"Spying" on another team's training sessions...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Bielsa has admitted sending a staff member to spy on Derby's training session. Says he's done it before and as far as he is concerned there's no problem.

Frank Lampard has said that this not only disrupted them (they had to cease training when the police removed the spy) but also it's unfair that Leeds know the formation and lineup they've been using over the past few sessions.

What does the Caf think? Not technically against any rules so fair enough or unsportsmanlike and should not be done?

I can't imagine Bielsa is the only manager ever to do this, anyone know of any other examples?

0le

This sort of thing will have been going on for decades. Its nothing new and whilst morally wrong, there is not a lot that can be done.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Bielsa has admitted sending a staff member to spy on Derby's training session. Says he's done it before and as far as he is concerned there's no problem.

Frank Lampard has said that this not only disrupted them (they had to cease training when the police removed the spy) but also it's unfair that Leeds know the formation and lineup they've been using over the past few sessions.

What does the Caf think? Not technically against any rules so fair enough or unsportsmanlike and should not be done?

I can't imagine Bielsa is the only manager ever to do this, anyone know of any other examples?
"It's true there was someone from Leeds United," Bielsa told Sky Sports.
"The responsibility for this lies with me. I'm responsible.
"It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal, or right or wrong. For me it's enough that Frank Lampard and Derby County feel it was not the right thing to do and that I didn't behave well."
Think Poch was asked about it earlier today too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Most clubs don't do it in such a small time manner, but what can you expect from Leeds. Usually clubs get fed info from journalists who have their own ways of getting this info.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Lampard used the term "hiding in a bush"!! When the cops arrived he was outside the training ground.

Well said by Lampard I guess.

They should've just beaten the spy to a pulp and cut his fingers off to send the right message to Bielsa imo.

Nico87

How does the "spy" get into a position where he can spy, surely there must have been a law broken to get himself into that position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lampard was spot on. Unsure why Bielsa thinks it's OK to get an unfair advantage like that.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Realistically how much difference can spying make. Teams usually cycle through their different setups through the season and unless there's a week in between games there's little value in doing anything dramatically different tactically because players won't pick it up.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If Derby were stupid enough to allow it then that’s on them. Why not try everything you can to gain an advantage? I’d be all for us spying on Spurs if it meant winning the game.

duffer

Scout
Realistically how much difference can spying make. Teams usually cycle through their different setups through the season and unless there's a week in between games there's little value in doing anything dramatically different tactically because players won't pick it up.
If you knew for sure that Harry Kane had not trained in any sessions over the past week and Spurs were going with Llorente up front, it would give you an advantage. Not a massive one of course it certainly helps.

duffer

Scout
If Derby were stupid enough to allow it then that’s on them. Why not try everything you can to gain an advantage? I’d be all for us spying on Spurs if it meant winning the game.
Stupid enough? Someone was hiding in a bush! Do you really expect a Championship side to have security guards patrolling their training ground?

ArmchairCritic

If you knew for sure that Harry Kane had not trained in any sessions over the past week and Spurs were going with Llorente up front, it would give you an advantage. Not a massive one of course it certainly helps.
It would be more of a boost for the team to find out before the game.

ArmchairCritic

The would be finding out before the game!
Seeing it on the team sheet on the day vs. knowing a week ahead and creating pressure on yourself to not concede against the not-so-good striker.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Just assumed it would be standard that you stick a few drones over the opposition training sessions and have somebody compiling a report... Just like sending people to their matches

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Stupid enough? Someone was hiding in a bush! Do you really expect a Championship side to have security guards patrolling their training ground?
You make it sound like a Championship club doesn’t have the money to have a couple of security guards that they’d have currently employed anyway to patrol the training ground when they are working? It’s not unimaginable in any way shape or form.

ArmchairCritic

The manager would rather have a week to plan, which is why the spying goes on.
Considering the last few managers we've had who seemed to do nothing but plan for what the opposition were going to do perhaps you can understand my scepticism for how valuable this is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought this type of spying was pretty normal, not sure what all the fuss is about

duffer

Scout
Considering the last few managers we've had who seemed to do nothing but plan for what the opposition were going to do perhaps you can understand my scepticism for how valuable this is.
Yeah, I don't know that it makes a massive impact. Kinda like starting 2 seconds before everyone else in an olympic marathon. might not make a huge difference to the result but still shitty.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I love these kind of stories, even if Lampard is right at being furious.

How is he doing as a manager? I always had him down as the most likely to succeed in management of the England players from the last decade. Is he up to bigger things?

Coxy

Blame the victim eh? I live just round the corner from the training ground - I cycle by it every day to work.

They have security on the gates but I never see security walking round. To be fair though there’s no need - tall trees / fencing all around so you can’t see the main pitch - just the ones the kids tend to use.

I’m not surprised this guy was caught though - the training ground is surrounded by housing / open fields so it’s easy to spot someone

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's not right... Can't be getting shit spies doing this sort of thing.

Should be in and out without so much as a sniff