Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
When it rains, it pours. :lol:

Almost every aspect of the club has been embarrassing in one way or another this season. Shambles.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When it rains, it pours. :lol:

Almost every aspect of the club has been embarrassing in one way or another this season. Shambles.
One for the ‘one normal day following Spurs is all I ask’ scrap book :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does Joe Lewis never step in? Why is Levy allowed to do what he wants, how has that come about?
Joe Lewis does not get involved in the day to day running of Spurs because he doesn't really care about the club other than it making him more money.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Joe Lewis does not get involved in the day to day running of Spurs because he doesn't really care about the club other than it making him more money.
But it could be making him a lot more money than it does with the way it's currently run, and for it to go on for so long, whilst he remains passive, is very odd, to me at least.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
But it could be making him a lot more money than it does with the way it's currently run, and for it to go on for so long, whilst he remains passive, is very odd, to me at least.
That's the thing though, making top 4 is the key to the owners. Financially, winning an FA/Carabao Cup is irrelevant and no-one can realistically expect them to make the semis of CL consistently. The difference in prize money between knockout rounds in CL or finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the PL is not that significant either. They've been in the CL in five of the last seven seasons. So the owners are getting more or less the max. return without investing any more money into it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's the thing though, making top 4 is the key to the owners. Financially, winning an FA/Carabao Cup is irrelevant and no-one can realistically expect them to make the semis of CL consistently. The difference in prize money between knockout rounds in CL or finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the PL is not that significant either. They've been in the CL in five of the last seven seasons. So the owners are getting more or less the max. return without investing any more money into it.
The CL point is fair, but what about: the severance packages for managers; the poor purchases of players; the poor upkeep of the squad and overreliance on so few components (they're now working to a single point failure of Kane). The CL money is coming in, but a good amount of money is leaking just as routinely. The margins on what he could be making as opposed to what he is could be improved by a solid degree, one would think.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does Joe Lewis never step in? Why is Levy allowed to do what he wants, how has that come about?
Sadly:

-Levy isn't just a chairman, he's also a minority owner too (around a quarter of the club from memory)
-In terms of the general trend, with what the club is worth vs what ENIC bought it for, he arguably has done his job perfectly
-I don't think Lewis actually cares that much, it's one of many investments for him
-Until recently, the general footballing trend was also generally up, albeit a generally slow ascent without trophies

I've given Levy the benefit of the doubt for a long time, albeit whilst not being obsessed with him as some spurs fans have been. The gradual trajectory has been good, the idea has been to get to the stage where the club can consistently pay enough money to try to challenge at the top.

Well we're there now and he's shown himself woefully inadequate. I'm sure he 'wants' to win, in the same way I 'want' to be a billionaire or with Beyonce tonight. He's never going to push the boat for it though,never going to make decisions that don't make 'financial sense' and never fully gamble.

He's also a control freak that seemingly gets involved in every aspect of the running of the club, including the footballing side, which he clearly is not very good at.

Can't wait to see the back of him but with him being a part owner and ENIC'S return on investment being massive....I don't see that happening.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One for the ‘one normal day following Spurs is all I ask’ scrap book :lol:
Literally. That ridiculous 'interview' with Patrici yesterday on twitter....I mean who on earth in the club authorised that?

You either go all in and do something properly.....or fire him, as we should have done when this all first came out. What the hell was that?

top1whoisman

Scout
The CL point is fair, but what about: the severance packages for managers; the poor purchases of players; the poor upkeep of the squad and overreliance on so few components (they're now working to a single point failure of Kane). The CL money is coming in, but a good amount of money is leaking just as routinely. The margins on what he could be making as opposed to what he is could be improved by a solid degree, one would think.
Well so far Levy has been superb in terms of getting decent money from selling players, so until they lose Kane for nothing you can't really blame him for not getting good money for the outgoings. Of course they could be doing a better job regarding manager appointments and player recruitment, but I guess if Lewis knows he doesn't have the expertise then why get involved as long as he's getting nice profits every year? And I guess recently they tried to improve that side of the club by appointing Paratici, too bad it turned out not to be that great. Then again they probably have a clause in the contract that they can just release him if he's convicted of a crime etc. So no money lost there either. Conte's contract was running out in June so they probably didn't have to pay him anything extra.

When you think about there's quite a lot of owners who stay away and don't really interfere. Most US owners actually. And to an extent it's smart if they know they don't have anything to give. Just take the money and show up to big matches. Like the Glazers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Levy runs the business side of the club extremely well - it's the football side he is terrible at but Joe Lewis isn't bothered and only cares about the bottom line.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
OK. Thanks for the replies all. They make sense, especially so with Levy being a minority owner and Lewis happy to take what he does, rather than interfere and attempt to take more.

I'm not even a Spurs fan and get frustrated by how they're run.

Can't imagine how it is to have to go through the mill as you guys do as actual fans.

top1whoisman

Scout
OK. Thanks for the replies all. They make sense, especially so with Levy being a minority owner and Lewis happy to take what he does, rather than interfere and attempt to take more.

Can't imagine how it is to have to go through the mill as you guys do as actual fans.
Yeah I get that totally. Follow a fair bit of some Spurs fan channels and I also find myself almost feeling bad every now and then. Until I remember they're Spurs and we're competing with them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I get that totally. Follow a fair bit of some Spurs fan channels and I also find myself almost feeling bad every now and then. Until I remember they're Spurs and we're competing with them.
Funny, as I relate it to the emotional turmoil of our last few years multiplied by ten to the power of X.

To remain emotionally invested after so many false dawns has to be a head wreck of the highest order.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Problems not unique to Spurs honestly.

One could conjecture things could be done better but it's a high risk high reward action, teams have tried to push strongly for the upper echelon only to lose out financially. Lewis could just be ok with coasting, and only intervening if Spurs are at risk of dipping. Similar to what the Glazers have done.

top1whoisman

Scout
Funny, as I relate it to the emotional turmoil of our last few years multiplied by ten to the power of X.

To remain emotionally invested after so many false dawns has to be a head wreck of the highest order.
There’s that side to me too, but that never lasts long. Most of the time there’s enough to worry about my own club.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It was genuinely easier back when we were crap!

Chief123

These setbacks are really going to hurt spurs in winning trophies….oh hold on.

RVN1991

Getting rejected by Kovac is like going to the club and getting rejected by the ugliest girl in there.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course, Paratici will go the ordinary justice route and sue FIGC for a number of reasons so evident they will lose their shirt even before discussing the merit of the charges.

top1whoisman

Scout
”Fabio has agreed with the Club that he will take an immediate leave of absence pending the outcome of his Appeal.”

top1whoisman

Scout
Well this is awkward

Didnt the club just post a rallying video from him?
They’re doing so well - I mean that’s only the third club statement in the last five days. A couple of days ago they released a statement saying they’ll monitor the situation regarding Paratici’s ban & appeal, and now this. Spurs are a mess.

top1whoisman

Scout
Paratici has left the building. More club statements than away wins this season.

marktan

Spurs have been on a decline for a while but the successive appointments of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte hasn't helped them. The last one especially plays dour football, the football was crap at Inter too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Spurs have been on a decline for a while but the successive appointments of Mourinho, Nuno and Conte hasn't helped them. The last one especially plays dour football, the football was crap at Inter too.
Daniel Levy, take a bow.

Further damnation incoming.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The defending for some of those goals vs Newcastle was criminal.

Im sure one goal was nothing more than a back to front longball. No one even touched the Newcastle player.

Players drifting infield past lazy challenges allowed to pop shots off under no pressure.

Conte may of thrown the players under the bus. But after a performance like that, hard to say Conte was in the wrong.

I didnt expect Spurs to win, but thought they would make Newcastle at least work for it.