Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

RVN1991

I think they will. They have a fantastic squad right now and a top class manager that usually wins things.

Conte usually do not need billions of years and gets things done quickly.

Spurs squad looks really good and in head to head they did beat City last year and two draws with Liverpool playing well and could have won.

Liverpool will be weaker without Mane and City might lose Bernardo Silva as well which would be a huge blow for them.

I think even if Haaland fails I think City reach 90 points roughly again so what is needed from Spurs is beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides.
They need a better Kane than last year for that I think who is more clinical.
I don't think they will either, but one thing that gives me encouragement is that they do seem to do well against both, especially against City. Think they'll finish third and possibly win one of the domestic cups, Conte hasn't been great in the CL but I'd put a lot of my eggs in that basket if I were him, not saying they'll be one of the favorites but a run like the one they had in 2019 would help them a lot more in the long run than finishing 3rd.

Lee565

Remember when united fans and Mr red nev said conte was wrong for united and is just another short manager, the same short term manager that has greatly improved spurs with dj Spence, kulusevski, romero, Bissouma, bentacour for good fees and sessegnon is thriving under him. His only short term buy is perisic and that is on a free.

ForeverRed1

Be honest.

What would your reaction be if we signed a 34 year old perisic on a free, and Bissouma (potential sex assaulter) for 25m?

I mean would you HONESTLY be happy with that window?

feck sake.

It might be deemed a good window for spurs. But we should be nowhere near these types of players. Not if we want to win trophies.
I agree but it doesn’t mean they won’t be good under conte. They will be half decent next season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Remember when united fans and Mr red nev said conte was wrong for united and is just another short manager, the same short term manager that has greatly improved spurs with dj Spence, kulusevski, romero, Bissouma, bentacour for good fees and sessegnon is thriving under him. His only short term buy is perisic and that is on a free.
And already got them CL…

Utd openly snubbing Conte is one of the worst decisions the club has made.

Just wait and see.

Caesar2290

I'm on the few who wasn't convinced by Spurs this season. They lost to us twice and I still remember that Soton game where Hassehuthl took them to the cleaners. The only reason they finished Top 4 is because Arsenal were shit and we were even more shit. A couple of signings still won't change the fact that they are well... Spurs.

I imagine with the new season we will have our shit together and think we will finish above Spurs comfortably.

Tavern in the town

I'm on the few who wasn't convinced by Spurs this season. They lost to us twice and I still remember that Soton game where Hassehuthl took them to the cleaners. The only reason they finished Top 4 is because Arsenal were shit and we were even more shit. A couple of signings still won't change the fact that they are well... Spurs.

I imagine with the new season we will have our shit together and think we will finish above Spurs comfortably.
We aren’t finishing above a team with Kane and Son managed by Conte and if we somehow do there’ll be nothing comfortable about it.

Caesar2290

We aren’t finishing above a team with Kane and Son managed by Conte and if we somehow do there’ll be nothing comfortable about it.
Conte gets overrated as all living hell on it based on that one season in the PL. Spurs even under Conte are very inconsistent. They barely edged the 4th and considering how bad both we and Arsenal were I don't think they will be that good as people expect them to.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
But Liverpool were forced to play players like Ozan Kabak or some youth players in defense for a good part of the season and City in their "bad" season still won 15 in a row! They've both got to come down several levels for the title to be near achievable for anyone else.

As to Spurs grabbing the chance if these two do slip up enough to end up in the low 80s, that's exactly what happened in 2015/16. The big guns all failed and they still ended up 3rd in a 2-horse race. I'd bet on us getting back to a new round of glory years before they do anything meaningful. :D
Conte is not a bottler like pochettino. He knew the league and he was the last one won the league other than pep and klopp all be it as chelsea manager though.

He will make spurs 80 + team coming season. Little help in luck here and there they can win it. I know it's not easy but not improbable.

He got a average team and yet finished above arsenal despite started his race lately. He always have the knack winning most against dross and that's much enough to challenge in my opinion if both liverpool and city slip up.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I feel they will build a interesting squad but must be said they are going to play in the Champions League where Conte hasn’t been great.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Conte gets overrated as all living hell on it based on that one season in the PL. Spurs even under Conte are very inconsistent. They barely edged the 4th and considering how bad both we and Arsenal were I don't think they will be that good as people expect them to.
It's his CL record that is poor.

I dont think there is any questioning of his pedigree from a league perspective. If you look at the PL table from the time he took over Spurs to the end of the season, in that period, Spurs were the second or third best team in the league for points accrued.

Applecrumble

Be honest.

What would your reaction be if we signed a 34 year old perisic on a free, and Bissouma (potential sex assaulter) for 25m?

I mean would you HONESTLY be happy with that window?

feck sake.

It might be deemed a good window for spurs. But we should be nowhere near these types of players. Not if we want to win trophies.
Agree. We wanted Perisic 3-4 years ago...

We wouldnt be happy with any of those signings.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
I dont think you are being fair on Conte. Conte took the job midseason, with a bunch of players who have been failures since CL finals from 2 seasons prior.
He needed 2 reinforcement in Jan to come into first XI -
The correct way to assess Conte is post Jan window. In last 14 PL games, Spurs kept 8 cleansheet, scored 36 goals, conceded just 7 - 10W 2D 2L with 32pts. Thats pretty impressive run that ended up Spurs finishing in top4.

Coming season, Spurs are upgrading the XI already - there will be futher 4 more additions - 2022/23 is going to be very good for Spurs and going to kick on. Hopefully finally land a trophy somehow...

Josh 76

Come on mate, he deserves better than that. Turning a team, who Ole comfortably beat 3-0 at their ground, to finish top 4 deserves a trophy in itself.

SambaBoy

You can expect Spurs to kick on a gear naturally having a full pre-season under Conte. I wouldn't underestimate the impact he can have on a team.

In Romero they have one of the top CB's in the league and it seems they are going for a more industrious approach in the middle of the park, two wing back outlets who are good going forward then you have Kane, Son and Kulusevki. Two of the very best attackers in the league, and Kulu who came in mid-season and did very well, I don't expect him to maintain the same sort of form but he's still a threat.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Conte is not a bottler like pochettino. He knew the league and he was the last one won the league other than pep and klopp all be it as chelsea manager though.

He will make spurs 80 + team coming season. Little help in luck here and there they can win it. I know it's not easy but not improbable.

He got a average team and yet finished above arsenal despite started his race lately. He always have the knack winning most against dross and that's much enough to challenge in my opinion if both liverpool and city slip up.
Conte is absolutely a top manager in league play and Spurs should be strong favorites for top four again. But they simply don't have the talent or depth to compete with City and Liverpool.

He actually had a ton of things in his favor last year: No European football after November. All important players other than Romero (Kane/Son/Dier/Hojbjerg/Kulu/Bentancur/Davies ) had nearly pristine injury records in league play. Six own goals scored by opponents over the whole season, no other PL team had more than 3. Six red cards also given to opponents, PL average was 2. Shit happens, it's football. But for all these reasons you can't just look at a small run of form and say that is the whole story.

More broadly, next season is just going to be an absolutely murderous grind. Depending on progression in the cups, Spurs and other clubs in Europe will probably play 55-60 matches, on top of many of the players having a World Cup right in the middle, with the 3-7 matches plus training and travel disruption that comes with it. Since they are in the CL and also are desperate to win a trophy, Spurs also won't have hardly any matches they feel they can truly blow off or deprioritize, beyond a favorable draw against a lower division side in the very early rounds of one of the domestic cups. More than any other year we've seen, next year will be a test of entire squads, which means that the talent of your best couple players becomes relatively less important than in a normal year (because they can't play every match, and Spurs won't have any competitions they are just blowing off like the ECL last year) and the talent of your second team more important than in a normal year. And even with a big summer Spurs will remain a top heavy side from a talent perspective. Their depth just isn't at the level of City, Liverpool, or even Chelsea.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Conte is absolutely a top manager in league play and Spurs should be strong favorites for top four again. But they simply don't have the talent or depth to compete with City and Liverpool.
You know, his recipe is a strong start, then stay together with or near the top dogs through the season, and finally build on the momentum and the self-belief to try a sprint. Will they be able to win the League? Probably not… yet he will have a proper go and feel it is within reach… this year…… or the next one with more experience and a further, better squad.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
You know, his recipe is a strong start, then stay together with or near the top dogs through the season, and finally build on the momentum and the self-belief to try a sprint. Will they be able to win the League? Probably not… yet he will have a proper go and feel it is within reach… this year…… or the next one with more experience and a further, better squad.
I agree that is the formula and also that he wouldn't stay in the job if he didn't think he had at least a small chance of doing it. I just don't see it happening.

Post-Juventus, his two really triumphant seasons following this formula were also one in which his side weren't in Europe at all (Chelsea 16-17) and one in which they got knocked out in the group stages (Inter 20-21). I think his recipe works best when he can focus his side on only one competition and doesn't have to rotate very much.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I dont think you are being fair on Conte. Conte took the job midseason, with a bunch of players who have been failures since CL finals from 2 seasons prior.
He needed 2 reinforcement in Jan to come into first XI -
The correct way to assess Conte is post Jan window. In last 14 PL games, Spurs kept 8 cleansheet, scored 36 goals, conceded just 7 - 10W 2D 2L with 32pts. Thats pretty impressive run that ended up Spurs finishing in top4.

Coming season, Spurs are upgrading the XI already - there will be futher 4 more additions - 2022/23 is going to be very good for Spurs and going to kick on. Hopefully finally land a trophy somehow...
Yes you can count on Conte. He is a great manager and for me he is better than klopp and on par with pep. And he simply manage situation with Kane without any problem.

Hope levy back him and keep him happy and he will bring trophy for you without doubt.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I agree that is the formula and also that he wouldn't stay in the job if he didn't think he had at least a small chance of doing it. I just don't see it happening.

Post-Juventus, his two really triumphant seasons following this formula were also one in which his side weren't in Europe at all (Chelsea 16-17) and one in which they got knocked out in the group stages (Inter 20-21). I think his recipe works best when he can focus his side on only one competition and doesn't have to rotate very much.
You are underestimating him very much. He is not having wealth of pep or klopp in transfer activities. He did well as much as he could in all competitions wherever he was. He went up to final in fa cup when he won league with Chelsea. Next season he won the cup itself. In most club's he managed other than juve he doesn't have longevity.

So there may be a problem in rotation and squad quality didn't help him much either. So can give that benefit of the doubt to conte.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think Spurs signings show you what type of team they are going to be next season. Spence, Perisic, Bissouma all physical, athletic, aggressive players.

A back 5 and a midfield of Bentancur, Bissouma or Hojbjerg isn't going to win many style points, but I bet they are going to be a right pain in the a*se to play against. They'll look to outrun, out fight, and overwhelm teams and get that front 3 to win them games.

slored1

A typical Conte team. Bissouma is a budget Kanté, Perisic is still a great wingback, not sure about Spence though. If they get Richarlison, Eriksen and Bastoni as well, they are the clear third best team in the land on paper for me.

Paul_Scholes18

I am annoyed with how fast they are making signings. They need it less than us.

They improve the depth of the Spurs squad a lot.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Think Spurs signings show you what type of team they are going to be next season. Spence, Perisic, Bissouma all physical, athletic, aggressive players.

A back 5 and a midfield of Bentancur, Bissouma or Hojbjerg isn't going to win many style points, but I bet they are going to be a right pain in the a*se to play against. They'll look to outrun, out fight, and overwhelm teams and get that front 3 to win them games.
That front 3 can easily win them games if the midfield and defence can keep it tight and restrict other teams. Still think they are light in midfield, three players to cover 2 positions but have to compete in four competitions.

My only concern would be not a lot of forward play from the midfield for teams that just want to put everyone behind the ball and play out 0-0 draws. You cannot really rely on hitting them on the counter, do they have enough progressive options in the midfield for that scenario? Im not so certain, only Bentancur really could thread a pass through to fashion opportunities, Hojbjerg, Bissouma are DM's in my mind. Guess with Conte ball they will be relying a lot on their wingbacks in those scenarios to be firing in accurate crosses.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That front 3 can easily win them games if the midfield and defence can keep it tight and restrict other teams. Still think they are light in midfield, three players to cover 2 positions but have to compete in four competitions.

My only concern would be not a lot of forward play from the midfield for teams that just want to put everyone behind the ball and play out 0-0 draws. You cannot really rely on hitting them on the counter, do they have enough progressive options in the midfield for that scenario? Im not so certain, only Bentancur really could thread a pass through to fashion opportunities, Hojbjerg, Bissouma are DM's in my mind. Guess with Conte ball they will be relying a lot on their wingbacks in those scenarios to be firing in accurate crosses.
We have Skipp (who was superb last season), Sarr (could get loaned out I guess) and to be honest I still think we will get Eriksen. Our midfield is going to be very strong with good depth.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Quietly going about doing good business. I do feel people miss the point with Conte though. He’s a top draw manager, he just isn’t a Manchester Utd manager. Had this debate a million times but Utd should want more even in our low points, a manager like Klopp or Pep are the aspiration for both style of play and winning. Conte will be tough to beat though next season. I think he will beat out Chelsea next season and then I expect Utd to compete for 3rd/4th with them if we get our own business done.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
People forget about Skipp because he missed the 2nd half of the season injured but up until that point he was arguably our best player, though not a great deal of competition admittedly.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Depending on signings we make I think it‘s us and Spurs battling it out for third but a little closer to the top two than previous years. We need to get our recruitment right to avoid them overtaking us.

I am slightly worried about spurs, financially they’re catching up (when they’re in the CL), they have the infrastructure in that amazing stadium and now they’re putting all the right things in place for Conte. It may be a false dawn but I can see them doing well in the longer term.

We need Boelhy to bed in fast and invest in the stadium/commercials to keep us ahead

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

He'll just have the WB's play in a progressive way/step up on those types of teams. Additionally, I think Erikson will go back as the option to use for the last 30 mins against super low block teams.

Josh 76

A typical Conte team. Bissouma is a budget Kanté, Perisic is still a great wingback, not sure about Spence though. If they get Richarlison, Eriksen and Bastoni as well, they are the clear third best team in the land on paper for me.
And have the third best coach in the land.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
We have Skipp (who was superb last season), Sarr (could get loaned out I guess) and to be honest I still think we will get Eriksen. Our midfield is going to be very strong with good depth.
Skip has had a lot of injury trouble and will have to see if he can bounce back from that and remain fit, Lo Celso certainly did not. Sarr? Who?

If you get Eriksen, yes good option to come on if it's still 0-0 around the hour mark and try and unlock those kinds of teams that will just sit in a low block. Still an if though, although looking at Eriksen's options where else would he go really? Offer from an old club he is familiar with, in a city he is familiar with, and the added bonus of CL football. I didnt follow his departure from Spurs so not sure if it was an acrimonious affair with Levy or everything was agreed.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Skip has had a lot of injury trouble and will have to see if he can bounce back from that and remain fit, Lo Celso certainly did not. Sarr? Who?

If you get Eriksen, yes good option to come on if it's still 0-0 around the hour mark and try and unlock those kinds of teams that will just sit in a low block. Still an if though, although looking at Eriksen's options where else would he go really? Offer from an old club he is familiar with, in a city he is familiar with, and the added bonus of CL football. I didnt follow his departure from Spurs so not sure if it was an acrimonious affair with Levy or everything was agreed.
Skipp has had surgery on what was a problematic groin injury so fingers crossed that will sort it and he will be fit and ready to go. We signed Pape Matar Sarr last year and he has been playing on loan at Metz through last season. Only 19 but very highly rated so it's likely Conte will want a pre-season with him to see if he feels he is ready to be part of the squad, if not another loan will happen. If we get Eriksen it would mean Conte could change to a 5-3-2 formation in certain matches so his signing would give added tactical flexibility as well as a fantastic player to bring off the bench. Having a good quality depth of squad is going to be especially vital next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They've been linked to Pau Torres aswell haven't they?

Dropping him into the back 3 alongside Romero would be a very strong unit to build with them in mid 20s.

Can't see them challenging Liverpool and Man. City as that requires them racking up 90 points but they should be finishing above Chelsea who'll have a transitional 12 months with all the changes behind the scenes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They've been linked to Pau Torres aswell haven't they?

Dropping him into the back 3 alongside Romero would be a very strong unit to build with them in mid 20s.

Can't see them challenging Liverpool and Man. City as that requires them racking up 90 points but they should be finishing above Chelsea who'll have a transitional 12 months with all the changes behind the scenes.
We have - by all accounts we are looking to sign two central defenders this window - Bastoni looks like he was our top target though that is looking unlikely now so Pau Torres may be the backup. Other than that I hear we are interested in Bremer as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some big money being spent here but I like their signings so far;

Perisic - Good for free and technically sound

Bissouma - Tad overrated on the Caf but obviously a decent player with an excellent engine

Richarlison - Always liked him and think he’ll do very well. Obviously paid too much though and can’t see how he fits with everyone available?

Going to be interesting next season. Any other links? Djed Spence?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Bissouma - Tad overrated on the Caf but obviously a decent player with an excellent engine

Richarlison - Always liked him and think he’ll do very well. Obviously paid too much though and can’t see how he fits with everyone available?

I think they will get the 4th spot over Arsenal again next season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's not enough to "do well" against the weaker sides. We're getting desensitized to the high level at which City are playing. Last season, Liverpool won 28 out of the 32 games against the bottom 16 teams and still didn't manage to win the title. A few years ago they got 97 points with one defeat and couldn't win the league. I don't think Spurs have ever won 28 games in a whole PL season. "beat City one game and do well vs the weaker sides." :houllier:
Good post. Spurs challenging for the title ? Are these caftards for real ? 3rd is where they could finish at best

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Spence should come in very soon then we are after two central defenders and possibly an attacking midfielder.

Skills

Snitch
Seems like they're rolling the dice with Conte. Fair play, they won't get a better manager than him coupled with the prime end of Kane and Son's careers