.
Why did Spain suddenly got worse after 2012 though ?

In 2013 they were doing an OK confederations cup. Not great, but not bad. Brazil beating them in the final was a bit of a shock.

Still, no one thought that their 2014 WC campaign would go as badly as it went. Do great teams in football just lose their ability like that ?

Righteous Steps

In 2013 they were doing an OK confederations cup. Not great, but not bad. Brazil beating them in the final was a bit of a shock.

Still, no one thought that their 2014 WC campaign would go as badly as it went. Do great teams in football just lose their ability like that ?
Because they got stuck in their ways, and as many people who fell in love with that Spanish generation at one point they almost forgot that football is also a sport and you can’t just overload the team with diminutive playmakers and neglect the other positions where you need bucketloads of pace penetration and athleticism, this applies particularly in the wide forward and striker positions.

Spain without a Torres or Villa particular probably don’t have as much success, Barcelona had Dani Alves who was a phenom athlete as well as being good on the ball, they also had the GOAT in Messi.

Spain will be good again if they can find top wide players and a top striker, they still produce good midfielders but that’s not enough to win the big trophies, in isolation their Golden generation was a one off anyways even the main proponents of that style have had to adapt(Guardiola) and till they do they will continue to be bettered by nations like France who have a better balance of quality around the pitch as opposed to just having their main talents all in one or two positions.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Their cycle of enough of the most important players still being in their prime had come to an end by 2014, not unusual for a great era to end/immediately follow with a flop.

It's not like they've been bad since the 2014 debacle, they still control the majority of play in 98% of games, having retained being the strongest possession focused international team in europe/the world since xavi/iniesta declined, something plenty predicted they would be unable to do. They are by all non-banter standards a very good team that can usually create numerous chances no matter who they play. but they have lacked a clinical, elite forward since Villa declined, while being inconsistent defensively and sometimes too one-paced/methodical. They aren't a versatile team.

Two world cups in a row now where they have been undone by a great defensive performance.

stoinz

Spanish were the most dominant but also the most boring. I hated watching them. The Germans were great to watch but didn't last as long. I'm not really sure about current French team, they get results for sure but they don't excite me compared to the 98 French team.