Spurs 2018/19

Cloud7

Lloris has to be the worst ‘top’ keeper I’ve ever seen. He just always seems to have a clanger in him. Even if he’s good 90% of the time, I would never feel properly secure with him in my goal because he always has a moment like that in him.

NoLogo

Like you always think they may come a day where they will throw of the shackles of their bottling ways and win an important game and then they do this. I have never seen a team being bottlers that consistently over so many years. It boggles the mind. :houllier::lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Lloris was a very good keeper but not an excellent one and when the margins are so tight as they are in the Premier League right now you need an excellent keeper. He's also on the decline for the last 18 months or so.

But Pochettino has his hands tied to a degree given the lack of funds he can't even replace him. As good as Tottenham were, they now have serious issues with their squad due to sitting still in the transfer market the last few seasons. The rest have caught up and they've lost the advantage they had.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
My stance on the word "bottle" is unchanged. It's stupid.

But ffs, they don't do themselves any favors do they?

They're the only side (with City) to set up well against Liverpool at Anfield this season. The Sissoko miss, the Rose miss, and then that....

Anyways, good side in bad result form. They'll be fine after the City game (that's another loss).

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
My stance on the word "bottle" is unchanged. It's stupid.

But ffs, they don't do themselves any favors do they?

They're the only side (with City) to set up well against Liverpool at Anfield this season. The Sissoko miss, the Rose miss, and then that....

Anyways, good side in bad result form. They'll be fine after the City game (that's another loss).
I don't care much for the whole 'bottled it' stuff but I don't know how else to describe what just took place.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Dominated us over the course of the game and still manged to hand us the 3 points !:lol: Arsenal to go above them tomorrow shocking considering what position they were in start of the year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can be harsh calling them out on individual games as hardly anyone even gets a point at Anfield.

Facts are though they were what 15 + points clear of Man. United at xmas. They were 10 points clear of Arsenal in the middle of February. I expect both teams to be above Spurs at the end of the season.

In 15/16 they were miles clear of Arsenal and challenging Leicester before blowing up and finishing 3rd.

In 11/12 and 12/13 they had clear advantage over Arsenal and missed out on CL in both seasons.

In 16/17 they played a Chelsea team in FA cup semi final who benched Hazard and Diego Costa and lost. Last season they were 1 up v Man. United and in control of the game.

Those are the games/situations "bottlers" is fully deserved.

Fener1907

They haven't won a league game since 10 February. Let that sink in. April Fool's tomorrow but they're looking like the biggest joke right now.

Ban

Have to say they bottled it again. They're really are perennial bottlers. Can't never rely on them cause they bottle it every time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Still don't think they bottled anything this season. This is just where they belong. They're not so much better than any of us, Arsenal or Chelsea that they shouldn't be struggling to finish ahead of us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was just sooo Tottenham wasn't it.
Right up to actually playing well and having the chance to win it, then pure farce losing it late on.

Just so annoyed with them, despite it helping us catch them.
It's bigger picture stuff. We have 7 more games to make top 4, but Liverpool now only have 1 game they could drop points in.

AJ10

Still don't think they bottled anything this season. This is just where they belong. They're not so much better than any of us, Arsenal or Chelsea that they shouldn't be struggling to finish ahead of us.
They're clearly better than Arsenal and Chelsea, we had a terrible first half of season but i like to think we are better than them if we played properly over a season. But they have bottled this, they were 10+ points clear of us (i believe) and now they're level with us and Arsenal could be above them if they win tomorrow <<< that's bottling it.

There's a real possibility for them to be out of top 4 this season now which would be terrible for them with their new stadium and lack of spending.

Djemba-Djemba

They're clearly better than Arsenal and Chelsea, we had a terrible first half of season but i like to think we are better than them if we played properly over a season. But they have bottled this, they were 10+ points clear of us (i believe) and now they're level with us and Arsenal could be above them if they win tomorrow <<< that's bottling it.

There's a real possibility for them to be out of top 4 this season now which would be terrible for them with their new stadium and lack of spending.
They were like 15 clear of us weren't they?

At one point

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know Spurs fans hate hearing it but I really do think they have some though years ahead.
And I like Spurs.

The team need investment Sissoko isn't the guy they need plus Eriksen and Toby aren't signing new deals.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Are they really much better than Chelsea as a squad? The likes of Azpilicueta, Luiz, Alonso, Cahill, Kante, Hazard, Pedro, Willian and Higuain have each won more major trophies individually than most of the Spurs team combined. That didn't happen by accident. Then you have the likes of Kepa (the world's most expensive goalkeeper), Giroud (starting forward for the World Cup winners) and Hudson-Odoi (much hyped young prospect) knocking around the squad too.

I fundamentally think a lot of people overrate this Spurs team because they have a strong looking first 11 when really their squad is filled with a lot of dross. Plus even some of their supposedly strong starters (like Lloris, for example) are better players on paper than they often are in reality.

At the start of the season I figured they'd be fighting for a top four place and that's exactly where they are. The fact that they somehow had a 10+ point lead in the first place was the weird anomaly, not that they then regressed.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I fundamentally think a lot of people overrate this Spurs team because they have a strong looking first 11 when really their squad is filled with a lot of dross. Plus even some of their supposedly strong starters (like Lloris, for example) are better players on paper than they often are in reality.
This, their bench today contained some spectacular dross apart from Son. Some of them will be starting in 4 months when their best players leave.
If Palace can spoil their first game in the world's best stadium, it would have been a great week !

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This, their bench today contained some spectacular dross apart from Son. Some of them will be starting in 4 months when their best players leave.
If Palace can spoil their first game in the world's best stadium, it would have been a great week !
The one that stood out to me was their loss to Wolves a few months ago. Their bench that day consisted of Rose, N'Koudou, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Gazzaniga, Moura and Skipp. People blamed their loss on them being "bottlers" when it seemed pretty clear to me that their main problem was an overeliance on a few players who were expected to carry a rather average squad.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We're just not all that good.

I said before the season started that we would face a serious scrap for top four and that's exactly where we are. I'll be honest and say that after we built up a gap I didn't think we'd mess it up, but here we are.

Some Spurs fans on here called such predictions 'doom mongering' but here we are with the very real possibility that we will be back to Thursday nights next season.

Some deserve it, in all honesty. So busy praising the stadium it's like the squad situation was irrelevant in the summer and it was fingers in ears time when suggested no signings would make us go backwards.

Well here we are, going backwards. Sorry to doommonger some more but Toby and Eriksen are out the door this summer too, when we already need new fullbacks, a keeper, and a whole new midfield.

All that refusal to invest in the squad could end up costing us a hell of a lot more in the long run.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Frustrating result as I thought we played well.
Even when we play well we lose. We were great in the first half against Southampton too, still couldn't put the game to bed.

Consistently being let down by players who keep proving they're not good enough.

Paul_Scholes18

Still think they will end ahead of us sadly. Although hope they can give away points in the easier games too.