Spurs 2018/19

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, I'd be shocked if we got Martial. United won't sell to a top four rival and with the money Levy demands for Alderweireld etc, you couldn't blame United if they demanded an astronomical fee.

Always looked a long shot. Price, wages and the question of whether United would even sell to a competitive rival, are pretty big hurdles.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
and yes I don't want to comment on many Spurs issues but I feel @SquishyMcSquish is somewhat right in whatever he's saying. Villa were in dire state for the past two months and the Grealish deal was certainly there to be done, but now with the new investment he'll be significantly more expensive than before. Also, Spurs are the only team which hasn't signed anyone and there's only 15 days left in the window, so that should be a concern.
The recent investment in Villa will not affect at all the fact they need to sell players, this is what people need to realise what FFP actually means.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The recent investment in Villa will not affect at all the fact they need to sell players, this is what people need to realise what FFP actually means.
Did you even pay attention to the Villa crisis? Their FFP issues were well documented before, however they were unable to pay the day to day expenses of the club and they even missed a deadline to pay the tax bill. There were serious issues of them being being winded up, they had an urgent need of cash. But now they're out of that danger, due to the takeover. They do need to sell players now but they can wait a bit now and allow a bidding war over Grealish, which will only raise his price.

Do you even support Spurs or are you a Levy shrill, given your urge to label the Spurs fans concerns as "bed wetters"?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Did you even pay attention to the Villa crisis? Their FFP issues were well documented before, however they were unable to pay the day to day expenses of the club and they even missed a deadline to pay the tax bill. There were serious issues of them being being winded up, they had an urgent need of cash. But now they're out of that danger, due to the takeover. They do need to sell players now but they can wait a bit now and allow a bidding war over Grealish, which will only raise his price.

Do you even support Spurs or are you a Levy shrill, given your urge to label the Spurs fans concerns as "bed wetters"?
They still need to sell players? As far as I am concerned there has been no other interest in JG, why would investment make his price higher? They need £30-40m to be clear and I don’t see that coming from other player sales.

I don’t get your overly aggressive response but I guess that’s your call. I don’t see why all fans of a club need to agree, I don’t think all fans of any club agree on things. I didnt think the term bed wetting was that offensive. It’s the same thing every transfer window and it just gets old.

Last edited:

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah I agree. Poch must run his players like fecking dogs when they first arrive.
Where do you see you guys finishing this season? Any trophies? Also as someone who was desperate for Spurs to win the FA cup semi final last year against you know who, did you think the manner of the defeat left a bad taste for most you Spurs lot?
The reality is that there are only 4 trophies available (and seriously - the fecking League Cup is barely a "trophy" in my eyes) and of those 1 of them is probably out of Spurs reach (Champions League) and another would be very close to being out of reach (Premier League). That leaves the two cups with 5 other talent stocked teams all wanting to win them as well.

"Expecting" a major trophy for any of the top 6 in any single season is probably a bit much - even for say, Manchester City. As a Spurs fan do I want to see Lloris lifting a silver pot wearing our shirt? feck YES. We have as good a shot of seeing that happen as pretty much anyone in English football with maybe one or two exceptions, but I don't think my view of the entire season can be as simple as "trophy or busted flush".

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The reality is that there are only 4 trophies available (and seriously - the fecking League Cup is barely a "trophy" in my eyes) and of those 1 of them is probably out of Spurs reach (Champions League) and another would be very close to being out of reach (Premier League). That leaves the two cups with 5 other talent stocked teams all wanting to win them as well.

"Expecting" a major trophy for any of the top 6 in any single season is probably a bit much - even for say, Manchester City. As a Spurs fan do I want to see Lloris lifting a silver pot wearing our shirt? feck YES. We have as good a shot of seeing that happen as pretty much anyone in English football with maybe one or two exceptions, but I don't think my view of the entire season can be as simple as "trophy or busted flush".
Very well said.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They still need to sell players? As far as I am concerned there has been no other interest in JG, why would investment make his price higher?

I don’t get your overly aggressive response but I guess that’s your call. I don’t see why all fans of a club need to agree, I don’t think all fans of any club agree on things. I didnt think the term bed wetting was that offensive. It’s the same thing every transfer window and it just gets old.
I think this window is unique due to the fact Pochettino made it really clear what he wanted. He spoke of being brave, stressed how vital it was to sign early etc. He couldn't have been more clear.

Fast forward to now and it's all a bit disappointing, to be honest. I think after Poch made these public demands then signed a contract, most expected we'd be active. To have signed nobody with only weeks to go is unsurprisingly going to frustrate fans. Especially when you consider the aforementioned difficulties we face.

Generally I'm not huge on the transfer market, I just want football to start. However, with Pochettino's comments and the likes of Dembele needing phasing out, this one feels vital and the club has (in my opinion) acted slowly. I think you've been too dismissive of genuine concerns and acted as if they're merely unfounded transfer nonsense, when in reality we do have some major questions which require answering in a short window of time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think this window is unique due to the fact Pochettino made it really clear what he wanted. He spoke of being brave, stressed how vital it was to sign early etc. He couldn't have been more clear.

Fast forward to now and it's all a bit disappointing, to be honest. I think after Poch made these public demands then signed a contract, most expected we'd be active. To have signed nobody with only weeks to go is unsurprisingly going to frustrate fans. Especially when you consider the aforementioned difficulties we face.

Generally I'm not huge on the transfer market, I just want football to start. However, with Pochettino's comments and the likes of Dembele needing phasing out, this one feels vital and the club has (in my opinion) acted slowly. I think you've been too dismissive of genuine concerns and acted as if they're merely unfounded transfer nonsense, when in reality we do have some major questions which require answering in a short window of time.
The thing is though there is a lot of speculation here, we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, Poch has continually said that the move to the big stadium would automatically change our strategy. Poch could have handed Levy a list and Levy could be trying to get the names on that list, only to be told no, or quoted a price to high. Again the window this summer means the European clubs have a massive advantage and can wait, they have nothing to lose and all to gain by holding out, that accompanied by the WC has all been factors.

Like I said Poch isn’t shy and we will find out what’s going on when the tour starts. We are going to suffer anyway due to the number of players in the later stage said of the WC I don’t think transfers are really gonna help that much.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Perhaps not just this season, but to have not one a single trophy in the entire Pochettino era is dissapointing, I think. Especially considering struggling sides like Arsenal have managed to win a couple. We've failed to even reach a cup final since we lost to Chelsea in the league cup.

It's the one question mark under Poch, and is a big priority going forward, consistently doing well in the league is important but it's winning trophies which makes history. To make that happen we may require that little extra to get us through those one off cup ties, though admittedly finding that is far easier said than done.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The thing is though there is a lot of speculation here, we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, Poch has continually said that the move to the big stadium would automatically change our strategy. Poch could have handed Levy a list and Levy could be trying to get the names on that list, only to be told no, or quoted a price to high. Again the window this summer means the European clubs have a massive advantage and can wait, they have nothing to lose and all to gain by holding out, that accompanied by the WC has all been factors.

Like I said Poch isn’t shy and we will find out what’s going on when the tour starts. We are going to suffer anyway due to the number of players in the later stage said of the WC I don’t think transfers are really gonna help that much.

I think the speculation is based on pretty firm ground with what Pochettino was very public in declaring. I posted the quotes a couple pages back in this thread, he was desperate to not be in the situation we currently find ourselves in. We would need a very, very strong finish to the window to remedy this.

I understand the difficulties, but other clubs have managed to do business. I don't buy that the Grealish deal for example is one that is any different to many being completed around European football. Our position isn't unique and whilst I accept we don't have unlimited resources, we also aren't poverty stricken and can offer European football.

I think having a few more players available (Say purely as an example Grealish, Ndombele and Zaha) would have given the club a fresher, more optimistic mood going in to the season. Regardless it was always going to be tough, but a bit of buzz around new signings and a bit of cover for missing players could have made a difference.

When does your tour start?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Is their inactivity linked to the fact that they've just spent a load of money on the stadium? It feels like they're standing still at the moment, qualifying for the CL but not really pushing on beyond that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
When does your tour start?
Thursday against Roma.

Is their inactivity linked to the fact that they've just spent a load of money on the stadium? It feels like they're standing still at the moment, qualifying for the CL but not really pushing on beyond that.
We have a few players I think we would like to shift on before signing, Sissoko being the main one. I don’t think it’s fair to say we’re not pushing on, we pushed on in the FA Cup and the CL.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Is it me, or is Squishy a breath of fresh air when it comes to Spurs fans?

Unlike some other fans who cannot see faults in their team, manager or owners, he actually sees the club from a perspective as a neutral and the issues we tend to see.

Think he might be an undercover Arsenal fan.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Unlike some other fans who cannot see faults in their team, manager or owners, he actually sees the club from a perspective as a neutral and the issues we tend to see.

I can tell you plenty Levy has gotten wrong, a decent list, Pochettino too for that matter.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Finding an upgrade on an already excellent first team - which is most definitely what Spurs have - is a difficult task even when you're granted an unlimited budget i.e City, United and Liverpool. Now, that task is made considerably more difficult when your budget is limited to a shoestring such as the one Poch has at his disposal. Spurs just don't have the necessary funds required to upgrade their first team. They have been making squad upgrades for the last 2-3 seasons now which has helped them sustain a top 4 position, but until they can afford to properly upgrade and replace their first team players, they will stagnate or, worse still, regress. That's my view on the situation anyway.

Then again, Spurs are notoriously slow in the transfer market. I wouldn't be surprised if they made 2-3 squad signings in the final week of the current window.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool

Good post

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

;) you got me

In all seriousness I love Spurs and I'm desperate to see us do well and win trophies, so I can be a bit hypercritical perhaps. I could sit here all day praising the manager (who I think I've made pretty clear in this thread I rate enormously) but when it comes to Levy and the board I do have my doubts. I'm certainly not 'Levy out' or anything daft like that, but I don't worship him like some Spurs fans do, despite the fact he's undeniably done a lot of good work for the club. I'm always prepared to speak my mind when it comes to my club, and yeah I won't pretend that at the moment I'm discontented with the window we have had. It's not a disaster or a meltdown, but I do feel frustrated, especially when I see some of our rivals making moves to improve.

Like others have said, we'll see soon whether my fears are justified. I (more than anybody) hope I'm spouting complete nonsense and we end up having a very successful window and a strong start to the season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Finding an upgrade on an already excellent first team - which is most definitely what Spurs have - is a difficult task even when you're granted an unlimited budget i.e City, United and Liverpool. Now, that task is made considerably more difficult when your budget is limited to a shoestring such as the one Poch has at his disposal. Spurs just don't have the necessary funds required to upgrade their first team. They have been making squad upgrades for the last 2-3 seasons now which has helped them sustain a top 4 position, but until they can afford to properly upgrade and replace their first team players, they will stagnate or, worse still, regress. That's my view on the situation anyway.

Then again, Spurs are notoriously slow in the transfer market. I wouldn't be surprised if they made 2-3 squad signings in the final week of the current window.
What we rely on is unearthing a few gems which can come in and improve the starting 11 without being hugely expensive, but obviously this kind of strategy leads to taking more risks than sides that can afford to target more proven players. The likes of Son, Alderweireld, Wanyama, Trippier etc all came in for reasonable prices and have nailed down starting spots in the side at some point, then you have a signing like Alli who cost peanuts and is an extremely important player for us. I think somebody posted in another thread about how Pochettino has had quite a few 'flop' signings, but I would put this down to the fact that we do have to target the less established players, and inevitably you will end up with a Janssen or two who were successful at a lower level but can't step up.

Hopefully someone like Grealish can be a signing for (relatively, in this market) a reasonable price who Pochettino can work his magic on. I watched a few Villa matches last season and technically he was excellent, clearly on a different level to other players on the field. His run in the playoff final was superb and Fulham were constantly having to foul him to keep him out of the game, he's clearly got ability and seems to have got his head sorted recently, so hopefully (if we get him!) he can step up to the plate. Again though, it's risky having to rely on these sorts of signings as they can so easily turn out wrong.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol:

Pass the joint, son.
Look, I think you and other fans are just going to accept you can't compete with us anymore. The new stadium will have a Sainsbury's ffs, Martial's handing in a transfer request on this basis alone! You can't say no to a post-match meal deal, it's just not possible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Look, I think you and other fans are just going to accept you can't compete with us anymore. The new stadium will have a Sainsbury's ffs, Martial's handing in a transfer request on this basis alone! You can't say no to a post-match meal deal, it's just not possible.
Don't forget our cheese selection.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Look at the development in the Martial saga, eventually Utd will give in.

First it was "Martial is not for sale", then it was "Martial can leave, but only for the right price which is 80m". The next step was "Mourinho is happy to let Martial leave if he says he wants to go and the price is 50m".

Martial only has 2 years left on his contract, he is an asset which value will decrease until next summer because of his little playing time and his contract situation. If Martial says he doesn't want to leave England, he only wants to play under Poch, there is not much Utd can do. The only other option is a swap Martial plus cash for Willian with Chelsea maybe...
Give in to what? The club will surely sell Martial if He doesn't want to be here and isn't willing to do his best. It's not 'giving in' if You want to get rid of a player. But United isn't in rush to sell and Martial to Spurs have always been paper's bollocks. But keep going with your fantasy.

Last edited:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
We have a few players I think we would like to shift on before signing, Sissoko being the main one. I don’t think it’s fair to say we’re not pushing on, we pushed on in the FA Cup and the CL.
I guess I meant a title challenge and/or reaching the latter stages of the CL. Poch has been there long enough for you to expect that sooner rather than later in my opinion.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Yeah I kind of agree with this, but lets be real here, Grealish is a downgrade from Dembele, not an upgrade. He's a championship midfielder who has potential, Dembele on his day is a boss who can make the best midfielders in the game struggle to get the ball back. But Spurs couldnt even get Grealish done, and why are no other teams having issues signing players?

Yes they are notoriously slow in the market, as I said earlier, if they come to the table with a reasonable deal for Alderweireld, provided we go with the narrative that Jose wants him. I could see Martial going the other way, then if they get Grealish in and De Ligt you would be saying they had a good window. Especially if they move on a lot of the fringe players.

About the association player deal, that at least sheds some light on some things. Maybe a bid for Jamaal Lascelles from Spurs? Or any Association CB that fits Pochettino's ball playing CB role.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
… Grealish is a downgrade from Dembele, not an upgrade. He's a championship midfielder who has potential, Dembele on his day is a boss who can make the best midfielders in the game struggle to get the ball back. But Spurs couldnt even get Grealish done....
All this assumes several things:

* That Dembele is leaving (he hasn't yet).
* That Grealish won't be signed.
* That Grealish - if he were to be signed - would be intended to come straight into our first XI (to replace Dembele or whoever).

Now, the first two things might happen - who knows - but then again they might not.

The 3rd assumption is doubtful, even if Dembele leaves this summer, because we have at least two other options, even if we don't sign another CM in addition to Grealish. We can in some games pair Dier and Wanyama in CM. Or we could deploy Eriksen in a deeper, play-maker role (to partner Dier or Wanyama) - a role to which he is well-suited - leaving a front three of Son + Alli + Lamela/Moura to play in support of Kane.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Some very good posts on here I really enjoyed reading. Valid concerns, and also valid reasons to remain positive. Very unusual for a spurs thread, long may it continue!

Personally securing new contracts and comittment for Poch and our key players was the number 1 priority. This meant breaking our wage structure which has happened and if Eriksen and to a lesser degree Verthongen also sign a new deal I would say that this window has not been a failure. That doesn't mean that it would be a fantastic window which would be securring some key positions in time for preseason (which hasn't happened). There is still time to make this a good window if the core issues of the squad is addressed, and we add some quality to the squad, at least 2 players who can be rotation and one key MC regardless of whether or Dembele leaves or not.

There is definitely time, and I want to stay positive (in fact I like to just stay away from everything until the window ends if possible). But I am also concerned that we will not be able to strengthen as well as we need in order to push on.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Hopefully someone like Grealish can be a signing for (relatively, in this market) a reasonable price who Pochettino can work his magic on. I watched a few Villa matches last season and technically he was excellent, clearly on a different level to other players on the field. His run in the playoff final was superb and Fulham were constantly having to foul him to keep him out of the game, he's clearly got ability and seems to have got his head sorted recently, so hopefully (if we get him!) he can step up to the plate. Again though, it's risky having to rely on these sorts of signings as they can so easily turn out wrong.
I'll admit to knowing very little of Grealish and his footballing ability, but I am unconvinced that he is capable of filling the boots of world cup winning captain Dembele. That's a big ask for an established player of genuine quality, let alone one that has only ever experienced championship standard football at best. He may very well be a huge talent (I bow to Poch's judgement on this front) but is he ready to enter a side that has aspirations of finishing in the top 4 of one of the worlds most competitive leagues? I'm sceptical about this.

You come across as an extremely objective poster. Rare for an oppo on here.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes they are notoriously slow in the market, as I said earlier, if they come to the table with a reasonable deal for Alderweireld, provided we go with the narrative that Jose wants him. I could see Martial going the other way, then if they get Grealish in and De Ligt you would be saying they had a good window. Especially if they move on a lot of the fringe players.
Martial for Alderwiereld plus cash is surely out of the question. Given the recent history between the clubs in regards to transfers, one way or t'other, Woody will be highly reluctant to make a deal with Spurs that does not heavily favour United. Same could be said for Levy in reverse.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The idea that Spurs fans love Levy is something I only see on RedCafe - he's probably villain #1 on every Spurs forum (our transfer muppets fecking hate him, just to scratch the surface). @GlastonSpur has completely warped most people here's view of Spurs fans. Largely we are a self hating bunch, lol. @SquishyMcSquish is positively upbeat and a sunshine pumper compared to your average Spurs internet fan.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Martial for Alderwiereld plus cash is surely out of the question. Given the recent history between the clubs in regards to transfers, one way or t'other, Woody will be highly reluctant to make a deal with Spurs that does not heavily favour United. Same could be said for Levy in reverse.
Definitely this :lol:

But assuming that both players want the move I do think that there is a deal that will benefit both clubs. However, like you say, I don't think it will happen for other than pure footballing and financial reasons.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
All this assumes several things:

* That Dembele is leaving (he hasn't yet).
* That Grealish won't be signed.
* That Grealish - if he were to be signed - would be intended to come straight into our first XI (to replace Dembele or whoever).

Now, the first two things might happen - who knows - but then again they might not.

The 3rd assumption is doubtful, even if Dembele leaves this summer, because we have at least two other options, even if we don't sign another CM in addition to Grealish. We can in some games pair Dier and Wanyama in CM. Or we could deploy Eriksen in a deeper, play-maker role (to partner Dier or Wanyama) - a role to which he is well-suited - leaving a front three of Son + Alli + Lamela/Moura to play in support of Kane.
Do you think Spurs should be more active in the window, and are there any areas of the team you'd like to see improved? Lloris is a bit hit and miss isn't he?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'll admit to knowing very little of Grealish and his footballing ability, but I am unconvinced that he is capable of filling the boots of world cup winning captain Dembele. That's a big ask for an established player of genuine quality, let alone one that has only ever experienced championship standard football at best. He may very well be a huge talent (I bow to Poch's judgement on this front) but is he ready to enter a side that has aspirations of finishing in the top 4 of one of the worlds most competitive leagues? I'm sceptical about this.

You come across as an extremely objective poster. Rare for an oppo on here.
I don't think we'd replace Dembele with Grealish, at least if we were to do that I'd be extremely disappointed. We would need at least another CM if we sold him, potentially somebody like Ndombele or a similar player with the physicality to be able to replicate the role that Dembele has in our team. His ability to resist the press and retain possession is otherwordly and I doubt very much whether Grealish would be signed in his place, it would be incredibly naive to do a like for like swap.

I see Grealish as being signed either alongside another, more defensively inclined CM, or signed whilst we keep Dembele for another season. As you say, it would be placing an immense burden upon his shoulders to come in and replace a fan favourite player who possesses extremely unique qualities and is very important to our system. Injuries are catching up with him but when he's really fit and on his game he can be a difference maker for us, his performances against Juventus, Liverpool, United etc were excellent. We will miss him regardless of who we replace him with. Grealish will be eased in slowly I would think, similar to how Pochettino used Alli. His record with developing young players is excellent so I absolutely trust his judgement on this front on whether Grealish would be ready or not.

Thanks by the way. I generally try to be somewhat objective and not let the ol' tribalism blind me when I discuss football, especially since I'm on an opposition team's forum.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Do you think Spurs should be more active in the window, and are there any areas of the team you'd like to see improved? Lloris is a bit hit and miss isn't he?
He is, but I'd argue the least of our worries. He could potentially benefit from a younger keeper coming in to keep him on his toes, but there aren't any better keepers we could realistically attain. He's prone to a few errors in a season (and had a particularly poor last campaign) but is still mostly a very good goalkeeper, one of the better ones in the league though I'd say clearly behind Courtois and De Gea.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The idea that Spurs fans love Levy is something I only see on RedCafe - he's probably villain #1 on every Spurs forum (our transfer muppets fecking hate him, just to scratch the surface). @GlastonSpur has completely warped most people here's view of Spurs fans. Largely we are a self hating bunch, lol. @SquishyMcSquish is positively upbeat and a sunshine pumper compared to your average Spurs internet fan.
I think there is all extremes in the Spurs fan base, there are certainly plenty that hate Levy and can’t wait for him to sell.