Television Squid Game (Netflix)

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The protagonist looks a bit like Hyeung ming Son, doesnt he. Especially when he smiles.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Initially thought it was a bit generic but actually really liked all the twists. The cast is very likeable and obviously the desperation to compete in the games is very relatable.

I think Alice in Borderlands is a better take on the Death Game genre, and just generally one of the best shows that has come out on Netflix in the last decade. Still blown away by that show. But Squid game is a really, really good watch and would reccommend.

Initially thought it was a bit generic but actually really liked all the twists. The cast is very likeable and obviously the desperation to compete in the games is very relatable.

I think Alice in Borderlands is a better take on the Death Game genre, and just generally one of the best shows that has come out on Netflix in the last decade. Still blown away by that show. But Squid game is a really, really good watch and would reccommend.
Started watching Alice in Borderlands can’t get into it, it’s shot in Japan for a Western audience. And pretty much things we’ve seen a million times before when it comes ti characters.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Finished watching it last night, found the whole series enthralling, well shot and extremely moving.

Although I couldn't help but think of the similarities between it and 13 Beloved, a Thai film from years ago, not sure if it has been mentioned before. That's well worth a watch anyhow.

Green_Red

What am I watching. Is it supposed to be some sort of metaphor or what? The best TV program of 2021?

Denis79

I liked it, at first I had some problems with the "over-acting" but the main character grew on me and I thought he was excellent at times. I can recommend Alice in Borderland if you like this type of movies/series (also available on Netflix).

mu4c_20le

I liked it, at first I had some problems with the "over-acting" but the main character grew on me and I thought he was excellent at times. I can recommend Alice in Borderland if you like this type of movies/series (also available on Netflix).
By korean standards it was pretty tame. Alice in Borderland on the other hand felt like a live action anime.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think it wasnt over acting. It's just how Korean are i think. They're expressive like that. After watching alot of Korean movies that's the vibe i get

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I hope season 2 is the year In-ho wins, and we don't see Gi-hun until season 3.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What if Gi-Hun uses his money to change his name, appearance and status and reappear as a VIP. A bit of Edmund Dantes.

Dante

Average bang
What if Gi-Hun uses his money to change his name, appearance and status and reappear as a VIP. A bit of Edmund Dantes.
It was easy to miss at the time, but when Jun Ho (the policeman) was looking for traces of his brother In Ho (the Front Man) in those archives, he found a document that told him In Ho won the Squid Game competition in 2015. So there is precedent for a previous big money winner going back to the island.

Maybe Gi-Hun will accept a job on the inside and end up as the new Front Man.

RedDevil@84

It was easy to miss at the time, but when Jun Ho (the policeman) was looking for traces of his brother In Ho (the Front Man) in those archives, he found a document that told him In Ho won the Squid Game competition in 2015. So there is precedent for a previous big money winner going back to the island.

Maybe Gi-Hun will accept a job on the inside and end up as the new Front Man.
Gi-Hun will need to probably murder In Ho to get the job :D
I think the creator intended the series to end and not create a revenge story as such. Maybe the creator will create a back story on how In Ho becomes the Front Man. Who knows? Maybe there will be a a chance to see an elaborate storyline for Gong Yoo as well

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Enjoyed it. Guessed who the Front Man was early doors, also guessed a higher role for Old Man - and I’m not one who usually susses most of the plot quickly, so I’d say most got to this early on too. It was just a question of how it all played out.

roseguy64

Enjoyed it. Guessed who the Front Man was early doors, also guessed a higher role for Old Man - and I’m not one who usually susses most of the plot quickly, so I’d say most got to this early on too. It was just a question of how it all played out.
A lot of people didn't figure out the old man and front man based on the reaction videos and comments on social media I've seen.

RedDevil@84

I had figured out the front man, after the police guy found out his brother had won it, but didn't think the old man had anymore role.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
My wife managed to figure out the old man thing pretty early too, I thought it was too obvious to be true so told her it was silly.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My wife managed to figure out the old man thing pretty early too, I thought it was too obvious to be true so told her it was silly.
that was my feeling as well, too obvious! It escalated when I didn’t see his faith after the marbles game. I felt he had a role, but probably not a key player in the organisation of the games. Was a good twist but in the end you could see it coming.

I had figured out the front man, after the police guy found out his brother had won it, but didn't think the old man had anymore role.
Ya same point confirmed it in my mind. He was Front Man or at least a VIP

MoskvaRed

It was entertaining even if the quality fell after the brilliant episode 6.

I felt though that it could have delivered much more. It touched on various themes (inequality, the consumer debt driven society, the marginalisation of the elderly) without developing them or drawing us deeper into the characters.

Withnail

Do you all actively try to figure stuff out and spoiler shows for yourselves?

I didn't figure out the brother or the old man as I don't try to. It lessens my enjoyment.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM

I didn't figure out the brother or the old man as I don't try to. It lessens my enjoyment.
I'll admit that I'm the same.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

I do like to try figure it out to a certain point. It’s just my way of taking it in and understanding what’s going on.l (we’ll try to)

But I don’t go out of my way to work it all out, more like a murder mystery - “I reckon he done it” etc. With there only been 9 episodes (even less if you consider the first 2 episodes are the build up), the little tells they give along the way are more noticeable and stack up quicker here.

Withnail

I do like to try figure it out to a certain point. It’s just my way of taking it in and understanding what’s going on.l (we’ll try to)

But I don’t go out of my way to work it all out, more like a murder mystery - “I reckon he done it” etc. With there only been 9 episodes (even less if you consider the first 2 episodes are the build up), the little tells they give along the way are more noticeable and stack up quicker here.
Yeah I do get there's a certain amount that you need to do as you process it.

I just saw a lot of figuring it out type posts and I find it interesting as I rarely figure that stuff out but my brother is the opposite. Even if he doesn't want to it just pops into his head. He's ruined a lot of shows on himself and if there's any kind of suspension of disbelief required you can forget it. He's actually banned me from using the phrase 'suspension of disbelief' :lol:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Just finished Alice in Borderland. Think I liked it more, but both very good. Death games but fair bit of difference.