Standing Ovation for Ole?

032Devil

I didn't see the game until last night. Ole's team looks like a clone of the SAF's team.

I noticed at the end of the game that some of the director's stayed behind to give the manager a standing ovation. I'm I right or have I misread the situation.

If my observation is right then all this talk of sacking him might very well be mute?

MrVolley

Oh please! Ole's team is nothing like a SAF team.

Where was the 70% possession and 25 shots?

032Devil

Early days.

Certainly, we haven't seen attacking play like this for a very long time. Not under Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho. Like Ferguson, Ole needs to buy players to strengthen the team further. It took our iconic manager almost three years to build a team that became his hallmark and then some.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I didn't see the game until last night. Ole's team looks like a clone of the SAF's team.

I noticed at the end of the game that some of the director's stayed behind to give the manager a standing ovation. I'm I right or have I misread the situation.

If my observation is right then all this talk of sacking him might very well be mute?
He's not going to be sacked any time soon. The last two games alone might have earned him an extra transfer window.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

To be fair you're right. Ole didn't get beat 6-1 at home to City either. ;)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Moot.

stepic

Fergie's teams could also beat the lower half of the table, unlike Ole's team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A standing ovation is nothing major, they tend to get them all the time when a manager walks over after a win.

Edit - you're referring to directors. Again I wouldn't read much into it. It was more that it was versus City which I'm sure they were chuffed with.

Shark

@NotShark
That takes time to build, team cohesion and chemistry. It takes time to work on patterns
It hasn't taken Rodgers, Klopp or Pep this long to get the better of lower half teams. They should be your bread and butter if you want to be among those top four places and no matter what anyone says on here, Ole's job is still at risk until he does it because it's a results business.

Gasolin

A standing ovation is nothing major, they tend to get them all the time when a manager walks over after a win.

Edit - you're referring to directors. Again I wouldn't read much into it. It was more that it was versus City which I'm sure they were chuffed with.
It's still great, and I also see similarities with the 2008 teams... something is happening and we should let Ole do it.

Gasolin

It hasn't taken Rodgers, Klopp or Pep this long to get the better of lower half teams. They should be your bread and butter if you want to be among those top four places and no matter what anyone says on here, Ole's job is still at risk until he does it because it's a results business.
Jose couldn't fix our defense problem. So it takes time.
We had started to score quite a lot on the last 7 games. So that part is getting fixed. etc...

ReddBalls

It didn't? Does not look like Klopp were smashing the minnows regularly at the start of his second season.

12 August 20171Watford3–3LiverpoolshowWatford
19 August 20172Liverpool1–0Crystal PalaceshowLiverpool
27 August 20173Liverpool4–0ArsenalshowLiverpool
9 September 20174Manchester City5–0LiverpoolshowManchester
16 September 20175Liverpool1–1BurnleyshowLiverpool
23 September 20176Leicester City2–3LiverpoolshowLeicester
14 October 20178Liverpool0–0Manchester UnitedshowLiverpool
28 October 201710Liverpool3–0Huddersfield TownshowLiverpool
4 November 201711West Ham United1–4LiverpoolshowStratford, London
18 November 201712Liverpool3–0SouthamptonshowLiverpool
25 November 201713Liverpool1–1ChelseashowLiverpool
29 November 201714Stoke City0–3LiverpoolshowStoke-on-Trent
2 December 201715Brighton & Hove Albion1–5LiverpoolshowFalmer
10 December 201716Liverpool1–1EvertonshowLiverpool
13 December 201717Liverpool0–0West Bromwich AlbionshowLiverpool

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Away to City

Season​
Possession (%)​
Shots​
Shots on Target​
Final score​
2010/11​
53.4​
10​
3​
0:0 (D)
2011/12​
47.5​
5​
0​
1:0 (L)
2012/13​
43.8​
10​
3​
2:3 (W)
2019/20​
28.1​
11​
7​
1:2 (W)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Early days.

Certainly, we haven't seen attacking play like this for a very long time. Not under Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho. Like Ferguson, Ole needs to buy players to strengthen the team further. It took our iconic manager almost three years to build a team that became his hallmark and then some.
Yes knight Ole for his managerial achievements with us :lol: We've seen quality attacking play on and off before. Mourinho had multiple 4-0s in a row. The away game when be beat Chelsea and Martial scored two. LVG went on a terrific run beating big teams.

RedIan

We are all so fickle. Last week some people were questioning Oles 3 buys, Maguire /WBS/James.
Two good wins and they are great buys again... ive always said they were great buys... 3 more like that in January and 3 more in the summer and then lets judge...

I have changed my mind on ole several times and the still jury is out... BUT - i always remember, 3 years into Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign and chants of Fergie out ringing Loud around Old Trafford.. banners held aloft - “Fergie out”

Had this forum been going in 1986/87/88/89 the clamour for Fergie sacking would have been huge, deafening and far greater than calls for Oles sacking are..

13 prem titles,
2 champs leagues,
5 Fa cups,
4 league cups later........

sunama

Baghdad Bob
To compare Ole with Fergie is laughable.
The problem we have right now is a lot of fans are new and were supporting the club when SAF was in charge.
So they assume that SAF would win 2 games in a row and think this was a good result.

I accept that these last 2 games were great results for him. The team played well in both matches. Absolutely no doubt about that.

But his win rate is so pitifully low, in any other top 10 club had him as manager, he'd be fired.
Moreover, when he does get fired, no other EPL club would be prepared to take him. Even those in the relegation zone.
I'd also guess that no team in the Championship would want him as manager.

I realise that the last 2 matches were great results, but we need to look at Ole's performances for the whole season and not just 2 matches in isolation.
I remember when LVG had his 3 match purple patch. Many clung onto those 3 games we won, but in truth, LVG just wasn't suited to MUFC, where boring football is frowned upon.
Ole's claim to fame is the PSG game last season and now these 2 matches. All great performances, but we can't ignore the other results.

He is worse than D.Moyes and Moyes was grossly underqualified for the role.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The problem we have right now is a lot of fans are new and were supporting the club when SAF was in charge.
So they assume that SAF would win 2 games in a row and think this was a good result.

I accept that these last 2 games were great results for him. The team played well in both matches. Absolutely no doubt about that.

But his win rate is so pitifully low, in any other top 10 club had him as manager, he'd be fired.
Moreover, when he does get fired, no other EPL club would be prepared to take him. Even those in the relegation zone.

I realise that the last 2 matches were great results, but we need to look at Ole's performances for the whole season and not just 2 matches in isolation.
I remember when LVG had his 3 match purple patch. Many clung onto those 3 games we won, but in truth, LVG just wasn't suited to MUFC, where boring football is frowned upon.
Ole's claim to fame is the PSG game last season and now these 2 matches. All great performances, but we can't ignore the other results.

I am sorry but this is an awful post. Maybe try and get behind the manager and team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are all so fickle. Last week some people were questioning his 3 buys, Maguire /WBS/James.
Two good wins and they are great buys again... ive always said they were great buys... 3 more like that in January and 3 more in the summer and then lets judge...

I have changed my mind on ole several times and the still jury is out... BUT - i always remember, 3 years into Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign and chants of Fergie out ringing Loud around Old Trafford.. banners held aloft - “Fergie out”

Had this forum been going in 1986/87/88/89 the clamour for Fergie sacking would have been huge, deafening and far greater than calls for Oles sacking are..

13 prem titles,
2 champs leagues,
5 Fa cups,
4 league cups later........
You can't compare 1987 with 2019. TImes have changed. Money has increased and people demand near instant results.
Also, MUFC were not the biggest team in the EPL at that time.
Also, they did not have the kind of budget to spend on players, like we have now.
Our stadium wasn't as big.
Fergie came into the job with a history of winning.
Ole came into the MUFC job with a history (in the English league) of losing.

I could go on and on, but you get my point.

redIndianDevil

FFS. Two decent wins suddenly Ole is transformed into peak Fergie. I'm pretty sure the OP will come and cry about crap players when we get fecked over by minnows.

We are doing to teams like City, Liverpool, Spurs etc what the Sheffield United, newcastle and Crystal palace have done to us. This doesn't mean Ole has suddenly transformed into a tactical genius. Our players are better when there is huge space against them just like most of the players are but when we face a parked bus or a tactically smart team, our lack of coaching gets exposed.

KennyBurner

Look at this picture. We are the only ones to blame for not recruiting an attacking midfielder and adding depth in the summer. I genuinely believe we could have been ahead of Leicester if we’re lucky with injuries and added more squad depth. Thankfully we aren’t even passed the half way point and can still catch up for 4th place. Well done to Ole though because we have been very good against the top 6.

amolbhatia50k

FFS. Two decent wins suddenly Ole is transformed into peak Fergie. I'm pretty sure the OP will come and cry about crap players when we get fecked over by minnows.

We are doing to teams like City, Liverpool, Spurs etc what the Sheffield United, newcastle and Crystal palace have done to us. This doesn't mean Ole has suddenly transformed into a tactical genius. Our players are better when there is huge space against them just like most of the players are but when we face a parked bus or a tactically smart team, our lack of coaching gets exposed.
It's truly strange. It's one thing to believe in him and his ideas/potential. Another to pretend he's done something nobody else has managed/produced attacking football never seen before/is taking us back to the SAF days. Come on now. Everyone is entitled to back whoever they want but let's not twist facts. We've had many good attacking displays these past 7 years. We haven't been a great attacking team over the same period but we've had games where the attack has clicked. We've also won trophies in that time. This notion that were seeing something new doesn't corroborate with the facts.

I too hope we build on these games and it sees Oles vision finally be clear and obvious in our football, and also be impressive. But let's not change facts.

amolbhatia50k

Look at this picture. We are the only ones to blame for not recruiting an attacking midfielder and adding depth in the summer. I genuinely believe we could have been ahead of Leicester if we’re lucky with injuries and added more squad depth. Thankfully we aren’t even passed the half way point and can still catch up for 4th place. Well done to Ole though because we have been very good against the top 6.
Definitely. Very well done against the big boys. It's been rubbish against the rest though.

If he's here for awhile let's hope he achieved top 4 which is the goal I presume.

KennyBurner

Context matters. I think rogers would also struggle if he lost both vardy and Maddison for 3 months. Then add the little injuries to ndidi and co and I doubt he would be second right now. I’m still slightly on the fence with Ole but he has done a good job given the circumstances. He deserves another window even if things don’t work out for him here. It’s also safe given his 3 transfers have been great in comparison to our previous managers.

tenpoless

What do you mean? everyone stood up at the end of the game.

I'm enjoying the wins a lot. But can We not make such a fickle thread every time?
Lose a game and people lose their shit, calling Ole an arsehole etc.
Win a game and threads like these appear, praising Ole like He's the new Sir Alex.

It always has to be one extreme or the other isn't it? ridiculous.

bsCallout

I'm sure you're a troll but i'll bite.

Ole is fifth in the table, 5 points of top 4 with 4 very winnable games coming up.

A lot of our struggles this season have come down to the fact we have struggled to break down the smaller teams defensive set up. Usually you have a creative player to help with this.

Who is the one player we have missed for the majority of this season? Oh, our creative player.

If Pogba returns for the next 4, I genuinely expect us to get maximum points and then all of a sudden we are unbeaten in 10+, 14 from 18 against the top 6, all when we have suffered from more injuries to key players all season than our rivals.

Let's see how those games go, and see the improvements made in the January transfer window before throwing out a manager that is doing better with a worse squad than Tottenham & Arsenal. All whilst introducing many youngsters into the team and his new players that have all performed. Perhaps we'll see how those above us manage when they lose 3 key players too. Oh and we still have the cups to play for.

AshRK

One step at a time. We should not flip flop after every other game. We have to see if Ole manages to get 3 points and wins consistently. I have seen some improvement since the Liverpool game but consistency is lacking. Maybe injuries did affect him big time but he made a mistake not signing replacement for Herrera. He cannot afford to do the same and needs to b e more demanding from the board. I really want him to do well but we have to take one step at a time.

El Presidente

Where's Arsenal dammit :lol:

Son

Worth noting, Fergies teams often surrendered possession for a counter-attacking tactic when playing away to big rivals.
This. I’m not Ole’s biggest fan in fact I’ve openly criticised his methods many a time as our manager but it was an awesome moment at the end of that City match.

Sir Alex never had 70 percent of the ball from what I remember. Football was very different in the 90’s and 00’s.

When we beat Barcelona in 2008 we barely had any of the ball in both legs yet all the best chances. Should have won by more than 1-0 on aggregate. Even Barcelona in 99’ where more comfortable on the ball than us from what I remember from those group games. Bayern too.

R'hllor

Ever since JM and his following, this place went totally nuts.

Jeffthered

Early days.

Everyone needs to take a little bit of a breath. It's great, because this time last week, things were far gloomier, and I for one have said that Ole' has for the time being, silenced his critics. We attacked very well, against a team that got their tactics all wrong... Pep tweaked things in second 45, and things were a little different. Let's keep things in perspective. I actually, still feel, we play as if we haven't anything to lose. Like the underdog. I am not sure how I feel about that.

I want to see us control a game, win games consistently, playing different ways.

I still do not think we have a playing 'style'... aside from just playing on the break perhaps. But I welcome this change in results, because it should give us a confidence boost.

However.. when teams drop deeper, kill the game a bit (as we all saw how pathetic Spurs were... and how open City's midfield were..) it will be interesting how we deal with that.

This 'style' of play, reminds of the current England set-up.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I’m probably in minority but I like when people in general go over board. We won against two of our biggest rivals and Ole made us feel for a few moments that the United of old is back. What is it to not be happy about?

We‘re far from the finished product but the signs looks good. I’m fickle so until the next time we lose I’m over the moon.

Red Devil's Advocate

That's highly debatable. Rodgers walked into a team that has been thriving in mid-table and hasn't had major tweaks to the personnel. It's all about organic progression. In our case we are rebuilding.

Klopp's team capitulated to lesser opponents in the initial season or two.
Pep inherited a fantastic team that had a solid spine and was already in the top-4.