Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

GlasgowCeltic

I think I have to support them to stop Liverpool and City next year. Think they have the best chance of doing that.

Conte is class and he is improving the squad. Son, Kane, Kulusevski is the best attack in the league in my opinion if Mane leaves Liverpool.

The def is still a bit poor though so they could need a central defender.

Still think we should have gone for Conte, but Ten Haag I am happy with too. Think with weaker players Conte is better at making the likes of Maguire and Varane to perform.
Spurs aren’t stopping City and Liverpool doing anything next season

Tavern in the town

They’re in a weird situation because Conte plus their squad would usually mean a title challenge, but they’re up against two teams who’ve raised the bar to the point where they’ll need 95ish points to win the league. They’ll finish a comfortable 3rd imo.

Paul_Scholes18

Spurs aren’t stopping City and Liverpool doing anything next season
I think they will. They have a fantastic squad right now and a top class manager that usually wins things.

Conte usually do not need billions of years and gets things done quickly.

Spurs squad looks really good and in head to head they did beat City last year and two draws with Liverpool playing well and could have won.

Liverpool will be weaker without Mane and City might lose Bernardo Silva as well which would be a huge blow for them.

I think even if Haaland fails I think City reach 90 points roughly again so what is needed from Spurs is beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides.
They need a better Kane than last year for that I think who is more clinical.

GlasgowCeltic

I think they will. They have a fantastic squad right now and a top class manager that usually wins things.

Spurs squad looks really good and in head to head they did beat City last year and two draws with Liverpool playing well and could have won.

Liverpool will be weaker without Mane and City might lose Bernardo Silva as well which would be a huge blow for them.

I think even if Haaland fails I think City reach 90 points roughly again so what is needed from Spurs is beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides.
I think 4th again and Conte not walking out and it’s a great season for them

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Greenwood hasn't been charged.

But thanks for proving my point ;)
The only point this discussion seems to prove is that you feel Greenwood is hard done by because he's a United player.

Which frankly should make you reconsider a few things.

Paul_Scholes18

I think 4th again and Conte not walking out and it’s a great season for them
Surely if they do not get the title it is a failed league season for them just like it is for Liverpool this season.

Even if I think Pep will win it again since he is the best manager in the world and rarely fail against the weaker sides.

Kearnkoff69

Shrewd signings, and Conte raises the level of that team by himself. They'll undoubtedly be better this season.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
They also have Paratici who is known as one of the best DoF's in world football.
At Juventus the fans couldn't wait to get rid of him ... He is considered responsible for the quality of their squad deteriorating.

Tavern in the town

To be fair that's mostly by our own fans. Court of popular opinion and has charged, tried and convicted him already.
Why shouldn’t we? Do you seriously need a jury to tell you what to believe when there’s publicly available evidence that’s that damning?

erikcred

It's not enough to "do well" against the weaker sides. We're getting desensitized to the high level at which City are playing. Last season, Liverpool won 28 out of the 32 games against the bottom 16 teams and still didn't manage to win the title. A few years ago they got 97 points with one defeat and couldn't win the league. I don't think Spurs have ever won 28 games in a whole PL season. "beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides." :houllier:

MUFC OK

Why shouldn’t we? Do you seriously need a jury to tell you what to believe when there’s publicly available evidence that’s that damning?
As someone who works in the legal profession I choose not to subscribe to that alternate model of justice. It's why the judiciary exists.

Tavern in the town

As someone who works in the legal profession I choose not to subscribe to that alternate model of justice. It's why the judiciary exists.
It’s not an alternate model of justice because my opinion means nothing. Me thinking Greenwood is a wrongun isn’t going to land him in prison.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
To be fair that's mostly by our own fans. Court of popular opinion and has charged, tried and convicted him already.
Yeah that's the impression I get from the vast majority of your fan base.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I don't see any more vitriol aimed at Greenwood from opposition fans than I see from United fans.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
At Juventus the fans couldn't wait to get rid of him ... He is considered responsible for the quality of their squad deteriorating.
The same fans wanted rid of Bentancur and Kulusevski because they weren't good enough. Fans generally don't actually know much.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I hope they sign Palhinha. Will place a bet of him getting a yellow card or red card every match he plays.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Surely if they do not get the title it is a failed league season for them just like it is for Liverpool this season.

Even if I think Pep will win it again since he is the best manager in the world and rarely fail against the weaker sides.
Not sure if you live in an alternate reality or it's just a weird reverse jinx wum kind of post. Either way: no.
They are making smart moves for now. The kind of moves that could really cement their fourth place and keep United and Arsenal at a comfy distance.
I hope they do splash 50M on Richarlison because that would be a massive waste and probably the last portion of their budget.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It's not enough to "do well" against the weaker sides. We're getting desensitized to the high level at which City are playing. Last season, Liverpool won 28 out of the 32 games against the bottom 16 teams and still didn't manage to win the title. A few years ago they got 97 points with one defeat and couldn't win the league. I don't think Spurs have ever won 28 games in a whole PL season. "beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides." :houllier:
Liverpool and city did play badly in one season least in past three seasons. Spurs with Conte will get more than 80 points. So can't say they can't challenge with Conte as a coach. If they slip up then sure you can count on spurs to grab the chance. Chelsea,United and arsenal have lot of uncertainties.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The same fans wanted rid of Bentancur and Kulusevski because they weren't good enough. Fans generally don't actually know much.
They've had a good 6 months ... lets wait for next season before using them as an example. As a Ronaldo fanboy I frequented their forums for the last 3 years and Bentancur/Kulusevski are definitely playing way above what they have shown in the preceding few years.

marktan

The Bissouma signing is an excellent one especially for Conte since he's already so used to playing in a 5 at the back system. Will give them a lot more bite through the middle.

Given that they've signed Perisic and are likely signing Spence, they're trying to address their biggest weakness, the wing backs.

They probably need another attacker to rotate with, if they get Richarlison, well that's as good a Window as you could hope for and for a total cost of about £95m.

romufc

well that's as good a Window as you could hope for and for a total cost of about £95m.
How have you worked that out?

Spence is £20m
Richarlison is £50m
Bissouma £20m
Kulu & Romero are £60m

Paul_Scholes18

Not sure if you live in an alternate reality or it's just a weird reverse jinx wum kind of post. Either way: no.
They are making smart moves for now. The kind of moves that could really cement their fourth place and keep United and Arsenal at a comfy distance.
I hope they do splash 50M on Richarlison because that would be a massive waste and probably the last portion of their budget.
Well they are the third best side in theory and should go for the title. Conte has a good chance to do it.

Richarlison would be a top backup to Kane and Son, but not improve the 11. The type of signings City make to improve depth.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Spurs’ transfer business so far:
Forster-free transfer
Ivan Perisic- free transfer
Djed Spence-£20m (reportedly)
Bissouma-£25m (reportedly)

They’ll potential add Eriksen on a free too. If they bring in a forward, dare I say it, they’ll challenge next season. I don’t understand why United can’t make common sense signings like this. Passed up on Kamara on a free too.

I have a feeling that Glaston’s going to be making a smug return to the cafe and making himself at home next season.
Glaston has been camped in the Ukraine/Russia war thread so he’s been here for a while

TheLiverBird

My old man was a Spurs supporter but tragically passed away 12 weeks ago, certainly miss talking all things football with him and taking the mick but if Liverpool don’t win the League next season then I’d love nothing else than to see Spurs win it

however

Let’s say City and Liverpool keep to their recent standards in the League next season, does anyone really think the quality below them ie Chelsea and Spurs are seriously going to challenge or keep up with that kind of standard set by City and Pool, I really can’t see it personally

They’ll be better I believe, possibly closer to Chelsea, but League Challenging? Conte is a wonderful manager but I’d be shocked if he had them there next season challenging the top 2

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Barring both City and Liverpool experiencing massive injury crises I cant see it. City were 22 points and +44 goal differential ahead of Spurs last year and that was with Spurs essentially not really having European football under Conte and also getting a lot of other kinds of luck (most important players all went essentially the entire year without injury except Romero, their opponents had by far the most own goals and red cards of any team, etc).

Spurs are making good signings that really solidify their place as a top four side for the next year or two before Kane and Son fall off. They're raising the floor but not really elevating the ceiling. To hang with City you need to beat the smaller teams so consistently while playing a very packed schedule and Spurs don't have nearly enough quality to do that.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Be honest.

What would your reaction be if we signed a 34 year old perisic on a free, and Bissouma (potential sex assaulter) for 25m?

I mean would you HONESTLY be happy with that window?

feck sake.

It might be deemed a good window for spurs. But we should be nowhere near these types of players. Not if we want to win trophies.
How does that unproven claim diminish his ability as a footballer? Our midfield has been crying out for a player like him. Talk about sour grapes.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
With bissouma signing they have a good ball winning midfielder who loves to run and harrying opponents.This make their wing backs more dangerous with perisic and Spence very good in attack the wingbacks will really become lethal for their attack.

Also they have son Kane Moura and kulusevic in attack you can count on them to win most games.

Their weakness in defense will be compensated by scoring more goals in my opinion because of their attacking unit and quality they added in wing backs.

Oranges038

There's 3 guarantees in life.

Death, taxes and Spurs not winning anything.

Conte will be out the gap by Christmas.

Paul_Scholes18

Barring both City and Liverpool experiencing massive injury crises I cant see it. City were 22 points and +44 goal differential ahead of Spurs last year and that was with Spurs essentially not really having European football under Conte and also getting a lot of other kinds of luck (most important players all went essentially the entire year without injury except Romero, their opponents had by far the most own goals and red cards of any team, etc).

Spurs are making good signings that really solidify their place as a top four side for the next year or two before Kane and Son fall off. They're raising the floor but not really elevating the ceiling. To hang with City you need to beat the smaller teams so consistently while playing a very packed schedule and Spurs don't have nearly enough quality to do that.
They ended the season with 11-2-3 since the City game and Kulusevski and Bentancur playing regulary.
That is almost title form. If they improve on this with Contes management they can certainly reach 90.

Hard to tell if it is enough. City goes between 80-100 I think so they need them in a weaker year.
Liverpool can more go up and down I think.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
How have you worked that out?

Spence is £20m
Richarlison is £50m
Bissouma £20m
Kulu & Romero are £60m
Tbh you and I both know he was referring to new players being added to the squad in this window, they made the commitments for those players in previous windows. So you’re being pedantic here.

romufc

Tbh you and I both know he was referring to new players being added to the squad in this window, they made the commitments for those players in previous windows. So you’re being pedantic here.
A loan with option to buy is not commitment. Loan with obligation is a commitment.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They ended the season with 11-2-3 since the City game and Kulusevski and Bentancur playing regulary.
That is almost title form. If they improve on this with Contes management they can certainly reach 90.

Hard to tell if it is enough. City goes between 80-100 I think so they need them in a weaker year.
Liverpool can more go up and down I think.
Not only is that a cherrypicked run (they lost the three previous league matches) but even 11-2-3 is only an 83 point pace which would be 10 points behind City last year, and that was also without playing in any other competitions during that time and being able to start the same 11 nearly that entire time.

City's standard is ridiculously high right now.

Paul_Scholes18

Not only is that a cherrypicked run (they lost the three previous league matches) but even 11-2-3 is only an 83 point pace which would be 10 points behind City last year, and that was also without playing in any other competitions during that time and being able to start the same 11 nearly that entire time.

City's standard is ridiculously high right now.
Well it shows they improved near the end of last season with the new signings starting and getting into the team. That City game was the first time they started all the new signings and they got a deserved big win and played really well.

Yeah City are experts at beating the weaker sides, but Spurs got the tools to do it. Son and Kane are as good as it gets. Kulusevski adds another dimension.
If they add another striker they can rotate more if they want.

Conte has won league titles before he knows what it takes.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Maybe no Hollywood names there but smart signings that address issues in the squad. Hopefully Eriksen next.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Maybe no Hollywood names there but smart signings that address issues in the squad. Hopefully Eriksen next.
Perisic will be a great adition to the squad, despite the age. He's a very competitive player and he is very skilled, will bring experience and "fight for the win" mindset to the team.

erikcred

Liverpool and city did play badly in one season least in past three seasons. Spurs with Conte will get more than 80 points. So can't say they can't challenge with Conte as a coach. If they slip up then sure you can count on spurs to grab the chance. Chelsea,United and arsenal have lot of uncertainties.
But Liverpool were forced to play players like Ozan Kabak or some youth players in defense for a good part of the season and City in their "bad" season still won 15 in a row! They've both got to come down several levels for the title to be near achievable for anyone else.

As to Spurs grabbing the chance if these two do slip up enough to end up in the low 80s, that's exactly what happened in 2015/16. The big guns all failed and they still ended up 3rd in a 2-horse race. I'd bet on us getting back to a new round of glory years before they do anything meaningful. :D