Squad for next Season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Everyone is open for a bid in my opinion. Everyone. No one should be considered safe after their performances this season

Olecurls99

De Gea
Dalot Varane Tuanzebe Shaw
Mctominay
Hannibal Donny
Diallo Sancho
Ronaldo

That team is good enough to challenge for top 4 and play good ball.

De Gea needs to be dragged off his line. Dalot needs to be coached how to defend, but I think it's easier to coach him defending than trying to coach Bissaka how to play ball. That ship has sailed.
Shaw and Varane can be top level and Tuanzebe has what we need from a centre back. Pace in spades.
I have reservations about the midfield of course but Mctominay can be kept until we find a proper defensive mid and Donny and Hannibal look like the best fits for keeping the ball and moving it up the pitch properly. Donny has never had a fair go and Hannibal looks like a good technical player.
Sancho can be top level and until we sign a top right sided player I'd see what Diallo can do. He looked good in the few occasions I saw him. Ronny should see more chances in that team.

I'd keep the below as backup
Henderson
Laird Lindelof Jones Bailly(Need 5 because how injury prone a lot of them are) Williams
Fred
Bruno(form has fallen off a cliff) Garner
Elanga Rashford(Not up to it now he's lost pace)
Martial(Had 1 really good season at CF, See if we can get him back on board)

justsomebloke

What will our squad look like, going into next season?

Things are bad. There is almost certain to be a mass exodus of players leaving this summer for various reasons. Rangnick has publicly stated we might need as many as 10 new players - and I dont think many would disagree.

Still, we have youth prospects and we have players out on loan who might be able to return and make up some numbers. There is also an acknowledgement that this rebuild is going to take a lot longer than one or two transfer windows. This will be a long term thing and we cannot hope to fix all our problems this summer.

So between departing players, new arrivals, youth promotions and loanees, roughly what do you think the 25-man first team squad will look like after the summer transfer window?

I think we will bring back/keep Williams, Amad, Donny and Pellistri. I also think that from the academy we could see more of Garner, Shoretire, Elanga, Hannibal and maybe on or two others.
I dont really have a clue about who we might go for in the transfer window, or how many players we will sign, but I can imagine going into next season something like this (being realistic);

-------------------------Henderson
AWB ------- Varane ---------------- Maguire --------- New LB
---------------------------New DM
---------------McT/Fred ------------ Bruno--------------------
Sancho -------------------------------------------- Elanga
--------------------------New ST-------------------------------

Bench: DDG, Shaw, Lindelof, McT/Fred, Donny, Amad, Rashford
Others in the squad: Williams, Garner, Shoretire, Hannibal, Pellistri

Obviously the above is far from perfect but again, we arent going to be able to fully replace 10 players and rebuild the entire squad in one transfer window.
Why would they prioritise a new LB over a new RB? AWB is much, much more obviously insufficient (given EtHs style of play) than Luke Shaw is.

justsomebloke

De Gea
Mctominay
Hannibal Donny
Diallo Sancho
Ronaldo

De Gea needs to be dragged off his line. Dalot needs to be coached how to defend, but I think it's easier to coach him defending than trying to coach Bissaka how to play ball. That ship has sailed.
Shaw and Varane can be top level and Tuanzebe has what we need from a centre back. Pace in spades.
I have reservations about the midfield of course but Mctominay can be kept until we find a proper defensive mid and Donny and Hannibal look like the best fits for keeping the ball and moving it up the pitch properly. Donny has never had a fair go and Hannibal looks like a good technical player.
Sancho can be top level and until we sign a top right sided player I'd see what Diallo can do. He looked good in the few occasions I saw him. Ronny should see more chances in that team.

Henderson
Laird Lindelof Jones Bailly(Need 5 because how injury prone a lot of them are) Williams
Fred
Way over the top concerning Bruno. He may have tailed off, but he's tailed off from the level of being a dominant PL star to merely being okay to very good. Even this season, he's among the league leaders in chances created. He is self-evident in any United XI, and if you think it's even a remote issue to consider players like Mejbri (or any other midfielder in the squad) ahead of him, you need new glasses mate.

red_de_pologne

De Gea
Mctominay
Hannibal Donny
Diallo Sancho
Ronaldo

Henderson
Fred
That team would finish 12th

Von Mistelroum

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll have a very, very similar squad to this season. It'll be a matter of integrating a couple of youth players and trying to get a formation and team out of that which can challenge for top 4 in theory.

Elcabron

So long as we buy two quality midfielders and a right back. If that doesn't happen we are fecked. Yes other areas are in need but not to the extent those three positions are.

Sick and tired of seeing every single team in the PL dominate our midfield, no wonder our central defence looks dire. Dalot is a car crash of a right back defending and barely acceptable when attacking, it's the other way around with AVB, both should be sold and replaced with a competent right back.

Bestietom

Ideally

GK: De gea, Heaton, *new young gk

FB: AWB, Dalot, Laird, *new fb1, *new fb2

CB: Maguire (hes not realistically leaving), Varane, Lindelof, *new cb1, *new cb2

CM: Mct, Fred, Bruno, Garner, Hannibal, *new cm1, *new cm2

Wings: Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Elanga, *new winger 1, *new winger 2

CF: *new cf1, *new cf2, ronaldo if he stays

11 signings in the summer is unrealistic so I would take 1 cb, 1 rb, 2 cm, 1 winger and 1 striker if ronaldo stays
6 signings would be about right for first window. But if Ronaldo goes I would like to see both Nunez and Nkunku signed

roy'skeen

We know some obvious departures: Pogba, Matic, Mata, Lingard, Cavani.

Ideal departures (though in reality, most of these guys won't leave): Wan-Bissaka, Telles, Dalot, Bailly, Jones, one of Maguire or Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Pereira, Martial, Chong. If I was a gambling man, I'd say one of the RBs, Bailly, Jones, Pereira and Chong may go in this window, the others over the next season.

I'd add Henderson and Van Der Beek in that mix - I don't think they'll make it here.

So, the ideal probably won't happen just yet but I'd expect the squad to be:

GK: De Gea, Henderson, Heaton (if an EPL side offers silly money for Henderson, sell)
DF: one of the RBs, Shaw, Williams, Maguire, Lindelof, Varane
MF: Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Mejbri, Garner, Van Der Beek, Elanga, Sancho, one of Pellistri or Diallo perhaps
FW: Ronaldo, Rashford, Martial

Other guys will be loaned out who I've not factored in.

Max. of five players coming in. A RB, maybe a CB, one CM, one wide midfielder and a striker

Cabin Clown

We need a new CB, LB, RB, CDM, CM, and and a forward.

Maguire not suited. Need a more mobile CB. He may still yet have a role to play at the club going forward but after this season his confidence is shot to pieces and we need a reaction next season.
Telles, Dalot, Wan-B are limited positionally and going forward. Can't rely on Shaw.
McTominay is anonymous. Need a CDM to possibly partner Fred. Being able to tackle and string a pass would be nice.
I think Eriksen can fill the void of CM and we can get him on a free. Win-win.
If Leeds go down maybe look at Raphinha. We need a player who can put in a dangerous cross. We kind of lost that with Greenwood's absence.

justsomebloke

So long as we buy two quality midfielders and a right back. If that doesn't happen we are fecked. Yes other areas are in need but not to the extent those three positions are.

Sick and tired of seeing every single team in the PL dominate our midfield, no wonder our central defence looks dire. Dalot is a car crash of a right back defending and barely acceptable when attacking, it's the other way around with AVB, both should be sold and replaced with a competent right back.
I think it should be more 1 quality central midfielder (an anchor), but then we'll need to prioritise a winger (we currently have three, for two slots), and a striker (unless we're going to keep Martial around). Ideally, two good players with the versatility to play in several positions, I guess. An RB upgrade is also sorely needed, but there at least we have some depth, which we don't up front. If we assume that Donny will be a factor under a coach who clearly knows how to use him best, then perhaps two midfielders won't be necessary. Also, there may be a possibility Garner or Mejbri could step up.

Olecurls99

Way over the top concerning Bruno. He may have tailed off, but he's tailed off from the level of being a dominant PL star to merely being okay to very good. Even this season, he's among the league leaders in chances created. He is self-evident in any United XI, and if you think it's even a remote issue to consider players like Mejbri (or any other midfielder in the squad) ahead of him, you need new glasses mate.
Constantly loses the ball for me. He is death to fluid football

justsomebloke

Constantly loses the ball for me. He is death to fluid football
Yeah well, even if he's not your flavour of player, he is by any reasonable standard by far our best central midfielder, with a firmly established record as an elite Premier League player. You play him, or you sell him. To argue he should be a squad player is just absurd.

Tavern in the town

Slightly unpopular opinion given how obviously we need bodies in midfield. But I feel it’s got to the point where the attach is a bigger priority.

We haven’t scored 70 league goals a single time since Fergie retired. Not once. Even Leicester managed it one. City have managed it every season. Liverpool will make it 7 times this season. There have been thousands of words written about what our biggest issue has been over the last decade but in reality we simply don’t score enough goals. None of Sancho/Ronaldo/Rashford (which on paper is our best front 3) would start for City, Liverpool, PSG, Bayern or Madrid. You’d probably say Ronaldo alone starts for Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona. We are so behind the top teams in this aspect and it’s the most important area of a football pitch.

JakeTheRed

De Gea
Mctominay
Hannibal Donny
Diallo Sancho
Ronaldo

I want whatever you've been smoking.

Promoting Tuanzebe to first team starter, keeping Scott as a starter, bringing in Hannibal as a starter who has played 1 game for us and got a yellow card but 'showed some passion', bringing in Donny as a first team starter because "hEs wOrKeD wItH tEn hAaG bEfOrE" & Diallo, who doesn't even start for Rangers.

:confused:

laughtersassassin

What will our squad look like, going into next season?

Things are bad. There is almost certain to be a mass exodus of players leaving this summer for various reasons. Rangnick has publicly stated we might need as many as 10 new players - and I dont think many would disagree.

Still, we have youth prospects and we have players out on loan who might be able to return and make up some numbers. There is also an acknowledgement that this rebuild is going to take a lot longer than one or two transfer windows. This will be a long term thing and we cannot hope to fix all our problems this summer.

So between departing players, new arrivals, youth promotions and loanees, roughly what do you think the 25-man first team squad will look like after the summer transfer window?

I think we will bring back/keep Williams, Amad, Donny and Pellistri. I also think that from the academy we could see more of Garner, Shoretire, Elanga, Hannibal and maybe on or two others.
I dont really have a clue about who we might go for in the transfer window, or how many players we will sign, but I can imagine going into next season something like this (being realistic);

-------------------------Henderson
AWB ------- Varane ---------------- Maguire --------- New LB
---------------------------New DM
---------------McT/Fred ------------ Bruno--------------------
Sancho -------------------------------------------- Elanga
--------------------------New ST-------------------------------

Bench: DDG, Shaw, Lindelof, McT/Fred, Donny, Amad, Rashford
Others in the squad: Williams, Garner, Shoretire, Hannibal, Pellistri

Obviously the above is far from perfect but again, we arent going to be able to fully replace 10 players and rebuild the entire squad in one transfer window.
That is an absolutely horrible team. We may aswell fire ETH before he starts if that's what we give him

MUFC OK

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll have a very, very similar squad to this season. It'll be a matter of integrating a couple of youth players and trying to get a formation and team out of that which can challenge for top 4 in theory.
I get what you’re saying, the door seems to be shutting on many of the viable options already. I’d be amazed if we sign 3 starters.

rbdoconnor

I would sign kamara, nkunku, nunez, pau torres, new rb and an elite cm (de jong, touchameni or rice)

De Gea
New Rb Varane Torres Shaw
Fernandes De Jong Fred
Nkunku Ronaldo/Nunez Sancho

Keep Rashford as back up, sell martial, jones etc.

Banat

-----------------------DDG------------------------
new RB-----Varane--Maguire---------Shaw
-------------new DM-----DVB-----------------
new RM-----------Bruno------------Sancho
----------------------Ronaldo-----------------------

I'm almost certain this will be our starting lineup. I don't know about names though, if I had to guess, probably Antony for RM and maybe Nunez for CF position if Ronaldo leaves.
We will sign few squad players as well.
Not thad bad, I would definitely upgrade on Maguire but can't see it honestly (at least this season).

TheReligion

Abusive
-----------------------DDG------------------------
new RB-----Varane--Maguire---------Shaw
-------------new DM-----DVB-----------------
new RM-----------Bruno------------Sancho
----------------------Ronaldo-----------------------

I'm almost certain this will be our starting lineup. I don't know about names though, if I had to guess, probably Antony for RM and maybe Nunez for CF position if Ronaldo leaves.
We will sign few squad players as well.
Not thad bad, I would definitely upgrade on Maguire but can't see it honestly (at least this season).
I think Fred has a good chance of being in that mix but I do agree we will get a new CM, likely two.

diarm

I'd like to see Ten Hag try Bruno in a wide right role, similar to how Ziyech used to play at Ajax. Then we could use Donny or Hannibal as the more advanced of the midfield 3 where they would offer more support and stability to the midfield, helping to keep and use possession better while not losing out on Bruno's ability to create chances.

Bruno, Sancho and Ronaldo along with a new striker would give us plenty of quality in the front 3. Hopefully Ten Hag can get a tune out of Rashford and then we have Elanga, Shoretire, Amad, Pellistri and Martial as well.

The funds necessary to sign a striker and a right winger will be massive and we have glaring issues to be fixed at centre back, both fullback positions and in the midfield. Trying this might free up some cash elsewhere and being honest, move Bruno into an area of the field where his deficiencies can hurt us less.

Volksie316

Team will be very very similar to this season, but without the ones leaving obviously.

We will sign a max of 4 players I think and that will be that.

RB
CB
DM
CF

Even 4, is pushing it and it’s a very strong possibility we stay with our current fullbacks, which would be a disaster.

SparkedIntoLife

Sounds like Uniteds strategy this summer is spend upto £80m on a striker and then look for Midfield / Defensive players on a budget of £150m net

Most of the squad leaving are on free transfers, and we have little to sell off, so that leaves around £70m to create a midfield and better defence.

So in affect we are no different to last 2 seasons, which is sign striker(s) paper over cracks elsewhere and pray for luck.

Granted we do need strikers but the neglect in Midfield should have been solved years ago and yet, here we still are. Screwed.

Based on Rangnick’s quotes and press briefings, this does indeed sound correct.

It’s a tough one. We need a striker for certain. Depending on views of Ronaldo, we either need a first choice ST or a backup. Regardless, it’s a position we’re probably going to have to spend a lot on. Goal scorers cost huge money, typically. Arguably we need at least 2 attackers with Greenwood also unlikely to remain at the club - RW and ST. I very much doubt we’ll get 2 bargain, hidden gem types in these positions.

I like De Ketelaere for ST and guess he’d be 30m max. Ekitike would be fairly cheap. Both are huge risks though and we’d have to rely on Ronaldo being consistently fit and firing.

In terms of DM, the dream would be Tchouameni at 60m+ but, realistically, he’s probably gone past the level where we could attract him.

It’s much easier to find value in defensive positions. We could sign Kamara on a free for DM. No need to sign a CM in that case as his arrival would likely make Fernandes, VDB, Garner, Fred and McTominay perform better as he’s an actual DM.

There’s some full backs in the 20m range who could improve us immensely. CD is harder to buy for but I suspect we’ll keep Maguire until at least January and sell after hopefully a decent World Cup so a younger option like Timber who could bed in gently might be wise.

Point is, ST(/RW) probably needs most money spent on it because these positions are so hard to sign good value players for. As you said, though, we’re reaping the cost of years of poor decisions (and a couple of unexpected situations like Rashford’s malaise and Greenwood being ______).

DevilRed

Please for the love of feck just bring in some proper central midfielders. Ones that can actually pass the ball.

I swear it would make a world of difference to this team.

Maybe bring in a fullback/rightback while you're at it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Team will be very very similar to this season, but without the ones leaving obviously.

We will sign a max of 4 players I think and that will be that.

RB
CB
DM
CF

Even 4, is pushing it and it’s a very strong possibility we stay with our current fullbacks, which would be a disaster.
It's bizarre the certainty with which people are spouting this stuff and are almost ready to write off next season.

If ETH listens to Ralf or has watched a lot of our games, I'd say four is the absolute minimum number of players he brings in.
Personally I reckon 5-6, but some of our current squad will likely prove harder to move on than people would like.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
What's Welbecks contract position? if he was out of contract he could be a useful backup striker, he is no worse than Origi. I couldnt help but think of this after watching his team hammer us 4 nil.

Olecurls99

I want whatever you've been smoking.

Promoting Tuanzebe to first team starter, keeping Scott as a starter, bringing in Hannibal as a starter who has played 1 game for us and got a yellow card but 'showed some passion', bringing in Donny as a first team starter because "hEs wOrKeD wItH tEn hAaG bEfOrE" & Diallo, who doesn't even start for Rangers.

:confused:
Yep I think Tuanzebe is better than what we have. Are they so great?
I'd promote the others because they are technically better than what we have.
You have noticed the current team isn't exactly lighting it up yes?

RedAlert27

Two central midfielders have to be a priority especially if sticking with a 4-2-3-1 formation. McFred is an abomination in midfield. Equally important is a central defender to replace Maguire and Lindelof. Ten Hag must be seeing how easy we are to beat, physically weak and lacking leadership we are and prioritising tough ball winning players with high work rate.

It's such a difficult job for him as you can argue every position needs replacing eventually, and it'll take him maybe years to implement his own style, players, structure but in the mean time he has to find a formula with the current team and a few new additions that'll win him matches.

Olecurls99

Yeah well, even if he's not your flavour of player, he is by any reasonable standard by far our best central midfielder, with a firmly established record as an elite Premier League player. You play him, or you sell him. To argue he should be a squad player is just absurd.
Fair enough. Sell him. I don't rate him and I don't think there would be that many takers. He's too slow and too weak as far as I'm concerned and his passing varies wildly from sublime to ridiculous. Even simple passes he struggles with sometimes

JakeTheRed

Yes, I've noticed the current state of the team.

I just don't understand how you think that the team you suggested could compete for top 4. The players that you've mentioned have proved practically nothing. To throw all of them into our first 11 at once would be suicide. This isn't FIFA.

justsomebloke

Have you noticed how much playing time Tuanzebe has been getting at Villa and Napoli? He has precisely one start at Napoli - in which they lost 5-2 to Fiorentina. Does that suggest he's an improvement on other options? It may be that his potential and attributes appeal to ten Hag and he considers that something could be made of him, but right now he looks a lot like our 6th best CB, and is making a fairly compelling case he simply doesn't have the overall quality to be a good PL CB - much less a regular starter at a top club.

justsomebloke

Two central midfielders have to be a priority especially if sticking with a 4-2-3-1 formation. McFred is an abomination in midfield. Equally important is a central defender to replace Maguire and Lindelof. Ten Hag must be seeing how easy we are to beat, physically weak and lacking leadership we are and prioritising tough ball winning players with high work rate.

It's such a difficult job for him as you can argue every position needs replacing eventually, and it'll take him maybe years to implement his own style, players, structure but in the mean time he has to find a formula with the current team and a few new additions that'll win him matches.
Players available for the attacking 3 positions: Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga. Assuming Greenwood isn't miraculously cleared of all charges, Martial isn't retained in the face of 2 seasons of woeful underperformance and a firm intention to leave and Diallo is as ready for a regular role at Man Utd as he's been at Rangers. There is surely no way you can go into a new season with that, and in my opinion that's got to take precedence over a second midfield acquisition and most certainly over an upgrade at CB.

List of priorities as I see it:

1. Midfield anchor
2. Forward
3. Forward
4. RB
5. Central midfielder
6. CB

(Although it all depends on who EtH sees as viable parts and who he doesn't, which I think is hard to predict)

RedAlert27

Players available for the attacking 3 positions: Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga. Assuming Greenwood isn't miraculously cleared of all charges, Martial isn't retained in the face of 2 seasons of woeful underperformance and a firm intention to leave and Diallo is as ready for a regular role at Man Utd as he's been at Rangers. There is surely no way you can go into a new season with that, and in my opinion that's got to take precedence over a second midfield acquisition and most certainly over an upgrade at CB.

List of priorities as I see it:

1. Midfield anchor
2. Forward
3. Forward
4. RB
5. Central midfielder
6. CB

(Although it all depends on who EtH sees as viable parts and who he doesn't, which I think is hard to predict)
To be honest you can make a fair point about prioritising any position given the squad we have. I want 2 CMS as the only ones we will have is McFred. Possibly Garner if he pushes through and VDB if he stays. Teams are literally walking through our midfield and defence. This being said I don't particularly mind which positions are being filled as long as the incoming players have an hard work ethic and are capable of intercepting and tackling.