Squash...

Reddish

Is a brilliant, and well under-rated sport.

That's it.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
One of those sports that's pretty boring to watch but fun to play yourself.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
i used to play....brilliant sport which is underrated.

im thinking of starting playing again.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Im going to play it next week for the first time. I heard your legs hurt for a week after only 45 mins of squash.

Reddish

Im going to play it next week for the first time. I heard your legs hurt for a week after only 45 mins of squash.
Depends on your fitness I suppose.

It's a sport you can win at even if you're massively over-weight buy using techniques which make your opponent do all the work.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Depends on your fitness I suppose.

It's a sport you can win at even if you're massively over-weight buy using techniques which make your opponent do all the work.
:lol: you got to be extremely fit to play squash...after every shot you have to get back to the T (center of the court)

Reddish

:lol: you got to be extremely fit to play squash...after every shot you have to get back to the T (center of the court)
Technically, if you're good enough you can beat someone by making them do all the running.

It's exteremely difficult though.

Jiggs'Hamstring

Squash is one of the best games around for getting fit, and fitness is a big part of the game, but it is possible to be a good squash player and overweight. Some squash players can still play at a pretty high standard when they get old and fat, just cause of the quality of their strokes

Reddish

Squash is one of the best games around for getting fit, and fitness is a big part of the game, but it is possible to be a good squash player and overweight. Some squash players can still play at a pretty high standard when they get old and fat, just cause of the quality of their strokes
That's what I was trying to say really.

Reddish

I like squash but I am fecking terrible at it. Though i have a decent serve.
The serve is a very small part of the game, but if you get it tight on the wall and make it difficult to return, it's an advantage.

soulblight3r

Technically, if you're good enough you can beat someone by making them do all the running.

It's exteremely difficult though.
Yeah, doesn't mean they can't do the same to you. Plus, if you're really fat and not move much they'll just run into you, call for a block and restart the point.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
played today after a year....couldn't complete the second game as i lost my breath.

need to improve my stamina.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I used to play all the time when I was a kid, but for the last 10 years or so I only ever play like once every few months - which means I'm nowhere near good as I could and probably should be.

Great sport though, very fun to play and great for fitness.

I wouldn't be worried about your legs, I'd be worried about your arse cheeks, particularly the left one if right-handed

EDIT
Seems this thread is dead old, ignore that then really

But love this game, was using it summer for fitness between football seasons and we still play now when we get a call off, it's a great little game

I wish I knew if I was any good though, played four people, three of which I take apart no problems, the 4th is my regular playing partner, and it's something like 15-14 to him

NinjaFletch

How do people get into squash?

Seems like a fun sport to play, but I have no experience whatsoever.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I used to play every week, it's really good because it Travellers you out. I used to play against a mate of mine who was slightly better than me, which was good, because I used to have to run round a lot & get really knackered & beating him, rarely, was a real achievement.

My dad used to play and I first tried playing him when I was 16 or something, which basically amounted to him standing in the middle of the court shouting, "c'mon, you're a young lad, what's the matter with you?" and me running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get anywhere near any of his shots.

I think if I played it today I'd probably expire on the court.

Adebesi

How do people get into squash?

Seems like a fun sport to play, but I have no experience whatsoever.
I played at school. Youd need to find someone else who doesnt play and get into it together I imagine because when you are shit at squash you are really shit at squash, its a simple enough game but you have to get used to hitting the ball, its massively different to somethign like tennis, for example, int he way the ball bounces and the speed of it and even the size of the raquet and the ball. If you had a mate who was up for getting into it as well that would work I imagine, you dont need a teacher or anthing you just want to knock it around with someone at your own level and it will come to you gradually.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Such an under-rated sport. Played it now for 2 years, and the last year has been religiously. Went to watch the British Grand Prix (no F1 jokes) in Manchester this weekend - fantastic.

Before I started, someone who had played it for yonks had told me "You don't play squash to get fit, you have to be fit to play squash". I can see what he meant, although it really does make you fit. To be good though, you really do have to move around so much. I'd love to know the distance professionals run in a single game, given it's pretty much all short sprints constantly. My heart rate right now is 54, and that's all down to squash (to be fair, I play with pretty talented folk).

Get involved guys. So much fun.

arthurka

My uncle used to live in Pakistan and when he moved back he took me with him..
I played it a lot and was rather ok at it. When I moved to Germany I found myself a club who had a tournament every week and a league.
After I moved back home I have been in trouble finding partners to play against at the level I am at, either I am far to good our I get hammered by those who have played this as their main sport for years and years. So I have shelved this a bit which is not good as I love it.. Great sport.

Raptori

Special needs
My dad used to play squash. I think he decided to stop when he got hit on the side of the head by his opponent, apparently my mum could see his skull when she was driving him to the hospital :eek:

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
My dad used to play squash. I think he decided to stop when he got hit on the side of the head by his opponent, apparently my mum could see his skull when she was driving him to the hospital :eek:
I pretty much did this to someone playing table tennis. Doubles, obviously. I got my partner pretty good.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Everyone who plays regularly has been hit a couple of times. Ive been hit twice on the head with the racquet, one was between the eyes! i didn't even feel it although blood was all over the place.

NinjaFletch

Started playing with my mate recently. He's been playing longer and is wiping the floor with me at the minute, but I know I can compete in the rallies I'm just really inconsistent point to point and give away a ton of cheap points whilst he makes me work for mine.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I mean that. How can anyone not just fall in love with squash by watching that? Unless you're weak minded of course :smirk:

As I said earlier on, I started less than 2 years ago now and I was consistently playing with my housemate who happened to be #1 for the team. He was destroying me, but he'd rally with me for ages and just simply watching him (and watching highlights on youtube), it's crazy how much I've improved over such a short space of time (relative). I now occasionally beat him (about 3 or 4 times out of 10 games).

Going to buy tickets to watch the British Open in May too. Ah, what a sport.

Suffering with some serious bum pain from playing my first game in months on Saturday morning

I know, I know, old threads and that...

But I just started playing a few weeks ago, and this...:

I wouldn't be worried about your legs, I'd be worried about your arse cheeks, particularly the left one if right-handed
...is just so true :lol:

Brilliant sport, really loving it. Only problem is my mate doesn't want to play more than twice per week while I'd love to play every other day really...

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I know, I know, old threads and that...

But I just started playing a few weeks ago, and this...:

...is just so true :lol:

Brilliant sport, really loving it. Only problem is my mate doesn't want to play more than twice per week while I'd love to play every other day really...
I play it about once/twice a week these days but a couple of years back I'd play about 2/3 hours every day. Incredible sport. My resting heart rate went down to 42 because of it :lol:

I play it about once/twice a week these days but a couple of years back I'd play about 2/3 hours every day. Incredible sport. My resting heart rate went down to 42 because of it :lol:
I need to get back into this, my squash partner had a kid and stopped playing. I miss it. My t shirts fit better when I play squash regularly.
I actually have no idea how good of a workout it is. I mean I know it is, but in terms of specifics. I'm playing in a few hours, I'll bring my HRM and log it.