Spurs Documentary: All or nothing

Acole9

Outstanding
Saw some clips there of it and decided to give it a shot.

Subscribed for the first time ever to Netflix just to watch it.

Searched for it on Netflix then realised it’s on Amazon.
:lol: Very good. Just got prime, quite enjoying it so far. Mourinho swearing sounds unnatural.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve watched all 9 now and quite enjoyed it, just have to take it as it is and not too seriously. Clearly edited to show levy and spurs in a positive light but that’s expected too.

Son and winks came across good throughout, Dier like a bit of a dick, sometimes looked edited that way, especially showing him with a kind of swagger on the training field with his Mohican after taking out Son, was funny.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
During the opening credits when Mou says “the most important things are Courage, Honesty and Family”, that’s so cringeworthy.

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

If it's any consolation, the San Antonio Spurs feature quite heavily in the Michael Jordan doc.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Watch the Sunderland one instead

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ndombole situation and conversations were really insightful. It must have been similar to Fred in his first 12 months.

i think so many fans underestimate how hard it is for young players to come from other countries and join Manchester United and the Premier League, with the all pressure and intensity that brings.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Must say I’m totally won over by Daniel Levy. He is a true football man and loves and cares for his club deeply. He knows how to deal with players on many levels as well as have a great rapport with his manager.

Before this series, he was portrayed as a mean money man, but I’ve seen him as a decent guy who loves the business of Tottenham.

I’m guessing he is a far better CEO than Woodward.

Amarsdd

Must say I’m totally won over by Daniel Levy. He is a true football man and loves and cares for his club deeply. He knows how to deal with players on many levels as well as have a great rapport with his manager.

Before this series, he was portrayed as a mean money man, but I’ve seen him as a decent guy who loves the business of Tottenham.

I can bet if there was All or Nothing documentary about United, you'd come out of it loving Woodward and thinking he's the best at his job. That's basically been the job of these All or nothing documentaries.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I can bet if there was All or Nothing documentary about United, you'd come out of it loving Woodward and thinking he's the best at his job. That's basically been the job of these All or nothing documentaries.
i hated everyone at City if that helps?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I agree that he clearly cares about the club and really wants to win, not just to make money.

But the documentary has deepened my belief that he is also the type of owner who thinks he knows much more about the sport than he really does and whose ego won't allow him to step back and let actual football people make the most important decisions. He is a little bit like Woodward in this respect. In both cases, if they really had the best interests of the club in mind, not just their own egos, they would cut checks and make high level business decisions while hiring and empowering smart football people to make the football decisions.

Fluctuation0161

Not hard to be better than Woodward though.

You sure you've not been sucked in by the all or nothing Spurs PR? It seems highly edited to me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not hard to be better than Woodward though.
You sure you've not been sucked in by the all or nothing Spurs PR? It seems highly edited to me.
You have to admit that Levy is nothing like he has been portrayed or discussed on here over the years?

And you can’t deny his vision and spending massively on infrastructure to make that happen.
According to the series, Mourinho tried very hard to make them ‘cnuts’ which was their historic weakness. I think they will be very strong next season

AsonUnique

I enjoyed the show but my wife pointed out Mourinho seemed and acted like Borat and I can't unsee it.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Ndombole situation and conversations were really insightful. It must have been similar to Fred in his first 12 months.

i think so many fans underestimate how hard it is for young players to come from other countries and join Manchester United and the Premier League, with the all pressure and intensity that brings.
I agree, remember Son's first season at Spurs? He was going to go back to the Bundesliga it seemed after a poor season. Even Modric, too light weight for a two in midfield, not good enough to make it in the PL, etc etc. Occasionally you will get a player who comes in and settles really quickly, but that is not the norm. As we are talking about spurs someone like Van Der Vaart springs to mind, I don't think he took any time adjusting. Walked into the team and started banging them in and providing assists.

RashyForPM

You have to admit that Levy is nothing like he has been portrayed or discussed on here over the years?

And you can’t deny his vision and spending massively on infrastructure to make that happen.
According to the series, Mourinho tried very hard to make them ‘cnuts’ which was their historic weakness. I think they will be very strong next season
They started atrociously vs Everton, and long may it continue.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Well done, you reacted exactly as they wanted you to.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Overall its a good watch. Its a good PR job for especially Levy who comes across well. Jose comes across as somebody who does and says a lot of the right things but is being let down. I thought he dealt with the Son/Lloris thing well.

I dont know if its the editing but a lot of the teamtalks seem to focus more on the negatives than the positives. It doesnt focus on what players are doing well and should continue. But its almost as if saying, I know you guys will make a mistake, so please this time try not to.
10 seconds later.
And Spurs have conceded.

I think Son and Winks come off well in the whole show.
Dier comes off the worst for me. The part with him rushing into the crowd is made even worse by his explanation. Im surprised they didnt just edit that out.

Would have been really fascinating if this was done with no input from Spurs. Im still laughing at Joses celebrations on getting Europa (but would be funny if they cant even get past the qualifiers, but we know they will)
On a superficial level you are right. But I think any discerning viewer looks at Levy and sees what a self obsessed ego maniac he probably is. His appearances are so effectively stage managed. Always saying the right thing, hitting all his talking points and constantly reinforcing how hard his job is and what a man of the people he is. To me it comes across as incredibly fake. Nothing he says sounds genuine, it all sounds stage managed.

As for Mourinho, I think most good leaders embrace the idea that positive reinforcement is a much more powerful motivator than negative. It just works so much better. This is an almost universally accepted leadership principle. Mourinho uses so much negative feedback and corrective avoidant leadership, I’m not surprised he loses the dressing room within 2-3 seasons. I find him remarkably uninspiring and his team talks inspire fear of the opposition, rather than the belief they can win.

Eddy_JukeZ

It was a good watch.

I thought the sides they showed of Jose make it even more obvious why he keeps failing lately.

I found Levy even more unlikable. He comes off incredibly fake.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

There’s literally nothing you can learn from Levy’s heavily stage managed appearance in this documentary. He sounds like a walking PR exercise in this. Nothing he says comes across as remotely genuine. Not a genuine flicker of emotion, not a stressful or real moment. He appears always in reflective mood to tell us how hard his job is and what a top guy he is caring about the community. We never see him actually working or facing real situations. His appearances are meaningless, and clearly constructed to make him look as good as possible. As he is undoubtedly the driving force behind this documentary, it just feeds into my impression that he is a self absorbed ego maniac. I wasn’t impressed by him at all. He didn’t say anything remotely insightful or intelligent. In the one vaguely candid moment when Mourinho is discussing the development of Harry Winks, Levy has literally nothing to contribute, Just blind agreement because he didn’t want to get caught on camera saying anything that could later be construed as him not knowing what he was talking about.

The more I watch this, the more I realise how superficial and uninformative this documentary really is. It’s a glorified PR exercise and we stately see anything of any real substance. Half of every episode is talking up the facilities and achievements of the club and putting them into a context that infers awe, but to any long time follower of football, aren’t particularly impressive and lack context against bigger clubs.

The most interesting parts are the Mourinho team talks, which are at least candid, if not heavily edited. We really get a good view of how negative his approach really is. Despite the Amazon crew rolling out one player every episode to tell us what an amazing coach he is, you get the impression looking at the player’s body language and faces, that they are wearing of his reductive approach to the game and aren’t buying into his methods. Pretty much exactly what we’ve seen happen at all his previous clubs. It makes alarming viewing if you are a Tottenham fan.

A lot of people saying Dier looks like a prick. But I liked his passion. He seemed like a real person, and footballers these days aren’t even vaguely relatable to ordinary people. Dele Allí seems like the most banal and disconnected human being I’ve encountered. His memorable sound bites include asking wether people put toothpaste on a toothbrush before or after water, and informing us that he made a can of baked beans in the microwave like it’s an achievement. He seemed half brain dead to me.

Harry Winks came across as a genuinely good kid and Harry Kane as the most dim witted individual imaginable.

Just to go back to Levy, in the meeting with Eriksen in which people say Eriksen didn’t come across well. What struck me was that Wriksen was there for a genuine meeting. He had communicated his desire to leave and it had obviously been agreed long before. These things don’t happen overnight and a lot will have happened off camera. His asking for an update seems reasonable. But Levy, you can see, is acutely aware of the cameras. Him restating in that meeting that they would match any offer and they didn’t want him to leave was so unnecessary. He didn’t even wait for a response because he knew it was rhetorical. It had all already been agreed. Levy is there restating it for the cameras to make himself look so reasonable and warm. But He just comes across as so fake. You can see in Eriksens face that he is completely baffled.

The more you watch this the more it stinks as a Levy vanity project, and appears increasingly small time.

Last edited:
There’s literally nothing you can learn from Levy’s heavily stage managed appearance in this documentary. He sounds like a walking PR exercise in this. Nothing he says comes across as remotely genuine. Not a genuine flicker of emotion, not a stressful or real moment. He appears always in reflective mood to tell us how hard his job is and what a top guy he is caring about the community. We never see him actually working or facing real situations. His appearances are meaningless, and clearly constructed to make him look as good as possible. As he is undoubtedly the driving force behind this documentary, it just feeds into my impression that he is a self absorbed ego maniac. I wasn’t impressed by him at all. He didn’t say anything remotely insightful or intelligent. In the one vaguely candid moment when Mourinho is discussing the development of Harry Winks, Levy has literally nothing to contribute, Just blind agreement because he didn’t want to get caught on camera saying anything that could later be construed as him not knowing what he was talking about.

The more I watch this, the more I realise how superficial and uninformative this documentary really is. It’s a glorified PR exercise and we stately see anything of any real substance. Half of every episode is talking up the facilities and achievements of the club and putting them into a context that infers awe, but to any long time follower of football, aren’t particularly impressive and lack context against bigger clubs.

The most interesting parts are the Mourinho team talks, which are at least candid, if not heavily edited. We really get a good view of how negative his approach really is. Despite the Amazon crew rolling out one player every episode to tell us what an amazing coach he is, you get the impression looking at the player’s body language and faces, that they are wearing of his reductive approach to the game and aren’t buying into his methods. Pretty much exactly what we’ve seen happen at all his previous clubs. It makes alarming viewing if you are a Tottenham fan.

A lot of people saying Dier looks like a prick. But I liked his passion. He seemed like a real person, and footballers these days aren’t even vaguely relatable to ordinary people. Dele Allí seems like the most banal and disconnected human being I’ve encountered. His memorable sound bites include asking wether people put toothpaste on a toothbrush before or after water, and informing us that he made a can of baked beans in the microwave like it’s an achievement. He seemed half brain dead to me.

Harry Winks came across as a genuinely good kid and Harry Kane as the most dim witted individual imaginable.

Just to go back to Levy, in the meeting with Eriksen in which people say Eriksen didn’t come across well. What struck me was that Wriksen was there for a genuine meeting. He had communicated his desire to leave and it had obviously been agreed long before. These things don’t happen overnight and a lot will have happened off camera. His asking for an update seems reasonable. But Levy, you can see, is acutely aware of the cameras. Him restating in that meeting that they would match any offer and they didn’t want him to leave was so unnecessary. He didn’t even wait for a response because he knew it was rhetorical. It had all already been agreed. Levy is there restating it for the cameras to make himself look so reasonable and warm. But He just comes across as so fake. You can see in Eriksens face that he is completely baffled.

The more you watch this the more it stinks as a Levy vanity project, and appears increasingly small time.
Dont know why you bothered watching it. You would have been better turning off after the first episode.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Dont know why you bothered watching it. You would have been better turning off after the first episode.
A cliched response that offers little of any insightful value or by way of a rebuttal. Because my review is negative, and I have seen through the superficial veil, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have watched it. I have enjoyed seeing my perceptions of Mourinho’s leadership style being confirmed.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Players who came across well - Son, Winks, Tanganga, Sissoko, Moura

Players who came across bad/dumb - Alli, Kane, Dier, Aurier, Rose

Jose comes across surprisingly well. Levy seems like a robot performing for the cameras.

Sylar

On a superficial level you are right. But I think any discerning viewer looks at Levy and sees what a self obsessed ego maniac he probably is. His appearances are so effectively stage managed. Always saying the right thing, hitting all his talking points and constantly reinforcing how hard his job is and what a man of the people he is. To me it comes across as incredibly fake. Nothing he says sounds genuine, it all sounds stage managed.

As for Mourinho, I think most good leaders embrace the idea that positive reinforcement is a much more powerful motivator than negative. It just works so much better. This is an almost universally accepted leadership principle. Mourinho uses so much negative feedback and corrective avoidant leadership, I’m not surprised he loses the dressing room within 2-3 seasons. I find him remarkably uninspiring and his team talks inspire fear of the opposition, rather than the belief they can win.
Thing is, this doc isnt really aimed at us football fans, if that makes sense. This would have been seen as a way or a tool to attract new fans. People who dont watch football or dont follow a team, will see this and think ,wow, this guy in charge really cares about the team and club and wants whats best. Hes like a fan because he is a fan, etc.
As a PR stunt, this is great for Spurs. Even the whole narrative of going from 14th to 6th is seen as a positive (negating there was a time they were three points of 4th and one time ahead of United too).

Of course it comes across as fake to you and me. And tbh we watched it so Amazon will be happy. I knew it would be heavily edited but i watched it for entertainment purposes not for anything else.

For those who are watching the inner workings for the first time, this would be something else however.

tob

Now we really see how Mourinho acts inside the dressing room, and where his focus is during pre-game talks. Defense. Defensive position. Responsibility. The importance of not conceding goals. Mistakes leading to goals. How to play against a high press. He really just focus on not making mistakes that leads to giving the opponent an opportunity to score.

I've only watched clips on youtube and we obviously don't get to see all of the "behind the scene" meetings in this documentary, but when it comes to offensive plays I've only seen one comment and that was on Dele Alli making a lazy pass. Not anything on how you can play to make the opponent weaker, or how to take advantage of their weaknesses. He mostly focus on the opponents strength and how to not get exploit by that. You wanna educate your attacking players on how to make the opponent players making mistakes. Attacking players must get the defending player to make decisions, and exploit them when they make the wrong ones. Then you have to train them on making the right decision themselves when the opportunity opens up.

I think Mourinho's offensive structure is just depending on the attacking players doing the right thing instead of teaching them and helping them doing so. He has the perfect player for it in Harry Kane. Now, when they're also getting Bale, he must be in dreamland. Those two knows how to create and score goals. Exploit the opponent and making the right decision is in their backbone. They're experienced and know when the opponent has put themselves in a difficult situation, and they know how to take advantage of it. They're both quite injury prone, but if they can stay free from injury, then maybe Mourinho can get something out of this team by just focusing on the defensive structure.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Now we really see how Mourinho acts inside the dressing room, and where his focus is during pre-game talks. Defense. Defensive position. Responsibility. The importance of not conceding goals. Mistakes leading to goals. How to play against a high press. He really just focus on not making mistakes that leads to giving the opponent an opportunity to score.

I've only watched clips on youtube and we obviously don't get to see all of the "behind the scene" meetings in this documentary, but when it comes to offensive plays I've only seen one comment and that was on Dele Alli making a lazy pass. Not anything on how you can play to make the opponent weaker, or how to take advantage of their weaknesses. He mostly focus on the opponents strength and how to not get exploit by that. You wanna educate your attacking players on how to make the opponent players making mistakes. Attacking players must get the defending player to make decisions, and exploit them when they make the wrong ones. Then you have to train them on making the right decision themselves when the opportunity opens up.

I think Mourinho's offensive structure is just depending on the attacking players doing the right thing instead of teaching them and helping them doing so. He has the perfect player for it in Harry Kane. Now, when they're also getting Bale, he must be in dreamland. Those two knows how to create and score goals. Exploit the opponent and making the right decision is in their backbone. They're experienced and know when the opponent has put themselves in a difficult situation, and they know how to take advantage of it. They're both quite injury prone, but if they can stay free from injury, then maybe Mourinho can get something out of this team by just focusing on the defensive structure.
Why would they want to air that? It’s obvious they only showed parts that didn’t relate to tactics he obviously did tell the players those things.

One part of the documentary it shows Jose telling the players how not to concede but after that he says something along the lines of “now then, how to score’ and the camera cuts

you really can’t make judgments on Jose lack of tactics just from this fake documentary soap

tomaldinho1

Exactly - I started off really enjoying the Spurs one but it's lost me now because it's essentially a PR stunt for Mou, Levy & Spurs in that order. Notice how much they overegg the idea that Levy essentially is always in the cafe and the editing is just too one sided - for it to be really interesting we want to see the losses in just as much detail as the wins. Levy's chats with Jose (always in the players cafe) are so cringeworthy you can even see it in Mou's face sometimes. My favourite line was Levy saying 'he must run a lot' about Winks.

If United did one of these it would be the exact same - Woodward & Judge would paint themselves as heroes and it would just be a big branding exercise with the odd glimpse into the dressing room.

I need to try the Sunderland one because that's apparently a lot more about the city and the club without all the frills.

saivet

Why would they want to air that? It’s obvious they only showed parts that didn’t relate to tactics he obviously did tell the players those things.

One part of the documentary it shows Jose telling the players how not to concede but after that he says something along the lines of “now then, how to score’ and the camera cuts

you really can’t make judgments on Jose lack of tactics just from this fake documentary soap
If I remember correctly, in the City documentary there was a fair bit of tactical briefs from Pep from an offensive perspective. It's a narrative that has followed Mourinho for some time that he works on defensive organisation and puts the emphasis on the attacking players to be creative rather than be coached specifically about their attacking patterns.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If I remember correctly, in the City documentary there was a fair bit of tactical briefs from Pep from an offensive perspective. It's a narrative that has followed Mourinho for some time that he works on defensive organisation and puts the emphasis on the attacking players to be creative rather than be coached specifically about their attacking patterns.
I agree with all of your post, I just think using this documentary effort to assess Jose attacking knowledge or lack of is a bit pointless

Acole9

Outstanding
I rate Dier as a player but he comes across as a bit of a numpty in this documentary.

Winks, Tanganga, Son and Lucas come across as top lads.

Neo_Mufc

I had my opinions on Levy but watching the way Vorm and Vertonghen got a sending off made me change my mind slightly especially considering when Rio recently in an interview described how he was let go by United and how Woodward handled it. Quite shameful.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

You've seen a fraction of him, while knowing he was being filmed. I wouldn't form any opinions on anyone based on that.