"Squad rotation"

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
PPPfffhhhhbbb!!! Every match there are posts about Park wasting chances in the box.
Every match there are people complaining about John O'Shea letting the ball roll under/over his foot.

Doesn't mean a lot.

;)

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I can see both sides of the argument but we have plenty of class with players on-the-ball, Park and Hargo off-the-ball are also very sound players.

Which is why I reckoned Park on the right/left and Hargo at right back.

JCurr

I can see both sides of the argument but we have plenty of class with players on-the-ball, Park and Hargo off-the-ball are also very sound players.

Which is why I reckoned Park on the right/left and Hargo at right back.
I would say that Hargo in front of Rafael would not only be more defensively sound but more dangerous.

Rotation is necessary and we have proved it can work very well. It depends on the quality of your squad and the cohesion between all the players. We seem to have the right balance at the moment and long may it continue.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I would say that Hargo in front of Rafael would not only be more defensively sound but more dangerous.
Would make [erfect sense given Rafaels attacking attitude.

Both Park and Hargo could do this, but Hargreaves defensive mentality as opposed to Parks neutral though could help.

JCurr

Would make [erfect sense given Rafaels attacking attitude.

Both Park and Hargo could do this, but Hargreaves defensive mentality as opposed to Parks neutral though could help.
And his eye for a cross. Park has been the most wasteful player in the final third this season, followed closely by Berbatov(but that's a different discussion).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
And his eye for a cross. Park has been the most wasteful player in the final third this season, followed closely by Berbatov(but that's a different discussion).
Yeah, a stupid one. And wholly inaccurate, of course.

Chris H

Video Posting God
We won a trophy today, yet the following players will be fresh as daisies for Newcastle on Wednesday: VDS, Vidic, Carrick, Fletcher, Park, Berbatov, Rooney. That's rotation.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Though Park is actually injury prone himself.
In the sense that his profession is one that involves vigorous physical activity of the type that often leads to injury, you are correct. In any other sense, I don't think that is a fair characterization.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
In the sense that his profession is one that involves vigorous physical activity of the type that often leads to injury, you are correct. In any other sense, I don't think that is a fair characterization.
I mean in the sense he generally spends weeks and months on the sidelines. Football is quite simple at times. But I don't like to blame a player for his injuries, it is sometimes down to luck or the work effort they put in.

To be fair to Park he's been quite good in terms of injuries this season.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Squad rotation is not as bad as it's made out to be - when you have a squad that has been together for a long time. However, I still think it's a bit overrated, and would prefer settled XI

surf

Squad rotation is not as bad as it's made out to be - when you have a squad that has been together for a long time. However, I still think it's a bit overrated, and would prefer settled XI
The days of a settled United XI are gone, and for several good reasons. Ferguson now knows how to rotate this squad - games like Coventry last year seem like a distant bad memory

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
The days of a settled United XI are gone, and for several good reasons. Ferguson now knows how to rotate this squad - games like Coventry last year seem like a distant bad memory
I hope you are right. I would credit the defense for our current position in the standings, not our attack. All those 1-0 wins could have easily been draws, and I think it has to do with the rotation.

RedRover

The first in England though, surely?
Depends what you mean by squad rotation.

The days of the same 11 players playing week in week out have been gone for at least 10 to 15 years.

The standard of football has increased since teh inception of teh PL, and as a result the physical aspects of the game have required players to become fitter. You need a big suqad to cope with injuries and tiredness when you have a season which is at least 40 games long.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Depends what you mean by squad rotation.

The days of the same 11 players playing week in week out have been gone for at least 10 to 15 years.

The standard of football has increased since teh inception of teh PL, and as a result the physical aspects of the game have required players to become fitter
. You need a big suqad to cope with injuries and tiredness when you have a season which is at least 40 games long.
But surely, them being fitter should mean they should be able to cope better with a large number of games...?

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Extreme fitness means people become more, not less, prone to injuries.

Olympic athletes are incredibly fragile.
Tell that to those hundreds of ex pros with hip replacements :)

I just don't buy it, that a player can't play 50 games a season, as players do. Over the last few seasons, players like Rio, Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra are hardly ever rested.

It is normally the players around the spine that is chopped and changed.

So I don't really think it comes down to physical conditions, but tactics and, even more so, keeping a large pool of players happy.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Players can play over 50 games a season but they will be more prone to injuries and drops in form. Rotation keeps them fresher, sharper and less likely to miss games due to niggling injuries turning into something more serious.
Frank Lampard has played something like 1676 consecutive games.

And he is fat.

Rob Bowman

I love this thread.

Most people here have never been in a locker room and therefore only understand this problem as if the were playing FM or FIFA 09 :)!! Look at Eto'o's stats... sign him up. Never realizing what a cancer the guy is in the dressing room. Look at Drogba and his stats, unbelievable really, another cancer who has sworn etrenal loyalty and hatred to Chelsea back and forth since arriving. His own opinion is a revolving door ffs.

Seriosly squad rotation is not a tough concept tactically, and it is certainly not new. The whole trick has been making it work. Real and Chelsea are the two most obvious examples of high priced mercenaries sinking in their own self centered pit of egocentic behavior.

It's a piece of cake lining up a team on FM or FIFA 09. It is a bears bollocks though when taking personalities and egos into consideration. SAF has always put the man management in the front of his leadership. just look at Keane, Beckham, and Rudd. Once they lost sight of working as a team, off they went. Conversely many a muppet on here has asked for Park, and O'Shea, and Fletch to be packed up and shipped out. They fail to realize how valuable these water carriers are in the locker room. How much their personality and spirit mean week in and week out. They will do whatveer asked and smile for SAF. You can not buy that. Also conversely just watch Rooney today or when Scholes scored last week. The spirit in our dressing room is undeniable.

As we have that spirit and it is something that can not be bought, SAF is blessed and can swap people around and you will never hear a bad word and no one wants anything less than success for the team. Squad rotation has long been around. The whole trick has always been to get all the over paid, lazy mercenaries to care more about their team them themselves.

Meet Sir Alex Ferguson :).

OldRed1

you are making that up. In those days, there was just 1 sub!

Nope, SAF introduced this concept of squad rotation.
I think in those days Liverpool set records for the amount of games they went with the same team. It always used to shit me off because United got all these injuries and Liverpool were playing the same team week in, week out.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Remember when this used to be a dirty word(s?)

A few years back, when United were re-building, I remember getting beaten by Norwich with a team that had a number of un-forced changes from the previous league game and I was baffled as to why SAF couldn't see the importance of continuity. I wasn't a member but I'm sure this place was full of caftards moaning about the need for a settled XI.

Similarly, squad rotation was the stick used to bear Benitez in his initial years in the PL, ditto Ranieri at Chelsea.

Now look what's happened. I don't think there's two United fans out there who could agree on our best starting XI. Every league game brings a different line-up and it's almost impossible to predict which team SAF will pick for any given game. Squad rotation is here to stay.

Obviously, not many clubs have the strength in depth to rotate as effectively as we do but I think SAF deserves credit for predicting a future where we would be challenging for so many different trophies and it would be impossible to continue with the tradition of a "first XI", backed up by "squad players". I think the fact we've been rotating for these last few years has created a squad of players that accepts they won't start every game and realises this is for the good of the team. I think this is our biggest strength right now, our ability to shake things up and still field a team of motivated, hungry professionals who realise that they may not play again for a few games but who don't feel the need to go out there and try to prove a point.

Not sure exactly what kind of discussion I'm trying to kick off here (other than to give more praise to the God-like genius of SAF) but I guess I'm just curious if anyone else gone through the same transition that I have - from finding squad rotation pointless and irritating to realising that it is a crucial part of running a modern football club?
Was thinking of this a few days ago.. I absolutely love how SAF has achieved this while keeping all players in harmony.. But yeah over the last few months I have really have realised that the squad is what its all about! I am so happy to watch all different players get a look in every other week..

I love this thread.

Most people here have never been in a locker room and therefore only understand this problem as if the were playing FM or FIFA 09 :)!! Look at Eto'o's stats... sign him up. Never realizing what a cancer the guy is in the dressing room. Look at Drogba and his stats, unbelievable really, another cancer who has sworn etrenal loyalty and hatred to Chelsea back and forth since arriving. His own opinion is a revolving door ffs.

Seriosly squad rotation is not a tough concept tactically, and it is certainly not new. The whole trick has been making it work. Real and Chelsea are the two most obvious examples of high priced mercenaries sinking in their own self centered pit of egocentic behavior.

It's a piece of cake lining up a team on FM or FIFA 09. It is a bears bollocks though when taking personalities and egos into consideration. SAF has always put the man management in the front of his leadership. just look at Keane, Beckham, and Rudd. Once they lost sight of working as a team, off they went. Conversely many a muppet on here has asked for Park, and O'Shea, and Fletch to be packed up and shipped out. They fail to realize how valuable these water carriers are in the locker room. How much their personality and spirit mean week in and week out. They will do whatveer asked and smile for SAF. You can not buy that. Also conversely just watch Rooney today or when Scholes scored last week. The spirit in our dressing room is undeniable.

As we have that spirit and it is something that can not be bought, SAF is blessed and can swap people around and you will never hear a bad word and no one wants anything less than success for the team. Squad rotation has long been around. The whole trick has always been to get all the over paid, lazy mercenaries to care more about their team them themselves.

2 Great posts both this one and the above one..

RedPhil1957

I love this thread.

Quality post --- the spirit in the side is fantastic, and credit must be given to players like Giggs, Scholes and Gazza who obviously set the tone in the dressing room ----- loved Rooney's obvious pleasure at their victory yesterday. I noticed during the celebration of Gigg's goal, against West Ham, Berbatov giving just a little smile that smacked of the sheer joy playing with players like that.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Quality post --- the spirit in the side is fantastic, and credit must be given to players like Giggs, Scholes and Gazza who obviously set the tone in the dressing room ----- loved Rooney's obvious pleasure at their victory yesterday. I noticed during the celebration of Gigg's goal, against West Ham, Berbatov giving just a little smile that smacked of the sheer joy playing with players like that.
It's really difficult to not love Rooney's attitude and behaviour in football.. He celebrated each PK just like a die hard fan of the club would.. While other players in the background were a whole lot more subdued.. I would imagine it would be very tough for a Manchester united fan to say that he is not one of his Favourite players! He is definitely my Favourite..

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
We won a trophy today, yet the following players will be fresh as daisies for Newcastle on Wednesday: VDS, Vidic, Carrick, Fletcher, Park, Berbatov, Rooney. That's rotation.
On top of that, Anderson & Giggs played smaller amounts.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
It's really difficult to not love Rooney's attitude and behaviour in football.. He celebrated each PK just like a die hard fan of the club would.. While other players in the background were a whole lot more subdued.. I would imagine it would be very tough for a Manchester united fan to say that he is not one of his Favourite players! He is definitely my Favourite..
To be fair though, some people are just naturally more subdued than others, doesn't mean they care less. I can never bring myself to jump around while a penalty shootout is going on, A good shaking of the fist when we score yes, but I leave the celebratations for when it's over.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
To be fair though, some people are just naturally more subdued than others, doesn't mean they care less. I can never bring myself to jump around while a penalty shootout is going on, A good shaking of the fist when we score yes, but I leave the celebratations for when it's over.
Are you trying to say you're into fisting?

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I know what you mean.. but that was not what I was trying to portray or imply..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quality post --- the spirit in the side is fantastic, .
and it always has been fantastic. That is one of the hallmarks of the SAF era ever since we won our first peice of silverware with him with the FA cup.

And as others have pointed out, as soon as anyone has threatened that, no matter who they are (Keane, Beckham, RvN) or whether it was totally fair(Stam), they were out.

Rob Bowman

Hey, never meant to imply you have to jump up and down ala Rooney to support, so apologies for that.

I do stand by what I said about the water carriers. Guys who in the locker room make the whole work better. They crack jokes, have great disposition, work tirelessly, never demand, always smile, and accept whatever the coach asks. Can't buy it.

I had this conversation starting with Carricks 1st year as I could see the spirit start to grow as the teammatured and settled. I mean seriously say a player plays every minute of the quater-finals, and semi-finals of CL... only to not even make the bench for the finals? How would Anelka, Cashley, Drogba, or basically any of The Chelsea players handle that ;).

Now look at Park. Happened to him. You want to tell me other players do more on the pitch, no worries I can conceed a bunch do play better on the pitch. But now find me one person who would handle that situation off the pitch better. Seriously can you name anyone in football who would handle it better?