Squad for next Season

Olecurls99

That should be a bannable offence.
The best technical players we have right now. I imagine that would be the team Pep would play given the options we have
Have you noticed how much playing time Tuanzebe has been getting at Villa and Napoli? He has precisely one start at Napoli - in which they lost 5-2 to Fiorentina. Does that suggest he's an improvement on other options? It may be that his potential and attributes appeal to ten Hag and he considers that something could be made of him, but right now he looks a lot like our 6th best CB
That's exactly where I'm coming from. He's a fast defender that suits a high pressing team. Remember how he handled Mbappe?
That was the thinking for my whole team. The club is in tatters. We've hired an Ajax manager. Surely we're going to play fluid, attacking quick passing football now, and will need technical players and fast defenders to implement it.
The players I picked are our technically best players. I think that team would at least keep the ball under pressure. That has to be our starting point. We've gone through so many years of being panicky in possesion with piss poor technical players. Hopefully we're getting an Ajax reboot

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If the teams being rolled out in this thread are what we are going into next season with, we're in big trouble and have aspirations of no more than 4th place.

NoPace

-----------------------DDG------------------------
new RB-----Varane--Maguire---------Shaw
-------------new DM-----DVB-----------------
new RM-----------Bruno------------Sancho
----------------------Ronaldo-----------------------

I'm almost certain this will be our starting lineup. I don't know about names though, if I had to guess, probably Antony for RM and maybe Nunez for CF position if Ronaldo leaves.
We will sign few squad players as well.
Not thad bad, I would definitely upgrade on Maguire but can't see it honestly (at least this season).
Would you bet the biggest job of your career on Harry Maguire? I wouldn't sleep.

choccy77

No matter how many of you try to come up with a team based on players we have (from main squad) the facts are our players are awful and a million miles from being title contenders.

Varane, Bruno, Ronaldo, De Gea (Sancho?) are the only ones you may keep right now as being good enough for a title challenging side.

The rest are bantha fodder.

So yes, we deffiently need at least 6-7 main players this summer.

Youth players for squad.

justsomebloke

No matter how many of you try to come up with a team based on players we have (from main squad) the facts are our players are awful and a million miles from being title contenders.

Varane, Bruno, Ronaldo, De Gea (Sancho?) are the only ones you may keep right now as being good enough for a title challenging side.

The rest are bantha fodder.

So yes, we deffiently need at least 6-7 main players this summer.

Youth players for squad.
Oh I don't know that you can really be as sure as that. You have a few players who's had a really bad season, but whose peak levels over the past couple of seasons suggest they might not be write-offs: Shaw, Maguire and Rashford. Can't rule them out, even if they're looking pretty miserable right now. Fred's not bad - and it's noteworthy that he has pretty consistently performed well when the team around him has managed to execute a structured game plan. He may well be someone who profits from having a new manager. Then there are players who's showed some promise, or has some traits that should be a good a fit for EtH; Telles, Dalot, Lindelof, Elanga. But where the question is if there's really enough overall quality there. And there's donny, who's performed really really well in the past under the same manager.

Not saying we've got most of what we need, but there are a fair few question marks and that goes both ways.

redmanx

To be honest I think its futile trying to second guess our team for next season, ETH has his own ideas and we just have to wait and see; but theres one thing I really do believe he must do and thats make Cristiano Ronaldo the captain. Ronaldo has the respect of every other player at United, or should have, and the same with new recruits. He has shown more desire and drive and ambition than just about any other United player this season and its very clear that losing hurts, he hates it, even more so when he sees his team mates give up or stroll about as if they couldnt care less. Ronaldo cares; he loves the Club and we must make full use of that in what may well be his final season with us. Ronaldo is a winner, and we have very, very few of them.

Olecurls99

If the teams being rolled out in this thread are what we are going into next season with, we're in big trouble and have aspirations of no more than 4th place.
You have to be realistic. We're in bits. I would grab your hand off right now for 4th place

choccy77

Oh I don't know that you can really be as sure as that. You have a few players who's had a really bad season, but whose peak levels over the past couple of seasons suggest they might not be write-offs: Shaw, Maguire and Rashford. Can't rule them out, even if they're looking pretty miserable right now. Fred's not bad - and it's noteworthy that he has pretty consistently performed well when the team around him has managed to execute a structured game plan. He may well be someone who profits from having a new manager. Then there are players who's showed some promise, or has some traits that should be a good a fit for EtH; Telles, Dalot, Lindelof, Elanga. But where the question is if there's really enough overall quality there. And there's donny, who's performed really really well in the past under the same manager.

Not saying we've got most of what we need, but there are a fair few question marks and that goes both ways.
I'm talking about Challenging and being Title winners.

I stand by what I said. The squad is below average at best.

justsomebloke

I'm talking about Challenging and being Title winners.

I stand by what I said. The squad is below average at best.
That's not going to happen next season no matter what we do. Not the PL anyway.

And the squad is clearly not below average, since we're finishing in the top 3rd despite many key players performing hugely below their best, and despite our failures collectively. If the squad was below average, our results would actually be a big overachievement.

Last edited:

choccy77

That's not going to happen next season no matter what we do. Not the PL anyway.

And the squad is clearly not below average, since we're finishing in the top 3rd despite many key players performing hugely below their best, and despite our failures collectively. If the squad was below average, our results would actually be a big overachievement.
Top 3 of what?

We will be lucky to finish 6th

justsomebloke

But we can only finish 6th or 7th.... what are you on about?
There are 20 teams in the PL. The teams who finish in the top 6-7 is the top third of that. Which by definition is above average.

All I'm saying is maybe you're exaggerating a bit here. The squad isn't THAT bad.

AndySmith1990

There are 20 teams in the PL. The teams who finish in the top 6-7 is the top third of that. Which by definition is above average.

All I'm saying is maybe you're exaggerating a bit here. The squad isn't THAT bad.
It cost almost as much as City's squad, significantly more than Liverpool, and we have one of the highest wage bills on the planet. As far as value for money goes the squad is appalling.

Cathy Ferguson

Starting

DDG
McTominay Timber Varane Shaw
De Jong CM
Sancho Bruno Rashford/Striker
Ronaldo/Striker

Consider selling Maguire to raise funds. I still believe Shaw and Rashford can lift themselves.

choccy77

The squad is bloody awful.

Have you seen City, Liverpool, Madrid lately?

Our squad is pathetic in comparison and fortunate to even be top 10 quality this season.

Ten Hag has a tough 3 years ahead of him to get a good balance of quality throughout the squad and challenging for title and trophies... he needs more than that to actually win the title.

The squad had been neglected for far to long sadly.

justsomebloke

The squad is bloody awful.

Have you seen City, Liverpool, Madrid lately?

Our squad is pathetic in comparison and fortunate to even be top 10 quality this season.

Ten Hag has a tough 3 years ahead of him to get a good balance of quality throughout the squad and challenging for title and trophies... he needs more than that to actually win the title.

The squad had been neglected for far to long sadly.
Use some common sense man.

You don't have to be a "pathetic", "bloody awful" squad to not stack up to City, Liverpool and Real.

We've had a year of huge underachievement both individually and collectively, and we're still finishing 6th or 7th. If we had a squad that would be "fortunate to even be top 10 quality this season", and that squad then underperformed to this extent, we'd be relegated.

If you actually, seriously, believe this is a below average squad, then you actually have every reason to be happy as a lark about our results, because they're way better than what a you could reasonably expect from a "below average", "bloody awful" squad.

Again, you're exaggerating.

choccy77

Use some common sense man.

You don't have to be a "pathetic", "bloody awful" squad to not stack up to City, Liverpool and Real.

We've had a year of huge underachievement both individually and collectively, and we're still finishing 6th or 7th. If we had a squad that would be "fortunate to even be top 10 quality this season", and that squad then underperformed to this extent, we'd be relegated.

If you actually, seriously, believe this is a below average squad, then you actually have every reason to be happy as a lark about our results, because they're way better than what a you could reasonably expect from a "below average", "bloody awful" squad.

Again, you're exaggerating.
Your standards are awful, please go support Newcastle or Everton

justsomebloke

Your standards are awful, please go support Newcastle or Everton
This has nothing whatsoever to do with standards or expectations. It's just a question of you using concepts you don't understand the meaning of, and ending up drawing self-contradictory conclusions from them.

choccy77

This has nothing whatsoever to do with standards or expectations. It's just a question of you using concepts you don't understand the meaning of, and ending up drawing self-contradictory conclusions from them.
You said this squad is top 3 quality.

I responded pointing out we are battling for 7th and 6th place and lucky we are not lower.

I think you are clearly the one who lacks understanding at where Manchester United should be.

We should have a squad worthy of top 2 every season, this is the point I'm making, you feel mediocrity is acceptable.

redmanx

You said this squad is top 3 quality.

I responded pointing out we are battling for 7th and 6th place and lucky we are not lower.

I think you are clearly the one who lacks understanding at where Manchester United should be.

We should have a squad worthy of top 2 every season, this is the point I'm making, you feel mediocrity is acceptable.
If not for Ronaldo and DDG we wouldnt have finished in the top 10. We are Manchester United, a top 10 finish simply isnt good enough, neither is top 4, we should be challenging to win the Prem, not hoping to creep in the Champions League via the back door.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Unfortunately, nuking the whole squad and replacing most of them in one window is pretty unlikely. Just as Liverpool couldn't go from this to their current team overnight, either.

Elcabron

If not for Ronaldo and DDG we wouldnt have finished in the top 10. We are Manchester United, a top 10 finish simply isnt good enough, neither is top 4, we should be challenging to win the Prem, not hoping to creep in the Champions League via the back door.
We finished in the top two last season without Ronaldo and an underperforming DDG.

mctrials23

God damn that Liverpool squad was a mess. Shows what a top manager can do over a few years.

spe88

2022-23

De Gea
Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
De Jong Kamara
Sancho Bruno Ronaldo
Nkunku

Johnstone
Wan Bissaka Timber Lindelof Telles
Garner Fred
Elanga Van de Beek Rashford
Garnacho​

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Martial will be striker. Maguire will be captain. One of, if not both, McTominay and Fred will be starting in midfield. One or two new starting players maximum I think. Club doesn't have the capacity / knowhow to conclude a number of deals, particularly with how many outgoing transfers are needed.
I agree with everything you have said except Martial. Martial is desperate to get out of our sinking ship and has made his mind up. Similar to Lingard.
I hope for all our sakes that Lingard and Martial both leave this Summer.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
12 out and 4 in would do it for me.

MUFC FIRST TEAM 22-23

GK
De Gea
Henderson

CB
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
New 60m - 200k pw

FB
Shaw
Telles
Wan Bissaka
New 50m - 200k pw

MF
McTominay
Fred
Fernandes
Van De Beek
Hannibal
New 60m - 300k pw

WING
Rashford
Elanga
Sancho
Diallo

FW
Ronaldo
New 80m - 300k pw

IN Total 250m fees - 1m wages

OUT Total 100m fees - 1.5m wages
Bailly 15m - 80k pw
Jones 5m - 75k pw
Dalot 25m - 45k pw
Pogba Nil - 290k pw
Matic Nil - 120k pw
Lingard Nil - 75k pw
Mata Nil - 160k pw
Greenwood Nil - 75k pw
Cavani Nil - 250k pw
Tuanzabe 15m - 50k pe
Martial 30m - 250k pw
Pereira 10m - 30k pw

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You can talk players all you want however, nothing gets better until things change massively at the very top.
It is no accident that life changed at Liverpool once John Henry and Fenway sports group became involved with the club. The Boston Red Sox hadn’t won a World Series in 86 years, then Henry took over the club and they have now won 4 in the last 20 years. The pattern seems to be repeating at Liverpool. What’s the secret?
United should take a good look at what is happening there.
Glazers need to go.
Agreed on all points.
We have been buying Galactico class (huge transfer fee) players for many years and look where it's got us.
We have the highest wage bill in the EPL and our current form is that of a relegation team. We recently played the worst team in the league - Norwich - and we need the GOAT to put in a GOAT performance to get a win. It really is shocking how bad we are. We got bullied by the worst team in the league.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Unfortunately, nuking the whole squad and replacing most of them in one window is pretty unlikely. Just as Liverpool couldn't go from this to their current team overnight, either.

The problem with this is we haven't anywhere near as bad a team... on paper, and our resources are in a different stratosphere to what theirs were.

We need to phase out what we can, but it doesn't mean we should be rubbish in the meantime. When I said 4th, I meant challenging for that spot, not it being even a certainty, and that be worrying, to me at least.

choccy77

Exactly what I was saying, someone else disagreed apparently

Elcabron

12 out and 4 in would do it for me.

MUFC FIRST TEAM 22-23

GK
De Gea
Henderson

CB
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
New 60m - 200k pw

FB
Shaw
Telles
Wan Bissaka
New 50m - 200k pw

MF
McTominay
Fred
Fernandes
Van De Beek
Hannibal
New 60m - 300k pw

WING
Rashford
Elanga
Sancho
Diallo

FW
Ronaldo
New 80m - 300k pw

IN Total 250m fees - 1m wages

OUT Total 100m fees - 1.5m wages
Bailly 15m - 80k pw
Jones 5m - 75k pw
Dalot 25m - 45k pw
Pogba Nil - 290k pw
Matic Nil - 120k pw
Lingard Nil - 75k pw
Mata Nil - 160k pw
Greenwood Nil - 75k pw
Cavani Nil - 250k pw
Tuanzabe 15m - 50k pe
Martial 30m - 250k pw
Pereira 10m - 30k pw
I'd be more than happy with that but I would probably sell Henderson as well and replace him with Sam Johnstone on free. Also sell AVB for 20m and replace him with Laird. Henderson should fetch 30m minimum and suddenly spending 250m with 150m from sales looks lot more achievable.

Never going to happen of course as apparently it's not possible to sell so many players, do t ask me why however, it's not that complicated.

MrBest

Gk: De gea, new gk 2, heaton
LB: Shaw, Williams
RB: Laid, Dalot
CB: Varane, CB 2, Lindeloff, Jones
DM: new DM1, Garner
CM: Fred, Mctominay, Hannibal
AMC: DVB, Bruno
LF: Sancho, Rashford, Elanga,
RF: New RF, Amad, Pellistri, Garnacho
ST: Ronaldo, New St, Martial

New GK, someone young, hungry with good potential but not a priority position and we could just promote a youth to be third.
New CB, Timber or Torres
New DM, FDJ or Sangara
New RF, Nkunku or Anthony
New St, June

Out the door; Pogba free, Lingard free, Matic free, Mata free, Martial fee, Maguire fee, Bailey fee, AWB loan out.

Realistically, I dont expect a massive overhaul, bit I do expect a minimum 4 signings. I would love to shift out rotten players like Maguire and Martial. We need a squad of around 28 players with youth and experience. There is not way I would allow Ronaldo to leave, even if we got Nunez. Ten Hag will have to work his magic to get some players back to standards, with the stand out beimg Rashy.

dutchred

Starting X1 2022/2023
De Gea
Timber Varane Ignacio Shaw
De Jong
Garner Bruno
Diallo Ronaldo Sancho

Subs
Heaton
Laird Lindelof Carreras
Mejbri, Levitt
Rashford Garnacho

Olecurls99

Looking like

De Gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Eriksen Fred Bruno
Sancho Martial Rashford

Heaton
Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Malacia
Donny Garner Mctominay
Diallo Ronaldo Garnacho

23 Bishop
24 Bailly
25 Hannibal

Plenty of talent in that squad. It'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
GK: DDG Heaton
RB: Dalot Laird (Lindelof)
LB: Shaw Malacia
CB: Martinez Varane Maguire Lindelof
Mid: FDJ Fred Eriksen Bruno VDB McT Garner
FOR: Ronaldo Sancho Rashford Martial New Attacker Garnacho

Hopefully we can at least get FDJ and 1 or 2 new attackers depend on Ronaldo’s situation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As it stands:
  • If we bring in De Jong, we should loan out Garner and probably get rid of Donny and just use Zidane more
  • If we sell Wan Bissaka we need to replace him
  • If we bring in a winger AND keep Ronaldo/replace him with Sesko, we should get rid of Elanga and loan out the other youth and keep Garnacho is the 6th attacker
GK: De Gea, Heaton
RB: Dalot, AWB/New RB
CB: Maguire, Martinez, Varane, Lindelof
LB: Shaw, Malacia
Deeper Midfield: Fred, McTominay, Garner
Advanced midfield: Bruno, Eriksen, Van de Beek
Wing: Rashford, Sancho, Elanga/New Winger, Garnacho
ST: Martial, Ronaldo/Sesko

I would keep Zidane here, but loan Hannibal, Amad, Pellistri. Laird also going on loan. Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, Williams, Chong all a bit pointless and should be sold/loaned out. 10 more players we have to work on getting out of the door either on loan or permanently, without even getting to Ronaldo/Wan Bissaka/Van de Beek or Garner if we get de Jong.

Robbo*

Is Heaton capable of playing first team football if De Gea is unavailable? Thought he was more Grant than Romero.