Spurs 2022-2023 thread | Bentancur out for the rest of the season

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why have they struggled to sign big players then? There’s a definite lack of ambition with the current owners.
We don't have the resources to get them that's why. We can't compete financially with the other top 6 clubs. We COULD but our owner refuses to spend the money as all he cares about is the bottom line so it's budget signings hoping they turn good mostly.

It's been like this for years which is why most Spurs fans want new owners.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Very rarely works that way. Football is a momentum game. Knowing Levy they definitely won’t invest properly without Europe money.

To me they’re actually at a crossroads. They could easily be overtaken (long-term) by Brighton, Villa, Brentford and the likes.
Short term yes, long term no.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We don't have the resources to get them that's why. We can't compete financially with the other top 6 clubs. We COULD but our owner refuses to spend the money as all he cares about is the bottom line so it's budget signings hoping they turn good mostly.

Yep, 100% this.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@balaks Are you guys actually going to sign Arne Slot or is it mostly the Dutch media fueling this story? Our Ajax loving country obviously wants him to leave Feyenoord and stop battering their poor darlings, so I'm still hoping it's just smoke.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@balaks Are you guys actually going to sign Arne Slot or is it mostly the Dutch media fueling this story? Our Ajax loving country obviously wants him to leave Feyenoord and stop battering their poor darlings, so I'm still hoping it's just smoke.
From what I hear Slot is very likely to be our next manager. I think he is a very talented coach and will do well so I'm all for it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
From what I hear Slot is very likely to be our next manager. I think he is a very talented coach and will do well so I'm all for it
He really is a great coach. Best one I've seen at Feyenoord with a huge margin. Not because he won us a title and put us back in the map in Europe, but mostly for doing it after losing the entire squad 2 years in a row and so quickly implementing a completely unrecognizable (in a good way) style of football.

He's also very intelligent and eloquent and a much balder man than Pep en Ten Hag.

Dammit, I may have to start supporting Spurs if he goes there.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He really is a great coach. Best one I've seen at Feyenoord with a huge margin. Not because he won us a title and put us back in the map in Europe, but mostly for doing it after losing the entire squad 2 years in a row and so quickly implementing a completely unrecognizable (in a good way) style of football.

He's also very intelligent and eloquent and a much balder man than Pep en Ten Hag.

He is superbly bald yes. The only fly in the ointment would be Naglesmann who I think Levy would bring in if he thought he could. Personally I would actually prefer Slot because he would really want to be here and I think Naglesmann would see us more of a stepping stone so I would question his commitment.

Ludens the Red

Im intrigued…. What’s he brought in ?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Wonder if there’s a chance that Levy misses out on his first option(s) as they don’t seem to be any closer in appointing a DoF. And you’d hope as a Spurs fan that the DoF would have a lot to say in the manager search and recruitment.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im intrigued…. What’s he brought in ?
We play a bit like City-lite. We obviously lack the Haalands, Gundogans and DeBruynes, but we similarly play a very dominant game with relentless pressure on the opponent and a lot of movement. I'm not very good at explaining football tactics, but we are usually known for our hard working, but unglamorous players (like Dirk Kuyt), but now we're suddenly this dominant team that plays a very exciting brand of football. And it's extra impressive, because we have some of the worst wingers of the entire league. Ok, maybe not the entire league, but they're really bad.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We play a bit like City-lite. We obviously lack the Haalands, Gundogans and DeBruynes, but we similarly play a very dominant game with relentless pressure on the opponent and a lot of movement. I'm not very good at explaining football tactics, but we are usually known for our hard working, but unglamorous players (like Dirk Kuyt), but now we're suddenly this dominant team that plays a very exciting brand of football. And it's extra impressive, because we have some of the worst wingers of the entire league. Ok, maybe not the entire league, but they're really bad.
He has done an incredible job for sure. I really hope we bring him in - he gives me Poch vibes but better.

Zoo

Haha Sky even sent out that clown Cotterill out to the Netherlands again to follow him around.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah that could easily just be him wanting to be seen as leaving not because he wanted to - no idea if this will happen but i'm not that concerned about those quotes. As far as I have heard the two clubs are still in negotiations.

Halftrack

Remember when EtH had an interview with Spurs, then immediately went and extended with Ajax? Would be funny if the same happened with Slot.

Acrually it would be incredibly funny this turns into a repeat of their last protracted manager search.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What kind of top or good manager wants to come to works under Levy now after what he did with Mourinho sacking him before the final EFL Cup and after Conte made an honest opinion about the mentality of the board?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I agree the owner and the board is obviously the problem but I disagree it's mainly because of the resources but it's more with the way how you run the club. The mentality and the perspective of the board is just more about financial aspect not about winning trophies. Getting top 4 is more important than winning EFL Cup hence why Levy would rather sack Mourinho before the final than wait after final.

As for resources, since Arteta took in charged both arsenal and spurs had similar net spent. If Arteta was in Spurs, he would have been sacked by Levy for finishing in 8th. Might not even let him to play in Final FA Cup if Arteta makes it Spurs to final FA Cup like what he did it to Arsenal in his first season. Levy doesn't seem to have this idea of long term to rebuild and the board has no plan because Levy just pick random managers without planning how to support the manager.

Dortmund haven't win Bundesliga for years then they sold Haaland and Sancho, use the money to rebuild and now they might win Bundesliga. Spurs wouldn't sell prime Kane and prime Son to do the same.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What kind of top or good manager wants to come to works under Levy now after what he did with Mourinho sacking him before the final EFL Cup and after Conte made an honest opinion about the mentality of the board?
There aren't many jobs around that lets you get away with slagging off your bosses, Conte was out as soon as he opened his mouth in public, with Mourinho it was always going to happen, wasn't the first time with him and probably won't be the last

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Getting top 4 is more important than winning EFL Cup hence why Levy would rather sack Mourinho before the final than wait after final
Levy must have been reading CAF forums because that's the sentiment of a lot of our fanbase

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Levy must have been reading CAF forums because that's the sentiment of a lot of our fanbase
I would rather get top 4 than win EFL Cup because we have won EFL cups so many times. But Spurs shouldn't be in the position to be so picky about winning trophies. Two different clubs with two different ambition due to the history.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There aren't many jobs around that lets you get away with slagging off your bosses, Conte was out as soon as he opened his mouth in public, with Mourinho it was always going to happen, wasn't the first time with him and probably won't be the last
When a manager slagging off Levy and the board publicly, we know there is problem with Levy and the board. This would make any good managers to think twice before they come to work under Levy.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I would rather get top 4 than win EFL Cup because we have won EFL cups so many times. But Spurs shouldn't be in the position to be so picky about winning trophies. Two different clubs with two different ambition due to the history.
I would pick a trophy any time over top 4, top 4 is solely about money, the history books don't look at top 4 finishes as success, they look at trophies won

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
When a manager slagging off Levy and the board publicly, we know there is problem with Levy and the board. This would make any good managers to think twice before they come to work under Levy.
Of course there is, it also means you're getting sacked so he can't complain about that (not suggesting he is)

Anyway he must have known this before he took the job, it's not really a secret how Spurs are run

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would pick a trophy any time over top 4, top 4 is solely about money, the history books don't look at top 4 finishes as success, they look at trophies won
I want my club to play in champions league not because money but to compete in champions league to win it not wining EFL cup because I know man united level are supposed to be winning champions league level not winning EFL level. I have witnessed my club to win EFL cup many times already, I want my club to win champions league.

On the other hand, Spurs should be happy to win any kind of trophies, because they haven’t win it for ages. It’s not like sacking Mourinho and replace him with Mason will make them finish in top 4, that was stupid idea to begin with.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Of course there is, it also means you're getting sacked so he can't complain about that (not suggesting he is)

Anyway he must have known this before he took the job, it's not really a secret how Spurs are run
That‘s not really relevant to my point anyway. The point is what kind of good manager wants to come to Spurs when in the past these good managers had problem with the board and levy? This makes any good manager to think twice before they come to Spurs now.

Marcus

Isn't Potter the ideal person to take over? Successful on limited funds. Also no compensation needed.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I want my club to play in champions league not because money but to compete in champions league to win it not wining EFL cup because I know man united level are supposed to be winning champions league level not winning EFL level.

On the other hand, Spurs should be happy to win any kind of trophies, because they haven’t win it for ages. It’s not like sacking Mourinho and replace him with Mason will make them finish in top 4, that was stupid idea to begin with.
So you think Spurs shouldn't aspire to play in the CL because they haven't won anything in years

the CL is just a money making exercise, it's why it was created in the first place, to me, that an English club that finishes 4th gains entry to it and yet the champions of another country don't is just plain wrong

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Isn't Potter the ideal person to take over? Successful on limited funds. Also no compensation needed.
On paper yes. I thought the same thing last year when I thought he would be more suitable than Conte.

But then again, when you look at Levy. He doesn’t want to rebuild, he just wants to secure top 4. To put it simple, can you see Spurs run the club like arsenal did under Arteta? Arteta couldn’t finish in top 4 for 3 times in a row but they kept him and let him to rebuild. Potter needs time to rebuild but that would damage Levy’s pocket for not finishing top 4 for 4 times in a row.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That‘s not really relevant to my point anyway. The point is what kind of good manager wants to come to Spurs when in the past these good managers had problem with the board and levy? This makes any good manager to think twice before they come to Spurs now.
Well it hasn't stopped the "good" managers yet so we'll have to see who the next one is