Spurs 2018/19

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We're just not all that good.

I said before the season started that we would face a serious scrap for top four and that's exactly where we are. I'll be honest and say that after we built up a gap I didn't think we'd mess it up, but here we are.

Some Spurs fans on here called such predictions 'doom mongering' but here we are with the very real possibility that we will be back to Thursday nights next season.

Some deserve it, in all honesty. So busy praising the stadium it's like the squad situation was irrelevant in the summer and it was fingers in ears time when suggested no signings would make us go backwards.

Well here we are, going backwards. Sorry to doommonger some more but Toby and Eriksen are out the door this summer too, when we already need new fullbacks, a keeper, and a whole new midfield.

All that refusal to invest in the squad could end up costing us a hell of a lot more in the long run.
The underinvestment in the squad over the last 2 years is a disgrace. You've only achieved what you have because you're lucky enough to have one of the best strikers in the world and a truly excellent manager. However, you'd really have to begin to question Kane and Pochettino's ambition and believe in themselves if they hang around at Spurs much longer.

They will never win major honours at that club. Never.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I said before the season started that we would face a serious scrap for top four and that's exactly where we are. I'll be honest and say that after we built up a gap I didn't think we'd mess it up, but here we are.

Some Spurs fans on here called such predictions 'doom mongering' but here we are with the very real possibility that we will be back to Thursday nights next season.

Some deserve it, in all honesty. So busy praising the stadium it's like the squad situation was irrelevant in the summer and it was fingers in ears time when suggested no signings would make us go backwards.

Well here we are, going backwards. Sorry to doommonger some more but Toby and Eriksen are out the door this summer too, when we already need new fullbacks, a keeper, and a whole new midfield.

All that refusal to invest in the squad could end up costing us a hell of a lot more in the long run.
All of this.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The underinvestment in the squad over the last 2 years is a disgrace. You've only achieved what you have because you're lucky enough to have one of the best strikers in the world and a truly excellent manager. However, you'd really have to begin to question Kane and Pochettino's ambition and believe in themselves if they hang around at Spurs much longer.

They will never win major honours at that club. Never.
Can't really disagree.

It's all very disappointing recently, and a pretty poor way to go in to our new stadium. Would anyone be surprised if we lost to Palace?

Can't believe I'm barely even excited for a CL quarter final as well. The way we're playing we would need a genuine miracle to get past City.

Patrick08

Erikson will want out this summer. Pochh has taken them as far as they can go. No new signings will make any difference.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
16 points from the last 36.

Thats lower midtable form over 12 matches.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Looks like you was spot on earlier in the season mate, I was giving your squad far too much credit, I was dead wrong.
You'll likely have to be clever in the market to plug the gaps this summer, if you manage to get top 4 acquisitions will hopefully be easier for you.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
10 defeats (and it'll be more before the end of the season) in a season shouldn't get you top 4 tbh but I bet they do

AJ10

Are they really much better than Chelsea as a squad? The likes of Azpilicueta, Luiz, Alonso, Cahill, Kante, Hazard, Pedro, Willian and Higuain have each won more major trophies individually than most of the Spurs team combined. That didn't happen by accident. Then you have the likes of Kepa (the world's most expensive goalkeeper), Giroud (starting forward for the World Cup winners) and Hudson-Odoi (much hyped young prospect) knocking around the squad too.

I fundamentally think a lot of people overrate this Spurs team because they have a strong looking first 11 when really their squad is filled with a lot of dross. Plus even some of their supposedly strong starters (like Lloris, for example) are better players on paper than they often are in reality.

At the start of the season I figured they'd be fighting for a top four place and that's exactly where they are. The fact that they somehow had a 10+ point lead in the first place was the weird anomaly, not that they then regressed.
That bold part is Interesting since you apply that to spurs players but forget about chelsea players. Luiz/Cahill/Pedro/Willian/Higuain/Giroud/Alonso are prime examples of players who are good on paper but on the pitch don't offer much. Kapa is in his first season at chelsea, Hudson-Odoi is a young player who plays fewer games than Giroud (Yes... the great world cup winner scoring a grand total of 0 goals and his last decent season was in 2016-17 where he scored 16 goals in 40 games, in 2016-17 Alli scored 22 in 50 games as SS or some like to call him a Midfielder for some reason).

As for chelsea players having won more trophies than spurs team combined, Wouldn't that put them under the better players on paper than they often are in reality since reality is Now and not in the past, they finished outside top 4 last season and potentially could do so this season as well. So much for chelsea player's great trophy collection that they can't even get past a spurs team who haven't won anything. You listed those players for chelsea who have done well in the past but for 2 seasons now, they heavily rely on Hazard to win them the game and if he doesn't feel like it then there's not much else.

You say spurs are overrated and besides the first 11 rest are dross then who have chelsea got? As starters Luiz and Cahill (:lol:) are not better than both spurs CB's, Alonso is a shit defender but he does well in attack so people forget how shit he's at defending, pedro has been bang average for years, willian hasn't been good for awhile (I'll never understand why he gets so much praise for someone who doesn't produce often ), Higuain is on loan and looks slow (food and age), Azpilliceuta is good as are Hazard and Kante.......so these are their most important players and now we shall move onto the top class bench that chelsea have.....Barkely/ RLC/ Kovacic (pointless player IMO)....yes, truly enriching talent there. You base Chelsea team being better due to them winning trophies in the past but they are just in the group of being better players on paper than they often are in reality.

Spurs are no where near Pool/city and they're closer to Chelsea/Arsenal and United but regardless if its an anomaly or not they were still 10+ points above us and now are level. I would think of that as a bottle job which could result in them finishing outside top 4.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like you was spot on earlier in the season mate, I was giving your squad far too much credit, I was dead wrong.
You'll likely have to be clever in the market to plug the gaps this summer, if you manage to get top 4 acquisitions will hopefully be easier for you.
TBH even I never imagined Lloris and Trippier being so poor this season, a couple have beaten my expectations (sissoko mostly) but overall basically as expected.

The biggest issue has been that Eriksen for months now barely looks like he gives a toss, and can we afford to drop him? Can we feck, he keeps playing, keeps offering next to nothing. No depth, nobody with any genuine technical quality in midfield without him.

We might still scrape top 4 if we can pick it up, but I'm really not expecting it. Our form for a while now has been hideous.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Worse thing they could for us now is knock City out of the CL and then lose to them in the league. Really need them pull off Crouch winner circa 10' that game.

SambaBoy

Where is Eriksen likely to go? Haven't heard much praise for him this season. Didn't think he would be likely to leave.

RochaRoja

Overachieving for the fourth season in a row. The “bottling” narrative is nonsense. They’re just suffering from a lack of squad depth and even some of their first XI players just not being good enough.

Treble

Overachieving for the fourth season in a row. The “bottling” narrative is nonsense. They’re just suffering from a lack of squad depth and even some of their first XI players just not being good enough.
Spot on. They were mostly excellent yesterday and gave Liverpool much more of a game than Bayern. Deserved a result there.

mancan92

Spot on. They were mostly excellent yesterday and gave Liverpool much more of a game than Bayern. Deserved a result there.
But didn't get the result that's the whole point. They continually put themselves in positions to achieve something yet fluff it as soon as the going gets tough. Yesterday they should have won but it typical Tottenham fashion they literally gave the other team a goal. At some point it's mentality not quality.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

If yesterday's result was in isolation you wouldn't find a single one of our fans complaining.

The problem is that it's all too bloody familiar. Valiant losers who gave it a go is getting a bit old.

We lose the big games we play well in (mostly) and lose the ones we play badly in. And we are also losing to the likes of Southampton and Burnley of late.

Liverpool were crap yesterday, but we didn't take advantage of that because we threw it away.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
But didn't get the result that's the whole point. They continually put themselves in positions to achieve something yet fluff it as soon as the going gets tough. Yesterday they should have won but it typical Tottenham fashion they literally gave the other team a goal. At some point it's mentality not quality.

Lloris is just dodgy, it's really as simple as that. He's been doing it all season.

Replace Sissoko with a midfielder with genuine quality in the final third to go with his energy, and replace Lloris with a competent keeper and we probably win the game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've seen a few games where Gazaninga has played in goal and he really looked the part. Any chance of him getting a chance as first choice?
I think we are close to doing that - he has looked good in most games I have seen him play and it's getting to the stage that I'd probably feel happier with him in nets at the moment as Lloris has been so error prone this year.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Aargh, that sucks. So no Winks or Wanyama? Makes the decision to get rid of Dembele, without getting in cover a bit odd. Though maybe Dembele forced the move? I'm not too clued up.
Dembele as great as he was couldn't physically play 2 games in a row anymore. Wanyama has been injured for over a year and is basically finished as a top level footballer. Winks is pretty good but had ongoing injury problems - plus as promising as he is no other top 4 team would have him starting. Dier has been injured virtually all season. So that has left us with Sissoko (who to be fair has been good if limited) + one other who generally has been a mixture of Eriksen or Alli - neither of whom are central midfielders. It's a fecking scandal that we find ourselves in this position.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dembele as great as he was couldn't physically play 2 games in a row anymore. Wanyama has been injured for over a year and is basically finished as a top level footballer. Winks is pretty good but had ongoing injury problems - plus as promising as he is no other top 4 team would have him starting. Dier has been injured virtually all season. So that has left us with Sissoko (who to be fair has been good if limited) + one other who generally has been a mixture of Eriksen or Alli - neither of whom are central midfielders. It's a fecking scandal that we find ourselves in this position.
Yeah, that's a bit shit. I suppose if there's one thing United fans have become accustomed to - it's been our annual injury CB crisis over the years.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This is the reality. So hard for some to understand.

Every time it matters, they blow it - they'll get to the point of making it matter, no problem, but as soon as it gets critical, they will literally find a way to feck it up.

They do lack squad depth, yes. They do need more investment, yes.

But they are also bottlers. Massive, serial bottlers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yet you find yourselves third in the table despite your injury problems and lack of squad investment.

The situation is not nearly as desperate as you think it is ;)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yet you find yourselves third in the table despite your injury problems and lack of squad investment.

I think we are doing about as well as could be expected to be honest although the recent dip in form has been depressing and all too predictable. We do need fairly significant investment in the summer though to refresh the squad.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Perhaps, but we're teetering on a very dangerous precipice right now. Arsenal beat Newcastle (which they probably will) and we're fourth, level on points with Manchester United. We've thrown a massive lead out the window and are currently in relegation form.

We may be in a good position but 'we're third it's not THAT bad' has been said far too often in recent weeks, and one more bad result could see us drop as low as sixth. The situation isn't desperate compared to what we've endured as fans in the past, but it is another step back and potentially the most dangerous one, because if we miss out on CL football this year it could have real consequences.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've just seen the form table :joy:
Jesus Christ!

Without CL football, will the stadium just be left as a cheese tasting event and NFL game day?

haram

To be honest they have been ravaged by injuries this season. It's just catching up to them now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
To be honest they have been ravaged by injuries this season. It's just catching up to them now.
Hard to feel sorry for them when they didn't buy a single player, thought they'd cope after an excellent start but just ran their players into the ground come New Year.

haram

Hard to feel sorry for them when they didn't buy a single player, thought they'd cope after an excellent start but just ran their players into the ground come New Year.
That's on the board really, players and management can only do so much.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Aargh, that sucks. So no Winks or Wanyama? Makes the decision to get rid of Dembele, without getting in cover a bit odd. Though maybe Dembele forced the move? I'm not too clued up.
Wanyama is crocked, havnt seen him in a year or two except for a sporadic game here and there when I have seen Spurs playing. Like Lamela seems to come in for a game or two then you dont see him again for months, and Winks. Winks is like Wilshere v2.0 however Winks has time on his side, unlike the others. Then you have Sissoko and Dier, both have their uses but should not be first choice for a club looking for top four. Dier is a good player to have in the trenches with you when you are under siege or to hold onto a lead, but offers nothing going forward. Sissoko is an amazing athlete with a great engine, too bad he is an average footballer.

Surely they knew Dembele was leaving? Just decided to do nothing about it and relied on a midfield of Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko, Winks. And predictably injuries hit, no Wanyama or Winks, so they are left with Dier and Sissoko who would not be out of place parading their skills for a mid table team.

Drop Alli back into midfield, splash 60mil on a decent CM, ship out Wanyama and Sissoko, bench Winks and Dier, there you go Spurs fans, your problems have been solved here on Red Cafe, accepting all donations.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Kane is miles better than anyone else there. I almost feel sorry for him, but then I remember that ridiculous razor advert he did.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still reckon they will make top four but their underinvestment will still catch up with them.