Spurs officially departed tonight

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was similar to the Ajax home tie last season I thought.

Spurs probably won't have Son for the second leg though, his absence tonight was huge blow.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Was similar to the Ajax home tie last season I thought.

Spurs probably won't have Son for the second leg though, his absence tonight was huge blow.
I think they are really missing Sissoko, their midfield is trash tier without him. Winks and Lo Celso, Jose is having a laugh. Way too light weight to win the midfield battle. And of course Son and Kane out for the rest of the season. They just lost 1-0 at home, Leipzeig going to do them over in Germany.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Poor first half by Spurs, quite decent 2nd half with some good last 20 minutes, but they were outplayed most of the time.

The penalty was a stonewall one, but poor judgement from Davies. The ball was bouncing, Leipzig player couldn't make a clean shot, he would just need to block the ball path without using his feet.

Still don't know why so many people think Leipzig manager is some sort of new genius: despite having more possession Leipzig attacking patterns were clumsy, over-reliable on pace and expecting some magic from Werner vision and his clever off-ball movement, since he's very good setting up give and go quick plays.

fps

Lo Celso again looked good, Sissoko was a miss, Ndombele is starting to bed in and looked good when he came on. Alli is an overrated player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Lo Celso again looked good, Sissoko was a miss, Ndombele is starting to bed in and looked good when he came on. Alli is an overrated player.
This was a game where Ali was the key for Spurs to have some control on the midfield and tooth upfront. His positioning made sure he was never on the decisions area while defending and he offered little when attacking.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Asking the Spurs fans on here - how good is Troy Parrott? And is he definitely not ready?

Pretty amazing that Spurs didn't sign a striker in the January window.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Asking the Spurs fans on here - how good is Troy Parrott? And is he definitely not ready?

Pretty amazing that Spurs didn't sign a striker in the January window.
I was blown away they splashed some cash on a winger. Hell I think someone like a Pukki could of done a job up top for them in Kane' absence. Sure not the marquee signing the Spurs fanboys would want. But you are not going to get that in the January window.

Now they have 4'2 Moura up top or Bergwyn who is a winger. That squad without Kane/Son/Sissoko looks genuine mid table stuff.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Sure, I bet Norwich would have sold him for a reasonable fee too :rolleyes:
Norwich are going down, Pukki is 29-30. Even an inflated price would not have been exorbitant. And it's the January window, all prices are going to be inflated, you either pay the price or play half a season without a striker.

This is our world every transfer window, price for player 40mil. Wait, it's Manchester United, make that 60mil.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Norwich are going down, Pukki is 29-30. Even an inflated price would not have been exorbitant. And it's the January window, all prices are going to be inflated, you either pay the price or play half a season without a striker.
No he isn't. Norwich aren't going to sell their star striker for less than £60m in a scenario where the best United can get is an ex-Watford striker on Cavani wages.
For further, see:
https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...ited-transfer-deadline-day-interest-1-6493012

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They should have brought in Rondon like United did with Ighalo. They needed a proper backup CF even before Kane’s injury, and he is injured at least once every season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

cjj

Supports
Spurs
They should have brought in Rondon like United did with Ighalo. They needed a proper backup CF even before Kane’s injury, and he is injured at least once every season.
Tbf Kane's injury was basically due to Pochettino's training basically crocking most players over a 4 or 5 year period (few have survived), and his insistence on never resting him. At one point we had Llorente, Son, Janssen and others who could play in that position, and yet as soon as Kane was half fit he was thrown in. It's pretty much the reason why we didn't have a backup, as Poch didn't seem to want or have any desire to use one unless he absolutely had to.

I suspect Mourinho's got a certain amount to use now or in the summer, where there will be better value for money, and expected Son to patch up between then. Freak injuries have scuppered that.

tomaldinho1

Ighalo earns £100k a week.

Pretty sure Cavani would have wanted 3 times that ordinarily. 5 times that as a stop gap 6 month signing.
Yep - was reported PSG wanted a EUR20m fee and he was asking for £360k p/w. Even if that's slightly inflated, the poster who compared Ighalo to Cavani has a screw loose.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Ighalo earns £100k a week.

Pretty sure Cavani would have wanted 3 times that ordinarily. 5 times that as a stop gap 6 month signing.
He earns £300k - Man United are not necessarily covering all of it, but that's what he earns and I suspect his contract is such that the chinese club make up the rest.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Yep - was reported PSG wanted a EUR20m fee and he was asking for £360k p/w. Even if that's slightly inflated, the poster who compared Ighalo to Cavani has a screw loose.
See above for screw tightening procedure.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He earns £300k - Man United are not necessarily covering all of it, but that's what he earns and I suspect his contract is such that the chinese club make up the rest.
So United don’t pay him Cavani wages? So it was daft to bring up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
His chinese club pays the rest. AT MUFC he earns £100k. All former "star" players that went to China earn fantasy money.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
So United don’t pay him Cavani wages? So it was daft to bring up.
Except I didn't say that. I said "an ex-Watford striker on Cavani wages.".

He was brought in by United, is still an ex-Watford striker, and he's still on Cavani wages.

His chinese club pays the rest. AT MUFC he earns £100k. All former "star" players that went to China earn fantasy money.
£165k is the reported figure. There are few clubs who are willing/able to pay players well below their standard wages that are no doubt more than most of their key players are paid, and it's a big risk to player morale. Every window there's a commodity position, and this window it was strikers. You only have to look at who went begging and the types of player Barca and United have gone for in that position.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Tbf Kane's injury was basically due to Pochettino's training basically crocking most players over a 4 or 5 year period (few have survived), and his insistence on never resting him. At one point we had Llorente, Son, Janssen and others who could play in that position, and yet as soon as Kane was half fit he was thrown in. It's pretty much the reason why we didn't have a backup, as Poch didn't seem to want or have any desire to use one unless he absolutely had to.

I suspect Mourinho's got a certain amount to use now or in the summer, where there will be better value for money, and expected Son to patch up between then. Freak injuries have scuppered that.
Im not saying it isn’t the managers responsibility, but Kane is goal hungry and am sure put pressure on to get back in the side and get scoring again. But you are right, the manager needs to make a stand and be firm to protect players like that from themselves.

If you look at this injury history, he is almost guaranteed an injury per season though, and his ankle has been a persistent problem in the past.

I think he needs to be very careful or he could lose his mobility and become very slow and cumbersome with his movement. As we have seen só often in the past, it can happen far earlier than expected with some players, especially those who don’t look after their bodies.

In any case, another CF would be good for not just the team, but for Kane himself. At the moment, just putting Son higher up the pitch only deprives the team of him in his natural position. He can do it, but why not keep him where he normally plays and have a good CF to slot in?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Im not saying it isn’t the managers responsibility, but Kane is goal hungry and am sure put pressure on to get back in the side and get scoring again. But you are right, the manager needs to make a stand and be firm to protect players like that from themselves.

If you look at this injury history, he is almost guaranteed an injury per season though, and his ankle has been a persistent problem in the past.

I think he needs to be very careful or he could lose his mobility and become very slow and cumbersome with his movement. As we have seen só often in the past, it can happen far earlier than expected with some players, especially those who don’t look after their bodies.

In any case, another CF would be good for not just the team, but for Kane himself. At the moment, just putting Son higher up the pitch only deprives the team of him in his natural position. He can do it, but why not keep him where he normally plays and have a good CF to slot in?
Pochettino went from being quite ruthless to being a bit of a wet lettuce over his tenure, and his diary/book is full of references to "trust" in players. I don't think he had the 'cojones' to tell Kane not to go flying into half chances against lower league teams, or in the 90th minute when the team is 2-up, but someone needs to. He's definitely lost mobility over the years and is reverting to a "Rooney" role earlier than expected.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He was brought in by United, is still an ex-Watford striker, and he's still on Cavani wages.
Ahhhhh. Gotcha. Your original post was just pointless ‘factual’ information. Not commenting on anything specific or relevant to the topics of conversation.

Alabaster Codify7

They should've spent less money on stocking that bloody Cheese Room. Could have possibly brought in a striker on loan then, paying wages.

I'm telling you now, that Cheese Room is gonna be their downfall.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They should've spent less money on stocking that bloody Cheese Room. Could have possibly brought in a striker on loan then, paying wages.

I'm telling you now, that Cheese Room is gonna be their downfall.
I couldn't a-brie more, Mourinho needs to get it together otherwise he's gouda here!

Giggsyking

£165k is the reported figure.
There are few clubs who are willing/able to pay players well below their standard wages that are no doubt more than most of their key players are paid, and it's a big risk to player morale. Every window there's a commodity position, and this window it was strikers. You only have to look at who went begging and the types of player Barca and United have gone for in that position.
Ighalo wage in united 100K/week. Cavani's weekly wage is 350K/week.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
If they had just gone Norvegia instead they wouldn't be in this mess.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
No he isn't. Norwich aren't going to sell their star striker for less than £60m in a scenario where the best United can get is an ex-Watford striker on Cavani wages.
For further, see:
https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...ited-transfer-deadline-day-interest-1-6493012
Well according to Wikipedia/google he is, born 29 March 1990. Unless you have some kind of inside information that he is obfuscating his age. This link reeks of bollocks, I seriously doubt we tabled 100mil for Pukki. Maybe 50-60mil as a tester to see if they were interested in selling.

You are right in the fact Norwich may simply say no, no matter the price, just like Villa did with Grealish. Then you move on and look at other options, hell Llorente could of done a job up top and from the bench for you. I think just about any striker would be better than Moura or Bergwyn up top who are both wingers/wide forwards, not target men.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cascarino in the Times was really laying into Ndombele today. Said he simply dosen't have intensity or passing ability to play in this league, compared him to Bakayoko at Chelsea who when I watched him for Monaco in 16/17 had clear passing flaws.

I did think he looked good in Audi cup and in early prem games so surprised he still hasn't even become a regular starter like Lo Celso is starting to now. Type of central midfield Mourinho usually swears by.

TheReligion

Abusive

£165k is the reported figure. There are few clubs who are willing/able to pay players well below their standard wages that are no doubt more than most of their key players are paid, and it's a big risk to player morale. Every window there's a commodity position, and this window it was strikers. You only have to look at who went begging and the types of player Barca and United have gone for in that position.
What point are you trying to make here? Spurs did the best they could in the window?

United were fortunate with Ighalo as he was willing to take a huge pay cut to join the club given he's a boyhood fan. He's being paid 100k by United and whatever else by his parent club but he's taken a pay cut in order to make it happen. That's why the deal went through. I assume Spurs couldn't afford the other options available, to either buy or loan, hence them doing no late business.