Stéphanie Frappart to referee UEFA Super Cup

rio's upper lip

She's not the first female referee in men's football, but certainly the first female to referee a game of this magnitude, no?

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2617533.html

"UEFA is breaking new ground by appointing Stéphanie Frappart to referee the UEFA Super Cup on 14 August. This will be the first time that a female official takes charge of a major UEFA men's competition event – a showpiece match seen as the curtain-raiser to the new season, pitting the UEFA Champions League holders against the winners of the UEFA Europa League at Beşiktaş Park in Istanbul."

Football is evolving!

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
She's just been promoted to the main referee roster of Ligue 1 for 2019/20. I haven't seen her referee a game yet.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I see no reason why not.

This is a game that will decide who is the best (and second best) side in Europe so it's probably the biggest club game in the sport.

stevoc

Makes sense to bring some of the best referees from womens football over to the mens game.

Are there many male referees in the womens game?

JakeRockwell

She's just been promoted to the main referee roster of Ligue 1 for 2019/20. I haven't seen her referee a game yet.
This would be my only issue with it, if the referee (no matter what gender) has only just been promoted up then surely they aren't proven enough to referee this game.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Makes sense to bring some of the best referees from womens football over to the mens game.

Are there many male referees in the womens game?
About 50/50 in the Women's Super League.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Seems like an interesting idea, presumably VAR will make this a lot 'easier' as well than it would've been a couple of years ago in such a high profile game.

Jordan_mufc

Excellent! Our game is moving forward.

Now that the dinosaurs like Keys and Gray are being eradicated from the game, female officials might get a fair shake of the stick this time around.

Reactions: Sultan

SER19

Perhaps she's an outlier but the standard of refereeing at the world Cup was absolutely disgraceful. That's not an overstatement. It was truly appalling. Not sure how it amounts to evolution either, if the men's game evolves further on this path what's the next step in the evolutionary process

Pagh Wraith

Good. Physical differences between men and women shouldn't affect refereeing performances so I don't see why female referees shouldn't be introduced into the men's game as long as they are good enough. Might cause the players to behave a little better as well as an added bonus (even though it shouldn't).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Will VAR be available for offsides and the like? Asking for a mate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder whether we will get less aggression towards referees if it's a woman?

I think some men will be more cautious to shout at them and be more respectful, others may be the other way and try to intimidate, but they'll get a bad reputation like that.

Could be a good thing for the game perhaps.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wonder whether we will get less aggression towards referees if it's a woman?

I think some men will be more cautious to shout at them and be more respectful, others may be the other way and try to intimidate, but they'll get a bad reputation like that.

Could be a good thing for the game perhaps.
They shouldn't be crowding the ref full stop! Refs were supposed to be stamping this out but they still just let it go. A few more yellows and reds would soon sort the situation out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They shouldn't be crowding the ref full stop! Refs were supposed to be stamping this out but they still just let it go. A few more yellows and reds would soon sort the situation out.
I think it's much better than it used to be. Back in the days of Mourinho's Chelsea or us with Keane and Stam, Arsenal with Vieira etc..

Red_toad

Sterilise the game too much and it’ll no longer capture the hearts and minds of the public.
We’re heading towards a game with zero talking points. Transfer windows will be anticipated so there’s something to talk about.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think it's much better than it used to be. Back in the days of Mourinho's Chelsea or us with Keane and Stam, Arsenal with Vieira etc..
I think it's getting just as bad to be honest, especially with the introduction of VAR. Players are crowding the ref more and more and with more aggression too in my opinion. Like I said refs just need to get tough and stamp it out. Players making the TV sign are supposed to get carded automatically. Don't think I've seen it happen once.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
She's not the first female referee in men's football, but certainly the first female to referee a game of this magnitude, no?

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2617533.html

"UEFA is breaking new ground by appointing Stéphanie Frappart to referee the UEFA Super Cup on 14 August. This will be the first time that a female official takes charge of a major UEFA men's competition event – a showpiece match seen as the curtain-raiser to the new season, pitting the UEFA Champions League holders against the winners of the UEFA Europa League at Beşiktaş Park in Istanbul."

Football is evolving!
let's hope she sends of a few of the dippers

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Sterilise the game too much and it’ll no longer capture the hearts and minds of the public.
We’re heading towards a game with zero talking points. Transfer windows will be anticipated so there’s something to talk about.
You're not of those that would like to see poor decisions being made in a match just that 'we have something to argue about in the pub on a Friday night'? I'm not talking about sterilising the game. I'm just talking about players ganging up on the ref every time they don't agree with a decision. It looks bad and shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't happen in any other sport. I wouldn't mind if just the captain approached the ref and waved his teammates away but to have 5 or 6 players shouting at him/her all at once is just not on.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Seems a strange choice then - launching her into a high profile game without much first class experience.

Good. Physical differences between men and women shouldn't affect refereeing performances so I don't see why female referees shouldn't be introduced into the men's game as long as they are good enough. Might cause the players to behave a little better as well as an added bonus (even though it shouldn't).
I hope that's the case.

But I do remember a poster on here (a referee maybe?) saying that the women refs weren't yet being required to meet the same physical standards as the men. That's one of he reasons why in England we see more female assistant refs than refs (well that, and there are more assistants mathematically speaking :smirk:). Hopefully that's not the case with the UEFA panel refs, because it would set a poor precedent and set up the women refs to fail.

Rista

If they meet the same standards as men do, there is no reason why women shouldn't officiate men's games. Not sure what it has to do with football evolving though.

Kag

PR stunt.

She isn’t remotely experienced enough to referee this game. Her gender is irrelevant, too. UEFA wouldn’t employ a male referee that has never really officiated outside of the Championship before. She should be no different.

SER19

Nice for her but surely a referee should be moved up through the ranks organically, regardless of their gender/sex/colour
Yep, somebody with more experience has been passed over for a job they would have been proud to take. In the name of what?

lilcurt

PR stunt.

She isn’t remotely experienced enough to referee this game. Her gender is irrelevant, too. UEFA wouldn’t employ a male referee that has never really officiated outside of the Championship before. She should be no different.
My thoughts exactly, I'm all for gender equality but this is where it goes too far the other way.

How many other referees (of either sex) are more qualified for this game. Feels like a slap in the face to them.

hocane

What i struggle to understand is this.

How is the women's game supposed to grow if the best female refs and coaches goes over to the men's game? Genuine question.

izec

PR stunt.

I agree, Uefa just want to push through with their equal agenda. Equality is nice, but not like this

Kag

I agree, Uefa just want to push through with their equal agenda. Equality is nice, but not like this
Which is ironic given the compete ambivalence with which they seem to approach widespread racism.