Spurs fans booed during/after 0-3 defeat. United fans silent after 0-5 defeat.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Top Reds have a MASSIVE hand in the position we've ended up in. And that INCLUDES match going fans.

They've got the lowest standards of our fanbase.
And internet reds have a MASSIVE hand in the toxicity among the entire fanbase

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I heard the plane and banner have been arranged for the City game. Fingers crossed.

Highfather_24

Hoping that your team gets battered will always be ridiculous, no matter what you think of the manager.
In a short term it may be bad, but not long term. A bad result will be forgotten soon, but if that leads to the club getting a top manager in, I'm willing to trade that. Its doing what's pragmatic for the greater good. Look at tottenham, now they will have Conte because they lost 3-0. Sometimes you gotta take a step back to go forward.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In a short term it may be bad, but not long term. A bad result will be forgotten soon, but if that leads to the club getting a top manager in, I'm willing to trade that. Its doing what's pragmatic for the greater good. Look at tottenham, now they will have Conte because they lost 3-0. Sometimes you gotta take a step back to go forward.
There’s a big difference I think between not minding if we lose provided we get necessary change, and actively wanting your team to lose to get it.

FatTails

We’re a massive club trying it’s best to be run like a small family business. From the amateurs we hire, to the nostalgia and sentimentality, to the low expectations throughout the club.

Shark

@NotShark
Not booing but wanting change aren't mutually exclusive
Without a doubt. Wanting your club to lose is bottom of the barrel, booing not far behind. However do I think fans should be singing the name of a manager that's out of his depth to the point that we're humiliated at home to our bitter rivals at home? feck no because no manger is bigger than the club just as no player is either.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

There’s a big difference I think between not minding if we lose provided we get necessary change, and actively wanting your team to lose to get it.
Considering the time sensitive nature of the situation, I dont think there's much difference. Its a distinction, without a difference. If people want to feel better and morally grandstand by saying "I wouldnt mind it if we lost" rather that outright admit that we need to, in order to make the glazers do something, its fine by me.We cant afford to dither and write off this season. Most of the fanbase knows Ole is done here, why pretend otherwise?

CallyRed

This thread has descended into
internet top reds v match going top reds

pascell

We were booed off at half time against Liverpool, by the end I think most were just numb from the feckery they'd witnessed.
It wasn't just small sections of fans booing either, it was the whole stadium and then people left.

Where the OP got the idea that we sat in silence is frankly laughable and offensive.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes he is a better fan:rolleyes:. It’s not a surprise for me that those who bring the location argument are the same die hard cultists. Logic doesn’t seem to be their strongest point. They don’t understand that without overseas fans they would support their team in the Championship.
First full season as a kid with my Dad was (old) Division.2. One of the (the?) biggest average attendances in the country and I loved it. Get the same feeling now as I walk to the ground as I did then... cult, religion, support, call it what you will.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's funny you mention the short term v the long term because Conte defines short term. Conte may well give Spurs (or us) a short term fix but it has its expiration date before you have to 'go again'

If you're looking for something long term Conte ain't the answer

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Without a doubt. Wanting your club to lose is bottom of the barrel, booing not far behind. However do I think fans should be singing the name of a manager that's out of his depth to the point that we're humiliated at home to our bitter rivals at home? feck so because no manger is bigger than the club just as no player is either.
There were few pro-Ole songs versus Liverpool and none after the first 15 minutes or so. Supporting Manchester United via vocal support is not necessarily a sign of endorsement for the manager. Everything towards the end of the second half was defiant classic Manchester United songs to try and drown out the Liverpool chanting.

Highfather_24

It's funny you mention the short term v the long term because Conte defines short term. Conte may well give Spurs (or us) a short term fix but it has its expiration date before you have to 'go again'

If you're looking for something long term Conte ain't the answer
In context of what I was saying : short term - 1match, long term - this season.

We have the squad to win things this season and next. 2-3 years is normal for managers nowadays. Anyway Spurs are getting him for a 1.5 year contract. Rather have Conte over Ole to properly coach this team and win things for the next year or so while we monitor long term succesors like Potter, Ten Hag, Enrique who are not available now.

Zlatanator

Liverpool did Ole a favour by not scoring a few more goals. If the score was 7-0 or more then there would have been an outcry...

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Liverpool did Ole a favour by not scoring a few more goals. If the score was 7-0 or more then there would have been an outcry...
Yeh fair point it went under the radar in the end that result.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Or just clap mindlessly to prove what amazing fans they are...
"Clap mindlessly" is doing them a disservice. Address their achievements correctly. I have it on good authority that it "was probably the loudest, most sustained United Calypso of the season."

Ole90+3

First full season as a kid with my Dad was (old) Division.2. One of the (the?) biggest average attendances in the country and I loved it. Get the same feeling now as I walk to the ground as I did then... cult, religion, support, call it what you will.
The club is nothing what it was like when you first started attending games. It’s owned by multi millionaire Americans who only care about their financial returns at the end of the year. The club hires unqualified coaches and overpaid man children to put on the shirt, the majority of which I truly believe couldn’t give 2 tosses about the results as long as they get their pay cheque.

Truth be told the Premier League has never been as hollow and devoid of true connection with the fan bases that fund them.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Top Reds had no problems with invading the pitch, going to Carrington or blocking roads but tak an issue with acknowledging the club becoming a parody sporting wise.

Gavinb33

Genuinely is weird though. I have a friend who is a season ticket holder with others and normally has tickets for me and we sit in the Stretford end. The last two matches the tension has been crazy but no one will say anything and my friend literally whispers about Ole not being good enough because its looked down upon. It's a weird and fake atmosphere.
Dont know where you are but where I sit/stand in W3102 it's pretty much an open discussion with all the regulars near me that Ole is not good enough.

One thing I'll say is this I'll never boo the team/manager at the stadium if that makes me a bad fan i dont know, i'll never want them to lose ever either for that matter.

I'll support anyone's right to boo though even though I wouldn't, but wanting the team to lose i can't abide those people

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I was at the 0-5 hammering and it certainly wasn't silent.

AndySmith1990

It's a cultural thing at United. Too many people care more about being perceived as proper fans, even to the detriment of our plight to be successful, which is somewhat ironic.

There are also weird individuals who can't separate personal criticism with professional criticism, and label any critism as "hating". It immediately destroys any constructive discussion and brings everything down to playground name calling.

Basically there's lots of unusual physiological issues on show and as a fan base we're as hopeless as the people who run our club. It's sad because if everyone was aligned and focused on succeeding we could be amongst the best in the world, up there with Real Madrid and Bayern. We have the fan base and the revenue to achieve whatever we want. But what can you do when the manager is bigger than the club and underperformance is tolerated.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
The match going fans who sing in every match, you can call them Top of Top Reds because their point of view have been affected by the 15-25 years of Sir Alex period that they experienced.
The anonymous Top Reds on RedCafe however are the incarnation of Oblivion Guard NPCs. "Do you support Ole? no? THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!!!!"

KeanoMagicHat

And look where Spurs's toxic support has got them... no trophies in the last 10 years.

Nothing wrong with being respectful, just because one team goes low doesn't mean we should. It's also completely different booing an outsider (Santo) to a club legend (Ole).

RUCK4444

We weren't silent. Was probably the loudest, most sustained United Calypso of the season in the last 10 minutes of the 0-5. Thankfully the Stretford End and singing section is well populated in recent seasons. Good sustained atmosphere and a critical mass of unfickle fans who support the team without entitlement. If United lose to City at the weekend, it sure as hell won't be down to a lack of vocal support and fans not attending with the intention of playing their role in loudly supporting their team.

By all means, get on the fecking ferry, paint your bed sheets and have a tantrum in the stands.
:lol:

predator

Youth NITK
I see both sides to the argument.

I do think the OT crowd as a whole are hesitant in booing a club legend like Ole. Afterall he is a club legend whereas Nuno had no affiliation to Spurs. Would booing Ole after the Liverpool defeat like spurs did to Nuno have made them pull the trigger and sack him? Possibly.

This may sound odd but when I go to OT I feel like what happens in the stadium is more important than anything outside of it. In other words whatever the atmosphere is like within the ground gets reflected by the club afterwards. For instance the players always mention the fans support, as does the social media accounts which is broadcasted to millions.
You never hear the players say the twitter support was phenomenal and the players couldn't have done it without them.
So maybe the lack of booing does give Ole and the board a false sense of reality.

I'm not sure where I stand to be honest but one thing I will say is...

- Having a pop at match going fans is pathetic. Like I said above, the players will tell you just how much the support helps them. Many great wins and successes in our clubs history have been spurred on by the fans within the ground. Telling seventy thousand people who have paid money and bustled their way into the stadium in all conditions they are doing it wrong from the comfort of a keyboard is laughable.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Nuno sacked. Quick move to get Conte.

Ole survives to smile another day. United board Spurs’d it.

Maybe sometimes the match going fans need to let their disgruntled voices be heard?

Next up, home to City...
I get the anger, the angst and upset that's taken over the caf since the Liverpool game, but comparing United's situation to Tottenham's is ridiculous and having a pop at match going fans is even worse.

I'm not even a United fan, but I'm pretty sure your team were booed during that game, you could hear it on the TV. The myth that match going fans just sing Ole's name and support managers regardless is just not true you can tell that just by listening to the crowd when United are on TV (and United are always on TV! sorry that's a different gripe!)

As for Tottenham Levi promised them free flowing attacking football when Jose was sacked and then after the most embarrasing manager search that anyone anywhere has ever witnessed, Levi bought in a negative, counter punch manager, completely going against what he had promised. Levi also seems to have fecked up the whole Kane situation, I'm not surprised fans are feeling toxic.

At least with Ole he has improved your team and whole atmosphere around the team from the Jose days. Is it good enough, probably not and it's fine to want him replaced, but it's not comparable to Spurs and certainly not the fault of the match going fans.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We were booed off at half time against Liverpool, by the end I think most were just numb from the feckery they'd witnessed.
Yeah this. There were loud boos at half time against pool, and against Atalanta. It’s not like the match going fans are scared to do it, but the manager being Ole is clearly having an effect too.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What does this mean ? George Best was from NI? Fergie was from Scotland?

You a bigger fan than both these? Jog on
Well it doesn’t mean Birthplace: N. Ireland.

Read the thread. I’m sure you will cotton what the dividing line is – and it isn’t place of birth or nationality.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Well it doesn’t mean Birthplace: N. Ireland.
What an incredibly childish and simple opinion to hold while posting on this message board which was built by an Irish Man Utd fan, and is moderated by mostly Irish fans.

mancan92

Dont know where you are but where I sit/stand in W3102 it's pretty much an open discussion with all the regulars near me that Ole is not good enough.

One thing I'll say is this I'll never boo the team/manager at the stadium if that makes me a bad fan i dont know, i'll never want them to lose ever either for that matter.

I'll support anyone's right to boo though even though I wouldn't, but wanting the team to lose i can't abide those people

W210

We all sang our hearts out for the full 90 and was actually bouncing for the last 20 to be honest whilst the rest of the stadium emptied. But in terms of talking about Ole there wasn't much of it. More the effort of the players and tactics.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What an incredibly childish and simple opinion to hold while posting on this message board which was built by an Irish Man Utd fan, and is moderated by mostly Irish fans.
Sorry, what opinion do you think I hold?

I don’t have a problem with anyone supporting United, regardless of where they were born or what their nationality is. You are being deliberately obtuse.

The OP’s location could have been anywhere that betrayed the fact that he isn’t a regular at Old Trafford and is a complete cretin for insinuating that the more local, regular match-going fans, who generate great atmospheres, are in any way a negative for Manchester United.

Dan_F

Agree with all of this. I was in E331 and the last 20 minutes I didn’t really hear the Liverpool fans. People can criticise it if they want, but I’m so glad it was that way and not like Spurs yesterday.

To me, Spurs fans came across as proper entitled. 17 games in with a new manager, star striker wants out (not his fault) and they’re 3 points from top four (they aren’t a top four club anyway).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I see both sides to the argument.

I do think the OT crowd as a whole are hesitant in booing a club legend like Ole. Afterall he is a club legend whereas Nuno had no affiliation to Spurs. Would booing Ole after the Liverpool defeat like spurs did to Nuno have made them pull the trigger and sack him? Possibly.

This may sound odd but when I go to OT I feel like what happens in the stadium is more important than anything outside of it. In other words whatever the atmosphere is like within the ground gets reflected by the club afterwards. For instance the players always mention the fans support, as does the social media accounts which is broadcasted to millions.
You never hear the players say the twitter support was phenomenal and the players couldn't have done it without them.
So maybe the lack of booing does give Ole and the board a false sense of reality.

I'm not sure where I stand to be honest but one thing I will say is...

- Having a pop at match going fans is pathetic. Like I said above, the players will tell you just how much the support helps them. Many great wins and successes in our clubs history have been spurred on by the fans within the ground. Telling seventy thousand people who have paid money and bustled their way into the stadium in all conditions they are doing it wrong from the comfort of a keyboard is laughable.
That last part is as if match going united support are some sort of voluntary freedom fighters serving in the line of duty. Talk about laughable.

Fans going to game are the most privileged bunch of united fans. There are die hard supports who will never get to see a game due to logistics and expenses. Every person has a right to say whatever they want.

Ixion

I think there is a slight disconnect in fan's minds between Ole and the Glazers compared to Spurs fans wanting Levy's head. They were singing about Levy and booing him and I think a lot of Spurs fans feel some sympathy for Nuno despite wanting him gone. United fans can see Ole is out of depth and don't want to boo a club legend, they would happily boo the Glazers but the performance against Liverpool was because of Solskjaer's management.

Also trying to shame a United fan for living in Northern Ireland, go feck yourself. United's Irish fans are amazing.