Sparky scored a cracker

Elcabron

Adore Sparky, such a wonderful player. Think he would be amazing in our current setup, great all-round game, workrate, hold up play - just a dream player to play with.
I've often thought this. Would be brilliant in modern game.

FA Cup equaliser 1990 v palace probably my favourite.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Number 6 in this collection is pretty special. but on personal level it has to be number four - I was there that night and it was that night we knew we'd won our first title in 26 years. the atmosphere at Selhurst that night remains unmatched for me: the place really was rocking... the corrugated iron walls were literally vibrating

Last edited:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
A scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer. Trying to remember who said that about him.

Bobski

I mainly remember him for thunder bastard volleys but he was such a good footballer. I randomly watched a 90 minute replay of the 1994 FA cup final against Chelsea on MUTV. Cantona played in that match and Sparky looked twice the player. His touch, passing and hold up play was incredible. Absolutely bullied all of their defenders. They couldn’t get near the ball. Almost made me weep thinking about our options as a striker right now.
Yes, he was a great talent, always surprised me just how light on his feet he was. Odd player as well in some ways, his hold up play was sensational, touch, strength, ability to turn and play a pass, outstanding technique, also added to a great strike of the ball, but maybe just lacked a yard of pace and the goal-scoring instincts of the very best.

davidmichael

I was at Wembley in 1990 with my Grandad for the FA Cup final and I’d never seen my Grandad as animated or as buzzing as he was when Hughes scored the equaliser in extra time so that’ll always be special to me but the second goal against Barca in the Cup Winners Cup final will always be my personal favourite Hughes goal closely followed by the equaliser against Oldham in 1994.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Loved him, but don't anymore.

I can just about accept the players that went their for a pay day when they were crap but Hughes was looking to build something with money. He wanted to challenge Sir Alex's dominance with a direct rival.

I can't accept that.
He's one of those odd players from the glory period who you never see say anything remotely positive about his time here either.
And you almost suspect he actually dislikes us.

Devil81

He's one of those odd players from the glory period who you never see say anything remotely positive about his time here either.
And you almost suspect he actually dislikes us.
I'm sure I read somewhere he preferred Chelsea to us.

Sad thing about Hughes was he was so loved by United fans, he was a terrace hero yet he let the whole transfer to Chelsea destroy him mentally. He felt he still had plenty to offer United which I actually believe he did but who are we to question Sir Alex. He won the league the following season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm sure I read somewhere he preferred Chelsea to us.

Sad thing about Hughes was he was so loved by United fans, he was a terrace hero yet he let the whole transfer to Chelsea destroy him mentally. He felt he still had plenty to offer United which I actually believe he did but who are we to question Sir Alex. He won the league the following season.
Yep, it was simply a different climate in the early to mid 90s. You didn't operate with a squad in the same way, so you'd have your 15 or 16 players who played most of the games.
So once we had the chance to bring Cole in, something had to give, and it wasn't going to be Cantona.

Albeit his suspension bought Hughes more time.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I very much liked watching Hughes back in the day but looking at his numbers I don't think he ever scored an average of 1 in 2 games in any season. Anyone any idea why this was the case?

Yorke to Cole

I remember being a young kid and thinking he was absolutely awesome.

There was the FA cup 3rd round match against Nottingham Forest (1990) where during the first half, he did this double drag back that took out the Forest midfield near the half way line.

Then in the second half he provided the set up for Robbins, to score what people say in folklore, the goal that saved Ferguson's job. All with the outside of the foot.

One of my favourite goals of his came also in the 3rd round of the FA cup in 1994.

We travelled to Bramell Lane to play Sheffield United, who incidentally knocked us out the previous season in a 2-1 defeat ( Steve Bruce, missed a penalty that would have earned a replay).

The winning goal came during the second half after 12-13 pass move when Hughes swept the ball in from a narrow angle and in off the post.

Motson, with his commentary said ; "Oh what a fantastic move, what a beautiful goal... count the passes".

I had a feeling from that moment we would go on to not only retain the title but also win the Cup that year. We did... and it was the first time we won the double.

Amir

Yep, it was simply a different climate in the early to mid 90s. You didn't operate with a squad in the same way, so you'd have your 15 or 16 players who played most of the games.
So once we had the chance to bring Cole in, something had to give, and it wasn't going to be Cantona.
While Fergie clearly believed we needed something and someone different upfront (Cole) to open up tight defences, it's hardly as if he sold Hughes by choice. His contract was up, and he wanted to go rather than stay in a reduced role.

Devil81

While Fergie clearly believed we needed something and someone different upfront (Cole) to open up tight defences, it's hardly as if he sold Hughes by choice. His contract was up, and he wanted to go rather than stay in a reduced role.
To be fair you have a better memory than me on that then, I was about 14 when he left but all I know is he was moved on with Ince and Kanchelskis and it was a big shock that summer.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
Back to play nobody touched him. There wasn't a defender's groin his arse hadn't been in.

Him going to City and shit-talking sullied my love of him somewhat.

Amir

To be fair you have a better memory than me on that then, I was about 14 when he left but all I know is he was moved on with Ince and Kanchelskis and it was a big shock that summer.
To be fair, it's less memory from that time and more what Fergie wrote in his books (Hughes was assumed to have signed a new contract in 1995, but there was a delay due to pension stuff and so he was out of contract when the season ended and changed his mind).

It was a shock when all three left, though the legend of how Fergie sold them in order to make way for the younger lads is a bit wrong. Ince is the only one he wanted to let go. The main thing is that once those three were sold, he didn't sign anyone and let the youngsters take their place.

Counterfactual

After which goal did the commentator say, "instinctive and unstoppable, there's no better volleyer in the game"? I remember the comment better than the goal!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This goal got me absolutely bollocked by by mum. I was eating my sunday dinner on my knee while watching the match. They'd had new carpets put down the week before. Hughes scored and I got so excited I jumped up and my sunday dinner went all over the floor and I got gravy and mash in the new carpet.
These are the stories I love reading :D

ATXRedDevil

Number 6 in this collection is pretty special. but on personal level it has to be number four - I was there that night and it was that night we knew we'd won our first title in 26 years. the atmosphere at Selhurst that night remains unmatched for me: the place really was rocking... the corrugated iron walls were literally vibrating

Just knew that comp would be 80% volleys. Incredible player.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes, he was a great talent, always surprised me just how light on his feet he was. Odd player as well in some ways, his hold up play was sensational, touch, strength, ability to turn and play a pass, outstanding technique, also added to a great strike of the ball, but maybe just lacked a yard of pace and the goal-scoring instincts of the very best.
I can see large parts of him in Halaand: the strength, touch and hold-up play. Of course, Halaand has rather more in his locker

Chipper

Adulterer.
A forgotten worldie due to the scoreline

I wonder what won goal of the season that year?
One of the goals Ian Wright scored in the cup final against us. The BBC, who traditionally did/do goal of the season on Match of the Day only had FA Cup rights at that time so no league goals were considered.

Not sure if ITV who had the league rights ran a version but can't find any mention of one.

Edit:
After further digging, ITV ran one on Saint and Greavsie's show at that time. This won.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
One of the goals Ian Wright scored in the cup final against us. The BBC, who traditionally did/do goal of the season on Match of the Day only had FA Cup rights at that time so no league goals were considered.

Not sure if ITV who had the league rights ran a version but can't find any mention of one.

Edit:
After further digging, ITV ran one on Saint and Greavsie's show at that time. This won.
Nowhere near as good as Hughes's goal!

And that Ian Wright goal is bog standard stuff but makes sense of they didn't have the league rights

Speako

In addition to the ones listed already, all of which were fantastic, I remember him scoring a belter in the Rumbelows cup against Liverpool around 1990. Put us 2-0 up and the roof came off, a belting atmosphere in an otherwise desperate season -- Cup run aside.

He also scored to put us 2-1 against them in the league the year before. I loved Sparky, truly great player. To be fair, Stapleton is also criminally underrated (scored the winner v Ipswich on my OT debut).

Foxbatt

He also kicked the hell out of the defenders. He was a good header and also very acrobatic.
I met him when he played against us for Soton at OT. I think it was a draw and he hit a belter against the cross bar. He came out later all by himself after almost everyone has gone. He walked to the public car park and I saw him and said well played Sparky. He said thank you very much and patted me on my shoulder and gave his autograph and got into his car and drove off.